Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) -- from Mike Flanagan -- premieres 10/9/20

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 11:29 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) -- from Mike Flanagan -- premieres 10/9/20

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Arguably, last year’s very best new horror project was Netflix and Mike Flanagan‘s “The Haunting of Hill House,“ a brilliant, beautiful and downright terrifying (loose) adaptation of Shirley Jackson’s novel. The debut season followed the Crain family and their nightmarish ordeal with the titular house, and Flanagan has promised that *their* story is complete.

But that doesn’t mean the Netflix series is ending at just one season!

Announced by Netflix today, a “new chapter” of “The Haunting of Hill House” will arrive in 2020, and a short video today teases the new haunting. Listen closely to the video below.

Additionally, Netflix has entered into a multi-year overall television deal with Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy. Following the success of “Hill House,” Flanagan and Macy will develop and produce new series exclusively for Netflix, including an all-new chapter in “The Haunting” anthology, with the next installment chronicling a new story with all new characters.

It would seem the next season won’t be set at Hill House, so we’re expecting that the title will not be “The Haunting of Hill House” but rather “The Haunting of [insert new location].”

UPDATE: Season 2 will be titled “The Haunting of Bly Manor,“ an adaptation of Henry James’ The Turn of the Screw. Via Wiki, “the novella focuses on a governess who, caring for two children at a remote estate, becomes convinced that the grounds are haunted.”
https://bloody-disgusting.com/tv/354...lQJbyjEDzBq62o
Old 02-21-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix) D: Flanagan, S: Gugino, Hutton, Thomas, Reaser

Awesome news. IMHO the first season is the best original TV show Netflix has ever done.
Old 06-28-19, 12:31 PM

re: The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) -- from Mike Flanagan -- premieres 10/9/20

EXCLUSIVE: The Haunting of Hill House breakout Victoria Pedretti will be back as the lead in the the second installment of the Netflix horror anthology series, The Haunting of Bly Manor, from Mike Flanagan, Trevor Macy, Amblin TV and Paramount TV.

Pedretti has quickly become one of Netflix’s acting MVPs — the young actress also is set as the female lead in the upcoming second season of the streamer’s psychological thriller drama series You.

The Haunting of Bly Manor is inspired by Henry James’ psychological gothic horror novella The Turn of the Screw, which takes place almost entirely in an old country mansion. There, two young orphans are looked after by a young governess by whom most of the story is narrated by.

Pedretti will play the governess, Dani, who is looking after the two unique children. The role has been played by a number of actresses in various adaptations and reworkings of The Turn of the Screw, from Deborah Kerr in the 1961 critically acclaimed feature The Innocents to Michelle Dockery in the 2009 BBC film The Turn of the Screw.

Pedretti was fresh out of college when in 2017 Netflix cast her as “Nell” Crain Vance in The Haunting of Hill House in her first acting job. The role made her an instant fan favorite, earning her an MTV Film and Movie Awards nomination for Most Frightened Performance.

She followed that with roles in Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming Once Upon a Time In Hollywood and Apple’s anthology series Amazing Stories. Pedretti is repped by Gersh and Management 360.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/victori...ix-1202639440/
Old 08-28-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) -- from Mike Flanagan -- premieres 10/9/20

Mike Flanagan just tweeted that Henry Thomas will be joining the cast. And he'll be making more announcements next couple days.
Old 08-28-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to hear. I really enjoyed the Haunting of Hill House. I want to go back and rewatch after learning about all the hidden ghosts in some scenes.
Old 08-31-20, 08:32 AM

The Haunting of Bly Manor is the follow-up to 2018's The Haunting of Hill House. Arriving October 9th, this new chapter in the Haunting anthology series revolves around Bly Manor and the lives of its inhabitants, both living and dead. The Haunting of Bly Manor stars Victoria Pedretti, Henry Thomas, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Kate Siegel, T'Nia Miller, Rahul Kohli, Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, Amelie Smith and Amelia Eve.
Old 08-31-20, 09:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) -- from Mike Flanagan -- premieres 10/9/20

Will this be as good as the "The Turning"? Only time will tell...
Old 08-31-20, 11:46 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Haunting of Bly Manor (Netflix) -- from Mike Flanagan -- premieres 10/9/20

Heh, in October. When I saw that, I thought “Ah, something for later this year”, then I realized October is 2 months away. I hate 2020, but I hope this is good.
Old 08-31-20, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Looks promising! loved the first series and have rewatched it a few times already. I'm down for this one for sure, going to be strange to see the original cast play new roles but they were all stellar.
Old 08-31-20, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Old 08-31-20, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
Heh, in October. When I saw that, I thought “Ah, something for later this year”, then I realized October is 2 months away. I hate 2020, but I hope this is good.
At this point it is closer to 1 month away.
Old 10-08-20, 06:48 PM

Premieres tomorrow.
Old 10-09-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I definitely like Flannigan but he's a "squeaky clean" director - I don't how else to put it other than everything he does (for the most part) looks airbrushed to perfection and all the actors look like models.

