Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Superman07
I had no idea who this Hugh character was/is. They even described it and I had a faint memory of the scene. I’m guessing it was a season 6 or 7 episode?
It was 3 episodes Hugh was in actually. Seasons 5 , 6 and 7.
Old 07-22-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Honestly of all the old cast members I thought Beverly was the only one who needed have some sort of role in this.
Old 07-22-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Like everyone else, I had zero clue that Jeri Ryan was reprising Seven of Nine
When she showed up in the trailer, I think I peed my pants a little.

Add to that "Data", Riker, Troi, Hugh, the Borg and the Romulans and it's like a love letter to my childhood. Bring it on!
Yes! I can't wait!
Old 07-22-19, 11:36 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I think it's pretty clear the cast of TOS had an Us vs. Shatner challenge to how Star Trek worked, and I've always wondered that about TNG. Have they always seen themselves much more as an ensemble? Do people feel shut out by this "Picard" show?
Old 07-22-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I think it's pretty clear the cast of TOS had an Us vs. Shatner challenge to how Star Trek worked, and I've always wondered that about TNG. Have they always seen themselves much more as an ensemble? Do people feel shut out by this "Picard" show?
I don't think that's the case at all with the TNG cast. They all seem to get along pretty well and I've never heard any behind the scenes bad blood like there was with Shatner/Nimoy or Shatner/Takei (those seemingly were the main ones with beefs from TOS). Patrick Stewart is obviously the biggest name out of TNG and Picard is a popular character so giving him a revival show makes sense. Maybe this could lead to other shows like a Titan show with Riker and Troi or a Worf series.
Old 07-22-19, 12:34 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

That's good to know.

Troi or Worf? How about Troi and Worf? That mismatched pair of galaxy-saving do-gooders are at at, again!
Old 07-22-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's good to know.

Troi or Worf? How about Troi and Worf? That mismatched pair of galaxy-saving do-gooders are at at, again!
Well Riker and Troi are married so a series with them with Riker as Captain of the Titan would be something I could kind of see. I'm curious if Frakes will get in a bit better shape for Star Trek: Picard. Last I saw him he looked pretty old and pudgy. He's probably the one showing his age the most since the films ended. As far as Dorn, he talked about reprising Worf for a series at one point, but who knows if it'll happen. I'd be up for either and All Access would be a good platform for them to happen but it might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-12-20 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm on the fence about this one. If you take away Picard, Data, and Seven, how many of us would be enthusiastic to watch this? It seems like another action-filled, idea-free incarnation of Trek. I could be wrong and hope I am. I've been hoping Kurtzman-Trek would outgrow nostalgia mining and cheap gimmicks for meaningful storytelling. I guess I'll keep hoping. I miss the exploration of the human condition, the morality plays, and metaphysical ideas that TNG explored with such aplomb. TNG proved you could it could be a successful and iconic SF series without being dark and gritty. In the age of Trump we need optimistic humanism now more than ever. (Don't get me wrong, I'm going to check this out. It's Picard after all!)

Last edited by PatD; 07-22-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Is the short haired blonde at 1:10 Clarke (Elizah Taylor) from The 100?
Old 07-22-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

this might be enough to get me to subscribe to CBS All Access..... aw who am I kidding.... I'm all in after that trailer!
Old 07-22-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I've always heard that the core TNG cast were all on good terms with each other, and were all, more or less, friends, which is unusual for an ensemble tv cast.
Old 07-22-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

PICARD is looking good! This plus DISCOVERY and the new animated show LOWER DECKS

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-23-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD
I'm on the fence about this one. If you take away Picard, Data, and Seven, how many of us would be enthusiastic to watch this? It seems like another action-filled, idea-free incarnation of Trek. I could be wrong and hope I am. I've been hoping Kurtzman-Trek would outgrow nostalgia mining and cheap gimmicks for meaningful storytelling. I guess I'll keep hoping. I miss the exploration of the human condition, the morality plays, and metaphysical ideas that TNG explored with such aplomb. TNG proved you could it could be a successful and iconic SF series without being dark and gritty. In the age of Trump we need optimistic humanism now more than ever. (Don't get me wrong, I'm going to check this out. It's Picard after all!)
I think it looks pretty good honestly. To me this doesn’t seem like Discovery where it seems like that show wants to sell itself on being action packed and gritty to get that non Trek audience to watch. It also doesn’t exactly feel like the Abrams films that are more flashy and have an attractive young cast with lots of action as well.

