Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?
Yes (please specify...)
60.00%
No (term just came about)
40.00%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Is there one show that is credited as the first “binge” watching show?

Seinfeld for me.
Old 06-17-19, 04:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

24 for me. I couldn't stand waiting week to week during season 1 so I bought the DVDs for subsequent seasons and binge-watched each whole season.
Old 06-17-19, 04:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I prefer serialized but can watch either. Binge watching needs to be serialized, though.
This appears to be the first reference on this forum to "binge watching". 2/8/2012.
Old 06-17-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts

For me, it was South Park. Somewhere around the 5th-6th seasons a couple of my work friends came over and we watched several episodes all day long. I had them recorded on VHS as they aired.
Granted we didn't watch every episode or in order. But we probably watched for around 11-12 hours.

A few years later we did it again, but now I had several seasons on DVD too.

I should add Lost. Starting with either Season 2-3, I rewatched the series before (or shortly after) the new season started airing. Back then I used to work 3, off 4. 7 out of 8 weeks.
Old 06-17-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This appears to be the first reference on this forum to "binge watching". 2/8/2012.
Here's the first reference to "binge watch", 4/19/2011:
Originally Posted by davidh777
That's what I like about the idea of a Chuck Challenge. It doesn't fit easily into any other challenge except TV, and I really have been meaning to binge-watch to get caught up.
There's earlier references to people "binging" shows though. From 2007:
Originally Posted by rexinnih
Been on a Prison Break binge lately. Not a bad show.
2006:
Originally Posted by grunter
The thing for me is I'M STILL INTRIGUED by "Twin Peaks" mysteries nearly 16 years later. I hear the Julie Cruise theme song, I see the Log Lady, and I want to sit back down and binge on 5 straight episodes.
2004:
Originally Posted by Quake1028
I have recently been on a tv on dvd binge, finishing Simpsons Season 3, Family Guy Season 3 and Reno 911! Season 1 in the last few weeks.
It's probably not surprising that DVDTalk posters were binging shows long before the act, or the term, became mainstream.
Old 06-17-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Rats, Groucho got me excited that I was a pioneer.

I think of 24 as the original binge-watch. I didn’t watch the broadcast because I figured I’d somehow miss an episode and get lost. I did watch it on DVD.
Old 06-17-19, 09:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ist thing I thought of when I read this title was "The Sopranos" as well. I feel like that's when the whole "binge watching" thing became a "thing" and also when I first started hearing the term.
But that was a weekly, per year, many years show. No way to binge watch back then. So how could it be?
Old 06-17-19, 09:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I think Breaking Bad got big boosts due to people binging it on Netflix. But yeah, Law & Order marathons certainly seemed to be a thing going back to the 1930s or whenever that show started.
I was thinking BB too. I think the meaning in my title is there has to be a particular show that started the trend and had to be from a streaming service. Binge watching stuff on your own (whether digital or physical) which we all do and love, is not what I mean. I just think there has to be one that started it all. HoC or BB, I seriously think.
Old 06-17-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
But [Sopranos] was a weekly, per year, many years show. No way to binge watch back then. So how could it be?
DVD season box sets. People binged as each season came out on TV (such as people do per-season binging on Netflix as it releases new seasons of a show), or waited until the show ended and watched all the seasons at once (as people might do for some Netflix shows).

I think the meaning in my title is there has to be a particular show that started the trend and had to be from a streaming service. Binge watching stuff on your own (whether digital or physical) which we all do and love, is not what I mean. I just think there has to be one that started it all.
Lillyhammer was the first show that Netflix released all the new (to the US) episodes of a season at once, back in 2012. House of Cards was next, in 2013, with Netflix's all-at-once release of a season was the first time any of those episodes had been seen anywhere in the world. Shortly after its release (the next month), the term "binge watch(ing)" took off in popularity. So if you're talking about new episodes, and the show that popularized the term, it's House of Cards.

Of course, binge watching on Netflix was possible before even Lillyhammer, as they had complete runs of many shows that people could binge, if they wanted. People didn't even necessarily have to binge House of Cards, just because all the episodes came out at once. But old shows didn't have viewers feeling like they had to either "catch up" or "keep up," and it was only with House of Cards where, since other people were binging it, people felt a pull to watch it as fast as possible so as to be involved in the conversation and avoid "spoilers." The fact that it was heavily serialized with cliffhangers and lead to people to want to watch "just one more" after each episode helped make binging the most common viewing method. LOST had the same serialized pull, but its weekly release schedule meant that it was relatively easy for anyone to keep up, and most people were watching the episodes once a a week and staying current, so not much binging occurred as it aired (even though people could record to their DVR and binge the episodes after they all aired).
Old 06-18-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Lillyhammer and HOC were certainly the first 2 'new' shows that I binged watched.

But I remember spending full Labor Days or Memorial Days years ago watching L&O marathons on TNT.

