DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dune: Prophecy -- prequel series coming to HBO Max (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647884-dune-prophecy-prequel-series-coming-hbo-max.html)

dex14 06-10-19 05:08 PM

Dune: Prophecy -- prequel series coming to HBO Max

WarnerMedia's forthcoming streaming service is poised to explore the world of Dune.

The yet-unnamed platform has handed out a straight-to-series order for Dune: The Sisterhood, a female-focused take on Frank Herbert's beloved novel. Denis Villeneuve, who wrote, produced and directed next year's new take on Dune, will helm the pilot. Jon Spaihts will pen the script for the TV series, which hails from Legendary Television. Villeneuve and Spaihts will exec produce alongside Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J Anderson will co-produce. Spaihts co-wrote the screenplay alongside Villeneuve.

Production on the Dune feature, which hails from Legendary Entertainment and is being distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, began filming in March. The feature film's cast includes Timothee Chalamet as the lead character, Paul Atreides, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgard, Charlotte Rampling, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, Zendaya, Oscar Isaac and David Dastmalchian. It's scheduled to premiere Nov. 20, 2020.

Herbert's Dune novel examines a future in which humanity has spread across the galaxy to thousands of worlds, all ruled by the Padishah Emperor, The Imperium. Dune: The Sisterhood takes place in the same universe and explores the future through the eyes of a mysterious order of women: the Bene Gesserit. Given abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis — known to its inhabitants as Dune.

"The Bene Gesserit have always been fascinating to me. Focusing a series around that powerful order of women seemed not only relevant and inspiring but a dynamic setting for the television series,” Villeneuve said.

The TV series and feature film are the tip of the iceberg for Legendary's larger plan for Dune, which also includes video games, digital content packages and comic book series. Legendary CEO Joshua Grode told THR in April that the plan was to split Dune across two movies, though only the first one has been scheduled. To date, there have been more than 20 books in the Dune series, the first six of them written by Herbert. His son, Brian, and Kevin J. Anderson, continued the series.

Next year's Dune is the second time the franchise has been adapted for the big-screen. The first Dune, released in 1984, was written and directed by David Lynch and starred Kyle MacLachlan, Francesca Annis, Virginia Madsen, Sting and Patrick Stewart, among others. It was adapted as a three-part TV series in 2000 on Syfy, with William Hurt and from writers John Harrison and Herbert. In 2003, Greg Yaitanes (Lost) directed a three-part Syfy follow-up from Harrison and Herbert that starred James McAvoy.

WarnerMedia's streaming service is due to launch in beta in late 2019. The platform will feature a roster of scripted originals as well as content from WarnerMedia-owned platforms including HBO, TBS, TNT, CNN and more. Dune is the third series in the works for the subscription video on demand service, joining Paul Feig's comedic anthology Love Live, starring Anna Kendrick, and Ansel Egort-led drama Tokyo Vice. A Gremlins animated TV series is also in the works.

Both Dune and Gremlins take advantage of the library content that is controlled by WarnerMedia. The model is similar to what Disney+ and CBS All Access are doing with their respective platforms. Both of those feature new series based on studio-owned IP including Star Wars and Marvel (Disney+) and Star Trek and The Twilight Zone (All Access).
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li..._medium=social

melasnus 06-10-19 07:30 PM

re: Dune: Prophecy -- prequel series coming to HBO Max

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC....FINALLY!!!! :banana:

A series is the ONLY way to do justice to the dazzling universe Frank Herbert created in his 6 novels.

https://www.dunenovels.com/sites/def...bnail/Dune.jpg
https://www.dunenovels.com/sites/def...eMessiah_1.jpg
https://www.dunenovels.com/sites/def...drenOfDune.jpg
https://www.dunenovels.com/sites/def...erorOfDune.jpg
https://www.dunenovels.com/sites/def...ticsOfDune.jpg
https://www.dunenovels.com/sites/def...rhouseDune.jpg

I have been hoping for decades this might come about.
I'm guessing the success of Game of Thrones and other long-form, novel-inspired series helped prepare the way for someone to put up the guts and $$$ to make this happen.

joe_b 06-11-19 12:08 PM

Interesting. I assume it's a prequel, so they can at least explore some of the plotting and planning of the Bene Gesserit (like their breeding program and the Missionaria Protectiva). A series like this could help give a clearer context to the events of the film for folks who never read the books.

Herbert describes so many details of this universe through character's inner monologues, thus making it difficult to put across in a screenplay. The Lynch version tried to get around this with clumsy voice-overs, which never really worked for me.

Giantrobo 06-11-19 01:06 PM

Hmmm. Sounds interesting.

melasnus 06-11-19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 13563620)
The Lynch version tried to get around this with clumsy voice-overs, which never really worked for me.