There’s only a short action sequence in the Picard trailer. It feels much more like a character driven show to me, which fits more with what I think of for Star Trek. I have a good feeling about it. Just really hope it actually is good.
Old 07-23-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

While "Picard" is utilizing characters from Trek's past, it is at least moving the timeline forward for the first time in 17 years. I see this more like the TOS movies where we catch up with the characters later in their careers. Trek has been stuck in the pre-TOS and TOS eras far too long and I'm glad we're no longer being held hostage by it.

That being said, "Discovery" is a mess and having many of the same creative people behind "Picard" is cause for concern.
Old 07-23-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My hope is that the idiot factor brought by Kurtzman and company is cancelled out by the presence of talented actors and actresses who are familiar with their characters being involved. I think this trailer looks far better than the initial one that was shown for Discovery so hopefully that’s a good sign.
Old 07-23-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Discovery
Old 07-23-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartload
While "Picard" is utilizing characters from Trek's past, it is at least moving the timeline forward for the first time in 17 years. I see this more like the TOS movies where we catch up with the characters later in their careers. Trek has been stuck in the pre-TOS and TOS eras far too long and I'm glad we're no longer being held hostage by it.

That being said, "Discovery" is a mess and having many of the same creative people behind "Picard" is cause for concern.
This is definitely an exciting aspect of it. The trailer looked awesome for the most part. Seven really felt out of place, especially with the corny dialogue and delivery. But the brief glimpse of the Borg cube looked ominous. Hopefully they use them sparingly but to good effect. Once they appeared in the film universe and later in Voyager they became so much less scary. Oh wait, that happened when they got punked by Lore and made his lackeys.

I'm looking forward to this. I liked the mention of Data and seeing him disassembled, and of course it's great to see Brent Spiner resume the role, but his make up to hide his age is really, really distracting.
Old 07-24-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Doesn't the new trailer give off a kind of Firefly-like vibe? The mystery woman with combat powers that the bad guys (who seem to be from some shadowy organization) are after sounds a lot like River Tam. The Borg are the Reavers. The Borg/Reavers are connected to the mystery girl. And finally, only a motley crew of badasses can stop this dangerous mystery situation.
Old 07-24-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Encouraging to see the marked difference in personality for Seven. Hopefully she shed her stupid name along with the Borg mannerisms and this will give a chance for Voyager closure since we never got it from the series.

But boy, hearing Patrick talk in SDCC press, he sounds weak. He always looked old but he had a very strong baritone. Now he sounds like a frail old man.
Old 07-24-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I read on a Star Trek site that supposedly the plan for this is 3 seasons and 10 episodes each.

Patrick Stewart turned 79 a few weeks ago, so he would only be committing to this until he's around 82.
Old 07-25-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Watching the trailer (finally getting around to it), I may have to find a way to watch this show.

I still don't give a rat's ass about Discovery, but this looks like something I'd want to watch.

Originally Posted by PatD
Doesn't the new trailer give off a kind of Firefly-like vibe? The mystery woman with combat powers that the bad guys (who seem to be from some shadowy organization) are after sounds a lot like River Tam. The Borg are the Reavers. The Borg/Reavers are connected to the mystery girl. And finally, only a motley crew of badasses can stop this dangerous mystery situation.
Yeah, I can see that. It's still Trek, but there is a post Firefly sensibility about it.

And since I LOVE Firefly...
Old 07-25-19, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
This is definitely an exciting aspect of it. The trailer looked awesome for the most part. Seven really felt out of place, especially with the corny dialogue and delivery. But the brief glimpse of the Borg cube looked ominous. Hopefully they use them sparingly but to good effect. Once they appeared in the film universe and later in Voyager they became so much less scary. Oh wait, that happened when they got punked by Lore and made his lackeys.

I'm looking forward to this. I liked the mention of Data and seeing him disassembled, and of course it's great to see Brent Spiner resume the role, but his make up to hide his age is really, really distracting.
I thought the same thing about Spiner. Now that they have the technology to readily de-age somebody, I’m surprised they didn’t go that route.
Old 07-25-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07

I thought the same thing about Spiner. Now that they have the technology to readily de-age somebody, I’m surprised they didn’t go that route.
I think that technology is pretty expensive and Disney films are the main ones I know of to use it.
Old 07-25-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm wondering if that is actually Data, or if it's a holodeck simulation.

The trailer references Data sacrificing himself, so he's probably still not around. And it was probably B-4 disassembled in the drawer. (Or, possibly Lore?)
Old 07-25-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love how the much hated here DISCOVERY has set up shop in so many heads. Can't even compliment PICARD without taking a shit on DISCOVERY. I'm so happy I'll have 2 new live action ST shows I'll love plus an new animated series I'm sure I'll dig as well.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-26-19 at 05:49 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.