DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Yellowstone (Paramount) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/19/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647948-yellowstone-paramount-season-2-thread-premieres-6-19-19-a.html)

dex14 06-19-19 06:42 AM

Yellowstone (Paramount) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/19/19

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...73b6e4eb06.jpg

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dYHeU5Q7eBE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paramount Network today announced that season two of hit series Yellowstone will premiere on Wednesday, June 19 at 10 p.m., ET/PT. The first season averaged 5.1 million total viewers per episode, making it 2018's most-watched new cable series and ranking second across all cable TV series for the year. Starring world-renowned actor and Oscar(R)-winner Kevin Costner, Yellowstone is co-created by critically-acclaimed, Oscar(R)-nominated screenwriter Taylor Sheridan (Wind River, Hell or High Water and Sicario), and John Linson. The impressive cast list for Yellowstone also includes Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley, Cole Hauser, Kelsey Asbille, Brecken Merrill, Jefferson White and Gil Birmingham. Yellowstone returns to the air after its hit first season, in which it was 2018's most watched new cable series and the most-watched watched drama series premiere on ad-supported cable television since 2016's The People vs OJ Simpson. Over the course of the season, the show averaged 5.1 million total viewers (P2+), beating cable hits like American Horror Story (4.8M), Vikings (3.7M), The Alienist (3.5M), Better Call Saul (3.3M) and Westworld (2.7M), among others. During its nine-episode first season, Yellowstone garnered more than 20 million digital views. The show's fanbase grew throughout the season, with four of the last five episodes hitting series-high ratings in its demographic (P25-54) and season one's finale outperforming the premiere, with 5.4 million viewers (P2+) tuning in. Yellowstone, Paramount Network's epic scripted dramatic series, stars Costner as John Dutton, who controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States. Amid shifting alliances, unsolved murders, open wounds, and hard-earned respect - the ranch is in constant conflict with those it borders - an expanding town, an Indian reservation, and America's first national park.

johnnysd 06-19-19 10:36 AM

Re: Yellowstone (Paramount) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/19/19

Looking forward to this. Enjoyed the first season enough to watch the second.

dex14 06-19-19 01:08 PM

On the eve of Yellowstone’s second season premiere tonight, Paramount Network has ordered a 10-episode third season of its flagship drama starring Kevin Costner. Joining the show for a major recurring role in Season 3 is Lost and Colony alum Josh Holloway, Deadline can reveal exclusively.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/yellows...st-1202633866/

DJariya 06-19-19 01:37 PM

The ratings were really good for season 1, so not surprised Paramount is showing faith in it. They actually started filming season 2 almost a year ago, so they are probably prepping work for season 3 already.

I could see this being a 4-5 season show.

starseed1981 06-19-19 03:50 PM

This is the most enthralling and simultaneously boring show I've seen in awhile. Glad it's back.

johnnysd 06-19-19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13567432)
This is the most enthralling and simultaneously boring show I've seen in awhile. Glad it's back.

Lol that is the perfect description

Boondock Saint 06-19-19 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 (Post 13567432)

Haha, that's how I felt about Rectify.

PhantomStranger 06-20-19 10:24 PM

A great start to the season and really liking how the various plot threads are shaping up. Love the new cast additions, which is unusual for me since I normally loathe shows that introduce new supporting characters well after a show is established.

I did think the emergency surgery scene was gratuitous and over the top.

Shannon Nutt 06-21-19 06:33 AM

Wow, they really "retconed" this new season, didn't they? Suddenly, John Dutton doesn't have colon cancer any more...it was just a stomach ulcer. :lol: And Dan Jenkins, who was hanged last year is actually still alive. Double :lol:

I guess Costner told Sheridan, "If you want me back, I'm not doing chemo every other episode!"

johnnysd 06-21-19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13568106)
Wow, they really "retconed" this new season, didn't they? Suddenly, John Dutton doesn't have colon cancer any more...it was just a stomach ulcer. :lol: And Dan Jenkins, who was hanged last year is actually still alive. Double :lol:

I guess Costner told Sheridan, "If you want me back, I'm not doing chemo every other episode!"

