Reload this Page >

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Old 07-05-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: Stranger Things (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 7/4/19

Half way through and I'm really enjoying it. It is more of the same but since we get so little, more of the same is good for me. Love the 80's vibe. Hooper and Joyce are the two low points, IMO. Everything with the kids has been enjoyable.
Old 07-05-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Eh, I liked it better than season two. I can overlook the plot contrivances, shoehorned pop culture references and blatant product placement. The majority of the cast are so charismatic that it still makes this show a breeze to sit through. I do consider Winona Ryder to be the weakest link (as I have since the first season). I've liked her fine in other stuff, but I just don't find her portrayal of Joyce to be credible. All she offers is wide-eyed anxiousness. The nurturing mother stuff never feels genuine to me. I detected zero chemistry between her and David Harbour, which is unfortunate since they're stuck together for most of the season.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
A few kind of spoilery things...

Spoiler:
Wonder if that death will stick. I can't really see a way around it, but it we didn't actually see it happen, either.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I doubt it will stick. They would have shown something more definitive... plus the Russians mentioned "the American" prisoner in the mid-credits scene.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-05-19 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
“S**t”, “G*****n”, “a**”, “b***h”, and other profanities are uttered by adults and teens throughout the series. There are a couple of times I thought I heard an F-bomb or two, but am not completely sure.
I watch with captions. I'm halfway through and Billy does drop an f-bomb when he's trying to get out of the sauna.
Old 07-05-19, 11:34 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved this season. I actually feel the changes some have criticized make sense in the context. Season one felt like a 1983 film, but this felt like a 1985 film. I know it's only two years, but as someone who was about the age these kids are here in 1985 it feels true to the aesthetic shift that was happening in pop culture around this time. I feel like the creators are very intentionally tweaking the whole show to roll with the specifics of the timeframe they are presenting.

As far as the pop culture references, I also thinks this relates to the characters coming of age. They made pop culture references in prior seasons to things like Ghostbusters and video games Now that they are becoming teenagers, this is the age many kids really start getting into popular music and trends, so I think it makes sense these pop culture elements come to the forefront a bit.
Old 07-05-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Half way through and really enjoying it so far.
Old 07-05-19, 03:10 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I watch with captions. I'm halfway through and Billy does drop an f-bomb when he's trying to get out of the sauna.
That’s actually one of the scenes where I thought I heard it. Nice to know somebody is actually reading what I post!
Old 07-05-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I thought he said it too, but wasn't sure.
Old 07-05-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Season one felt like a 1983 film, but this felt like a 1985 film. I know it's only two years, but as someone who was about the age these kids are here in 1985 it feels true to the aesthetic shift that was happening in pop culture around this time.
That’s a good observation. I suppose the colorful visuals are like Back To The Future And the even more kid-like elements are more The Explorers than Stand By Me, both those two films from ‘85.

I feel like the creators are very intentionally tweaking the whole show to roll with the specifics of the timeframe they are presenting.
But to me that comes off as even more gimmicky. The tone of the series and story is adjusted to accommodate pop culture references and nostalgia nods instead of vice versus. It’s feeling more like the Goldbergs now.

As far as the pop culture references, I also thinks this relates to the characters coming of age. They made pop culture references in prior seasons to things like Ghostbusters and video games Now that they are becoming teenagers, this is the age many kids really start getting into popular music and trends, so I think it makes sense these pop culture elements come to the forefront a bit.
I can understand characters making pop culture references. Although that wasn’t really common in films until Tarantino, in real life people do use them. But actually playing Material Girl when Eleven and Max go shopping is s little too on the nose. And I remember the Ghostbusters references and although I’m a fan I thought it was s little too much.,At the time I was questioning whether a kid like Will, who had gone through a terrifying supernatural experience, would still be a fan of stuff like that. It also takes me out the story when you have a fictional supernatural show set in the 80s and simultaneously they’re explicitly referencing a fictional supernatural movie from the 80s.

Then you have even more blatant product placement that the show creators actively sought out, which again, takes me out the story. The Coke can in S1 was pretty noticeable considering the dire scene it was in, but 3 seasons later the brand is pretty annoying.
Old 07-05-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Finished the season. Really enjoyed it. Great production value. Netflix can slow down on other originals if it means more money on the current popular ones. The acting is great from everyone...especially the Billy character. Steve has really come along well.

