Reload this Page >

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Old 07-31-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
The first Blockbuster didn't even open until October of 1985 (in Texas), hence why there is none in Season 3. Family Video, on the other hand, started way back in 1978, in Illinois, no less - explaining why they'd have stores in neighboring Indiana by 1985.
I'm a midwesterner, and I had never heard of Family Video until they started opening stores after Blockbuster and Hollywood Video went under, so it was kind of weird seeing Family Video in Stranger Things.

I don't remember the big chains renting videos moving in until the early 90s. I think I went into my first Blockbuster around '92 or '93.

Around 1985, I remember a local video store/regional chain in Wichita called Popingo that advertised on tv, and in the smaller communities, the grocery stores were renting out videos and players. Most of the video stores were the "mom and pop" variety until they folded when Blockbuster moved in.

It probably would have been more accurate for a place like Hawkins to have an independent video store, a little hole-in-the-wall place packed to the gills with sun-faded VHS tapes.

Old 07-31-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember there were still a variety of mom and pop video rental stores around the mid 80s. I think every video store had a different name. I didn't start to see small chains until round '89 or '90 like The Wherehouse, and then Blockbuster.
Old 08-01-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
After being musically assaulted to start the season, the characters were mostly caricatures and the plot was intermittently interesting. The little sister was downright awful and ruined every scene she was in.
I actually loved that little girl. She reminded me on that youtube girl, who someone was trying to give a timeout to, and she wasn't having ANY of it.
Old 08-01-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does it mean that I am old when I can no longer distinguish memories of the 80s from the 90s?
Old 08-21-19, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished up the Season earlier this evening.

As some posters here have already mentioned, I enjoyed this Season quite a bit more than the previous one.

Creature designs were fun as were a lot of the new team-ups (with Scoops Troop being my favorite).
Old 08-22-19, 06:45 AM

I have 2 episodes left and I'm having a hard time with
Spoiler:
the Russian base and army secretly within the heart of the US during the '80s.

Overall, enjoyable!
Old 08-22-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by leacha View Post
I have 2 episodes left and I'm having a hard time with
Spoiler:
the Russian base and army secretly within the heart of the US during the '80s.

Overall, enjoyable!
But you're not having a hard time with an "upside down" universe where monsters live?

Seriously though, the Russian stuff is a homage to just about every action movie we saw in the 80s. They were the go-to villains.
Old 08-23-19, 03:45 PM

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.
Old 09-06-19, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was a pretty "meh" season. Technically much better than seasons 1 & 2 but it became too campy and predictable. I couldn't stand the little sister and her predictable sassy-ness... and Winona constantly chewing people out to get her point or way was overdone.
Old 09-17-19, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Wow ... I am in the minority in saying this season was not only the weakest season, but downright annoying in many places. I guess the previously mentioned flaws just bugged me more.

After being musically assaulted to start the season, the characters were mostly caricatures and the plot was intermittently interesting. The little sister was downright awful and ruined every scene she was in.

The product placement actually didnít bother me, but I really got a kick out of seeing a Family Video. I guess Blockbuster isnít around to pay for placement anymore, so why bother with them?

Pretty much sums up my feelings about this season. Found it a chore to get through which is why it took so long to finish. The whole Steve/Robin thing was telegraphed from the start and very annoying.

Oh and the

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post

I'll call it now about the ending, even though it's sorta obvious:
Spoiler:
As they say "no body, no death", so Hopper is the "American" in the Russian cell
the only way it would be more obvious is if they had a name on the door.

Season 4 needs to take a departure these have all essentially been rinse and repeat.