This is really where a series can make a big difference.
In spite of its weakness in certain spots, I have a special place in my heart for Lynch's film.
Dune is so rich in texture, making a single movie out of the original novel is just too much for anyone to deal with (latest reports are DV is making a 2-parter).

windom 06-11-19 01:47 PM

Where are all the people complaining they don't want to pay for another streaming service?

Giantrobo 06-11-19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13563686)
Where are all the people complaining they don't want to pay for another streaming service?

Raises hand

Bandoman 06-11-19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13563687)
Raises hand

Me too. Another pay service? :gah:

Inhumans99 06-11-19 02:03 PM

Me three but I am hoping DC streaming gets folded into this service as I already pay for that one and a small upcharge for now getting 2 streamers in one package would be manageable.

milo bloom 06-11-19 04:38 PM

I'm excited for the series, but not another streaming service.

Suppose I'll watch it the same way I watch Discovery.

joe_b 06-11-19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13563666)
Dune is so rich in texture, making a single movie out of the original novel is just too much for anyone to deal with (latest reports are DV is making a 2-parter).

If they aren't filming them back-to-back, it seems the chances of finishing the novel will depend on box office. That has me feeling a bit apprehensive, but at least it has a decent chance of attracting the average moviegoer with the cast they've put together.

I believe a studio boss mentioned the book has a logical moment for them to end the first part of the story, yet still work as a standalone movie. I assume it's
Spoiler:
once Jessica takes the Water of Life, since the story does skip ahead a couple years at that point.
Still, that's a lot left unresolved. I'd hate for this property to be abandoned by the studio after one movie (Golden Compass, anyone?). Fingers crossed this will connect with audiences the way Game of Thrones did.

melasnus 06-12-19 01:28 AM

I don't know exactly where would be the right place to end the first half...
The Water of Life scene might be, but I need to think about that a bit.

milo bloom 06-12-19 04:54 PM

I have to image that the studio would do enough distribution pre-sells to make sure there's enough money for the second part, even if the first one doesn't do well. It may take a budget hit, but would likely still get made. The syndication money alone should pay for it.

Back on topic for Sisterhood - I actually just started reading Sisterhood of Dune, part of the Great Schools of Dune trilogy by Brian Herbert and KJA. It picks up about 80 years after the end of the war against the machines, and it shows the Bene Gesserit, Mentats and Swordmasters all starting up their organizations. It's likely they would also pull from this for the series.

Eric F 06-12-19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 13563697)
Me three but I am hoping DC streaming gets folded into this service as I already pay for that one and a small upcharge for now getting 2 streamers in one package would be manageable.

Yeah, this is all but guaranteed. As I mentioned before, I suspect DCU will become either an exclusively comic related service, or just comics and animated shows.

Either way I don't think any of the streaming services can compete with Disney and Netflix, but we shall see.

dex14 07-22-21 11:29 AM

The “Dune” television series prequel at HBO Max has found its new showrunner.

Variety has learned exclusively that Diane Ademu-John has boarded “Dune: The Sisterhood” in the role of writer, showrunner, and executive producer. Jon Spaihts had previously been attached to run the series, but he stepped down in November 2019 to focus on writing the script for the second of the “Dune” reboot films.

The show was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Set in the universe of Frank Herbert’s epic “Dune” novel series, “Dune: The Sisterhood” is told through the eyes of a mysterious order of women known as the Bene Gesserit. Given extraordinary abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis, known to its inhabitants as Dune. It will serve as a prequel to the films.

Ademu-John most recently worked as an executive producer and writer on the Netflix horror series “The Haunting of Bly Manor.” Prior to that, she worked on shows such as “Empire” at Fox, “The Originals” and “The Vampire Diaries” at The CW, and “Medium” and “Crossing Jordan” at NBC.

She is repped by Paradigm, Atlas Literary, and Jackoway Austen Tyerman.

Denis Villeneuve is still attached to direct the pilot for the series. Along with Spaihts, Villeneuve, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate will executive produce. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce. The series hails from Legendary Television, with Legendary also producing the upcoming film reboot.

The “Dune” series is one of several upcoming shows at HBO Max that are tied into new films. The streamer is also currently working on the “Peacemaker” series starring John Cena, reprising his role from the new “Suicide Squad” film, as well as a Gotham PD series that is tied into the events of “The Batman” starring Robert Pattinson.

The first new “Dune” film was supposed to hit theaters last year before its release was delayed due to the pandemic. It will now arrive in theaters on Oct. 22 in addition to being available on HBO Max. A full-length trailer dropped on Thursday.

