Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Castle Rock (Hulu) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 10/23/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-20-19, 11:03 AM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

Castle Rock is resurrecting Stephen King’s No. 1 fangirl, tapping Lizzy Caplan to play “budding psychopath” Annie Wilkes in the Hulu anthology drama’s Misery prequel-themed Season 2, TVLine has learned. Also joining the series’ 10-episode sophomore run: Eighth Grade star Elsie Fisher (as Annie’s daughter Joy!), as well as Oscar winner Tim Robbins and Garrett Hedlund (Pan, TRON: Legacy).

Set in the titular (but fictional) town where King has based many of his published works, Castle Rock weaves together different locations and characters from the author’s greatest hits. Per the official Season 2 logline, “A feud between warring clans comes to a boil when Annie Wilkes, King’s nurse from hell, gets waylaid in Castle Rock.”

It goes without saying that Caplan has big shoes to fill. The character of Annie — featured in King’s 1987 novel of the same name — gained icon status when Kathy Bates portrayed her in the 1990 film adaptation. The portrayal netted her an Oscar. For Fisher, the role of Annie’s home-schooled daughter arrives in the wake of her breakout success in Eighth Grade.

Meanwhile, Robbins — arguably best known for his starring role in 1994’s Shawshank Redemption, which was based on King’s 1982 novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption — will inhabit another notable King subject: Reginald “Pop” Merrill (from King’s 1990 novella The Sun Dog). The Patriarch of the Merrill crime family, Pop is dying of cancer and at a reckoning with his family. Hedlund co-stars as Pop’s nephew John “Ace” Merrill, who is taking over his uncle’s businesses and threatening a fragile peace with nearby Jerusalem’s Lot.

Castle Rock‘s Season 2 ensemble also includes Yusra Warsama (NBC’s Dracula), Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips) and Matthew Alan (13 Reasons Why).

King serves as an EP on Castle Rock alongside JJ Abrams, Ben Stephenson, Dustin Thomason, Vince Calandra, Sam Shaw and Liz Glotzer.
https://tvline.com/2019/03/20/castle...Zpp5AJpYKA1U9c
Old 03-20-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Castle Rock (Hulu) - Stephen King anthology series - EP: Abrams - premieres 7/25/18

I bailed on this show. Now wondering if I should try to watch again...
Old 03-20-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 345 Posts
Castle Rock: Season 2 (Hulu)

Lizzy Caplan as young Annie Wilkes sounds interesting.
Old 03-20-19, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Castle Rock (Hulu) - Stephen King anthology series - EP: Abrams - premieres 7/25/18

I stuck with it but it taught me to trust my instincts and dump a show when the thought enters my mind.
Old 03-20-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I can’t believe I’m saying this since they’ll probably just fuck it up, but it might be cool to incorporate some of the supernatural elements from Salem’s Lot.
Old 03-20-19, 04:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Even though this ended horribly, there was more good than bad. I'm in for another season.
Old 03-20-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First season was boring as heck, so I don't think I'm going to tune into another season.
Old 04-12-19, 05:32 AM

Hulu is recasting one of the leads opposite Lizzy Caplan in the second season of Castle Rock. Paul Sparks (Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards) has been tapped to play John “Ace” Merrill, Castle Rock’s legendary bully, in the psychological horror series from J.J. Abrams and Stephen King. Sparks replaces Garrett Hedlund, who was originally cast in the role.

I hear the recasting was a creative decision related to the character of Ace, who is taking over his uncle Pop’s (Tim Robbins) businesses and threatening a fragile peace with nearby Jerusalem’s Lot. It was made after Hedlund had filmed a handful of scenes. They will now be reshot.

In Season 2 of Castle Rock, a feud between warring clans comes to a boil when budding psychopath Annie Wilkes (Lizzy Caplan), Stephen King’s nurse from hell, gets waylaid in Castle Rock. Season 2 cast also include Yusra Warsama, Barkhad Abdi, Elsie Fisher and Matthew Alan.
https://deadline.com/2019/04/castle-...nd-1202592345/
Old 06-27-19, 02:41 PM

Deadwood alum Robin Weigert, Sarah Gadon (Alias Grace, True Detective), Alison Wright (The Americans) and Greg Grunberg (Heroes, Alias) are set as guest stars for the second season of Hulu’s Castle Rock, the psychological horror series from J.J. Abrams and Stephen King.

In Season 2 of Castle Rock, a feud between warring clans comes to a boil when budding psychopath Annie Wilkes (Lizzy Caplan), Stephen King’s nurse from hell, gets waylaid in Castle Rock. Season 2 cast also include Paul Sparks, Yusra Warsama, Barkhad Abdi, Elsie Fisher and Matthew Alan.

Weigert will play Crysilda Wilkes, Annie’s mother. Gadon is Rita Green, a vengeful woman from Annie’s past. Wright will portray Valerie, a kind-hearted local who explores the town’s evil history. Grunberg is Sheriff Boucher, a local official, who faces off against a brewing, dark force in Castle Rock.

Sam Shaw & Dustin Thomason developed the project for television and serve as executive producers along with J.J. Abrams, Ben Stephenson, Dustin Thomason, Vince Calandra, Sam Shaw, Stephen King and Liz Glotzer. Castle Rock hails from Bad Robot Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Weigert played the role of Calamity Jane in Deadwood the series and reprised her role in Deadwood: The Movie. She can currently be seen in the role of Dr. Amanda Reisman on HBO’s Big Little Lies.

Gadon most recently played Elisa Montgomery in HBO’s True Detective and will next be seen with Eli Harboe in feature The Northwoods from writer-director Emma Higgins.

