Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galactica

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galactica

Old 01-05-24, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galacti

Thanks. I don't even remember his defecting at all. I thought he was still in Russia when the bomb went off in Houston.
Old 01-05-24, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galacti

Originally Posted by Noonan
Did we know Sergei was in the US before this episode? I don't remember how his story left off last season.
I'm pretty sure that showed Sergei had defected was living in the US in the season three finale.

He was also in last week's episode, where we saw he was married and teaching.
Old 01-05-24, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry, I should have specified I meant last week's episode since this week's was technically out when I posted this morning. I haven't watched the new one yet.

I remember seeing that last shot of Margot in Moscow at the end of S3 but nothing about Sergei. Probably just my shit memory.
Old 01-05-24, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Brazil" was a pretty great episode.

Spoiler:

It was actually kind of cool to see Dev's whole scheme get (at least partially) uncovered.

They did a really good job of building up tension and dread as everything slowly unraveled until the Korean commander got killed(?) and the CIA and KGB moles beating the shit out of Miles. And they totally telegraphed Sergei's death in the motel room, but it was still shocking because you knew it was coming, just not when.

Only thing about Sergei is that I'd think he would be on constant vigil and probably should have had a gun on him at all times. If I was in his position, I'd thoroughly check and dark or seemingly empty room I entered. He seemed way too content.

Wonder if his KGB tail let Margo slip out, followed her to see where she went, then found Sergei and found out where he was staying.

SPOILERED to protect Noonan, who hasn't seen this ep yet...
Old 01-08-24, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts

weakest season so far, sad to see the show mired in tera firma and so little happening outside in space. Feels like a ton of talk about asteroids and we get to the point where Goldilocks is trussed and ready to move but we never saw a thing happen on the asteroid since the accident. Wonder if they had a big budget cut losing Ronald D Moore from active involvement.
Old 01-12-24, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

That was a pretty cool season finale.
Old 01-13-24, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, good finale. Surprisingly bloodless. I think it's the first one where no major character got killed. Good to see Dani's gunshot wound wasn't fatal, and I really thought Palmer would get disintegrated in the plasma stream, but it looks like he made it, too. They really telegraphed a dramatic death when the hatch burned up in the plasma stream.

Still left quite a bit up in the air, though. Margo's fate. What happens next at Happy Valley.

I also wonder what this universe's Elmo is up to. They already have electric cars, private space travel, and a Mars colony. Maybe he's digging tunnels?
Old 01-13-24, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, good finale. Surprisingly bloodless. I think it's the first one where no major character got killed. Good to see Dani's gunshot wound wasn't fatal, and I really thought Palmer would get disintegrated in the plasma stream, but it looks like he made it, too. They really telegraphed a dramatic death when the hatch burned up in the plasma stream.

Still left quite a bit up in the air, though. Margo's fate. What happens next at Happy Valley.

I also wonder what this universe's Elmo is up to. They already have electric cars, private space travel, and a Mars colony. Maybe he's digging tunnels?
It had the feel of a series finale. Given the conditions when they were producing it, they no doubt figured this may well be the end of the story. It also explains why we didn't get a teaser shot of the next season. The show worked best when they were in the past, but they've essentially caught up to the present, and their world is so vastly different than our own it's just another sci fi show. That doesn't mean I don't want it to continue, but I don't expect it to. An article I saw stated the earliest we could see another season would be late 2025. I suppose they could drag out Ed's story another season, but even if it picks up in 2012, based on the last shot, he would be in his early 80's.

As for Margo, I think her story is over. Her confession in changing the trajectory of Goldilocks along with her actions in the 90's will put her in prison for the rest of her life.
Old 01-13-24, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
It had the feel of a series finale. Given the conditions when they were producing it, they no doubt figured this may well be the end of the story. It also explains why we didn't get a teaser shot of the next season. The show worked best when they were in the past, but they've essentially caught up to the present, and their world is so vastly different than our own it's just another sci fi show. That doesn't mean I don't want it to continue, but I don't expect it to. An article I saw stated the earliest we could see another season would be late 2025. I suppose they could drag out Ed's story another season, but even if it picks up in 2012, based on the last shot, he would be in his early 80's.

As for Margo, I think her story is over. Her confession in changing the trajectory of Goldilocks along with her actions in the 90's will put her in prison for the rest of her life.
They did do a future teaser shot - something like 10 years-ish ahead (2012) with all of the infrastructure on the mining asteroid orbiting Mars.

I don't mind it moving forward but I'm kind of tired of these characters.

It was the weakest season so far.
Old 01-13-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, final scene was the shot of Dev that swung up to Goldilocks and showed the big mining colony on it in 2012.

The episode would work as a series finale if it had to, but it's obvious they're still building up to more stuff in the future. I'd reckon that in season four Kelly will find evidence of life on Mars and they'll start expanding out into the outer solar system.

