Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Horror Story: 1984 (FX) -- Season 9 Thread -- premieres 9/18/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-06-19, 12:44 PM

Gus Kenworthy has survived multiple trips to the Olympics, but can he survive a season of American Horror Story? The pro skier will appear in the FX drama’s upcoming ninth installment as the love interest of someone very familiar with the franchise.

Series creator Ryan Murphy broke this casting news himself on Wednesday, posting a photo of Kenworthy to Instagram with the following caption: “That special moment when you realize you have an Olympic medal AND will be playing Emma Roberts’ boyfriend on American Horror Story Season 9.”

Roberts entered the Horror Story universe via Coven (Season 3), then returned for Freak Show (Season 4), Cult (Season 7) and Apocalypse (Season 8). She also starred in Murphy’s short-lived Fox comedy Scream Queens, which he recently expressed interest in reviving. Kenworthy, meanwhile, made his TV acting debut in a 2016 episode of ABC’s The Real O’Neals, which he followed up with a cameo in 2017’s Sharknado 5: Global Swarming.

Save for Roberts and Kenworthy’s involvement, nothing is known about American Horror Story‘s ninth season. Murphy has previously stated that he has plans to bring back the Coven witches for a third time, but since the show has been renewed through Season 10, he could be giving the characters a rest for now. (They were, after all, the focus of Apocalypse last year.)
https://tvline.com/2019/02/06/americ...TBnicHKWXOyeFY
Old 04-10-19, 09:20 AM

re: American Horror Story: Apocalypse (FX) -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres 9/12/18

AHS: 1984. Looks like a slasher!

View this post on Instagram

AHS SEASON 9 is called...

A post shared by Ryan Murphy (@mrrpmurphy) on

Old 07-19-19, 01:56 AM

re: American Horror Story: 1984 (FX) -- Season 9 Thread -- premieres 9/18/19

American Horror Story: 1984, which will harken back to slasher flicks of the ’80s — bring on the Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, and Michael Myers homages!

Confirmed to return to the show are :
Emma Roberts, Billie Lourd, Cody Fern, and Leslie Grossman, who all played key roles in last season’s Apocalypse.
John Carroll Lynch, who appeared in season four as Twisty the Clown also returns.

Joining the cast this season are Glee’s Matthew Morrison, Pose’s Angelica Ross, skier Gus Kenworthy, Dear White People’s DeRon Horton, and Shameless’ Zach Villa.

This will be the first season where series regulars Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson — the only two actors to appear in all eight previous seasons of the show in some capacity — will not appear.

Last edited by dex14; 07-19-19 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: American Horror Story: 1984 (FX) -- Season 9 Thread -- premieres 9/18/19

Looks awesome. Can't wait!
Old 07-29-19, 12:47 PM

Old 07-29-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some unknown reason I stopped watching this show when they had the season with the carnival. i do remember enjoying the previous seasons so I'm not sure why I stopped. This one I will definitely watch, but should i go back and watch the others? Any season worth skipping?
Old 07-29-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hippie68 View Post
For some unknown reason I stopped watching this show when they had the season with the carnival. i do remember enjoying the previous seasons so I'm not sure why I stopped. This one I will definitely watch, but should i go back and watch the others? Any season worth skipping?

I'd say just watch AHS 1984 and hope for the best. You'll probably hate the rest.
Old 07-29-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seasons 1 and 2 were great, most of the others have been watchable but average. The only season I’d skip outright is Roanoke.
Old 07-30-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hippie68 View Post
Are they all great season? No... but they are meant to be tied together as I believe they're meant to represent the 9 circles of hell? If you have the time, I suggest you watch them and catch some of the tie-ins and decide for yourself. I loved Hotel season and my daughter hated it. So different strokes...
Old 07-30-19, 07:36 AM

Freakshow was the only season I didn't finish as well.

The show is just hit or miss. Sometimes it starts off really strong and then gets too over the top and shits the bed.

Hotel is worth checking out. A lot of people seemed to hate Roanoke, but I kind of liked it for being different. I don't think I liked Cult. Apocalypse started off really strong and is worth seeing for the crossover elements of previous seasons.
Old 07-30-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The "show within a show" aspect of Roanoake didn't work for me at all. I found it really tonally inconsistent with the rest of the series.

Cult, was, I think, the tightest season of the series in that it didn't spread off in a bunch of different directions and maintained a strong focus on its theme and characters, though the story itself was somewhat forgettable.

Seasons one through five were almost like themed anthologies that told five or six different stories set around a central theme with shared locations and characters. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Roanoake and Cult broke this formula and told mostly straightforward stories; Apocalypse sort of combined the two, though it was more a sequel to previous seasons.
Old 07-30-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do have to say, of all the seasons, the maid from S1 stands out the most to me
Old 08-12-19, 12:18 PM

Old 08-12-19, 12:39 PM

I enjoyed Season One and Two but Three got a little to "Ryan Murphy" for me, and I lost my taste for the series. I got the impression it was filmed surprisingly close to the "air" date and when they'd come back from their hiatus it seemed like they would be scrambling for an ending they hadn't quite figured out yet.
Old 08-12-19, 03:21 PM

The last 2 or 3 seasons have ended before Christmas, rather than having a hiatus. I wish I could say it has helped, but the seasons still limp to the end.
Old 08-12-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iíve always meant to watch this show, but itís been one that Iíve continued to pushed off. Mainly because I hear itís pretty hit or miss. However I might jump into this new season. Simply for the fact that itís a period slasher series. Seems like the potential is there for a good time.
Old 08-18-19, 09:16 AM

I've started watching this from the beginning and I've managed to get through season 1-3. I honestly don't much care for the show or what they deem qualifies as "horror". It just seems like they believe "weirdness" to be horror, which is not the stuff I'm into... but I'm sticking with it. Nice to see they'll be doing a slasher season since that's more up my alley, but based on what I've watched so far, I don't expect to fully enjoy it.