TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix) - from David E. Kelley and Michael Connelly

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-19, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix) - from David E. Kelley and Michael Connelly

https://deadline.com/2019/06/the-lin...nt-1202637812/

In one of the first big sales of the 2019-20 broadcast development season, CBS has given a series production commitment to The Lincoln Lawyer, a legal drama from The Practice creator David E. Kelley based on Michael Connelly’s series of bestselling novels. The project hails from A+E Studios, which will co-produce with CBS TV Studios.

Written by Kelley, The Lincoln Lawyer centers on Mickey Haller, an iconoclastic idealist, who runs his law practice out of the back of his Lincoln Town Car, as he takes on cases big and small across the expansive city of Los Angeles.

Kelley will executive produce with Connelly and Ross Fineman.

The high-profile project, which marks Kelley’s return to broadcast and the legal drama genre, was taken out by A+E Studios just before the upfronts, with CBS quickly snapping it.

The Lincoln Lawyer stems from a previous spec script Kelley had written which A+E Studios acquired a year or so ago, setting it up at Epix. While that project did not move forward, Kelley indicated to A+E Studios brass that he was looking to return to broadcast with an eye toward legal drama, and The Lincoln Lawyer was a title he wanted to tackle.

A+E Studios’ team tracked down the books and jumped in immediately as its rights deal expired. Lionsgate TV had previously developed a TV series, which had been set up at ABC after its movie studio sibling produced the 2011 movie starring Matthew McConaughey as Michael “Mickey” Haller.

Kelley is coming off writing, executive producing and showrunning HBO’s hit Big Little Lies. He also created and executive produces Goliath on Amazon and Mr. Mercedes on Audience and the upcoming The Undoing on HBO.

Once a broadcast juggernaut with such hits as the Emmy-winning The Practice, Ally McBeal and Picket Fences, Kelley had stayed away from network TV since the 2013 CBS comedy The Crazy Ones starring Robin Williams.

This marks the latest legal drama for Kelley, who is a lawyer, following L.A. Law, The Practice and its spinoff Boston Legal, Ally McBeal and Goliath.
Old 06-25-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix) - from David E. Kelley and Michael Connelly

too bad it's not with Amazon so it could cross-over with Bosch
The following users liked this post:
FM (02-01-21)
Old 06-25-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

The high-profile project, which marks Kelley’s return to broadcast and the legal drama genre,
It's his return to Network TV, but he is currently working on Season 3 of another legal drama, Goliath. There is no "return" to be had.
Old 06-25-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I hope they get Matthew Mcconaughey for the show since it looks like we're not getting another movie with that character.
Old 06-25-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
It's his return to Network TV, but he is currently working on Season 3 of another legal drama, Goliath. There is no "return" to be had.
No, he actually quit Goliath after the 1st season. And that's a streaming series, not a broadcast series.
Old 06-25-19, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
No, he actually quit Goliath after the 1st season.

And that's a streaming series, not a broadcast series.
That's why I said it was his return to network TV.
Old 06-25-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

It's probably unlikely but yeah I agree they should try to get Matt McConaughey to reprise the character of Mick. And it's not like he's a big box office draw anymore. His last few films have been box office duds.

Doing TV is a stable paycheck and he can get some more credibility again, He did True Detective, so he can do TV. But again, it's unlikely and he might be too expensive. They will probably go with someone younger.
Old 06-25-19, 04:18 PM

I bet they make McConaughey an EP so they can include his name in the marketing. But no way he stars in a weekly Network TV series. Way different time commitment than a Limited Series on HBO.
Old 06-25-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

No, he actually quit Goliath after the 1st season. And that's a streaming series, not a broadcast series.
And S2 of Goliath was completely bizarre.
Old 06-25-19, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And S2 of Goliath was completely bizarre.
Indeed. I was stumped as to why it took such a strange turn in Season 2. Glad to hear it wasn't Kelley's fault.
Old 06-25-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
too bad it's not with Amazon so it could cross-over with Bosch
Bingo. This sucks.
Old 06-25-19, 05:04 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

CBS? Pass.
Old 06-25-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
CBS? Pass.

Typical DVD Talker Poster -- Sees thread, Oh cool. Popular book series/IP from well known author and TV producer. Clicks on thread.

Typical DVD Talker reads more: Blah....just another cookie cutter, predictable law procedural from the cookie cutter crime show network.

Types above comment.

Unsubscribes/Blocks thread.

Other cliched comment:

It has to be gritty dark and on cable or streaming to be any good. Network TV means it's going to dull, predictable and will automatically suck.
Old 06-25-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Typical DVD Talker Poster -- Sees thread, Oh cool. Popular book series/IP from well known author and TV producer. Clicks on thread.

Typical DVD Talker reads more: Blah....just another cookie cutter, predictable law procedural from the cookie cutter crime show network.

Types above comment.

