Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galactica

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galactica

Old 11-15-23, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Re: For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galacti

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I can't decide whether to watch now or wait until the whole season is released so I can binge. I'm not good at delaying gratification.
I plan to crank out the rest of Foundation before the price increase kicks in for me early Dec. Then I will dump out of App+

I watched the first episode of this new season - it's fine. But not something I absolutely need. I will hold off renewing App+ until Silo and Severance come back and are fully completed seasons.
Old 11-16-23, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 361 Likes on 264 Posts
Re: For All Mankind (Apple TV+) -- S: Joel Kinnaman -- NASA series from the creator of Battlestar Galacti

First episode was good, Nice to see them adding more storylines and staying away from the two "orphan kids" LOL

I came across an article people may like, it seems they have a 7 season arc in mind. Would not mind seeing where they head after this season and moving into the future 10 years or so.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/for-all...GJJTSfgutunSBY
Old 11-18-23, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Thought the first episode back was pretty good. Some predictable bits, but some surprises.

I didnít get any sense of crazy drama, so thatís an improvement over S3.
Old 11-21-23, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,163 Likes on 894 Posts

E3 is live, as well.
Old 12-10-23, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts

Oh shit. Aleida going to Russia. She is going to see Margot is alive.

Nice to finally know what happened to Danny.

Kelly taking her kid to Mars. Wtf

Last edited by Deftones; 12-10-23 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-11-23, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 838 Likes on 618 Posts

was that the same actor for Danny? Looked very different to me.
Old 12-11-23, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
was that the same actor for Danny? Looked very different to me.
It was him.
Old 12-11-23, 07:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

meh... not really feeling this season. I guess it's because the characters I really liked are now either gone, or just shells of their former selves.

They really need to start introducing new/better characters now that the main storyline is Ed trying to come to grips with his old age. I mean they do have Aleida (engineer) and Kelly (scientist), but they're just not compelling characters vs. Ed, Molly Cobb, Ellen, etc... And I'm not sure where they're going with that new guy on the Mars station - they're spending so much of the season (so far) on an HVAC/oil rig driller turned smuggler?

I'll keep tuning in, but with Ed and Poole aging, and not being part of the 'future' of this series, I was really hoping they would introduce some new astronauts.
The following users liked this post:
sikegrad (12-14-23)
Old 12-12-23, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Initially I was expecting some kind of workers revolt or strike on the part on Mars, but now it seems like they're going in the direction of the smuggling ring. Not sure where that's leading, but it seems like trouble for the HVAC guy, either from his superiors or his Russian boss.

I think it's a given that Aleida is going to come face-to-face with Margo when she goes to the Soviet Union. That should be interesting...

Not sure what the North Korean guy is up to wanting his wife smuggled to Mars. Seems like a move that would land both him and his wife in some pretty serious hot water back home. Maybe they're planning on defecting.

One flaw I can see with this season and future seasons is that the further we go into the future, the further we get away from actual history, and it becomes less relatable.
Old 12-12-23, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm semi-looking forward to the stupidity of Aleida seeing Margo alive when she is in Russia, I hear rumblings that Dev may be starting a splinter colony after capturing the asteroid and Ed will be in on the 'revolution' but this is the weakest season by far and they really need some compelling characters if they want to go another season. Not a fan of the dofus smuggler and low-key had hoped his helmet cracked but there are no consequences for stupidity I guess. I also found it hard to believe someone can explore solo and there are no emergency transponders somewhere like Mars ffs

Last edited by jpcamb; 12-12-23 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-19-23, 07:01 PM

So.... we're past the mid-season point (I think?) and most of the season has been centered around the smuggling ring and unionization of workers in Happy Valley. Not what I would call compelling tv - especially compared to the first 3 seasons.

Just my thoughts, but with them now deciding to 'move' the asteroid to Earth (rather than Mars) I'm hoping this results in some doomsday type of scenario (think Armageddon or Deep Impact) that needs to be solved. And crossing my fingers they start to introduce some new likeable characters for the future of this show.
I dont mind the Aleida character, and Kelly possibly finding life on Mars is interesting... but a show about space exploration really needs astronauts.
Old 12-20-23, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyx
but a show about space exploration really needs astronauts.
I think the lack of astronauts is kind of the point of this season. I'm loving it.
Old 12-20-23, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, at this point in the series' history, "astronauts" are just glorified truckers and bus drivers. Space travel is common and routine.
Old 12-21-23, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My bet is they move the asteroid into orbit around the earth and run into a problem and Ed and the Russian cosmonat/ woman die saving the world. I miss Ronald D Morre this season.
Old 12-21-23, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That would be a decent end to the series and tie in with the name. Saving the earth from the asteroid...For All Mankind.
Old 12-21-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they're sending an asteroid directly to Earth using technology that we saw has some serious issues in the first episode of the season.

What could go wrong?

Either way, I'm pretty sure that Ed isn't going to live past this season. Every season ends with a big astronaut death... season one was Deke, season two was Tracy and Gordo, season three was Molly.

But instead of the Russian woman, I wonder if it might end up being Ed and Dani who make the big sacrifice.
Old 12-21-23, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,206 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One flaw I can see with this season and future seasons is that the further we go into the future, the further we get away from actual history, and it becomes less relatable.
I was already feeling that in Season 3. Can't say I have a huge interest in S4, so I've been reading long here to see if I should jump back in.
Old 12-22-23, 11:16 PM

well... didnt see that coming.
Just when I thought this was going to be a boring season, it just got interesting.
Old 12-25-23, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Well that was a kickass twist!
Old 12-29-23, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,163 Likes on 894 Posts

Watched the new episode last night and it was awesome. The only thing is I hope Toby Kebbel hasn't been reduced to another side character. I was expecting him to be the new Mars "Rock 'n Rolla," but they've focused on other things again.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-29-23 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-29-23, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Sergei!

So does Margo defect back to the U.S. and get imprisoned form the rest of her life?
Old 12-30-23, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 212 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Sergei!

So does Margo defect back to the U.S. and get imprisoned form the rest of her life?
Once all the details come out, who knows? At least Aleida will be somewhat sympathetic to her now that she knows the whole story. I can't see Margo's life ending well in any plausible scenario though.

And speaking of Sergei, did he let anyone in Iowa know he was going off the grid like this? Given his defector status I assume the State Department keeps an eye on him. It looks like his wife has no idea about his past. I imagine at least a few people are wondering where he went.

Last edited by Jason; 12-31-23 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-30-23, 11:10 AM

Felt like a filler episode to setup the main plot of 'stealing' an asteroid. I'm really hoping to move away from the smuggling ring storyline - a show about setting up blackmarkets and unions on Mars isnt something I'd want to watch. After the asteroid storyline, I'm hoping future seasons continues with additional technological advances and more space exploration. Somewhat interested to see where Kelly's storyline lands with the discovery of alien life.

As for this specific episode, I get that they needed to explain how to set the 'plan' in place. As for the other storyline, I didnt care too much about the Sergei/Margo thing - though I was surprised that the Russians or the US folks didnt have a constant tail on Margo.
Old 01-05-24, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did we know Sergei was in the US before this episode? I don't remember how his story left off last season.
Old 01-05-24, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
Did we know Sergei was in the US before this episode? I don't remember how his story left off last season.
No. We knew Margo helped him defect but that was about all we knew.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.