DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Does a bad series finale ruin an otherwise great multi season show? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647992-does-bad-series-finale-ruin-otherwise-great-multi-season-show.html)

d2cheer 07-08-19 08:19 AM

Re: Does a bad series finale ruin an otherwise great multi season show?

There is zero reason to watch Lost again knowing that abortion of an ending.

DRG 07-08-19 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13570713)
WIth Dexter, I'd say to watch at least through season four, but you can keep watching as long as you're interested in it. When you start to lose interest, you can safely stop with the knowledge that it will not get better.

The problem with this, though, is that it's a bit like a lobster being boiled alive. It stays just interesting enough to give you hope it'll turn around, and by the time you realize how bad it's truly gotten it's too late.

Michael Corvin 07-10-19 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13575279)
There is zero reason to watch Lost again knowing that abortion of an ending.

:shrug: I watched the entire run a couple summers ago with my kids. It was as great as it ever was (and I railed on season 6 the entire way when it aired and it's still bad). You just have to look at it as "it's all about the journey and not the destination." The cast chemistry, stories, acting and production was and still is top notch.

printerati 07-11-19 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13574420)
Which "final season" of The X-Files are you referring to? I never watched season 9 or seen the original finale, but I did watch seasons 10 & 11. Those later seasons are rough, but have at least one gem of an episode: "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster".

Season 9 and the original finale. I haven't seen 10 or 11 yet (and I'm not sure I ever will), but the second film was a complete waste of time.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13574701)
The Constant is better than all of season 5 which helps elevate it for me.

:thumbsup:

stvn1974 07-11-19 03:34 PM

I originally was let down by the season 9 finale of The X-Files but never enough for it to ruin the series for me. The second movie to me is a great X-Files meets The Silence Of The Lambs mash up. I seem to be one of the few people who loved seasons ten and eleven. For me both seasons made me actually like seasons eight and nine a lot more since they were no longer the end of the series. Other than Skinner left lying under the tire of a car I am happy with how the series "finally" wrapped up.

PhantomStranger 07-12-19 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by stvn1974 (Post 13576965)
I originally was let down by the season 9 finale of The X-Files but never enough for it to ruin the series for me. The second movie to me is a great X-Files meets The Silence Of The Lambs mash up. I seem to be one of the few people who loved seasons ten and eleven. For me both seasons made me actually like seasons eight and nine a lot more since they were no longer the end of the series. Other than Skinner left lying under the tire of a car I am happy with how the series "finally" wrapped up.

I'll agree on the X-Files. Still one of my favorite shows, even if Carter and company gave us unsatisfying conclusions to many of the show's long-running arcs after season 7. But that show became more about the chemistry between Fox and Scully than purely solving alien conspiracies.

Jason 07-14-19 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde (Post 13569933)
For me, only Lost. That final season and especially the finale ruined my interest in the show completely and I'll never rewatch it. That's after having loved seasons 1-5.
But it was not because the last episode was bad, it was just a shitty ending to the show, and the amount of indifference shown by the writers to the plot and story was an insult.

I was thinking how great it will be to watch the show again a few years later and pick up on a bunch of subtle clues sprinkled throughout the show, only to find out that nothing meant anything at all. That said, if you only watch the first five seasons, the screen going white at the end of the season 5 finale is a great ending for the whole thing. Oh, and skip the episode about Jack's tattoo while you're at it.

PatD 07-14-19 10:31 PM

What about the finale to Quantum Leap? The show teased us for five seasons and stoked our hope that Sam would make it home...and then that final card at the end. The final episode itself was poetic and beautiful, but it added a sense of melancholy to an otherwise uplifting series.

Jay G. 07-15-19 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 13578306)
What about the finale to Quantum Leap?

Whether you think it was a good or bad finale, I don't think you could seriously argue it ruined the rest of the show.

jpcamb 07-15-19 09:57 AM

I gave up on Dexter well before the final season and only found out the ending by reading a spoiler here a month or so back. I don't generally think a bad series finale can destroy a show.*

I would love to see a fan edit of Battlestar where they pull out the flashback crap with Roslyn and her fling, as well as the Adam /Saul flashback stuff aside from that I loved the series but a lot of the stuff at the end felt like filler to me although i greatly enjoyed the series and most of the finale.

* the exception to this is Lost, I re-watched the series with my kids a couple of years ago and it was as good as I remember aside for a few crap filler episodes I remember being bad at the time. I am still nearly irate at the ending of the show especially when I recall vividly reading or seeing an interview where they specifically say they are not all dead and there is a valid explanation for everything that happens on the show.

Noonan 07-15-19 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13578462)
I gave up on Dexter well before the final season and only found out the ending by reading a spoiler here a month or so back. I don't generally think a bad series finale can destroy a show.*

I would love to see a fan edit of Battlestar where they pull out the flashback crap with Roslyn and her fling, as well as the Adam /Saul flashback stuff aside from that I loved the series but a lot of the stuff at the end felt like filler to me although i greatly enjoyed the series and most of the finale.

* the exception to this is Lost, I re-watched the series with my kids a couple of years ago and it was as good as I remember aside for a few crap filler episodes I remember being bad at the time. I am still nearly irate at the ending of the show especially when I recall vividly reading or seeing an interview where they specifically say they are not all dead and there is a valid explanation for everything that happens on the show.

That answer came after only the Pilot or couple first episodes aired; back when we were wondering where a Polar Bear came from. lol

greensmoke 08-27-19 08:44 PM

I wouldn't say it "ruined" the entire series, but 'The Sopranos' finale really pissed me off.

Shoulda been fined for that.

mikehunt 08-27-19 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13569871)
Series finales aren't generally the problem. TV series usually start going to shit when they enter the home stretch of their run... Dexter, Lost, Game of Thrones, etc.

HIMYM is a bit of an exception, where the big reveal at the end was more like a big FUCK YOU aimed at the audience. I mean, I can dig that they had that planned all along, but the series ran for so long that it just didn't work as a finale to the series. Maybe if it only ran for three or four or even five seasons it would have worked, but after nine fucking years of
Spoiler:
being repeatedly told that Ted and Robin just don't work, what's going to make them work now that Ted has gray hair?
not to mention that it was completely chickenshit to
Spoiler:
introduce the Mother, make her so cool and awesome, then fuck you, she's dead.

HIMYM is definitely my example of a bad ending ruining, or at least partially ruining a series

tanman 08-27-19 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix (Post 13570792)
In general, I agree with you. Seinfeld's finale stunk but that doesn't stop me from enjoying an episode every once in awhile. But for me, the finale of Lost ruined the entire series because the entire foundation of the show was this ever-growing mystery / mythology. The finale solidified what many feared: that the writers were pretty much winging it as they went along. It was a fun ride with some great characters, but I'll never sit through it again knowing that it all builds up to one giant whiff.

I came in here to say basically the same thing, except I think the end of season 5 is the better stopping point. While season 5 isn't nearly as strong as season 4, it's still enjoyable, and its final episode works better as a series finale than the final episode of season 4 does, which was more of a cliffhanger. If/when I ever do revisit Dexter, that's where I'll stop, and pretend the following seasons never happened.

This is it exactly. It depends on the show. If it is one long story arch set up with lots of mysteries **cough** LOST **cough** then the ending absolutely matters. It's like the bad ending of a movie. If it ended poorly you're going to think the whole movie is terrible.