Wright, known for her role as FBI secretary Martha Hanson on FX’s The Americans, recently recurred on Sneaky Pete. She’ll next be seen as a series regular on dystopian thriller series Snowpiercer on TNT.

Grunberg is best known for his roles as Matt Parkman in NBC’s Heroes and Snap Wexley in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. He’ll next be seen reprising his Snap Wexley role in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/castle-...-2-1202638412/
Old 06-27-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Those are some great TV actors they hired there.
Old 08-29-19, 11:32 AM

re: Castle Rock (Hulu) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 10/23/19

Old 09-13-19, 11:39 AM

Re: Castle Rock (Hulu) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 10/23/19

<iframe width="654" height="368" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w8v19bLSQYI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-13-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks good. Casting looks as good as I had hoped. I think Lizzy is such a talented actress.
Somehow I had missed that Tim Robbins was in this as well. Obviously continuing their trend of bringing back noted Stephen King adaption actors.
Old 09-30-19, 12:21 PM

<iframe width="700" height="394" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9bytPaQ5I8U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-30-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know. Castle Rock is supposed to be a stand-alone affair set in a Stephen King universe and this feels like Better Call Annie Wilkes.
Old 09-30-19, 06:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't been overly impressed with Season 1. This doesn't look all that much better to me. It seems like they just got licensing for Stephen King's stuff and didn't think about what they wanted to do with it. I wasn't happy wth their use of Sheriff Pangborn. Probably won't be with Annie Wilkes, either.
Old 10-24-19, 08:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watched the first episode of the second season. This is more in line with what I thought we were getting with season 1, which was a mishmash of King characters. Lizzy Caplan is a pretty good Annie Wilkes (Misery). Nice to see Ace Merrill (Stand By Me) as well. Plus, Salem's Lot enters the storyline and mentions of witches being buried under the town with a feud brewing between the two towns. A pretty decent first episode, although it's going to be hard to get anything out of this series if they keep ditching the cast every season, yet is still supposed to be in the same town. That ending, though... good start to this season.

Last edited by MysterioMan007; 10-24-19 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finished the first 3. Really liking Lizzy Caplan. Already doing a good job of messing with our heads.
Old 10-25-19, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

This series seems like a potential legal nightmare, drawing from a bunch of different Stephen King works.

Just thinking of the legal wrangling involved over Silence of the Lambs, where they almost had to rename Hannibal Lecter and other characters who appeared in the Red Dragon film, and also kept the producers of the Hannibal tv series from using Clarice Starling.

Seems like they're pulling characters and places from about a dozen different Stephen King films spread across various studios and production companies.
Old 10-28-19, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 View Post
Watched the first episode of the second season. This is more in line with what I thought we were getting with season 1, which was a mishmash of King characters. Lizzy Caplan is a pretty good Annie Wilkes (Misery). Nice to see Ace Merrill (Stand By Me) as well. Plus, Salem's Lot enters the storyline and mentions of witches being buried under the town with a feud brewing between the two towns. A pretty decent first episode, although it's going to be hard to get anything out of this series if they keep ditching the cast every season, yet is still supposed to be in the same town. That ending, though... good start to this season.
Yeah, I thought it was a strong opening episode. Caplan is great of course. Lots that isn’t explained yet, which I like.
Strange that for the second straight season they have a professional adult child who is African American raised by white parents. How many families like that live in Castle Rock? Any way, will look to watch more this week.
Old 10-28-19, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
This series seems like a potential legal nightmare, drawing from a bunch of different Stephen King works.

Just thinking of the legal wrangling involved over Silence of the Lambs, where they almost had to rename Hannibal Lecter and other characters who appeared in the Red Dragon film, and also kept the producers of the Hannibal tv series from using Clarice Starling.

Seems like they're pulling characters and places from about a dozen different Stephen King films spread across various studios and production companies.
No legal issues apparently. King is EP and I guess he has the rights. This isn’t the MCU after all. I think every named King character who has appeared in Castle Rock so far was in a Castle Rock movie (Needful Things, Misery, Stand By Me), so that’s probably all under the same rights deal. (“Jackie Torrance” doesn’t count)
Old 11-23-19, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Anyone else keeping up with this? This season has been great! Not only is it a major improvement over season 1, but the most recent episode finally tied back into season 1 in a major way, and actually resolved the way the finale was open to 2 interpretations.
Spoiler:
That being the question of whether Bill Skarsgard was really an alternate reality version of Henry Deaver, or whether he’s a creature of evil posing as alt-Deaver. This is pretty conclusively answered by showing that he’s over 400 years old, and about to enact a plan he made 4 centuries ago. I guess he’s a vampire, although this isn’t explicitly spelled out so far.
Old 11-23-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m about four episodes in. Wasn’t doing much for me besides Caplain’s performance. Not digging the refugee angle and thought that Annie’s relationship with her daughter was way too similar to that in the last original Hulu show I watched - The Act.
But if you say it gets better I will stick with it. Will watch another episode today.
Old 11-24-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Oh yes, if you’re 4 episodes in, absolutely give it one more. If episode 5 doesn’t do it for you then maybe give it up, because that whole episode is just incredible.
Old 12-21-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed the first season, but I think it got a little to deep for its own good.

This season, however, was great. Helped make Season 1 make a tad more sense and I just found the overall story more engaging.

Caplan was great, and I enjoyed Robbins having fun with the role. Lots of great references to Kings work, while being its own thing.

Really loved how it wrapped up.

Ending spoiler:
Spoiler:
Glad, that they kept Joy dead and in Annie's mind at the end. Would have been cool if they had gotten Scott Caan to be the author at the end

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.