I'll call it now about the ending, even though it's sorta obvious:
Spoiler:
As they say "no body, no death", so Hopper is the "American" in the Russian cell
Old 07-05-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

So many cereals I remember as a kid.
Old 07-06-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Finished the season. Really enjoyed it. Great production value. Netflix can slow down on other originals if it means more money on the current popular ones. The acting is great from everyone...especially the Billy character. Steve has really come along well.

I'll call it now about the ending, even though it's sorta obvious:
Spoiler:
As they say "no body, no death", so Hopper is the "American" in the Russian cell
Just finished late last night so was tired and not really thinking well, but yeah has to be.
Old 07-06-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Spoiler:
I really wonder if this was going to be the last season at some point. Maybe during the lawsuit? It seems like it was shot that way and then they tacked on the end credits sequence. It’s obviously Hopper in there and if they did it last minute, they wouldn’t have time necessarily to get Harbour for a bit scene.

All that being said, I really enjoyed this season a lot. I don’t get all the product placement complaints. I think it would be even more distracting if everything was just generic made up shit.
Season 2 felt like they watched Aliens over and over. This one felt like they watched
Spoiler:
the Thing, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and the Stuff. (Yeah two of those were talked about or spotted)

I love this show. Minus that 008/011 episode in season two, every episode is good/great.
Old 07-06-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toddarino
All that being said, I really enjoyed this season a lot. I don’t get all the product placement complaints. I think it would be even more distracting if everything was just generic made up shit.

It was hard to avoid Pepsi or Coke back then, so it would be unrealistic if you didn't see either brand at some point. However, it's just as unrealistic that you see "Coke" everywhere but not Pepsi or any other non-Coca-Cola branded soft drink in the world of Stranger Things. Even when Eleven and Max play spin the bottle they have to make sure the "Coke" logo is visible.
The below scene was great from S1 but wow, that product placement is blatant (spoilered for size):
Spoiler:

Season 2 felt like they watched Aliens over and over. This one felt like they watched
Spoiler:
the Thing, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and the Stuff. (Yeah two of those were talked about or spotted)
What bothers me about the "inspiration" for the last two seasons is that the material they're drawing from is much better. If you're going to borrow from something, do it in a way that improves upon it.
The Giger-designed xenomorphs were far more visually interesting and intimidating than the "demodogs" in S2. If anything, I'd rather have watched The Thing and Invasion of the Body Snatchers over this.
Old 07-06-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Liked this season season about the same as 2 which I liked and not as much as season 1. Didn't care for most of the romantic relationship stuff or maybe there was just to much of it. Also didn't like the cartoonish nature of the Russians. Other than those things the show was great. Lots of easter eggs to old movies. Good monster design. Loved the little sister. I didn't at first because I thought she would be used differently.

Oh there is one more thing I didn't care for. At one point a large number of people go missing at the same time. They never showed a town reaction to this to this event. You see people reacting to people like hey where you going but nothing nothing on the scale the event should have had. Just a minor thing though.

And another thing I liked is how they handled a gay character. One of the few relationships points I liked in the show.
Old 07-06-19, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Spoiler:
I really wonder if this was going to be the last season at some point. Maybe during the lawsuit? It seems like it was shot that way and then they tacked on the end credits sequence. It’s obviously Hopper in there and if they did it last minute, they wouldn’t have time necessarily to get Harbour for a bit scene.

Spoiler:

I love this show. Minus that 008/011 episode in season two, every episode is good/great.
its one of Netflixes biggest shows and has massive merchandising deals. It’s not ending anytime soon (and if it does, I expect spinoffs or whatever)
Old 07-06-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Just finished it. I liked it a lot better than S2, which had serious pacing issues. I'm glad they decided to ditch the whole story of the other group of super powered kids. I was a bit skeptical during the first two episodes when they were playing 80s music non-stop that they were going to try and hammer us over the head with nostalgia, but they eased up around episode 3, which is where everything really kicked into high gear . My only major gripe is that there was a bit too much humor. I like well written jokes as much as anyone, but I feel they overdid it a bit.

I am glad that they
Spoiler:
didn't pull out some kind of "save the flayed" people device and once the creature was dead, so were they. That's definitely Hopper in the cell in Russia.

