DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Another Life (Netflix) -- S: Katee Sackhoff -- Sci-Fi Thriller series -- Premieres 7/25/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/648173-another-life-netflix-s-katee-sackhoff-sci-fi-thriller-series-premieres-7-25-19-a.html)

DJariya 07-19-19 01:27 PM

Another Life (Netflix) -- S: Katee Sackhoff -- Sci-Fi Thriller series -- Premieres 7/25/19

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...7568aa8db7.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qAtBbgtMnZ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Choose Humanity. Another Life premieres July 25. Only on Netflix. When a mysterious alien Artifact lands on Earth, Commander Niko Breckinridge (Katee Sackhoff) has to lead humanity’s first interstellar mission to its planet of origin, while her husband (Justin Chatwin) tries to make first contact with the artifact back on earth. Another Life explores the miracle of life, how precious life is in a universe mostly empty of it, and the lengths we will go to protect the ones we love.

10 episode 1st season

This premieres on Netflix next Thursday.

Sackhoff and the cast have been promoting it in recent weeks.

jpcamb 07-19-19 01:34 PM

Re: Another Life (Netflix) -- S: Katee Sackhoff -- Sci-Fi Thriller series -- Premieres 7/25/19

Ive been following Katie on Instagram for a while and this looks interesting. I didnt realize this was not another movie for netflix and is actually a series! Will be watching for sure either way! :)

DJariya 07-25-19 02:06 AM

Re: Another Life (Netflix) -- S: Katee Sackhoff -- Sci-Fi Thriller series -- Premieres 7/25/19

All 10 episodes are now up on Netflix

csant 07-25-19 07:21 AM

Fuck... so many shows not enough time.

Rob V 07-25-19 09:13 AM

Dammit, this looks really good and I still need to get thru ST3 and The Punisher S2.

Deftones 07-25-19 11:24 AM

I was going to watch The Boys today, but I guess it doesn't start until tomorrow, so this is on deck!

So far 3 in. This is not at all what I was expecting but it is not bad. Some of the acting is terrible (husband), some is quite good (AI hologram). Special effects are fairly well done.

Spoiler:
Tyler Hochelin can't seem to find a stable job :lol:

eXcentris 07-25-19 01:49 PM

I like Katee Sackhoff but that looks like B series sci-fi mixed with an afternoon soap. Pass. Too much stuff to watch.

Deftones 07-25-19 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris (Post 13583885)
I like Katee Sackhoff but that looks like B series sci-fi mixed with an afternoon soap. Pass. Too much stuff to watch.

It is anything but. Some horror, suspense and drama based around a sci fi premise. :shrug:

Koby 07-25-19 03:04 PM

Acting doesn't look that great at times in the trailer and the CG effects look pretty bad, but I'm a sucker for these types of shows and I like some of the actors shown so I suppose I'll give this a shot.

Why So Blu? 07-25-19 03:08 PM

Love Sackhoff!

eXcentris 07-25-19 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13583894)
It is anything but. Some horror, suspense and drama based around a sci fi premise. :shrug:

I don't care what genres the plot falls in, it still looks like B movie sci-fi with afternoon soap level of acting, hey! :)

Deftones 07-25-19 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris (Post 13584012)
I don't care what genres the plot falls in, it still looks like B movie sci-fi with afternoon soap level of acting, hey! :)

but you haven't watched it, so you wouldn't know.

Deftones 07-26-19 01:50 PM

Just finished this. It is basically a mix of Arrival and Falling Skies. They definitely left it wide open for a future season. I was entertained by it. Despite what you read, the special effects are pretty good. Not near Lost in Space quality, but the CGI was well done. The acting was average in some places, good in others. Some of the romantic stuff was stupid and unnecessary, IMHO. It's definitely set up for future seasons should Netflix keep it going.

Spoiler for entire season. I will say they did one of the things that piss me off, though in that
Spoiler:
We don't get to see the aliens behind the attack. I hate that. I get that they want them to be mysterious and a threat, but The Colony fucked that whole thing up by never showing the alien race behind it. Hopefully they don't keep us in the dark about them.