He's great but needs to tone down the polish a bit.

With that said, I really, really, liked the haunting of hill house and I'm looking forward to this.
Old 10-09-20, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I definitely like Flannigan but he's a "squeaky clean" director - I don't how else to put it other than everything he does (for the most part) looks airbrushed to perfection and all the actors look like models.

With that said, I really, really, liked the haunting of hill house and I'm looking forward to this.
IMDB shows that he only directed one episode of this. Looks like 6 other directors shared the duties this time.

Now, of those other 6 directors, I haven’t seen a single thing any of them have done except Sinister 2, and that was nothing memorable so who knows.
Old 10-09-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
IMDB shows that he only directed one episode of this. Looks like 6 other directors shared the duties this time.

Now, of those other 6 directors, I haven’t seen a single thing any of them have done except Sinister 2, and that was nothing memorable so who knows.
Did not know that, sounds interesting - he did say that hill house damn near killed him and the cast (getting it made) so he probably decided to step back for that reason alone.
Old 10-09-20, 12:40 PM

He wrote all the episodes for this though. He was also prepping Midnight Mass, as he will be writing and directing all of those episodes.
Old 10-09-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He shoots everything to look soft, it's definitely distinctive for him, not sure how I feel about it.
Old 10-09-20, 02:54 PM

I have two episodes left. It is fine, but is no where near the same level as Hill House.
The following users liked this post:
wahlers (10-12-20)
Old 10-10-20, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
He shoots everything to look soft, it's definitely distinctive for him, not sure how I feel about it.
There’s too much hard lighting in horror these days, IMO.
Old 10-11-20, 03:09 AM

I also have 2 episodes left, which I’m saving til tomorrow. I didn’t want to binge it all in one day.
i agree that while this is still an excellent season, it’s not at the level of season one.
Old 10-11-20, 04:08 AM

It has been nice watching Pedretti though. She is beautiful.
Old 10-12-20, 12:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's great but needs to tone down the polish a bit
He's not nearly as bad as everything Ryan Murphy touches though. I still believe the Mike Flannigan characters are human beings. Ryan Murphy characters seem like cartoons.

Last edited by wahlers; 10-12-20 at 12:28 AM.
rbrown498 (10-20-20)
Old 10-12-20, 12:28 AM

I was disappointed. I think it may have been my expectations, or the promotion of it.

Their own admission in the final episode echoes exactly what I had just told my cousin was my problem with it somewhere around episode 6. I don't want to spoil it, but for anyone who's seen in, it what the young woman tells the narrator woman is her issue with what was told was a ghost story. That was my issue too.

I liked Hill House a lot, and I went into it with the mindset that I wouldn't like it because it was being sold as being connected to the book, when it really had nothing below the surface to do with it. But it absolutely won me over.

This one, not so much. If I could have watched a long film of maybe 3 hours, I would have been better with it. But having spent 9 hours on it over my Friday night and Saturday afternoon, I feel like there were better ways I could have spent my time.

I also felt like the writing device of the disjointed storytelling, which worked so beautifully on Hill House, felt shoehorned and ham-handed in this one. Like he knew people liked that and felt like he had to do it again. Or he can't write any other way. Even Quentin Tarantino, who I personally think is a one-trick-pony and a hack, realized that the non-linear storytelling in Pulp Fiction didn't need to be used over and over again in everything he did.

Oh, and for the record, unlike that very unpopular review going around online, I am a big fan of horror films, as well as atmospheric films, thrillers, and mysteries. This just wasn't enough of one for me.
Old 10-12-20, 01:40 PM

On a scale of 1 out 10, with Haunting of Hill House being a 10, I’d give this an 8. It’s a brilliant, beautiful story, especially the last two episodes where everything really comes together.
There’s nothing here that’s quite as jawdropping as Hill House’s mindfuck reveal of the Bent-Neck Lady’s identity, or the masterclass in acting in the funeral episode. But the characterizations here are every bit as strong as those in Hill House. Possibly even stronger.

Thoughts on what to adapt for season 3? Rebecca could work with some revisions (“The Haunting of Manderley Estate“), but the plot probably has too many similarities to the Bly Manor episode “The Romance of Certain Old Clothes.” I think that Dark Shadows could be interesting, even though it’s not based on gothic lit. That revival season in the 90s with Ben Cross was done really well. “The Haunting of Collinwood Estate.”
Old 10-12-20, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Thoughts on what to adapt for season 3?
Hell House by Richard Matheson
Thos19 (10-13-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.