Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galactica

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galactica

Old 02-29-24, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galacti

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Eh, I don't mind his return. I do welcome another season - I thought 4 was pretty good. Not quite on par with 1-2 but better than 3.
I don't mind it at all either. He was pretty much my favorite character, but I got weary of animosity between him and Dani. Definitely hoping for a S5.
Old 03-01-24, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galacti

I thought season 4 was absolutely dreadful and didn't even finish it. A lot of it because of Ed, so I'll skip season 5.
Old 03-01-24, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I really didn't chime in earlier, but I liked Season 4. I agree with the earlier poster that said it looked like perhaps they had their budget cut a bit this season.
Old 03-25-24, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Took a long while for us to finish this season. I agree it was the weakest of the bunch, but it did finish strong. I will say this show is still really good about not falling back on cliches and moving the plot along.

That said:
  • seemed to waste a lot of time on Margot in Russia just for her to get back to the US
  • Why spend all the time on Kelly to get to Mars and continue her experiment only to ignore it for the last ~2 hours of the season.
  • I did like how Margot learned to read the situation and wait to play her hand. Had she made a scene she’d have been yanked elsewhere.
  • I LOVED the call back Margot made to season 1 and her conversation with Von Braun. Since she “turned” I kept pointing out the irony/hypocrisy of her situation to my wife. I’m glad it was t lost on herself.

I agree Ed was a little too grumpy, but there were moments where he seemed to discover his old self. As far as for too much Ed, I don’t think you can have the series without him. It’s essentially his story. I’d seen a headline that I interpreted Daniel was no more, which I figured would be fitting. At that point Ed would be all that’s left of the original group.

Id really like a fifth or sixth season as long as they’re planned and the last. This show doesn’t need to be on forever, but given what it’s delivered I deserves proper closure.
The following 2 users liked this post by Superman07:
bluesix (04-17-24), uteotw (03-26-24)
Old 03-26-24, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

Id really like a fifth or sixth season as long as they’re planned and the last. This show doesn’t need to be on forever, but given what it’s delivered I deserves proper closure.
Kelly's experiments are to find proof of life on Mars, right? Once they do that, there's little else to be accomplished without getting into pure sci-fi speculation.

I would like to see the series end with a deep dive into the future, an extended sequence showing humanity a hundred, a thousand, maybe even ten thousand years into the future. Sure, it's, as I said above, pure sci-fi speculation, but I think watching someone carry around the head of Ed Baldwin in a glass jar as they walk on the rings of Saturn would be a nice way to end the series.
Old 04-17-24, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Renewed for Season 5 + Spin-off 'Star City' inbound: https://deadline.com/2024/04/for-all...ty-1235887717/
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (04-17-24)
Old 04-17-24, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow - spin off?! Was worried about a season 5 - didn’t expect a spin off!
Old 04-17-24, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Not only pleased it was renewed for a fifth season, but we're also getting a spin-off/prequel set in the Soviet Union telling their side of the story! I've always found the Russian "Star City" to be fascinating, so I'm very pleased to see this announced.

With the renewal of this and Monarch, it's nice to Apple sticking with their genre shows.
Old 04-18-24, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm curious how much the "American" cast will appear in the spin-off. Would love to see Gordo and Tacey as well as Molly Cobb again!
Old 04-20-24, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I'm curious how much the "American" cast will appear in the spin-off. Would love to see Gordo and Tacey as well as Molly Cobb again!
I was thinking the same. Not only could we see characters that are no longer on the show, we could see younger versions of Ed and Margo.
Old 04-21-24, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not only pleased it was renewed for a fifth season, but we're also getting a spin-off/prequel set in the Soviet Union telling their side of the story! I've always found the Russian "Star City" to be fascinating, so I'm very pleased to see this announced.

With the renewal of this and Monarch, it's nice to Apple sticking with their genre shows.
Now if the Foundation show runners could just stop they're hackneyed attempt to actually adapt Asimov's books and concentrate on Empire, Apple' s genre shows would be even better. That, and kill EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER in the alien invasion show who's name I can't even remember.