Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Old 07-29-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Nogura
Can't argue with most of your post, but FYI, this part is not true. Met her myself at a Vulkon in November 2005.
Really? I'd heard she was a total no-show except for the cast reunion for a DVD. She married rich (the CEO of LiveNation) so she doesn't care, obviously.
Old 07-30-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That bolded part alone tells me you don't know what you're talking about.

DISCOVERY has tons of humanity both in humans and aliens. You guys claim you want humanity in ST but when they give it to you in a character like Burnahm you hate her...you hate her being in touch with her human emotions....you hate her being in touch with Vulcan lack of emotions...You HATE HER. I saw post after post bitching that DISCOVERY was being too emotional/Human.
The emotions lacking in Discovery were kindness and compassion. Empathy and sympathy. Roddenberry created Trek to exemplify those emotions. It was about hope for a better future.

What I saw of Discovery had zero kindness, compassion, empathy, or sympathy. It wasn't a better future. It was cold and mechanical. The whole production lacked warmth. Everything had a cold steel sheen to it.

I strongly suspect that Roddenberry would NOT have approved.
Old 07-30-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

So regarding Data coming back, I had seen a video which might explain it. I wouldn’t call it a spoiler as it’s something that’s been out for a while. Obviously there’s no confirmation this is true yet either. Back when the first Abrams film came out in 2009 there was a prequel tie-in comic called Countdown which is supposed to be canon. In that it’s explained that Data was successfully able to transfer himself to B-4. Curious if that’ll actually be the explanation in this series or if it’ll be something else (holodeck or some kind of flashback).
Old 07-30-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Part of that stems from what I said, cause he wasn't from our trek he was from you know where. That was a HUGE reason for the tone of the show. But I didn't mention another MASSIVE problem with the show..Burnahm , probably the worst trek character in trek history not to mention one basically "leading" the show. I still hate her as a character after all this time. Now as others mentioned and I went on about at length when he first came on the show, Pike. Now THAT'S a trek character.
Old 07-31-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

DISCOVERY has tons of humanity both in humans and aliens. You guys claim you want humanity in ST but when they give it to you in a character like Burnahm you hate her...you hate her being in touch with her human emotions....you hate her being in touch with Vulcan lack of emotions...You HATE HER. I saw post after post bitching that DISCOVERY was being too emotional/Human.
i watched two YouTube videos criticizing Discovery at length, and honestly it sounds kind of like what you’re describing. It’s too far from TNG, not respecting canon continuity, and yet it has episodes that don’t jive with the serialized format. Isn’t that what TNG was like for most of the time? Crazy shit happens but everything returns to the status quo by the end of the episode?
The Lorca criticism sounded about right but the other stuff...not so much.
Old 07-31-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So regarding Data coming back, I had seen a video which might explain it. I wouldn’t call it a spoiler as it’s something that’s been out for a while. Obviously there’s no confirmation this is true yet either. Back when the first Abrams film came out in 2009 there was a prequel tie-in comic called Countdown which is supposed to be canon. In that it’s explained that Data was successfully able to transfer himself to B-4. Curious if that’ll actually be the explanation in this series or if it’ll be something else (holodeck or some kind of flashback).
Holodeck makes a lot of sense, but so does B-4. There's no way Data's ORIGINAL body returns, since it was blown to bits - so if he does come back, it will have to be some kind of transfer. I note in the trailer than his eyes are completely different (all yellow instead of just the irises).
Old 07-31-19, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The emotions lacking in Discovery were kindness and compassion. Empathy and sympathy. Roddenberry created Trek to exemplify those emotions. It was about hope for a better future.

What I saw of Discovery had zero kindness, compassion, empathy, or sympathy. It wasn't a better future. It was cold and mechanical. The whole production lacked warmth. Everything had a cold steel sheen to it.

I strongly suspect that Roddenberry would NOT have approved.
I've only seen season 1 but I didn't get this from it. Michael was certainly kind & empathetic (in her own way) with Tilly. She made an outsider feel welcomed and took her under her wing. She obviously struggled with but felt these various emotions with Tyler. Tilly was certainly kind, empathetic, and sympathetic at various times w/ Michael, Tyler, Stamets. Basically everyone in the galley was supportive of Tyler after his Klingon ordeal. That's pretty hopeful.

It is war time Star Trek so that does take some of the optimistic, exploring the galaxy aspects away but I quite enjoyed it as a dramatic series.