Spaihts and Villeneuve also co-wrote the screenplay for the film along with Eric Roth. Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, and Dave Bautista are among those attached to star. The book had previously been adapted into a 1984 film written and directed by David Lynch.
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dun...hn-1235024854/

Giantrobo 07-22-21 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13563687)
Raises hand

But I did anyway. HBOMax is now my #1 Streaming Service. :up:

Eric F 07-22-21 10:05 PM

I guess I was wrong. HBO Max is shaping up nicely- all they really need now is more 4k content.

Josh-da-man 07-23-21 01:31 AM

I would hope that his is a positive sign that they plan on making Dune 2/The Second Half of Dune regardless of how Dune performs at the box office.

dex14 04-27-22 07:59 PM

The “Dune” prequel series at HBO Max has brought Johan Renck onboard to direct the first two episodes.

Renck will also serve as an executive producer on the show, currently titled “Dune: The Sisterhood.” It was ordered straight-to-series at HBO Max in June 2019. Previously, “Dune” director and co-writer Denis Villeneuve was attached to direct the pilot for “Dune: The Sisterhood,” but his work on the “Dune” sequel film will prevent him from doing so.

The show is set 10,000 years prior to the events of “Dune” and follows the Harkonnen Sisters as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

Renck won two Emmys for his work on the critically-acclaimed HBO limited series “Chernobyl” — one as an executive producer when the show won best limited series and another for best directing for a limited series, as he directed all five episodes. Renck is also known his work on shows like “Vikings,” “Bloodline,” “Breaking Bad,” “The Walking Dead,” and “Halt and Catch Fire.” He is an accomplished music video director to boot, including directing David Bowie in videos for “Blackstar” and “Lazarus.”

Renck is repped by CAA, Black Bear Pictures, Casarotto Ramsay, and attorney Warren Dern.

The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary Television, with Legendary producing the new “Dune” films. Variety exclusively reported that Diane Ademu-John will serve as writer, showrunner and executive producer in “Dune: The Sisterhood.” Along with Renck, Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Mark Friedman and Matthew King executive produce along with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, and Kim Herbert for the Frank Herbert estate. Kevin J. Anderson will co-produce.
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dun...or-1235242651/

milo bloom 04-27-22 10:32 PM

I’d kinda forgotten about this, glad to see it might actually be happening.

Bandoman 04-28-22 07:25 AM

I wonder if they'll stay consistent with the prequel novels written by Frank Herbert's son (although I assume the events of this series take place well after the Butlerian Jihad).

dex14 10-04-22 01:56 PM

Emily Watson (Chernobyl, God’s Creatures) and Shirley Henderson (Harry Potter, Stan & Ollie) will lead the cast of HBO Max’s Dune: The Sisterhood (wt), from Legendary Television.

The series, which is based on Frank Herbert’s classic novel, is set 10,000 years before the ascension of Paul Atreides and follows the Harkonnen Sisters, played by Watson and Henderson, as they combat forces that threaten the future of humankind, and establish the fabled sect known as the Bene Gesserit.

Watson and Henderson will portray Valya Harkonnen and Tula Harkonnen, respectively, the formidable Harkonnen Sisters, who have risen to power in the Sisterhood, a secret organization of women who will go on to become the Bene Gesserit.

Diane Ademu-John serves as creator, writer, co-showrunner and executive producer. Alison Schapker serves as co-showrunner and executive producer. Johan Renck will direct the premiere episode and executive produce. Denis Villeneuve, who directed, co-wrote and produced the 2021 Dune film, is executive producing with Jon Spaihts, Scott Z. Burns, Matthew King, John Cameron and Cait Collins, along with author Brian Herbert. Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serve as executive producers for the Frank Herbert estate. Author Kevin J. Anderson serves as co-producer.

The series is co-produced by HBO Max and Legendary Television, the TV arm of Legendary which is behind the current film franchise. Its first installment was released in October 2021 and earned Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay.
https://deadline.com/2022/10/dune-th...es-1235135004/

Josh-da-man 10-04-22 03:37 PM

Kind of surprised they're still moving forward with this after all of the cost-cutting and cancellations after the Discovery merger.

milo bloom 10-04-22 05:53 PM

I’ve been reading the Schools of Dune trilogy which is nearly two hundred years after the Jihad but still thousands of years before Paul and friends.
Valya and Tula are two major characters and if they use the existing story then they have some interesting stuff to cover.

dex14 10-13-22 12:42 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Game Of Thrones, Obi-Wan and Carnival Row actress Indira Varma is the third actor to join anticipated prequel series Dune: The Sisterhood (working title) from HBO Max and Legendary Television.

Varma will play Empress Natalya, described to us “a formidable royal who united thousands of worlds in her marriage to Emperor Corrino”. She joins the previously announced Emily Watson and Shirley Henderson.
https://deadline.com/2022/10/dune-th...ya-1235143681/