Nash Bridges returning to TV on USA starring Don Johnson

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-18-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 680 Posts

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...h2fx6nF_o-lR0c

Don Johnson is heading back to San Francisco.

Eighteen years after CBS' Nash Bridges signed off following a six-season run on CBS, NBCUniversal-owned cabler USA Network and IP owner Village Roadshow are teaming with the actor for a revival.

Johnson is set to reprise his role running San Francisco's Special Investigation Unit in what sources say is a two-hour TV special. Sources note that while the project is in its early development stages, Village Roadshow hopes that the special serves as a back-door pilot of sorts for a broader drama series.

Representatives for USA Network declined comment.

The revival will pick up with Nash Bridges, circa 2020, still running San Francisco's SIU and confronting a changing city, a new boss and a world in which police work focuses on modern data-crunching and predictive policing. Although the world around him has changed, Nash hasn't.

Bill Chais (The Practice, Shark, Franklin & Bash, Bull) and Johnson will co-create the special. Johnson, Chais and Marc Rosen (Sense8) will exec produce.

Johnson is currently the only castmember attached. It's unclear if any other former stars from the CBS take — including Cheech Marin, Jodi Lyn O'Keefe and Jeff Perry — will return for the revival. Village Roadshow-based Rysher Entertainment owns the rights to the show with the former company controlling the library.

News of the revival arrives a year after creator Carlton Cuse and his former all-star team of writers/exec producers — Glen Mazzara, Shawn Ryan, John Wirth and Pam Veasey — reunited last year at the ATX Television Festival to share the origins of the series. Cuse noted that former CBS boss Les Moonves had signed Johnson to a talent deal and approached Cuse to create a series for the former Miami Vice star. The result was cop drama Nash Bridges. (Listen to that panel discussion here.) Cuse is not attached to the revival, as he has an overall deal with Disney-owned ABC Studios.

As for Village Roadshow, Nash Bridges is part of the company's larger plan to mine its content library and reimagine those titles. That strategy is employed across the TV and film landscape as media companies of all sizes look to revitalize library titles and cut through the clutter with revivals/reboots/spinoffs. This also helps increase the value of original catalogs at a time when library content like Friends and The Office are fetching top dollar as legacy media companies prepare to launch streaming services to rival Netflix and boost their bottom lines.

Village Roadshow, overseen by former Sony chief Steve Mosko, recently acquired the film and TV rights based on the popular video game Myst. The company also has Joaquin Phoenix-starrer Joker due in October from Warners.

Meanwhile, USA Network will say farewell to a pair of hit shows this year: Suits and Mr. Robot. The cabler's scripted roster includes Suits spinoff Pearson, Queen of the South, Bourne spinoff Treadstone,anthology The Sinner, Briarpatch, Dare Me, Brave New World and Bravo import Dirty John.

Chais is repped by the Shuman Company. Johnson, who next stars in HBO's Watchmen,is repped by CAA.
Old 07-18-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: Nash Bridges returning to TV on USA starring Don Johnson

I will watch!
Old 07-18-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

I wish it had been Miami Vice.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-09-21)
Old 07-18-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts

Agree Miami Vice was the better show but if it did come back it would suck without the music of the 80's.
Old 07-18-19, 08:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 260 Likes on 227 Posts

I mean he still looks good and has been good in his bit parts lately. Brawl in Cell Block 99, Django Unchained, etc. But, címon. It was good for the day and I did enjoy it, but now? Not so sure...
Old 07-18-19, 09:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 323 Likes on 259 Posts

Yeah, I’m totally up for this - but please bring back Cheech.
Old 04-08-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 680 Posts

https://deadline.com/2021/04/don-joh...0277/#comments

Johnson confirms the 2 hour movie is getting close to filming. Cheech will return as well.
Old 04-08-21, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I hope they also bring back folks like Yasmine Bleeth who was not just eye candy and actually was good on the show. IMDB says she starred in 41 episodes so hopefully her, and some others get a cameo in the film and if the show is actually revived as a one hour drama others like her get recurring spots.
Old 04-08-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

A show no one has asked to come back. So weird. This is like NBC with Coach or Spectrum with Mad About You.

it must be some weird way to retain rights for an expiring license or something.
Old 04-08-21, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts

I assume Jodi Lyn O'Keefe will be back.

Too bad James Gammon passed since he was a big part of that show.
Old 04-08-21, 08:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I want Stone Cold Steve Austin to come back, too!
Boondock Saint (04-09-21)
Old 04-09-21, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
A show no one has asked to come back. So weird. This is like NBC with Coach or Spectrum with Mad About You.

it must be some weird way to retain rights for an expiring license or something.
Now that the networks all have their own streaming services they're desperate for content. I have Paramount+ for 18mos for $10 and other than 60Mins and Star Trek there's nothing on there for me to watch.
Old 04-09-21, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I wish it had been Miami Vice.

Spoiler:
Fan edit.
Old 04-09-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 405 Likes on 267 Posts

Never watched NB but I'm loving Don Johnson's career resurgence. I wish him well in this
mikehunt (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post

agreed
I liked the show originally but is there really any demand it to come back? And Don Johnson is getting a tad old to be a realistic cop unless they make him the captain sitting behind the desk all day
meanwhile stuff like Firefly that had an active and vocal fan base wanting it to come back never got a shot

that said, if it's just a 2 hour movie reunion thing they might as well do it