TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Netflix posted on Facebook that 40.7 million have watched the show since it dropped July 4th and 18.2 million have finished the season.
Which is unusual for them... they are notoriously secretive about audience numbers.
Old 07-10-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
That's a bit presumptuous.You think everyone will ditch Netflix for Disney to watch catalog shows/movies and two dozen Star Wars/super hero shows?
As we just heard, Netflix will slowly lose all of its hit shows. Friends, The Office, and all the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars stuff. Netflix will eventually shed everything it doesn't own... so yeah, that could put a dent in Netflix subscriptions.
Old 07-10-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I imagine a lot of people watch The Office and Friends so much because they happen to be on Netflix. I not sure how many will follow them to other services. And of these new services will make any money for over a decade.
Old 07-11-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm a little surprised that some of you are disappointed by this season...after the somewhat clunky (but still solid, IMO) Season 2, Season 3 is a real return to form. I thought it was a blast. I don't know if the mall set, convenience store set, and carnival set contained a lot of background CGI or if they actually BUILT them, but they're loaded with spot-on references to the 80s. I still find it hard to believe the Duffer Brothers weren't even born until the mid-80s, because they get everything right about the period (although exec. producer Shawn Levy is my age, so that may explain a lot of it).

And yes guys, you nailed it:

Spoiler:
That's Hopper in the Russian prison, although they don't show his face just in case David Harbour doesn't want to come back and/or he wants to take a season off.
Old 07-11-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Most of the Starcourt scenes were filmed in a closed wing of the Gwinnett Place Mall (Duluth, GA). I believe this was the same wing where a dead woman's body was discovered in the food court Subway a year or two ago.

The set designers transformed the storefronts (and some interiors) to fit the period. I heard the mall has since been bought out, but apparently the areas used for filming remain closed off and are being guarded. A few vloggers still managed to get inside for video tours:

Last edited by joe_b; 07-11-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-11-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm somewhat surprised that all the battle damage, props and even the car are still there.
Old 07-11-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Most of the Starcourt scenes were filmed in a closed wing of the Gwinnett Place Mall (Duluth, GA). I believe this was the same wing where a dead woman's body was discovered in the food court Subway a year or two ago.

I had to look for more info on that:

From the Wikipedia entry on the mall:
In December 2017 the body of a 19-year-old woman was found in the back room of the food court, where it went unnoticed for weeks.

The Subway was apparently vacant and police estimate the body was there for at least two weeks before being discovered. Her boyfriend was eventually charged with her murder.
Old 07-11-19, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I'm somewhat surprised that all the battle damage, props and even the car are still there.
The guy posted an update where he clarified that his mall video was shot a while back. He just waited until the season premiered before uploading it. I'd guess the debris has been cleaned up by now.

He mentioned a crew member told him it was going to be opened as an exhibit. Apparently that idea got nixed by the powers that be. The wing still has a barricade in front of it to keep people out.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-11-19 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-12-19, 12:22 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I couldn't watch the video with the sound on. The 'vlogger' reminded me too much of this guy:

Old 07-12-19, 08:49 PM

Maybe Herbert was guarding the set that day.

Old 07-13-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Just finished the season and really enjoyed it. I think the 8 episodes fly by as it was perfectly paced and not a wasted episode. What I liked about the season is they were able to pair up everyone that had great chemistry together as one story didn't feel inferior to someone else's story. I know this wont happen because there is too much money to make in Hollywood, but that was the PERFECT ending and the show not have a 4th/5th season. Many of us can relate to that time in your life when you are going to HighSchool and things always change with friends. One of my best friends moved after 9th grade, so that last scene really resonated with me as they sort of rode off in the sunset to a different path. I worry the show will get too repetitive in a Season 4 as you can only goto the well so many times with the big bad monster. Season 3 worked because the arc was all about taking out Millie Bobby Brown's character so it made sense in that respect for revenge.
Old 07-14-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

We finished a few days ago. Easily better than season 2, and possibly better than season 1. Even with the missteps in season 2 (I’m still convinced El’s trip was t narratively bad. It just needed to be spread out over more episodes instead of having its own episode.),this series does such a great job of running multiple story threads and then bringing them together so the plot can get tied up.

I loved the addition of Robin. Pretty much an established character with her own personality from the start. It’s like she should have been there since season 1. Talk about great for Steve too!

I didn’t care much for the inclusion of Lucas’ sister. I think they could have used her up front, but dropped her before going into the base. Her constant attitude was too much for me. I would be curious to know her character she relative to the boys in season 1.