Overall, I liked it , and agree that this should have been the series finale. I would like to think that Netflix will wait a few years in the timeline until maybe 1989 to reunite them as adults or perhaps we can get a couple of big screen movies. But since Disney is going to start having the upper hand in the streaming area soon, I don't see Netflix giving up its one sure fire hit.
Old 07-06-19, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
But since Disney is going to start having the upper hand in the streaming area soon, I don't see Netflix giving up its one sure fire hit.
That's a bit presumptuous.You think everyone will ditch Netflix for Disney to watch catalog shows/movies and two dozen Star Wars/super hero shows?
Old 07-06-19, 10:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well it’s all things ABC/ESPN/DISNEY/PIXAR/MARVEL/STAR WARS, and some more. Not everyone will ditch Netflix for Disney +, but they will put a dent in its subscriptions.

I really enjoyed the hell out of Season 3. Still a lot of fun.

Last edited by E Unit; 07-06-19 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 02:57 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I'm tired of this ongoing battle with the other dimension. I wish that each season had a different theme. You could keep the same cast and location. Just make the town a hotbed for weird stuff. Alien invasion, Russians, haunted houses, time travel, treasure hunting, etc.

Originally Posted by brayzie
It was hard to avoid Pepsi or Coke back then, so it would be unrealistic if you didn't see either brand at some point. However, it's just as unrealistic that you see "Coke" everywhere but not Pepsi or any other non-Coca-Cola branded soft drink in the world of Stranger Things.
I was disappointed that they didn't show the Russians drinking Pepsi. That would have been funny. It was a real thing in the 80's. Pepsi was huge in Russia.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 07-07-19 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 03:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

2 episodes in and absolutely loving it. I thought S2 was a bit clunky at times.
Old 07-07-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm tired of this ongoing battle with the other dimension. I wish that each season had a different theme. You could keep the same cast and location. Just make the town a hotbed for weird stuff. Alien invasion, Russians, haunted houses, time travel, treasure hunting, etc.
That's what I thought the original premise of the series was going to be when it first came out. After seeing something like the Upside Down introduced, it would be weird if that whole thing got wrapped up and they moved onto aliens, ghosts, Lochness monster, etc.
I only hate that so far, each season feels the same:
S1 Will gets captured/Eleven saves them all by beating the end boss.
S2 Will gets possessed/Eleven saves them all by beating the end boss​​​​​​
S3 Billy gets possessed/Eleven saves them all by beating the end boss.

I thought that in S2 Eleven was going to be shown to have developed some kind of affinity or sense of belonging to the Upside Down and the beings that live there. Or maybe corrupted by her powers.
Old 07-07-19, 04:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Major spoiler for the finale:

Spoiler:
I do find it amusing that Suzie-poo is responsible for at least one death because she had to have a Limahl duet with Dusty-buns before giving him that damn code.

Was it worth it? Yes... yes it was.
Old 07-07-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah there is a definite pattern here and a seemingly unwillingness to shake things up. Season 3 is basically a rehash of the last season, which was mostly a rehash of the first, with a very minor difference as noted in the post above.

They seem to be focusing a lot more on the 80s nostalgia factor this season as well.
Old 07-07-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
That's what I thought the original premise of the series was going to be when it first came out. After seeing something like the Upside Down introduced, it would be weird if that whole thing got wrapped up and they moved onto aliens, ghosts, Lochness monster, etc.
I only hate that so far, each season feels the same:
S1 Will gets captured/Eleven saves them all by beating the end boss.
S2 Will gets possessed/Eleven saves them all by beating the end boss​​​​​​
S3 Billy gets possessed/Eleven saves them all by beating the end boss.

I thought that in S2 Eleven was going to be shown to have developed some kind of affinity or sense of belonging to the Upside Down and the beings that live there. Or maybe corrupted by her powers.
Uh...
Spoiler:
this past season Eleven didn't save them all, in fact, she wound up being the one who got saved. I was actually glad they took a somewhat different route with her losing her powers (though definitely temporarily) at the end.
Old 07-07-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Major spoiler for the finale:

Spoiler:
I do find it amusing that Suzie-poo is responsible for at least one death because she had to have a Limahl duet with Dusty-buns before giving him that damn code.

Was it worth it? Yes... yes it was.
Yeah, I noticed that, too.

Spoiler:
If she had just given the planck constant to Dustin instead of making him sing that stupid song from that stupid movie (not a fan of TNES) then Hopper would have gotten to the machine a minute earlier, before the Russians arrived and shut it down. It also might have destroyed the Mind Flayer before it delivered the killing blow to Billy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.