TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Originally Posted by Toddarino
All that being said, I really enjoyed this season a lot. I don’t get all the product placement complaints. I think it would be even more distracting if everything was just generic made up shit.
It's a fine line.

The problem is that the product placement is to blatant. Hopper's sitting in his recliner eating a bag of Tostitos with the logo pointed right at the camera so you know what he's eating like it's from a commercial. And then they're at the mall, and the TACO BELL sign is always perfectly centered in the background. And BURGER KING is there, too, shot and set up so that your eye is clearly drawn to the sign. Or the Coca Cola cans are always set so that you can clearly read their corporate logo.

It's not so much that they're there -- I mean, if you're in an 80s shopping mall, you would expect to see mainstays like Sam Goody and Waldenbooks and Orange Julius and Sbarro Pizza (I don't think I noticed a Sbarro there; I think every mall in America had a Sbarro in the 80s) -- but that they're so prominent during scenes.

And, yeah, it's also kind of odd that everyone is drinking cans of Coke and no Pepsi (which was, in the 80s, the favorite of young people being the "Choice of a New Generation" and what actually forced Coca Cola to introduce "New Coke.") When I was a kid back then, nearly everyone from grade school to high school preferred Pepsi to Coke. Hawkins, Indiana, seems to have been a Pepsi desert.

Old 07-07-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Well it’s all things ABC/ESPN/DISNEY/PIXAR/MARVEL/STAR WARS, and some more. Not everyone will ditch Netflix for Disney +, but they will put a dent in its subscriptions.

I really enjoyed the hell out of Season 3. Still a lot of fun.
We've decided to cancel Netflix in favor of Disney+, and only reactivate it a month at a time for event series like Stranger Things.
Old 07-07-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think I ever watch anything disney on netflix. I watch something on netflix almost daily but usually it is something I never seen before.
Old 07-07-19, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Just learned yesterday that Robin is the daughter of Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. Wow! She's really cute.
Old 07-07-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

^Yeah, I read that about Robin when I was partway through the season. Knowing that, you can really see her mom in her face (especially the eyes and nose), and you can definitely hear Uma's voice and laugh coming out of her. I really liked her character and the whole 'Scoops Troop' gang was a lot of fun together.
Old 07-07-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Best theory I heard was Hopper jumped into the rift so he didn't get vaped. Then, the Russians found him in the Upside Down are holding him.
Old 07-08-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

finished it last night. Better than season 2 imo.

The only part I actively disliked was the constant screaming among Hopper, Joyce and Murray. They just never stopped screaming and actually started to give me anxiety when they would come on screen.

The kids continue to be the main draw and they are great. Was glad that Will finally got to be among the group and not the victim.

They continue to rehash from season to season, and they pile on the 80s nostalgia, but its a fun, easy watch.
Old 07-08-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

Finished it up over the weekend. Super fun season; better than 2 for sure. I'd love for this show to have 15 or so episode seasons rather than 8/10.
Old 07-08-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
^Yeah, I read that about Robin when I was partway through the season. Knowing that, you can really see her mom in her face (especially the eyes and nose), and you can definitely hear Uma's voice and laugh coming out of her. I really liked her character and the whole 'Scoops Troop' gang was a lot of fun together.
That group was the best part of the season for me. they all had really good chemistry together. I'm guessing next season will probably be their last? I thought I read somewhere that the Duffers wanted to do 4-5 seasons.
Old 07-08-19, 12:25 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I loved every moment of it, even the blatant product placement and rehashed Russian bad guys. It was wonderful.

This sure felt like a series ending. I would love more, but wouldn't be surprised if this was it for Stranger Things.
Old 07-08-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way they're ending it now with the credit scene cliffhanger. Otherwise, I would agree. Seemed like a series ending.
Old 07-08-19, 01:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Wait. Credit scene cliffhanger? Was this a post-credit scene? Because I didn't see it. Can someone please post what it was in spoilers?
Old 07-08-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
They flash to a compound somewhere in Russia. Two guys are walking in what looks to be a prison. One of them stops at a door and the other says "No, not the American". They then pull a random guy out of another cell, put him in a cage, and in walks a monster from the Up-side-down to kill him.

All signs seem to be pointing to Hopper being the "American" they mention but never show.
Old 07-08-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Wait. Credit scene cliffhanger? Was this a post-credit scene? Because I didn't see it. Can someone please post what it was in spoilers?
Spoiler:
Show cuts to a lab in Russia and two guards are walking by Jail cell doors, One says no, not the American and they go to the next door where they grab a prisoner and take him down to a fenced off area inside the lab. Inside the fenced area is a Demigorgon and it eats the prisoner.

Old 07-08-19, 02:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Well shit. It's not over!
Old 07-08-19, 02:05 PM
Enormous Genitals

And thanks.
Old 07-08-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Spoiler:
They flash to a compound somewhere in Russia. Two guys are walking in what looks to be a prison. One of them stops at a door and the other says "No, not the American". They then pull a random guy out of another cell, put him in a cage, and in walks a monster from the Up-side-down to kill him.

All signs seem to be pointing to Hopper being the "American" they mention but never show.
Spoiler:
I need to watch the last few minutes after the army came. Seems like they had no prisoners at all. Must have been another exit somewhere else.
Old 07-09-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just wrapped it. I actually thought it was better than season one.
Old 07-09-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Netflix posted on Facebook that 40.7 million have watched the show since it dropped July 4th and 18.2 million have finished the season.
Old 07-09-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finished it within a 24 hour period and absolutely loved it. The Neverending Story Duet was amazing. And I agree with those who said Steve and Robin stole the show this season. I've never gone back to watch the previous 2 seasons, but this one I think I will. Too many rewatchable moments.
Old 07-09-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Finished it within a 24 hour period and absolutely loved it. The Neverending Story Duet was amazing. And I agree with those who said Steve and Robin stole the show this season. I've never gone back to watch the previous 2 seasons, but this one I think I will. Too many rewatchable moments.

Ditto for me on all of that.

It was like a really great 8 hour movie.
Old 07-09-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It was kind of hard to watch Steve get friendzoned like that.

It's kind of weird watching him go from the dickhead thug who beat up Jonathan in season one to the dork working in the ice cream shop, but it does happen in real life that. Go from being one of the cool kids in high school, graduate, then become a loser working at a shitty job trying to pick up high school girls. Can't all be Woodersons.
Old 07-09-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I was a few episodes in and thinking she was very familiar. When I looked up her real name I knew why. Looks like her mom and especially, sounds like her.

Old 07-09-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Netflix posted on Facebook that 40.7 million have watched the show since it dropped July 4th and 18.2 million have finished the season.
Can everyone agree to replace "dropped" with "premiered" from now on? Please?

Why was everyone eating fertilizer? I missed the explanation.
How/why did the creature clone people? Missed that explanation as well.
Old 07-10-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I've been watching an episode every night since it dropped with my family. We like it a lot better than last season.

I agree that the product placement, while it did help elicit some feelings of nostalgia, was pretty obnoxious in parts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.