DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Oakland Raiders (HBO) -- premieres 8/6/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/648007-hard-knocks-training-camp-oakland-raiders-hbo-premieres-8-6-19-a.html)

dex14 06-27-19 08:39 AM

Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Oakland Raiders (HBO) -- premieres 8/6/19

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e03551bafb.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;Everybody wants to be a Raider. Now they’ll find out what it takes to become one.&quot;<br><br>We'll see you in August: <a href="https://t.co/dZ1LvS7gRv">https://t.co/dZ1LvS7gRv</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RaiderNation?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RaiderNation</a> <a href="https://t.co/rTz6AnrCbl">pic.twitter.com/rTz6AnrCbl</a></p>&mdash; Oakland Raiders (@Raiders) <a href="https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/1138578974093615105?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just film, baby.

The Oakland Raiders will be featured on this year's edition of "Hard Knocks," HBO's critically acclaimed series documenting the drama and competition of an NFL training camp.

Oakland was one of five teams eligible to be compelled to participate in the program (Detroit Lions, San Francisco 49ers, New York Giants, Washington Redskins). This will be the franchise's first appearance on the show and one that is likely to be highly anticipated when it debuts Tuesday, Aug. 6.

Entering the second season of the second Jon Gruden era, the Raiders boast a number of notable characters, not least of whom is the camera-friendly coach. Gruden, in his 13th year as a head coach, is one of the most quotable and entertaining coaches to ever by mic'd up by NFL Films and has extensive on-camera experience; he worked as ESPN's Monday Night Football color commentator for eight seasons.

The Raiders are welcoming a lot of new faces to the organization, including receivers Antonio Brown and Tyrell Williams, linebackers Vontaze Burfict and Brandon Marshall, guard Richie Incognito, tackle Trent Brown, No. 4 overall pick Clelin Ferrell and No. 24 overall selection Josh Jacobs, all of whom will be experiencing their first Raiders training camp and their first with Gruden.

All told, the Raiders spent the third-most amount of money in the league this offseason acquiring new talent, according to Spotrac ($296.7 million). The man who spent all that money is also a new face: first-year general manager and former NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock

Among the notable returning faces to Oakland is three-time Pro Bowl quarterback Derek Carr.

The show will also document what is likely the last training camp in Oakland. The Raiders are scheduled to move to Las Vegas for the 2020 season, but have not detailed their plans for training camp ahead of the inaugural campaign. They are reported to be eyeing Reno, Nevada, as a potential training camp locale.

Oakland is the first AFC West team to be featured on "Hard Knocks" since Herman Edwards' Kansas City Chiefs took center stage in 2007, the series' first year back after a five-season hiatus.
Oakland Raiders to be featured on HBO's 'Hard Knocks' - NFL.com

HBO Sports, NFL Films and the Oakland Raiders team up for an unfiltered all-access look at what it takes to make it in the National Football League when Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Oakland Raiders kicks off its five-episode season this summer. The 14th edition of the 18-time Sports Emmy Award-winning series debuts Tuesday, August 6 (10 PM ET/PT). The following hour-long episodes of the reality series debut subsequent Tuesdays at the same time, with encore plays Wednesday nights, culminating in the September 3 season finale. Hard Knocks will be narrated by Liev Schreiber

“If you’re a fan of football or great storytelling, Hard Knocks with the Oakland Raiders is going to be must-see television,” says Peter Nelson, executive vice president, HBO Sports. “We are so grateful to this storied franchise for opening up its doors and allowing HBO and NFL Films to spend the summer with the Raiders in what promises to be a compelling and engaging training camp.”

Camera crews will head to the Bay area in the next few weeks to begin filming, with the action heating up in August when the cinema verité show focuses on the daily lives and routines of players and coaches. Hard Knocks will chronicle head coach Jon Gruden as he leads an intriguing mix of established veterans, free-agent additions and highly regarded rookie hopefuls throughout training camp and the preseason. Each week, viewers will get an inside look as players experience the daily rigors of an NFL training camp. Cameras will document hours of conditioning practices and meetings, while chronicling players as they compete for a roster spot and bond off the field.

“Since the AFL-NFL merger, the Raiders have been a part of some of the most iconic moments in League history,” says NFL Films senior executive Ross Ketover. “We at NFL Films have been thrilled and honored to showcase the mythology of the Raiders from the Holy Roller, Sea of Hands, Ghost to the Post all the way to today with Coach Gruden and this unbelievable cast of players and coaches. Needless to say, we’re very much looking forward to this season of Hard Knocks.”

A 30-person NFL Films crew will be in Raiders’ training camp in Napa Valley, shooting more than 1,750 hours of footage over the course of the series. Camera and sound crews will have unencumbered access to players’ and coaches’ meeting rooms, training rooms, living quarters and practice fields.

“Everybody wants to be a Raider,” says Raiders owner Mark Davis. “Now they’ll find out what it takes to become one.”
https://www.hbo.com/content/hboweb/e...ks-season.html

This was announced two weeks ago, but the All or Nothing thread reminded me.

lwhy? 06-27-19 11:56 AM

Re: Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Oakland Raiders (HBO) -- premieres 8/6/19

I thought they would wait until the Raiders move to Vegas, but this could be entertaining. I usually watch the first two episodes, but never finish it. I'm going to try to watch all of it this year.

Rob V 06-27-19 12:07 PM

Re: Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Oakland Raiders (HBO) -- premieres 8/6/19

I'll watch, I always do. The Raiders don't really appeal to me after Gruden and yeah, they should have waited until Vegas. I really hope HBO focuses more on players that aren't destined to be cut and NEVER heard from again.

bralph 06-27-19 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13570629)
I really hope HBO focuses more on players that aren't destined to be cut and NEVER heard from again.

