Reload this Page >

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Old 07-19-19, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I've seen it mentioned earlier in this thread, but the Steve/Robin interrogation scene was easily the highlight of the season for me. I thought that was very funny.
I think the Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Erica storyline at the mall was the highlight of the entire season.

Spoiler:
Their little adventure in working at the mall, hearing the coded Russian message, figuring out the secret room/elevator, and finding the secret underground research center was a great little movie of its own within the season. I didn't find any of the other characters' concurrent storylines remotely as compelling. The Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Erica storyline only partially derailed when they linked up with other characters near the end. And Steve and Robin's chemistry together was so good that the plot twist of her being a lesbian seemed like a bit of a cop-out because they really should've ended up as a couple by the end.
Old 07-20-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ranking: 1, 3, 2

3 flowed much better and was more compelling than 2, and didn't have that single shitty backdoor pilot for 80s Music Video Cliches: The Motion Picture to derail the momentum.
Old 07-24-19, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finished S3.
Really enjoyed it, except for:
1) The retro music was applied with a gimmicky brush at times.
2) Erica = a comic-relief character not needed.
3) Some serious Suspension of Disbelief
Spoiler:
(the Russian underground facilities, the fireworks weaponry, the Kmart Terminator)
Old 07-24-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Overall, very enjoyable, but the shouting/screaming/fighting became very repetitive and 11's schtick is getting a little old (uh oh... here's that drop of blood again!).

I understand why some who didn't experience that era calling this season "excessively 80's", but to me it was like this huge awesome trip down memory lane.

Last edited by eXcentris; 07-24-19 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So why would she all of a sudden stop having a nosebleed when using her power?
Old 07-24-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I could be wrong but it seems like she always bleeds from the same nostril (left hand side, I think). I seem to remember blood from booth at one point. Does she ever bleed from just the other (right hand side) nostril?

Also, can Eleven really not pronounce Illinois? Did she forget that she went there last season. Though I don't remember how exactly she got there. Maybe she didn't know the name of the place she went to.
Old 07-25-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
So why would she all of a sudden stop having a nosebleed when using her power?
I don't care about the bleeding, it's just to illustrate that "using her powers" occurs way too often so it becomes predictable and sort of plot "crutch". Hmmm what do we do here... Wait... We'll have 11 show up and use her powers!
Old 07-25-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Finished S3.
Really enjoyed it, except for:
1) The retro music was applied with a gimmicky brush at times.
2) Erica = a comic-relief character not needed.
3) Some serious Suspension of Disbelief
Spoiler:
(the Russian underground facilities, the fireworks weaponry, the Kmart Terminator)
So no suspension of disbelief when it comes to inter-dimensional creatures and people with superpowers but you have a problem with Russian underground bases?
Old 07-25-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I don't care about the bleeding, it's just to illustrate that "using her powers" occurs way too often so it becomes predictable and sort of plot "crutch". Hmmm what do we do here... Wait... We'll have 11 show up and use her powers!
So, Superman shouldn't use his crutch of leaping over tall buildings, he should take the elevator.
Old 07-25-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought that her getting nose bleeds was a sign that it was having a detrimental effect on her body, meaning that she would have to use her powers sparingly or she would die or something bad would happen to her.
Instead, she's using her powers all the time, to harass mall goers and spy on her boyfriend.

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
So, Superman shouldn't use his crutch of leaping over tall buildings, he should take the elevator.
One of the arguments that Superman is a bad character is that he's too powerful.
Old 07-25-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
So no suspension of disbelief when it comes to inter-dimensional creatures and people with superpowers but you have a problem with Russian underground bases?
I don't get this type of argument. Because there are supernatural aspects in a story that must mean any criticism of anything perceived as unrealistic or ridiculous is off-limits? If Hopper was the owner or a Lamborghini this season and seen casually driving around in it without anyone batting an eye, I suppose the defense would be "Inter-dimenional creatures and kids with super powers are believable, but Americans driving sports cars are where you draw the line?"

Yes, the Soviet Union building a giant underground military base in the middle of the United States during the Cold War is hard to believe, especially considering it's at the same site where the US government was previously conducting all these anti-Soviet experiments in the first place.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-26-19 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-25-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I don't get this type of argument. Because there are supernatural aspects in a story that must mean anything criticism of anything perceived as unrealistic or ridiculous is off-limits? If Hopper was the owner or a Lamborghini this season and seen casually driving around in it without anyone batting an eye, I suppose the defense would be "Inter-dimenional creatures and kids with super powers are believable, but Americans driving sports cars are where you draw the line?"

Yes, the Soviet Union building a giant underground military base in the middle of the United States during the Cold War is hard to believe, especially considering it's at the same site where the US government was previously conducting all these anti-Soviet experiments in the first place.
Hopper driving a Lamborghini would make zero sense for the story since he is a small town police chief. It makes perfect sense for a show that is an homage to 80's movies to have a secret Russian base under a mall.
Old 07-25-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopper driving a Lamborghini would make zero sense for the story since he is a small town police chief. It makes perfect sense for a show that is an homage to 80's movies to have a secret Russian base under a mall.
I'm just going by your initial defense that since it involves make believe things like inter-dimensional creatures and people with super powers, anything goes.