I didnt think they retconned the entire cancer thing, just that this collapse was not related to the cancer spreading. Speaking only for myself the life of a "cowboy" seems singularly awful in almost every way.

PhantomStranger 06-21-19 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 13568335)
I didnt think they retconned the entire cancer thing, just that this collapse was not related to the cancer spreading. Speaking only for myself the life of a "cowboy" seems singularly awful in almost every way.

Who doesn't want to play Cowboy Poker?:lol:

Shannon Nutt 06-22-19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 13568335)

In the chopper, Kayce says to John, "Well, you don't have cancer." Then John replies, "Maybe I don't, but I've been living like it."

johnnysd 06-24-19 01:25 AM

I remember that but took it in terms of the ulcer but maybe you are right. Would be a really dumb retcon;.

DWilson 06-24-19 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13568603)
In the chopper, Kayce says to John, "Well, you don't have cancer." Then John replies, "Maybe I don't, but I've been living like it."

Yeahhhh... seemed like a retcon to me, but maybe they can make that clearer in the next episode. It's the first episode of the second season and usually a lot of changes are made now that they've had some feedback.

DJariya 06-26-19 01:24 AM

It’s not colon cancer John. It’s a ruptured stomach ulcer. rotfl

its a miracle :lol:

Entertaining, but a pretty ridiculous retcon.

johnnysd 06-27-19 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13569925)
It’s not colon cancer John. It’s a ruptured stomach ulcer. rotfl

its a miracle :lol:

Entertaining, but a pretty ridiculous retcon.

Yeah maybe Costner wanted to do just one season so they built in the cancer as an out if needed, but they threw some money at him so he's in for the long haul. Too much "cowboy" crap so far this season. Are we supposed to feel sorry for Rip? He's an asshole...Kayce's wife was bringing the hawt last night, the student she "dominated" is going to get cramps in his arms and hands over jacking to her, but this is a soap opera so maybe he gets to bang her for real.

DWilson 06-27-19 11:03 AM

It could also be that the producers, the network or Costner himself decided between seasons that cancer was going to be a "down" storyline for the character with a lot of grim hospital scenes (or at least perceived that way by the audience), and it would sell better if it was a stronger Costner fighting back against pretty much everybody.

I mean, imagine that very "Western" promotional photo at the top of the thread and instead it's Costner in a hospital gown.

barelypure 06-27-19 02:20 PM

I really like this show. I'm sure it'll be cancelled soon. That's how my luck goes.

DJariya 06-27-19 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by barelypure (Post 13570706)
I really like this show. I'm sure it'll be cancelled soon. That's how my luck goes.

Did you not read this thread? It was renewed for a 3rd season already.

PhantomStranger 06-30-19 04:56 PM

This is a vanity project now for Costner and Paramount wouldn't do anything to upset Costner or the show's primary creative force, Taylor Sheridan. This show will remain on the air as long as Costner wants it on the air. Sheridan is a hot name in Hollywood and studios are throwing themselves at him.

PhantomStranger 07-21-19 03:32 PM

Yellowstone is really hitting its stride and has become the best show on television or streaming. It's like a much grittier, more grounded version of Dallas at its peak. You can tell that Costner loves playing John Dutton.

Damien Darhk showing up was a surprise.

Shannon Nutt 08-02-19 06:26 AM

Did not see this week's turn of events coming. This is one of the best series on TV.

DWilson 08-02-19 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13587665)
Did not see this week's turn of events coming. This is one of the best series on TV.

Spoiler:
Though I thought the actual strangulation was lightly staged (probably to protect the actress) and I almost expected her to "pop up" as he was doing it or just after.
I, too, wasn't expecting it to go that far.
I'm really enjoying the show, more so than the first season.

PhantomStranger 08-03-19 09:21 PM

I wasn't super-happy with the aforementioned plot development. It just seemed wildly out of character for the person.

Nefarious 08-04-19 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13588377)
I wasn't super-happy with the aforementioned plot development. It just seemed wildly out of character for the person.

That’s why I thought it worked. It was out of character and he sold it as having been out of character. He snapped because he felt trapped. He immediately recognized the gravity and is now almost comatose.