Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Nickelodeon) -- revival series -- premieres 10/11/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Nickelodeon) -- revival series -- premieres 10/11/19

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 09:15 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Nickelodeon’s reimagined version of iconic anthology series Are You Afraid of the Dark? is coming together. Sam Ashe Arnold (Best.Worst.Weekend.Ever.), Miya Cech (Rim of the World), Tamara Smart (Artemis Fowl, The Worst Witch), Jeremy Taylor (It, Goosebumps 2:Haunted Halloween), Lyliana Wray (Top Gun: Maverick, Black-ish), and Rafael Casal (Blindspotting) are set to star in the limited series slated for premiere in October.

Written by BenDavid Grabinski (Skiptrace) and directed by Dean Israelite (Power Rangers movie, Project Almanac), the three-episode hourlong limited series introduces an entirely new Midnight Society group of kids who tell a terrifying tale about the Carnival of Doom, only to have the events of the story come to life.

The new members of the Midnight Society are: Gavin (Arnold), Akiko (Cech, Louise (Smart), Graham (Taylor) and Rachel (Wray). The Carnival of Doom’s ringmaster, Mr. Tophat, is played by Casal.

Nickelodeon’s original Are You Afraid of the Dark? broke the mold by exploring a whole new genre of entertainment. A joint production of Canada-based Cinar and Nickelodeon and created by D.J. MacHale and Ned Kandel, the series aired on Nickelodeon from 1992 to 1996 and again from 1999-2000, as well as on YTV in Canada. One of the net’s signature series from the ‘90s, Are You Afraid of the Dark? delivered stories of horror to young audiences, all from a kid’s perspective.

When the Are You Afraid of the Dark? revival was first announced in February as part of Nickelodeon’s upcoming slate, the network said that “the miniseries will coincide with the upcoming Are You Afraid of the Dark? theatrical movie from Paramount Pictures, Paramount Players’ and Nickelodeon Movies, in theaters October 2019.”

That movie has since been moved out of its October 11 release date and is expected to debut later following some behind-the-scene changes.

The Are You Afraid of the Dark? limited series is produced by ACE Entertainment (To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before) with ACE founder Matt Kaplan and Spencer Berman serving as executive producers. Grabinski and Israelite also executive produce.

Taylor is repped by manager Tracy Taylor, Paradigm and attorney Geoffrey W. Oblath.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/are-you...st-1202629164/
Old 06-10-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Nickelodeon) -- revival series -- premieres 10/11/19

If this doesn't get the original a complete series set release(though admittedly lots of the acting in it is REALLY awful) then I don't know what will.
Old 06-10-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Nickelodeon) -- revival series -- premieres 10/11/19

Amazon released most of the seasons as burn on demand released but they didn’t finish. I think they got to season five and there were six total.
Old 06-10-19, 12:35 PM

They released 5 out of 7.
Old 06-10-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
They released 5 out of 7.
Or yeah. Looked at the listing wrong.
Old 08-06-19, 09:33 AM

<iframe width="740" height="416" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b9sQA6m0Sfo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-06-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the very little seen there it looks pretty cool to me.
Old 10-10-19, 12:12 PM

Join the club – if you DARE! Submitted for the approval of The Midnight Society, it’s the first full episode of the brand new Are You Afraid of the Dark? And don’t miss parts 2 & 3 on Nickelodeon - Friday nights in October at 7/6c!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SuFk-NHg7kA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nickelodeon is preparing for the return of The Midnight Society with the all-new Are You Afraid of the Dark? three-part limited series event. Based on the '90s kids' cult classic, and reimagined for a new generation, part one of Are You Afraid of the Dark? will debut on Friday, Oct. 11, at 7:00 p.m. (ET/PT), with parts two and three to follow Oct. 18, and Oct. 25, respectively. Across the three hour-long episodes, Are You Afraid of the Dark? will follow members of an entirely new Midnight Society, who tell a terrifying tale of the Carnival of Doom and its evil ringmaster Mr. Tophat, only to witness the shocking story come frightfully to life.
Old 10-11-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I guess the first part was alright. The script is a bit stale, but at least the teen actors are decent. Didn't realize the kid that played Ben in "It" was in this. He was also in the Goosebumps sequel last year.