Unsubscribes/Blocks thread.

Other cliched comment:

It has to be gritty dark and on cable or streaming to be any good. Network TV means it's going to dull, predictable and will automatically suck.
Have you read the books? Serious question.

I am not saying the show can't be good on broadcast TV, but the subject matter lends itself better to cable or a streaming service.
Old 06-25-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk God

No I have not read Connelly's books and I'm sure it would be more grittier and darker had it been sold to a cable channel or streaming service. I'm sure it would have great as a companion to Bosch on Amazon, but unfortunately it wasn't sold to them.

But really are a few F bombs and saying Dick or Cocksucker in the dialogue going to make any show better? Or seeing bloody stabbing and head shots? If Bosch didn't have F bombs in it's dialogue it could very well air on CBS or NBC as a weekly cop show. Bosch doesn't even have graphic sex/nudity.

I just think it's unfair to write something off being it was sold to a broadcast TV network vs. a cable TV network or streamer and assume it's going to stink because it's not serialized and will be a case of the week procedural. CBS has way more money to spend on this show than say an FX or Amazon and I think they will make a quality production.

But this is only in development. So it has a long way to go before it even airs (if it does)

Last edited by DJariya; 06-25-19 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-25-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk God

No I have not read Connelly's books and I'm sure it would be more grittier and darker had it been sold to a cable channel or streaming service. I'm it would have great as a companion to Bosch on Amazon, but unfortunately it wasn't sold to them.

But really are a few F bombs and saying Dick or Cocksucker in the dialogue going to make any show better? Or seeing bloody stabbing and head shots? If Bosch didn't have F bombs in it's dialogue it could very well air on CBS or NBC as a weekly cop show. Bosch doesn't even have graphic sex/nudity.

I just think it's unfair to write something off being it was sold to a broadcast TV network vs. a cable TV network or streamer and assume it's going to stink because it's not serialized and will be a case of the week procedural. CBS has way more money to spend on this show than say an FX or Amazon and I think they will make a quality production.

But this is only in development. So it has a long way to go before it even airs (if it does)
It has nothing to do with being gritty. It has everything to do with the books dealing (usually) with one case at a time. There's a lot of build up for each case. Doing it as a case of the week essentially defeats the purpose of having this based on the books, since that's not at all how they are. I don't want to watch a case of the week law show. That's exactly what this will become on CBS.
Old 06-25-19, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
It has nothing to do with being gritty. It has everything to do with the books dealing (usually) with one case at a time. There's a lot of build up for each case. Doing it as a case of the week essentially defeats the purpose of having this based on the books, since that's not at all how they are. I don't want to watch a case of the week law show. That's exactly what this will become on CBS.
Which is why on CBS, I have no interest. I'll check out shows on ABC, Fox, NBC (very) occasionally. But hour long shows on CBS no thanks. Even the ones on the other networks, I'll check out the pilot and maybe two more and just lose interest.
Old 06-25-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

For broadcast TV, it’s very difficult to produce a season long 22 episode serial. Those are very difficult to sell to other countries because you just can’t play a random episode on a random day.

CBS has done serials before like Hostages, Jericho and Harper’s Island, But all of those have failed.

But The Good Wife was a very successful character driven serial that lasted 7 seasons, but also integrated cases of the week into its stories and it worked.

The Lincoln Lawyer could format itself similar to that or even like Kelley’s other show The Practice, which mixed cases of the week and serial stories.
Old 06-25-19, 06:55 PM

Ah... Jericho... a great show squandered by being on CBS.
Old 06-25-19, 07:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Do we know when this would likely air? 2020, I imagine...
Old 06-25-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

It’s in development for 2019-2020.
Old 06-25-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Do we know when this would likely air? 2020, I imagine...
It's literally the 1st sentence of the article.
Old 06-25-19, 07:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Why would I know what a 2019-2020 development season means? They buy it now, write it obviously, find cast, shoot. Couldn’t that mean 2021? Maybe beyond. Don’t think that’s too hilarious...
Old 06-25-19, 08:55 PM

I'm with OB here. It certainly isn't going to be coming in 2019 right? It says it's the first deal of the 2019-2020 development season. It makes no mention of when the series is coming. The pilot could be shot in 2020 for an early 2021 mid-season premiere, maybe post-Super Bowl, couldn't it?
Old 06-25-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm with OB here. It certainly isn't going to be coming in 2019 right? It says it's the first deal of the 2019-2020 season. It makes no mention of when the series is coming. The pilot could be shot in 2020 for a 2021 mid-season premiere, couldn't it?
No way it's airing in 2019. Most likely the Pilot will be written, cast and filmed sometime in early 2020 for consideration for next season. Most Pilots are filmed around March or April.

The development season means they commission writers and producers to pitch new ideas for consideration for the following season. Some showrunners actually quit shows they are running to work on a project in a development season. But, there's no guarantee it even gets picked up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.