Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 05:16 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YEG3bmU_WaI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XcnHOQ-cHa0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 3 will be 8 episodes. As mentioned in the news thread, reviews are out and they are positive.

Please be mindful and use spoiler tags for major plot points.
Old 07-01-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Looking forward to S3.
Last season was terrific IMO.
Old 07-01-19, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Rewatching both seasons in anticipation of S3 and season two is a lot better the second time through. Season 2, episode 3 might be my favorite of the series Happy to be working a 10pm-9am PST shift on the 3rd. If I have a slowish night I should be able to get through all but an episode or two which I'll finish off right afterwards.

Last edited by Nesbit; 07-01-19 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Gotta work 12 hours on the fourth. Hopefully I can get half done and finish it up Friday.
Old 07-01-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

What time will this be up?

I think Netflix shows usually drop overnight...
Old 07-01-19, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
What time will this be up?

I think Netflix shows usually drop overnight...
3:01am eastern.
Old 07-01-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I’m hoping it’s good, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more of the same. I don’t think things can get too crazy considering all the commercial tie-ins like Eggo Waffles. It’s essentially a kids show.
Old 07-01-19, 04:03 PM

Reviews are saying this is the summer blockbuster that Hollywood movies have been failing to deliver.
Old 07-02-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a feeling someone is dying
Old 07-02-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706
i have a feeling someone is dying
Going by the trailers, I think that
Spoiler:
Billy
is probably a goner.
Old 07-02-19, 04:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Spoiler:

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YEG3bmU_WaI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XcnHOQ-cHa0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 3 will be 8 episodes. As mentioned in the news thread, reviews are out and they are positive.

Please be mindful and use spoiler tags for major plot points.
Fuck yes!
Old 07-02-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,018 Likes on 629 Posts

I'll definitely be watching at least the first couple of episodes on day 1. Looking forward to Eleven being with the rest of the gang (hopefully) since they were apart for almost all of season 2.
Old 07-04-19, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Netflix on my TV was endlessly spinning at launch, but I was able to watch the first episode on my iPad.
Old 07-04-19, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Netflix on my TV was endlessly spinning at launch, but I was able to watch the first episode on my iPad.
I was streaming through my blu-ray player, but it just kept freezing and skipping. Started over three times before giving up. I tried again this morning and it played fine.

Enjoying it so far. Just finished episode three. Maya Hawke is a good addition. She sounds just like her mom Uma.
Old 07-04-19, 08:37 AM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I’ve been sick the past couple of days, wife has insisted I lock myself in the home theater room and rest. Stranger Things binge begins. Summer 1985, my son turned one, my wife and I were living in Indianapolis and I was going the Navy A school to convert from weatherman to journalist. Great year of transitions in our lives.

Also, the summer of Back to the Future, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, Remo Williams and so many more of of our favorite movies.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 07-04-19 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will never forgive them for not having Sean Astin around for the possible Goonies references!

I don't know if I'm more excited for the movies or music from 85.
Old 07-04-19, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

What's a good recap to watch?
Old 07-04-19, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F
What's a good recap to watch?
The one that is on Netflix.

They put it on YT too:

Old 07-04-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm only two episodes in and I'm already disappointed...

Spoiler:

The Opening
The gratuitous CGI showing off of the laser apparatus was unnecessary and felt like something out of a modern movie set in modern times, complete with Zach Snyder slow-mo when the hazmat suited guys die. And we're really going with Russians as the bad guys? I get that's so 80s, but it's a little too typical. And they're stereotypical bad guy Russians too, who kill their own scientists for the slightest thing. Just like how the Empire does in Star Wars! And apparently they have a T-800 that does their bidding.

Teenager/Adult tropes
So Mike is now a disrespectful little asshole. Oh, but he's a teenager and that's how they all act, right? It felt a little odd that Mike and Eleven were passionately making out with Hopper right outside their room, with the door cracked open. Hopper comes across as a good guy but a hard ass, but meek and mild, nerdy Mike is gonna be that brazen around him?