Now my quandry is whether to subscribe so that I can watch Season 2 and the upcoming Picard or to be patient and wait for the blu-rays. My TV viewing time is limited and I don't know that I'd watch anything else but Trek content. Ahh, I'll sleep on it.
Old 07-31-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Just use a different email and do another trail and watch it .
Old 07-31-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Holodeck makes a lot of sense, but so does B-4. There's no way Data's ORIGINAL body returns, since it was blown to bits - so if he does come back, it will have to be some kind of transfer. I note in the trailer than his eyes are completely different (all yellow instead of just the irises).
I think the novels had the best solution for how to bring Data back, even if it had to rely on a pretty big retcon.
Old 07-31-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ben12
I think the novels had the best solution for how to bring Data back, even if it had to rely on a pretty big retcon.
I don’t read the novels, what was the retcon to bring him back?
Old 07-31-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I don’t read the novels, what was the retcon to bring him back?
Spoiler:
Dr. Soong wasn't really dead, he just went into hiding. When he heard about Data's sacrifice, he tracked down B-4, pulled Data's memory files into his own body, which can pass for human and a bunch of other stuff. But that's the gist of it.
Old 07-31-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Spoiler:
Dr. Soong wasn't really dead, he just went into hiding. When he heard about Data's sacrifice, he tracked down B-4, pulled Data's memory files into his own body, which can pass for human and a bunch of other stuff. But that's the gist of it.
Spoiler:
Not that I have a lot of attachment to B-4, but I’m not completely sure if I like the idea of bringing Data back while compromising B-4. I would think Data and others would find that somewhat problematic as well, but I guess that could give him something interesting in the new series.
Old 08-01-19, 01:23 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Spoiler:
Not that I have a lot of attachment to B-4, but I’m not completely sure if I like the idea of bringing Data back while compromising B-4. I would think Data and others would find that somewhat problematic as well, but I guess that could give him something interesting in the new series.
Spoiler:
I agree, and that's why I liked the way they brought him back in the books. B-4 was treated like his own sentient entity and not some tool to be used to bring Data back to life.

What Milo left out was that Soong did die. Or his body did. But right after the death scene from TNG, he crawled into a machine that transferred his mind, piece-by-piece (to supposedly maintain continuity of experience) into a new, improved android body. It had more capabilities and looked more like a young Soong than Data or Lore did.

So later when Data is able to take over Soong's new android body, it's because Soong chose to sacrifice himself for his son. It was beautiful really. And if they would use that kind of scenario in TV, it would like Spiner play Data without having to wear all that make-up. It would also allow him to look older because Soong's new android body was able to modify its appearance as he wished. If Data wanted to age along with all his friends (like in the TNG finale), that would totally be possible.

The only flaw in my opinion is that they didn't find a reason to put Data back on the Enterprise. Yes, it did make sense that he wouldn't want to go right back to where he was before he "died" and that he was kind of a different person now with different goals. But c'mon. That means we still are left without Data stories. There were one or two follow-up novels about Data, and they were great. But meanwhile there were four times as many TNG novels that are already missing much of the TNG cast. It would've been great to have Data back there.
Old 08-03-19, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another Voyager favorite may appear on Star Trek: Get Off My Lawn.

Now this could be awesome.
Old 08-03-19, 02:36 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

^^
I would prefer Dr. Crusher and Guinan make an appearance since they were close to Picard. It would be more apropos than having a characters from other shows being shoehorned in.
Old 08-03-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Traxan
Another Voyager favorite may appear on Star Trek: Get Off My Lawn.

Now this could be awesome.
Best character on Voyager in my opinion. That would be pretty cool.

Originally Posted by PatD
^^
I would prefer Dr. Crusher and Guinan make an appearance since they were close to Picard. It would be more apropos than having a characters from other shows being shoehorned in.
Spoiler:
I would think it would be fairly easy to work in The Doctor without it feeling shoehorned in despite the fact that he didn’t appear on TNG. I mean he’s a computer program after all so he wasn’t necessarily exclusive to Voyager. It’s just that we only saw him on that show.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-03-19 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

One of the biggest problems with Discovery is the lack of direction with what they want to do with the show. They don't want to go with the planet/alien of the week format so they try and make it one long storyline. The problem was the first 3 or 4 episodes focused on the tardigrad thing, then that was dropped without a real conclusion and they jumped onto something else. Then they were in the mirror universe and the story was going in one direction and then it just went off on anither tangent. It just seems like the whole season wondered aimlessly around but you never get a full conclusion to what they were working towards before they jumped to something else. I haven't seen the second season so I don't know if they omproved much, but due to how bad the first season was, I'm not in much of a hurry to go watch it. I'll likely catch up when I pay for All Acess to watch Picard, but I won't pay to watch it before that point.
Old 08-05-19, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
Really? I'd heard she was a total no-show except for the cast reunion for a DVD. She married rich (the CEO of LiveNation) so she doesn't care, obviously.

She was there with Linda Park.

Old 10-05-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

2nd trailer from NYCC

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FySrgrKJguE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some more familiar faces in the new one. Looks amazing.

Premieres January 23rd.
Old 10-05-19, 01:56 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

looks interesting. Data's hairline looked weird tho. I hope Data's involvement is not just dream sequences tho.
Old 10-05-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Old 10-05-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Teared up a bit. This was my Star Trek. The feeling I got watching that trailer has to be how fans of the Original series felt watching the original crew back together in their movies. Your old friends are back in town.
Old 10-05-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is looking great. So ready for it. Data does look off though. It’s easier to accept that the rest of them have aged and I know Data needs to somewhat resemble how he looked but you can tell by the hairline and face that he’s older.
Old 10-05-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I realize they have to cover for Spiner ageing but damn that looks downright amateur.
Old 10-05-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

This is looking great. So ready for it. Data does look off though. It’s easier to accept that the rest of them have aged and I know Data needs to somewhat resemble how he looked but you can tell by the hairline and face that he’s older.
Since this appears to be happening while Picard is dreaming, Data looking slightly different or older could easily be explained off as since it is not reality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.