I didn't start watching Breaking Bad on AMC until the 4th season I think. I binged the first 2-3 seasons on DVD (didn't have Netflix at that point).
Old 06-18-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't really call it binging but when Comcast started their On Demand service there would be blocks of episodes for some of the series' I watched regularly. With On Demand I didn't have to watch them weekly but waited a bit until 3 or 4 episodes were available. I remember that CBS was basically one of the first stations that was offered on On Demand and they allowed you to fast forward the commercials. This was before Comcast had their DVR service.
Old 06-18-19, 11:12 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

TV on DVD definitely encouraged binge watching. I had finally got around to watching the Shield some 10 years back, and got all of the seasons from the library on DVD and burned through them. What was fascinating was that the show flowed so well over the course of the 6 years. I can't imagine how people could watch the show in real time and have to wait a week between in season episodes and a close to a year for the next season, especially with the cliffhangers.
Old 06-18-19, 01:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, when they first came available, I bought all the seasons of Start Trek:TNG and my wife and I watched from beginning to end, two or three episodes a night. Not sure if it counts as "binge" watching, but it sure was fun fast-forwarding through the years.
Old 06-18-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

But that was a weekly, per year, many years show. No way to binge watch back then. So how could it be?

Originally Posted by Jay G.
DVD season box sets. People binged as each season came out on TV (such as people do per-season binging on Netflix as it releases new seasons of a show), or waited until the show ended and watched all the seasons at once (as people might do for some Netflix shows)..

Yes, Thanks.
Old 06-18-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

24 Season 1 on DVD was my first “binge”. The ability to consume a full season or series on DVD was pretty exciting back in the early 00’s.
Old 06-18-19, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

I agree that TV on DVD is what got it really rolling.

Probably 24 for me also.
Old 06-18-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Bought a DVD player, borrowed the first couple season of Sopranos on DVD, and made acquaintance with binge-watching.
Old 06-19-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If we really want to get technical (and as a few posters have already pointed out), TV stations used to do marathons of shows long before DVD came out. Of course, we didn't call it binge watching back then...just "marathon viewing."
Old 06-20-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If we really want to get technical (and as a few posters have already pointed out), TV stations used to do marathons of shows long before DVD came out. Of course, we didn't call it binge watching back then...just "marathon viewing."
This is true. Local stations would sometimes show every Honeymooners episode or an entire weekend of Abbot and Costello movies. The first show I personally binged was Breaking Bad. I thought it was a sequel to Breaking Away and about bicycles, the first shot in the shot disavowed me of that, and I watched every second of the first 4 seasons over the next couple days.
Old 06-20-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yeah, the syndication TV series are the earliest contenders. Like Twilight Zone on SciFi channel and whatnot. And of course, if any cable network got the rights to multiple movies in a franchise and played them in a row, that was certainly binge worthy.

Heck, I remember some network used to play Interview with a Vampire over and over and on lazy weekends my wife and I would just leave it on in the background for 3-4 viewings worth.

In the late 90s when The Simpsons had several seasons worth to syndicate, I know some networks would play multiple eps in a row.
Old 06-20-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

All-day marathons started showing up on cable in the 1990s. It's how I first got into First Wave, one of my favorite sci-fi series ever on what we now call SyFy.
Old 06-21-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
The term "binge-watching" may not have been used until the last few years, but I'd say the process began with the release of DVD season sets. With VHS, it was too cumbersome and expensive to release entire series, but DVD made it easier and much more shows started coming out that way.
Well, Twin Peaks came out on VHS (season 1, season 2) and I 'binge watched' the entire series in one sitting with friends when I was in college... so, 1993 or 1994. And, as others have said, cable networks started running all-day marathons in the 90s, too. But that's the thing: they were called "marathons" back then. As I remember it, "binge watching" didn't enter pop culture as a specific thing or term until House of Cards.
Old 06-21-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The X-Files when it started airing on FX is when I first noticed large blocks of episodes showing back to back to back five days a week. I had originally taped all of the episodes on VHS when they originally aired but I made copies of the FX versions too as back ups. If I remember correctly they started airing the reruns on FX around the time season Seven started. It was one of the reasons that pissed Duchovney off and helped with his departure. They weren't getting paid for the shows to air because FX was owned by FOX.
Old 06-21-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Easy answer and I'm glad I'm not the first to mention it. A friend had been talking it up so I blind bought it on DVD. A week or so later I was buying season 2 and even starting over on season 1 so my wife could watch(I binged when she was at work). That caught me up so I could watch season 3 "live in 2003. That's the first time I recall ever watching 4-5 episdoes at a time of a single show.

After I finished with my season 1 set I lent it out to 3-4 other friends over the next few months. Every single one of them returned the set within a week or two having also binged the whole thing.

Old 06-21-19, 05:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

24 S1 I think

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.