May as well hope that The Bachelor ends with a happily ever after, or that Walking Dead brings back Frank Darabront.

DJariya 06-27-19 12:16 PM

I watched the first 2-3 episodes of the Browns season last year, but didn't finish it. I just wasn't invested enough in it. And then low and behold the Browns had an amazing 2nd half of the regular season and become a "good" team.

I do think this Raiders season has some interesting storylines, especially with the them coming off a "Tank" season. And then they're coming into camp with 4 1st round picks.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-27-19 07:06 PM

It seemed they focus more on the rookies than the star players lately.

I am excited a local team will be getting national coverage and the only time the nation will care about them before they begin the quest for the #1 pick in 2020 draft.

No way they are going to make the playoffs with 5 straight road games (A home game is in London) in Oct and a bye week mixed with no home games in Oakland.

mphtrilogy 06-28-19 07:25 AM

this should be a good one...

dex14 08-06-19 05:15 AM

Premieres tonight.

Deftones 08-06-19 10:19 AM

Hopefully this will be one of the better seasons. Enough personalities on the team to make it that way.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-06-19 06:29 PM

Usually I save them for Wednesdays but I might watch them on Tuesdays now.

The cinematography and outside shots of the city will probably not be that thrilling since I live in the Area and nothing new to see.

MrX 08-07-19 08:51 AM

They seemed to gloss over things like Incognito's past and why he was suspended for 2 games and the report that Brown's foot issues are because he didn't cover his feet properly in cryotherapy.

Derek Carr is incredibly boring so I hope they don't spend too much time on him.

HBO can't be thrilled the cut the guy from "Last Chance U" before the episode was over.

Bill Needle 08-07-19 11:08 AM

I guess we'll know next week if this is going to be a serious show or just a Raiders puff piece.

Rob V 08-07-19 11:57 AM

Can't wait to watch Oakland's 3rd and 4th stringers get cut in a few weeks. Do they even show the 1st round picks?

Bluelitespecial 08-07-19 03:37 PM

The first full episode is on the Raiders YouTube Channel.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-07-19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13590440)
Can't wait to watch Oakland's 3rd and 4th stringers get cut in a few weeks. Do they even show the 1st round picks?

Yes they showed Clelin Ferrell riding a horse in Napa with Lil Nas Old Country Road playing.:lol:

This show is probably the final farewell gift to Oakland :(

They are not going to make the playoffs with that schedule.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-07-19 06:10 PM

Derek Carr is incredibly boring so I hope they don't spend too much time on him.
Spend more time on his wifes rack

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fefac5dc72.jpg

GoldenJCJ 08-07-19 08:22 PM

As a lifelong “Raider Hater” a couple of thoughts:

1. Derek Carr actually seems like a decent dude with a good head on his shoulders.

2. That rookie, Abrams, or whatever his name is is annoying as shit! Really? You’re going to argue with the head coach when he tells you not to hit your fellow teammates when you’re practicing without pads?!

blairwitchfan 08-07-19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13590706)
Yes they showed Clelin Ferrell riding a horse in Napa with Lil Nas Old Country Road playing.:lol:

This show is probably the final farewell gift to Oakland :(

They are not going to make the playoffs with that schedule.

Abram was a first round pick (they had 3) and he had a ton of screen time

JeffTheAlpaca 08-08-19 02:15 AM

It sounds wrong but Carr is the only guy I can understand when he talks.

He is a good guy and I hope he can replicate his success in 2016 but the O line still is a mess and Brown's talents are going to wasted when he never sees the ball come his way.

mphtrilogy 08-08-19 05:44 AM

pretty good first ep, I think a lot of what Gruden is saying has to be sarcastic the way the players are talking back, I did enjoy this ep though...

Shannon Nutt 08-08-19 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13590772)
2. That rookie, Abrams, or whatever his name is is annoying as shit! Really? You’re going to argue with the head coach when he tells you not to hit your fellow teammates when you’re practicing without pads?!

Gruden needs to be a coach and not a "pal" to the other players. If I were coach of an NFL team and a rookie came up to me and said "You can't cut me," he'd be running laps for the rest of the day, regardless of how much he signed for. I also noticed some disrespect of Gruden when Burfict and some of the other veterans were talking to him.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-08-19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13590412)
I guess we'll know next week if this is going to be a serious show or just a Raiders puff piece.

Gruden will try to find more Madden 7 man sled footage so you don''t see any film in the coaches meetings.

kantonburg 08-09-19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13570638)
I watched the first 2-3 episodes of the Browns season last year, but didn't finish it. I just wasn't invested enough in it. And then low and behold the Browns had an amazing 2nd half of the regular season and become a "good" team.

I do think this Raiders season has some interesting storylines, especially with the them coming off a "Tank" season. And then they're coming into camp with 4 1st round picks.

The Browns would have been a better pick this year than last then the Raiders next year with the the move to LV.

DJariya 08-09-19 01:14 PM

I watched the premiere last night and "Chucky" was an entertaining watch, but other than that, nothing really big stood out.

I did :lol: at the idiot rookie offensive lineman from the Netflix show who got cut.

and they lightly talked about AB's foot problems. I am amazed though that AB isn't all tatted up like so many NFL players.

DJariya 08-09-19 04:16 PM

Antonio Brown threatening to retire over his fucking helmet should make the next episode of the show interesting.