Calling the town Argento, OR and name-dropping "The Changeling" are references that will probably be missed on this show's target age demo. As someone who grew up with the original series, I was holding out hope they'd give us some tie to the original Midnight Society cast members. It appears that's not happening, as the actor that played Gary (the group's leader) said he was never approached. The only possible nod that I noticed was they cast Laura Bertram as the mother in the "Carnival of Doom" story. She had previously starred in two episodes of the original series: The Tale of the Lonely Ghost and The Tale of the Mystical Mirror.

Not sure how I feel about the campfire stories leaking into the real world angle. Feels too similar to the Goosebumps movie, plus the spooky carnival stuff isn't very scary (unless they plan to throw in a Zeebo the Clown cameo). I always enjoyed the simplicity of a group of kids just telling horror stories around a campfire, but now they have to go all meta with it. I also liked that we never saw the kid's lives outside the campfire meetings in the original series (and that they went to different schools). It was something secret they had outside of normal school and family life. In this show, the kids are all classmates or neighbors already.
Old 10-12-19, 02:29 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts

Are You Afraid Of The Dark: Season 1 (2019) - $3.99

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-12-19, 06:02 AM

I liked it.
Old 10-12-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

The opening with the over-the-top mom was awful. I really thought they had dropped the ball, but the rest of the episode picked up.

I also hoped for more nods to the original, like a parent being an original member. I wonder if we'll see an appearance by Sardo? lol

Also, I just found out that one of the girls from the original show married Nick Swisher, haha!
Old 10-18-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Amazon released most of the seasons as burn on demand released but they didn’t finish. I think they got to season five and there were six total.
All five of the MOD seasons have become unavailable on Amazon in the last couple days. It makes zero sense to pull them now with the remake renewing interest in the old show, so hopefully this indicates a cheap complete series set with pressed discs is forthcoming. The fans (myself included) have certainly waited long enough for one.

Last edited by joe_b; 10-18-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-08-21, 12:39 PM

Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Nickelodeon) -- revival series -- premieres 10/11/19

Nickelodeon’s reboot of the 90s series “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” is getting a brand new season this year, with the premiere date and official trailer released this afternoon.

The second season of the series is titled “Are You Afraid of the Dark? Curse of the Shadows,” and the six-part limited series willpremiere on Friday, Feb. 12, at 8 p.m. (ET/PT)!

New episodes will be airing every Friday night, of course only on Nickelodeon.

Check out the trailer below, which previews the arrival of the Shadowman and carries some Nightmare on Elm Street vibes. With that kid-friendly approach that we love, of course!

“Curse of the Shadows follows an all-new Midnight Society group of kids who learn of the terrifying curse cast over their small seaside town, and are haunted by a mysterious creature known as the Shadowman.”

The new members of the Midnight Society are: Luke, played by Bryce Gheisar (The Astronauts, Wonder); Jai, played by Arjun Athalye; Hanna, played by Beatrice Kitsos (Child’s Play, iZombie); Gabby, played by Malia Baker (The Baby-Sitters Club); Seth, played by Dominic Mariche (The Christmas Yule Blog, A Gift to Cherish); and Connor, played by Parker Queenan (Party of Five, Andi Mack).

Are You Afraid of the Dark? Curse of the Shadows is produced by ACE Entertainment (To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, The Perfect Date) with ACE founder Matt Kaplan and Spencer Berman serving as executive producers and Paul Kim as co-executive producer. Jeff Wadlow (Fantasy Island, Truth or Dare) serves as executive producer and the primary director for the series. JT Billings (Beware That Girl, Charming) serves as showrunner and executive producer.
Old 01-08-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark? (Nickelodeon) -- revival series -- premieres 10/11/19

Never got around to the reboot. Was it any good?
Old 01-08-21, 01:17 PM

I thought it was. Surprisingly so. It was different than the original show though.