And they're really playing up the dumb, macho man cliche. Hopper doesn't even know what a "heart-to-heart" is? Isn't that like a really old expression? But he's an 80s man who doesn't deal with sissy emotions, right? So much so that common idioms are foreign to him. And smiling at his own mischievous behavior at breaking up Elle and Mike.

When Mike's sister asks the old lady if she's sure about the bags being full, she responds "I'm may be old, but I'm not dumb." I feel like I've heard this a million times in movies and tv shows. It's bad dialogue writing to me because I've never heard people talk like that in real life, but maybe the writers did that on purpose, incorporating as much 80s cliches as possible. Ironically, a white kid like Dustin sometimes spits out dialogue that seems like it would be out-of-place in the early 80s, like when he refers to his girlfriend's religion as "super religious white people." The old, white, hetero, cisgender male caricatures at Nancy's job are also a nice touch.

80s References Everywhere
I love that the series is heaped in nostalgia, but I mostly appreciated how it felt accurate to the era and didn't hit you over the head with references. It was more The House of the Devil and not Hot Tub Time Machine.
Season 3 is definitely taking a different route and is like remember Madonna's "Material Girl"? Remember that song, "I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight"? And of course we have to have Eleven go on a shopping spree so the audience can see all the funky 80s fashions, right? How was it that Mike had $3.50 but Max has money to buy Eleven complete outfits, ice cream, and studio photos?

We also got Magnum PI AND Cheers. Rudy and Winona are watching Cheers and he actually says, "They're so funny." I was waiting for him to say, "And we are laughing," ala Ron Burgundy.

Secret of the Ooze/Pink Slime
The rats exploding wasn't really gross. I'm guessing they couldn't show blood and actual guts because that would be too much, so exploding into pink slime was better. Kind of like how in Bumblebee the Decepticons shoot humans point blank but they just burst into pink goo.
I'm reading they're going for a John Carpenter The Thing monster-vibe, but it just looks lazy to me.

Robin
Maya Hawke is a solid actress, but her character seems like those sarcastic/ironic types from the 90s. And she's pretty cool and nonchalant about discovering secret Russian transmissions. Her and mostly everyone else in these two episodes come across as caricatures. The science teacher in S1 was a big ol' nerd caricature but he's even worse now.

Everything is back to normal
After all the things that Will has been through, I would expect him to have severe mental and emotional problems. But he's right back to normal, playing D&D and watching horror films. You have Stephen King/Lovecraftian shit happening to these characters, they bounce back a little too well.

I binged watched the first two seasons, but I think I'm good for Season 3. I'll finish the rest of Casablanca instead.

Old 07-04-19, 04:16 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES. No spoilers

IN-MID STREAM: STRANGER THINGS 3 (TV-14/TV-MA) - It’s 1985, and even stranger things at afoot at the Starcourt Mall and elsewhere around Hawkins, as the whole gang is back (except Bob) in the welcome return of this fan favorite

Netflix dropped all 8 episodes of Stranger Things Season 3 on July 4th, and I am happy to report that the adventures of Eleven and the gang, as well as grown-ups Joyce and Hopper, are just as zany, funny, scary, and crazy as the past two seasons. In fact, if anything, as the episodes progress, Stranger Things gets even bigger and at times, nuttier, to the point, I found myself in a state of constant amazement and giggles at how far the Duffer Brothers were willing to take things.

The year 1985 is on full display, from music, food, movies, political tensions and America’s obsession with malls, and all of these play fun and significant roles in what amounts to one of the most fun Scooby Doo adventures ever committed to film. Growing and new relationships also play a huge part in the story - Mike and Elle’s sweet and fairly realistic young teen love; Joyce and Hopper’s complicated adult friendship; Steve and Robin, who work at the mall ice cream shoppe; and a few more surprising pairings that are equally fun and complicated.

Without getting into details, it is obvious that all of the regulars have learned a lot in their past encounters with the Upside Down, are diligent to signs that something is amiss in Hawkins, and are generally better prepared when old and new threats raise their ugly heads.

The first couple of episodes take their time on refamiliarizing us with the primary characters, frankly too numerous to relist here. Then the story brilliantly splits into three separate subplots that all come together in an action-packed finale in the last two episodes.