Now it's because it's a homage to 80s movies because...apparently that's just how 80s films were, despite the fact there were a variety of genres back then with varying degrees of quality? In a goofy movie like Innerspace, I can see that Russian-base-under-the-mall scenario. But it's hard to instill Lovecraftian fear and a maintain a Stephen King-like mood when you have the Goonies infiltrating the Soviet super-villains secret hideout, and fat Chuck Norris kicking commie butt in a Magnum P.I. shirt. I mean, if they're leaning more towards a Kung Fury vibe, mission accomplished.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-26-19 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-26-19, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

I understand why some who didn't experience that era calling this season "excessively 80's",
I hope you're not referring to me; I'm 63 years old.

SEE BELOW.

I don't get this type of argument. Because there are supernatural aspects in a story that must mean anything criticism of anything perceived as unrealistic or ridiculous is off-limits? If Hopper was the owner or a Lamborghini this season and seen casually driving around in it without anyone batting an eye, I suppose the defense would be "Inter-dimenional creatures and kids with super powers are believable, but Americans driving sports cars are where you draw the line?"

I'm just going by your initial defense that since it involves make believe things like inter-dimensional creatures and people with super powers, anything goes.

Now it's because it's a homage to 80s movies because...apparently that's just how 80s films were, despite the fact there were a variety of genre's back then with varying degrees of quality? In a goofy movie like Innerspace, I can see that Russian-base-under-the-mall scenario. But it's hard to instill Lovecraftian fear and a maintain Stephen King-like mood when you have the Goonies infiltrating the Soviet super-villains secret hideout, and fat Chuck Norris kicking commie butt in a Magnum P.I. shirt. I mean, if they're leaning more towards a Kung Fury vibe, mission accomplished.
Thank you for saving me some typing.
Old 07-26-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this was my favourite season of Stranger Things, one I expect to re-watch. Eight episodes was a good length, and I like that rather than be episodic, it focused on playing out one story like this was a very long movie.

Of course the Soviet secret base under the mall is ridiculous, but I'm watching the show through the gauze of this being an 80's children's movie (like The Goonies, or Gremlins) that I missed back in the day, and am just getting around to seeing now.

As for the post credit scene:
Spoiler:
While I'm sure Hopper is still around and we haven't seen the last of him, I think the "American" prisoner referred to will turn out to be Murray. Hunch based on them not including him in in the wrap up where we saw an update on every main character except him.
Old 07-26-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
As for the post credit scene:
Spoiler:
While I'm sure Hopper is still around and we haven't seen the last of him, I think the "American" prisoner referred to will turn out to be Murray. Hunch based on them not including him in in the wrap up where we saw an update on every main character except him.
Nah, Murray isn't one one in the prison cell, he's just "off the radar" and trying to find out what happened to Hopper.
Call 618-625-8313 for more information.
Old 07-26-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed this season as well. It was very well paced with good structure. The season did a good job of having relay to the viewer how menacing the threat is all the while making it believable that the characters don't get it until later in the season. I got a kick out of the 80's nostalgia, especially with everything taking place in a mall.

I liked the ending...

Spoiler:
Eleven reading the "heart to heart" from Hopper was perfectly touching. The Byers and Eleven leaving Hawking made sense and was a good way to end the show. I kind of wish that this is where they would end it, there's really no reason for another season. That's why I didn't like the extended ending part all that much. It was good in a vacuum but I'd rather have this be where they end the story.
Old 07-26-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ It was always going to be four seasons. No point in lamenting that it didn't end here.

And honestly, there are still too many unanswered questions to have a satisfying conclusion at present anyways.
Old 07-27-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good season

the last episode was top notch stuff
Old 07-30-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow ... I am in the minority in saying this season was not only the weakest season, but downright annoying in many places. I guess the previously mentioned flaws just bugged me more.

After being musically assaulted to start the season, the characters were mostly caricatures and the plot was intermittently interesting. The little sister was downright awful and ruined every scene she was in.

The product placement actually didnít bother me, but I really got a kick out of seeing a Family Video. I guess Blockbuster isnít around to pay for placement anymore, so why bother with them?
Old 07-30-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Nah, Murray isn't one one in the prison cell, he's just "off the radar" and trying to find out what happened to Hopper.
Call 618-625-8313 for more information.

Ha!
Old 07-30-19, 09:21 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Had to back out of this thread, we haven't seen it yet, spoilers galore. Someone ought to add SPOILER ALERT to the thread title.
Old 07-30-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Had to back out of this thread, we haven't seen it yet, spoilers galore. Someone ought to add SPOILER ALERT to the thread title.
It should be a given that a thread about discussing a show would actually have posts discussing events that happened in the show. As such it's a given not to visit threads or at the very least not read through the entire thing if you haven't seen the show.
Old 07-31-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
The product placement actually didn’t bother me, but I really got a kick out of seeing a Family Video. I guess Blockbuster isn’t around to pay for placement anymore, so why bother with them?

The first Blockbuster didn't even open until October of 1985 (in Texas), hence why there is none in Season 3. Family Video, on the other hand, started way back in 1978, in Illinois, no less - explaining why they'd have stores in neighboring Indiana by 1985.
Old 07-31-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Wow ... I am in the minority in saying this season was not only the weakest season, but downright annoying in many places. After being musically assaulted to start the season, the characters were mostly caricatures and the plot was intermittently interesting. The little sister was downright awful and ruined every scene she was in.
You ain't alone. Terrible season. Comparing this annoying mess with Season 1, I couldn't help but think, "What HAPPENED?" Where's the menace, where's the real tension, where's the genuine kid behavior, where's the sense of character, where's most of the stuff I love about this series? How do creators so comprehensively lose sight of what made their show a hit in the first place? Anyway, IMO.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.