Cellar Door 07-27-19 01:10 AM

I've only watched the first episode so far. A lot of the writing is really awful. Really awful. I like Sackhoff, though, so I'll watch at least another episode or two to see if it gets good enough to keep going.

hdtv00 07-27-19 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 13584796)
I've only watched the first episode so far. A lot of the writing is really awful. Really awful. I like Sackhoff, though, so I'll watch at least another episode or two to see if it gets good enough to keep going.

Yea I know quoting the post right above you is internet noob 101 BUT , I had to because he's dead on. Jesus the writing in this is dreadful. Like worse than Walking Dumb even. I am probably very very near end first episode but I will also give it few more episodes, but yea....Oh and no the effects aren't good or even decent. I don't know where dude comes up with that horse shit from lol. What sucks the most is awful writing, it is just beyond awful at this early point.

One GREAT thing the Atmos audio, sure it's Atmos light but damn I assure you my neighbors are not enjoying the audio but I sure am.

...So end of e1 ..interesting...not even 10 min in e2 right back to stupid...lol. This(wasting time watching this crap)isn't gonna be worth it, there is no way....

melasnus 07-28-19 04:31 PM

This is a god awful attempt at a series.
It's a true stinker.

Sackhoff is becoming the sci-fi equivalent of Jamie Lee Curtis's Scream Queen.
For some reason, ever since BSG she has become the Fantasy Girl of the 400 Pounders Living in Their Momma's Basement Club.
I have never understood exactly why...
Her acting skills are limited and she isn't all that good looking either.

Cellar Door 07-28-19 05:29 PM

Sackhoff is a scenery-chewer for sure. But she has charisma on-screen, and that can go a long way. In the right role, I like her a lot. Besides BSG, I thought she was very good as Vic on Longmire. On the other hand, she was on a couple of episodes of The Flash playing a villain and she was just terrible. And she's also in a sci-fi movie available on Netflix called 2036 Orgin Unknown and that was even worse than this series.

I've watched a couple more episodes. It is still very bad, but I do kind of like the schlocky horror B-movie aspects of it, so I'll probably go ahead and finish. It's also kind of fun that they seem to have plenty of 'redshirts' in hibernation that they can wake up and kill off as needed.

hdtv00 07-28-19 09:57 PM

Oh yea I'm hmm like 7 episodes in now or more. Yep it's awful. Bad logic/science, it's like a real bad space soap opera at this point. All the characters suck really. The flow of the show is dreadful. It's one stupid made up issue after another. I hate myself for still watching it.

melasnus 07-29-19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door (Post 13585372)
And she's also in a sci-fi movie available on Netflix called 2036 Orgin Unknown and that was even worse than this series.

Sadly, I can recall that travesty...and you're right, it's even worse. -eek-

mphtrilogy 07-29-19 07:21 AM

I like Katee a lot, but man this is not good, I don't know if I can continue, so they are in space, one of the "astronauts" is on the couch on her ipad messaging her dad, they are all under 30 whining, wtf... I mean give me some 35-50 year folks for cryin out loud,,,

Dscarpad 07-29-19 07:45 PM

This was the biggest piece of crap I think I’ve seen yet on Netflix how does this get green lit and Santa Clarita diet cancelled

melasnus 07-30-19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy (Post 13585598)
I like Katee a lot, but man this is not good, I don't know if I can continue, so they are in space, one of the "astronauts" is on the couch on her ipad messaging her dad, they are all under 30 whining, wtf... I mean give me some 35-50 year folks for cryin out loud,,,

The astronauts, the mutiny, the commander herself...all of it is unintentionally funny.

I can't believe NF bought this...hope they didn't spend more than 2 cents.
Guess one of the Execs must be a BSG geek...:lol:

dom56 07-30-19 08:35 AM

Only good thing on this stinker is the girl playing August is pretty hot. Too bad we won't see her doing a threesome with those two dudes.

hdtv00 07-30-19 01:58 PM

It would've helped some had they trimmed some of that stupid shit and reduced it to 8 episode season. The ending should've happened sooner things would've been a little better but man. I admit I'd had it I skipped through last few episodes to just get idea where it went , and held fast when it got interesting at the end.

greydttwo 08-04-19 07:37 PM

Gave the show a try, but had to tap out by mid-3rd episode. The trivia night bet made me say “Come on!” out loud and that’s when I realized I didn’t want to waste another 6-1/2 hours on this. The show is literally people yelling at each other constantly disguised as “drama”.

For those who finished it, is there a turning point that makes this show worth finishing?