Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Maybe she’ll get worked into season two.
It was for S2.
Old 01-22-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
It was for S2.
Gotcha. I didn’t know if it was for season one and she couldn’t for some reason or whatever. I would guess we’ll see her next year then. Can’t imagine she wouldn’t do it.
Old 01-22-20, 11:31 AM
Banned

Gotcha. I didn’t know if it was for season one and she couldn’t for some reason or whatever. I would guess we’ll see her next year then. Can’t imagine she wouldn’t do it.
She was literally speechless for most of the rest of the interview. She said TNG was one of the best things she ever did.
Old 01-22-20, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She was literally speechless for most of the rest of the interview. She said TNG was one of the best things she ever did.
Probably a yes then. Cool, I’m down to see what Guinan is up to now days.
Old 01-22-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Guinan coming back would be amazing. Top 3 characters from TNG IMO.
Old 01-22-20, 11:40 AM
Banned

Probably a yes then. Cool, I’m down to see what Guinan is up to now days.
When I get home from the hospital I know what I'm rewatching.
Old 01-22-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I love Guinan so this is awesome. It's even cooler considering the hoops Goldberg had to jump through to get the job on TNG.
Old 01-22-20, 01:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i saw that. she really got emotional. said filming that series was best time she ever had and still gushes about it...
Old 01-22-20, 01:21 PM
Banned

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1...879568897?s=20
Originally Posted by OldBoy
i saw that. she really got emotional. said filming that series was best time she ever had and still gushes about it...
She genuinely loves the show and talks all the time about it. They should have used her character more across all the series and movies,. I never really understood why they didn't.
Old 01-22-20, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, last we saw her was in Generations. So it’s been a long time since she’s played the character.
Old 01-22-20, 03:59 PM
Banned

Yeah, last we saw her was in Generations. So it’s been a long time since she’s played the character.
And they left that sort of open ended, where she could essentially come back at any given place or time.
Old 01-22-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the Star Trek on CBS All Access Facebook page posted that episodes drop Wednesday at midnight. Guess I’ll be staying up waiting for it. I’ll start the thread for episode one once the title and synopsis is put up later on.
Old 01-22-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1...879568897?s=20

I LOVE that. I've seen it 2 or 3 times and I get choked up with each viewing. Her reaction is so genuine. I'm also happy that my expectation that this post would be full of negative comments about this was wrong. I'm in a "Star Trek Discovery" group that literally has "POSITIVE FANS" in the name to discourage hatin' ass fandom/Trekkie trolls and even in there people are being assholes about Whoopie coming to s2 of Picard.
Old 01-22-20, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I LOVE that. I've seen it 2 or 3 times and I get choked up with each viewing. Her reaction is so genuine. I'm also happy that my expectation that this post would be full of negative comments about this was wrong. I'm in a "Star Trek Discovery" group that literally has "POSITIVE FANS" in the name to discourage hatin' ass fandom/Trekkie trolls and even in there people are being assholes about Whoopie coming to s2 of Picard.
Why would someone have something negative to say about someone who genuinely enjoyed their role? The Guinan character was a good one too. I just don't understand some people.
Old 01-22-20, 06:55 PM

I’ve never seen any series, but liked most of the movies, oddly, new and old cast, but really want to see this one for some reason. Can’t wait to binge it. What 8 eps?
Old 01-22-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I've always liked Guinan even though the character is primarily a vehicle to squeeze a celebrity into a recurring character spot on the show. Which is a testament to the strength of Goldberg (and Stewart's) performance and the quality of the writing.

I'm not sure if Guinan could be considered to be a magical negro, though, since is she is explicitly not human, but the sage, advice-dispensing character certainly seems to fit the stereotype. I could see that being off-putting to some people; Stephen King's apparent fascination with the trope can be kind of cringey, but since Whoopi is playing Mother Abigail in The Stand, I don't she minds.

Speaking of Guinan, I liked the "Time's Arrow" two-parter more when I realized that story explained the complex relationship between Picard and Guinan. And I've always been disappointed that we never got to see what happened between Guinan and Q in the past.

