DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Good Place (NBC): The Fourth and Final Season -- premieres 9/26/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647868-good-place-nbc-fourth-final-season-premieres-9-26-19-a.html)

mwbmis 06-07-19 09:55 PM

The Good Place (NBC): The Fourth and Final Season -- premieres 9/26/19

Next season is it. I'm good with that.

https://tvline.com/2019/06/07/the-go...inal-season-4/

RichC2 06-07-19 10:20 PM

Re: The Good Place (NBC) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 9/27/18

Seems like a fair call, go out on top

Jay G. 06-07-19 10:26 PM

The message, as it appeared in a pic in a tweet:

"After 'The Good Place' was picked up for season two, the writing staff and I began to map out, as best we could, the trajectory of the show. Given the ideas we wanted to explore, and the pace at which we wanted to present those ideas, I began to feel like four seasons — just over 50 episodes — was the right lifespan. At times over the past few years we've been tempted to go beyond four seasons, but mostly because making this show is a rare, creatively fulfilling joy, and at the end of the day, we don't want to tread water just because the water is so warm and pleasant. As such, the upcoming fourth season will be our last.

"I will be forever grateful to NBC and Universal TV for letting us make 'The Good Place,' and for letting us end it on our own schedule. I will also be forever grateful to the creative team, both on-screen and off, for their hard work and dedication to a very weird idea. We ask the question very frequently, on this show, what do we owe to each other? The answer, for me, is: I owe all of you a whole lot.

"We look forward to a great final season airing this fall."

- Michael Schur
The tweet:

Jay G. 06-08-19 04:08 PM

Interview with Mike Schur about making season 4 of the Good Place the end:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-4-nbc-1207303

lisadoris 06-09-19 05:08 AM

I'm a bit sad but I think it's the correct call. Hopefully the final season will be as awesome as the previous seasons have been.

JimRochester 06-09-19 07:45 AM

Although I appreciate the desire to maintain quality over quantity, I love the show and would love to see it continue. On the other hand, the premise itself seems to have painted itself in a corner so I have no clue as to what other story arcs they could explore.

jpcamb 06-09-19 03:37 PM

seems to be a glitch in the matrix.... Im not seeing the posts about the final season I click on the 4th and final season thread and its bringing me to a season premier thread.

jpcamb 06-09-19 03:39 PM

re: The Good Place (NBC): The Fourth and Final Season -- premieres 9/26/19

Weird, I think I just visited the bad place... Keep calm and carry on. Going to miss this show but look forward to the final season! :)

Jay G. 09-30-19 03:58 PM

Re: The Good Place (NBC): The Fourth and Final Season -- premieres 9/26/19

I think the final season got off to a good start. The demon meddling barely lasted an episode this time around.

The full web series "The Selection" was posted to Youtube today, if anyone didn't already watch it on NBC's site/app:

Michael Corvin 09-30-19 04:08 PM

I wasn't a fan of last season, it was kind of a mess. Hopefully it can regain its mojo to go out strong.

Premier episode wasn't the funniest so not the best start.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-30-19 06:45 PM

I had no idea D'Arcy Carden is local and was born in Danville, CA.

[email protected] 09-30-19 10:33 PM

Have to admit, I actually burst out laughing when they broke into the theme song at the Bad Place's conference.

Jay G. 10-01-19 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 13616404)
Have to admit, I actually burst out laughing when they broke into the theme song at the Bad Place's conference.

My wife screamed. She HATES that song/jingle with a fiery passion. It's awful, but also somehow catchy.

Awful song, you've been warned:

jpcamb 10-01-19 09:36 AM

My forking gosh there is a heck! That song is atrocious. So its nation wide?? I thought it was regional as the evil newscaster Dan Ray from WBZ 1040AM Boston wrote the song and incredibly takes credit for it! I iused to listen to the station for traffic before Waze took care of that need. :lol:

Loved the first episode and will need to take a look at the webisode thing above... :)

Jay G. 10-01-19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13616553)
My forking gosh there is a heck! That song is atrocious. So its nation wide?? I thought it was regional as the evil newscaster Dan Ray from WBZ 1040AM Boston wrote the song and incredibly takes credit for it! I iused to listen to the station for traffic before Waze took care of that need. :lol:

I never heard of it until I moved to NYC. It apparently went national some time after 2004, at least for radio ads. I don't know if the TV ad airs outside of the East Coast.

It definitely started as an East Cost thing though, since the charity is based in New Jersey, and aired ads in New York.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kars4Kids#Jingle

lisadoris 10-02-19 05:22 AM

But it went nationwide because I remember that damn song and I've never lived on the East Coast. It seems perfect for a demon hype song.

DWilson 10-11-19 09:09 AM

Am I the only one who's a bit underwhelmed with the season so far? It's not terrible, but it just seems to be focusing so seriously on the characters and their feelings that it's losing something.

DaveCole 10-11-19 05:23 PM

I think part of the problem, is we liked the original four. I really don’t care for either of the two new characters, and we aren’t seeing a lot of Simone. Plus there does seem to be less comedy and more drama this season.

sherm42 10-12-19 07:09 PM

Yeah, I don’t really like the two new characters. But, there is no way this show doesn’t take a hard left soon. I am certain the current setup will be disrupted soon.

The Questyen 10-13-19 02:10 AM

You guys are aware you're not supposed to like these new characters. That's literally the point of them is that they're obnoxious and unlikable.

Jay G. 10-13-19 11:58 AM

So there's a theory going around that Michael was replaced by a demon in a Michael suit when he got on the train to return the demon Chris. Some of Michael's actions/advice since then seem maybe contrary to what Good Michael might say.

I think fake Linda was an obvious ploy, since demon Chris has been proven to be too much of a meathead to pull off any sort of subterfuge for long. So why would the Bad Place want their demon impostor found out? I thought at first it might've been to get Chidi into the experiment proper, knowing it'd drive Eleanor nuts. But maybe it was also to plant a Michael impostor, and destroy from within the group.

One hint may be Michael's reaction in episode 2 when she tells Michael he fakes his panic attack. The acting is subtle, but Michael's reaction here could be read as someone who doesn't know what the hell Eleanor is talking about, and is just playing along.

The latest episode, where Michael condones torturing Chidi for his own good, and says it's ok for Eleanor to be angry at him, on the surface seem like ok advice, but could be more insidious devices along the lines of "hell is paved with good intentions".

Then there's the hooded figure racing to The Good Place seen at the end of the most recent episode. Is it the real Michael making a return?

dstrauss 10-13-19 05:45 PM

There's also the theory we're not seeing our regular Good Janet the last couple episodes.

RichC2 10-13-19 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13622242)
Am I the only one who's a bit underwhelmed with the season so far? It's not terrible, but it just seems to be focusing so seriously on the characters and their feelings that it's losing something.

They don't seem to be balancing the levity with subject as well as it did in the earlier seasons.

rfduncan 10-18-19 02:13 PM

Okay I did NOT see that coming. I thought that was a really good episode (Tinker, Tailor, Demon, Spy).

lisadoris 10-19-19 05:06 AM

Looks like Jay G. and dstrauss called it: we got both a Michael suit question and a Good Janet vs Bad Janet story.

I agree that the show isn't as funny as previous seasons but it's still super interesting so I'm not complaining.