Presumably, the Mars colony will be an independent nation run by either Dev or a wheelchair-bound Ed. Maybe Ed will even be in a Captain Pike-like contraption with one light for yes, two lights for no, and three lights for "fuck you."

Margo will be in prison and consult with scientists like a nerd girl Hannibal Lecter.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (01-15-24)
Old 01-14-24, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
They did do a future teaser shot - something like 10 years-ish ahead (2012) with all of the infrastructure on the mining asteroid orbiting Mars.

I don't mind it moving forward but I'm kind of tired of these characters.

It was the weakest season so far.
I guess I was expecting something a little more surprising, like the Sea Dragon or Margo living in Russia.

I would actually like to see it continue right where they left off. The fallout from everything would be interesting to watch play out.
Old 01-14-24, 10:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Really good finale, to a really weak season.
That last episode is a good setup for future seasons, interested where the show takes us given there's blueprint anymore. The biggest issue I have is it'll need to start developing new characters - was really hoping this season they would find replacements for Ed and Poole. Right now it's Dev, Aleida, and Kelly? And the smuggling guy.

In for another season though.
Old 01-26-24, 06:40 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Iím late to the game, but I binged season one this week at a friendís recommendation.

Wow, I was sucked in. Iím not gonna lie, the last episode had me choked up for Deke.

I watched the connecting season shorts up to 1982 and will start season two tomorrow.

Funny thing is I was surprised to see Joe Pickett in this. A very different role for him. But the ďHi, BobĒ ep had me laughing and crying.
sikegrad (01-26-24)
Old 01-26-24, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

A lot of people seem to be starting this lately, I have 3 friends that started it and binged all 4 seasons since New Years. They don't know each other, so I found that really random.
sikegrad (01-26-24)
Old 01-31-24, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first two seasons were gold. Then it started to slide in quality with 4 being worse than 3 by a wide margin. I was a total fanboy of the first few seasons but it all but fell of my radar by the finale of this season. I will watch a 5th season but I hope they get more solid with new casting and ending the legacy characters run as Ed and Danielle wore out their welcome and became caricatures of their original characters.
Old 01-31-24, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I finished it. While I still like it, the early seasons were definitely better. I am just going to consider this the prequel to The Expanse.

I understand why the plot was what it was, but I don't need to see another worker riot on the show.
Old 02-01-24, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
The first two seasons were gold. Then it started to slide in quality with 4 being worse than 3 by a wide margin. I was a total fanboy of the first few seasons but it all but fell of my radar by the finale of this season. I will watch a 5th season but I hope they get more solid with new casting and ending the legacy characters run as Ed and Danielle wore out their welcome and became caricatures of their original characters.
My biggest problem is by this point we really should have moved on from Ed Baldwin. Hopefully S5 opens with his memorial.
Old 02-02-24, 08:01 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

As others have said, seasons 1 and 2 were great. I recently finished season 3 and felt it was a material drop in quality. Just started season 4 so don't have an opinion yet.
Old 02-28-24, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Is Season 5 even happening? Honestly, Season 4 seems like a good place to end. I'm most invested in the Ed and Margo characters, and since the time jump to 2012 (which will make Ed around 81 and Margo around 71), I doubt those characters will even be around anymore, and if they are, it's hard to imagine they'd still be actively working. The only other characters I find remotely interesting are Aleida and Dev, and probably not enough to be interested in them being the "leads" of a season.
Old 02-28-24, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

At 81, Ed would be touring around giving speeches, maybe running for political office in our current climate.

But yeah it hasn't been renewed yet, but that's fairly standard for Apple TV shows (they wait a long time to announce new seasons)
Shannon Nutt (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt Ed would ever leave Mars. Maybe he's the mayor of Happy Valley by 2012. All indications were that he, his daughter, and grandson will be permanent residents of Mars.

Dunno about Margo. I suppose she could leverage her knowledge about the Soviet space program in exchange for a reduced sentence or a pardon from President Gore. She probably has a lot of valuable information about their inner workings. Which would then give the Soviets the incentive to put her down like they did Sergei.

Everyone from the early seasons is getting so old that they'll be focusing on characters like Dev, Aleida, Kelly, and probably Alex who will seventeen or eighteen by then. Note that they also never pulled the trigger on Kelly finding life of Mars plotline that was foreshadowed, so that will probably happen in the fifth season.
Shannon Nutt (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 08:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Next season: the native Martians rise up against the invading Terrans.
Old 02-29-24, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to see Ed be a background character who's basically the equivalent of old man yelling at clouds. He just appears every now and again to take digs at the young Martians and talk about how things were better in his day.
Old 02-29-24, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

still not officially renewed as far as I can find but a recent article seems to confirm Ed will be back.

https://screenrant.com/for-all-manki...ator-response/
Old 02-29-24, 09:53 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Eh, I don't mind his return. I do welcome another season - I thought 4 was pretty good. Not quite on par with 1-2 but better than 3.
Shannon Nutt (02-29-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.