Old 01-22-20, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would someone have something negative to say about someone who genuinely enjoyed their role? The Guinan character was a good one too. I just don't understand some people.
The people I’ve seen who are upset over her being offered to reprise her role are those who disagree with her political views.
Old 01-22-20, 07:17 PM
Banned

The people I’ve seen who are upset over her being offered to reprise her role are those who disagree with her political views.
Which has nothing to do with her acting. The Guinan character was pretty liberal anyways.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-24-20)
Old 01-22-20, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which has nothing to do with her acting. The Guinan character was pretty liberal anyways.
Yeah. I could really give a shit less about her politics. I also find it funny when I read more conservative complaints about Star Trek. The entire series is pretty damn liberal and has definite underlying messages about equality. Nothing new at all about that.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-24-20)
Old 01-22-20, 07:50 PM

It’s just like other actors with strong views. I’ll watch Tim Robbins, Mel Gibson, etc...I may not agree, especially Gibson, but I judge acting bc I’m watching a movie. Which, is not real and they are portraying a character, that usually isn’t a real person. Just a fictitious entity on a screen. Even if real person, I’m watching a recreation of real life. A theatrical movie. That’s all...
Old 01-23-20, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Actually, the last time we saw the character was in Nemesis (at Riker's wedding). It was a pointless, forgettable cameo that did an injustice to such a wonderful character.
Old 01-23-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD
Actually, the last time we saw the character was in Nemesis (at Riker's wedding). It was a pointless, forgettable cameo that did an injustice to such a wonderful character.
I don’t even remember that, but it’s been a while since I’ve watched Nemesis.
Old 01-23-20, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PatD
I don't remember that either. But that's proof they can do whatever they want with the character.
Old 01-23-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've always liked Guinan even though the character is primarily a vehicle to squeeze a celebrity into a recurring character spot on the show.
That's definitely what it felt like at the time when she first appeared.

I'm not sure if Guinan could be considered to be a magical negro, though, since is she is explicitly not human, but the sage, advice-dispensing character certainly seems to fit the stereotype. I could see that being off-putting to some people; Stephen King's apparent fascination with the trope can be kind of cringey, but since Whoopi is playing Mother Abigail in The Stand, I don't she minds.
In hindsight her character kind of looks like that trope. But as someone mentioned before, there's also the trope of the bartender who gives advice to patrons, so there's that.
Either way she was a great addition to the cast, and was a better counselor than Troi

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I LOVE that. I've seen it 2 or 3 times and I get choked up with each viewing. Her reaction is so genuine.
I found out a short while back that she was actually a big Star Trek fan and had to lobby to get on the show because it meant so much to her. That definitely makes me appreciate her character even more.

I'm also happy that my expectation that this post would be full of negative comments about this was wrong. I'm in a "Star Trek Discovery" group that literally has "POSITIVE FANS" in the name to discourage hatin' ass fandom/Trekkie trolls and even in there people are being assholes about Whoopie coming to s2 of Picard.
Guinan returning only makes sense since she's supposed to have lived for so long. Way more sense than Data coming back.

Speaking of Guinan, I liked the "Time's Arrow" two-parter more when I realized that story explained the complex relationship between Picard and Guinan. And I've always been disappointed that we never got to see what happened between Guinan and Q in the past.
Same. When Q says, "You don't know her Picard..." I was expecting that was going to be a set up for a future storyline, where Guinan had this crazy, questionable past, or she had some crazy powers like Phoenix from X-Men...something. Instead we just find out she's either immortal or really, really old.
I also thought her and Picard were eventually going to have a brief romance on the show.

Yeah. I could really give a shit less about her politics. I also find it funny when I read more conservative complaints about Star Trek. The entire series is pretty damn liberal and has definite underlying messages about equality. Nothing new at all about that.
I know people complain about politics in comics, but hasn't Star Trek always been the original "SJW" show? Or is there actually a difference between TOS, TNG and Discovery?

Old 01-24-20, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There's no way she didn't already know. That's not how casting works.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.