A lot of people seemed to dislike Hopper this season, saying he was acting out of character. Not sure I see that or agree. I think much like the characters were growing and chanting, so was he. He had a young adolescent daughter out of nowhere, and had to figure out how to deal. He didn’t have the luxury of 10+ years of raising El.

Anyway, great finale. I loved they gave the last 20 minutes to wrap up and show where all the characters were at. It was needed after such a climatic (happy screams?!) ending. It was great to see a cameo by the Dr from season 2 too!

As for the very end
Spoiler:
I'm not surprised Hopper is meant to be alive. Rather, I was surprised he was apparently in Russia instead of getting sucked into the Upside Down!

Old 07-14-19, 03:49 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno

We've decided to cancel Netflix in favor of Disney+, and only reactivate it a month at a time for event series like Stranger Things.
Disney + lineup holds almost no appeal. I think Netflix will just go more genre focused and just skip the superhero thing entirely which I find boring anyway.

Season 3 was a slight let down from the last 2 seasons but mostly because it's more of a formula now than the emergent appeal of Season1
Old 07-14-19, 03:53 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I imagine a lot of people watch The Office and Friends so much because they happen to be on Netflix. I not sure how many will follow them to other services. And of these new services will make any money for over a decade.
Completely agree. Very are going to PAY to keep seeing them, but they are good to revisit as an option. Some will leave for Marvel but I just dont see that being the majority of Netflix appeal either. I think Netflix will be fine.
Old 07-15-19, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched the 1st 2 episodes.
Yikes, it gets right into it right off the bat!
Old 07-15-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I agree that the product placement, while it did help elicit some feelings of nostalgia, was pretty obnoxious in parts.
Yes, but this is yet another homage to 80s movies, which were loaded with "blatant" product placement.
Old 07-15-19, 08:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed Season 3 a lot, still rank them 1,2,3 in that order...
Liked Steve and Dustin a lot this season and the new adds of the kid sister and Robin made for a good fun core. Thought Mike and Will didn't have much to do, and I liked Eleven again this season. I actually could have used more 80's to be honest. Felt like an 8hour Movie....
Old 07-15-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
. I actually could have used more 80's to be honest.
Frankly, I think the use of 80s music gets a little out of control (in the first 2 episodes, anyway).
Old 07-15-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I loved Fat Rambo Vs. The Fauxminator.
Old 07-16-19, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched the 3rd episode tonight and am amazed how much stronger this series has become since S1.
It really is "must-watch-TV" for me and the missus...
Old 07-18-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Back in 2016 when I still lived in Atlanta, I went to visit the Gwinnett Place Mall for the first time in more than a decade. I was shocked by how dead the mall was because it used to be one of the most popular malls in the region. The vast majority of the stores were closed and the mall itself was poorly lit throughout. The only store I saw that was open and apparently doing well was an Asian supermarket that took up one of the spots that one of the big-box stores used to be in. That a dead body was once found in the Gwinnett Place Mall is not a surprise to me after having been there.

That "South Park" episode where they visit the mall pretty much captured what visiting Gwinnett Place Mall felt like: https://southpark.cc.com/clips/zfwi7...y-and-yet-none
Old 07-18-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

This was just an okay season, punctuated by some very cool moments. They got a little too carried away pandering to people's nostalgia for the 80s. It was heavy handed and tiresome half way through the season.

My hope for season 4 is that they ditch this current crop of actors, and move on to the characters as adults, similar to what they're doing with the 'IT' sequel. With a couple of the kids becoming pretty big stars now, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the way it ends up going anyway considering scheduling, salaries, etc, but I'm sure they'll get at least one more out of them.

I've seen it mentioned earlier in this thread, but the Steve/Robin interrogation scene was easily the highlight of the season for me. I thought that was very funny.

And I hope everyone who's dead stays dead. Let those losses actually carry some weight and have meaning.
Old 07-19-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Dumb question, was this pixelated for anyone else? For some reason this show (and this show only on netflix) looked like shit the entire time I watched it. Like, giant pixels to the point where it almost looked like they were trying to replicate the look of an old vhs upscaled to high def or something? Everything else on netflix looks great to me, so this was really annoying.
Old 07-19-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Nope; crystal clear in HDR 4k.
Old 07-19-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The show looked perfect to me. Could be you are trying to watch it in the wrong format that your tv or device doesn't support.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.