Trust me when I say, I have NOT revealed any of the wonderful surprises, homages and tributes throughout this terrific show. If I have any criticism, it would be the producers and writers have stuffed this piece of fun Americana with so much, it might take another 8-hour viewing to catch all of the things I have missed. Stranger Things Season 3 is truly fun and scary, and is exactly what we want. I am giving Stranger Things 3 4.5 out of 5 stars.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: (MILD SPOILERS) Stranger Things 3 floats between TV-14 and TV-MA for language, the supernatural violence and ickiness we expect from the series, a surprising amount of punching, gun play, and some torture, a lot of smoking, and some sexual innuendo. “S**t”, “G*****n”, “a**”, “b***h”, and other profanities are uttered by adults and teens throughout the series. There are a couple of times I thought I heard an F-bomb or two, but am not completely sure. Hopper and his dad bod are shown in a towel in a few scenes, and implied to be nude in an awkward scene with Joyce. Billy hopes to hook up with a cougarish mom early in the first episode. Rats (and eventually people) are shown melting into a blobby goo as the Mind-Flayer from the Upside Down begins to invade Hawkins. The general darkness and gooey, tentacled creatures related to the Mind-Flayer that are set loose, again, definitely retain their creep factor. Elle witnesses scenes of domestic abuse when she psychically delves into another character’s past. Elle is injured during a encounter with the Mind Flayer, and the wound is a bit graphic.

MID-CREDITS SCENE: A minute or so into the credits of the last episode is a brief scene. No Spoilers, but worth it.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends.

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.

Old 07-04-19, 04:37 PM

I finished it a little while ago. It was OK. I think some will have issues.

It is starting to get repetitive, so I hope next season will be the last. I know they've said 4 or 5 max.

Maya Hawke was the standout. She sounds (and looks) so much like her mom.

Last edited by dex14; 07-04-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-04-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm very disappointed with:

Spoiler:
the whole Russian subplot. I watched these cliches back in the 80s and early 90s - I know this show lives for the nostalgia factor but this heavy plot point falls completely flat for me in 2019. I really really hated that whole part and was frankly bored through a lot of the season.

I binge rewatched the first two seasons over the last couple days but I know the new season is in trouble when I kept wanting to get to the end so I could go watch the Blue Velvet Criterion release.
Old 07-04-19, 08:51 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I’m watching in Dolby Vision and find their choice of color palette to be a bit odd. All the colors seem really blown out. Probably intentional but a bit jarring.
Old 07-04-19, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I enjoyed it more than Season 2. Steve and Maya stole the show imo. I like how everyone served a purpose this year when in S2, characters like Billy seemed shoehorned into the plot. I loved all of the 80's references, but can see they did go a bit overboard with them. But they did in S2, also.

Spoiler:
I really liked that Elle was with the group more this year and forged a friendship with Max. Drunken/drugged Steve and Maya could get a spinoff and I'd watch that all day long. I didn't mind the Russian subplot, even though the Assassin was clearly a Terminator ripoff. It'll be interesting to see how they got involved in the first place in the next season. The only thing I didn't like was the idea of a town sqaure completely shutting down due to a mall opening. That seemed over-the-top, but overall, I was satisfied with the season.
Old 07-05-19, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That really could have been a series finale, I think.

Generally, I enjoyed it, but I thought it felt really padded, like they could told this whole thing in five or six episodes instead of eight. The first couple of episodes were fun, but the middle sagged with everyone split up and chasing mysteries and mcguffins.

A few kind of spoilery things...

Spoiler:
Wonder if Suzie will become one of the gang in season four.

Felt kind of weird to end it with Elle and the Byers family moving away. They're just going to have to reunite everyone again in season four, so I don't really see the point there.

Wonder if that death will stick. I can't really see a way around it, but it we didn't actually see it happen, either.

And, Holy Product Placement, Batman! Wonder how much Tampax paid them to feature those tampon boxes in every fucking scene set in a store. And, of course, you're getting ready for the fight of your lives, so let's have a two minute discussion about New Coke.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.