Reload this Page >

X-Men '97 - revival animated series coming to Disney+

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-08-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

X-Men: The Animated Series Revival Is Being Pitched at Disney+ with Original Creators

We could be seeing X-Men: The Animated Series coming back with new episodes, as the creative team behind the classic cartoon wants to continue the show. As Disney now holds the rights, those involved with the X-Men cartoon are planning to approach the company with the idea to pitch the series. Although the show ended its original run over two decades ago, the team is hopeful to simply resume the show from when we last saw the X-Men in 1997. This also suggests the art style would be similar, although a bit updated. "The one thing we'd like to do more than anything else is to continue where we left off," says artist and producer Larry Houston.
Old 06-08-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
re: X-Men '97 - revival animated series coming to Disney+

Best interpretation of the comic. Only thing that bothered me was the way they changed the Phoenix storyline ending. They could have used the Madelyne and Rachel storylines to continue it but since it was for kids it's obvious that it needed the change.
Old 06-08-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts

Can they pickup from the end of the second to last season? The last two was a mess because of the production changes.
Old 06-08-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

It was really an ugly show though, especially compared to the more stylistic but consistently animated BTAS. I wouldn't mind just doing a new X-men cartoon altogether.
Old 06-08-19, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It was really an ugly show though, especially compared to the more stylistic but consistently animated BTAS. I wouldn't mind just doing a new X-men cartoon altogether.
Probably do it in the style of the new Marvel shows like Avengers and Guardians, which I find the writing so bad they're unwatchable.

Old 06-08-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

The latest animated Marvel productions under Disney are unwatchable. That being said, I really wonder how much of an appetite exists for a continuation of a cult classic cartoon over 20 years old. No one under the age of 30 even knows of the original.

The show I'd love to see get continued is X-Men: Evolution. It remains the best Marvel cartoon series despite straying from the comics.
Old 06-09-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Can they pickup from the end of the second to last season? The last two was a mess because of the production changes.
Back in 2017 they said what they wanted to do if they were ever given the chance:

Spoiler:
"I had honestly never thought about it for all these years, but now that you mention it, an idea for a season just came to me: The five-season series ends with a dying Charles Xavier being whisked away to space by Lilandra, where she can maintain his fragile body, but where it seems he will be gone forever from his beloved X-Men. It's like a death. Season Six could open, months later, with the X-Men in disarray, a few gone, the ones remaining at each other's throats. They miss their leader. Then somehow they are called to, and transported to, an existential crisis on Lilandra's distant world. The team grudgingly reunites 'for Charles,' heads off to space, solves the crisis, and a somehow-healed Charles Xavier is either able to return to Earth with them or, if he can't, his heroic final sacrifice heals the team's wounds and they return to Earth as the proper X-Men again."
Old 06-09-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The latest animated Marvel productions under Disney are unwatchable. That being said, I really wonder how much of an appetite exists for a continuation of a cult classic cartoon over 20 years old. No one under the age of 30 even knows of the original.

The show I'd love to see get continued is X-Men: Evolution. It remains the best Marvel cartoon series despite straying from the comics.
People know X-men. The old shows will be on the network.

Avengers: EMH was my favorite recent Marvel series but none of them hold a candle to 90s X-Men. Only Timm's DCAU is better.
Old 06-09-19, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Revisionist history makes TAS seems awesome. I rewatched most of it a few years ago and it was....ok. The last season seemed to change animators and it looked really bad.

Maybe Disney will do it right. The "new" Darkwing Duck on the "new" Ducktales seemed to get it right.
Old 06-09-19, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
People know X-men. The old shows will be on the network.

Avengers: EMH was my favorite recent Marvel series but none of them hold a candle to 90s X-Men. Only Timm's DCAU is better.
Avengers EMH was good, then they cancelled it so they could replace it with a new version that fit in with their dreadful Spiderman show.
Old 06-09-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The best Marvel cartoon this century was The Spectacular Spider-Man. Sad it only got two seasons.
The following users liked this post:
devilshalo (11-12-21)
Old 06-09-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Count me amongst those who don’t think that the original has aged very well. The animation in those nineties Marvel shows sucked. It’s good from the perspective that it followed a lot of the big comic arcs but overall eh. Now if DC Universe would want to revive Batman: The Animated Series that would be a great idea.
Old 06-10-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Revisionist history makes TAS seems awesome. I rewatched most of it a few years ago and it was....ok. The last season seemed to change animators and it looked really bad.

Maybe Disney will do it right. The "new" Darkwing Duck on the "new" Ducktales seemed to get it right.
Wait, you're saying BTAS doesn't hold up? Or X-men? If you're talking the former, you're crazy, even though the animation took a nose dive.

Not sure you guys are aware but they continued the series in comic form during the last Secret War, and named it X-men '92, and it lasted past the miniseries stage though I didn't read it. So there's nostalgia there but I'm not sure there's enough to green light a cartoon series. If they want to revive something, revive Gargoyles.
Old 06-10-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Count me amongst those who don’t think that the original has aged very well. The animation in those nineties Marvel shows sucked. It’s good from the perspective that it followed a lot of the big comic arcs but overall eh. Now if DC Universe would want to revive Batman: The Animated Series that would be a great idea.
DC or Hanna Barbera(are they still around???) need to revive Space Ghost,Birdman and Herculoids.

They did a homage of Space Ghost on one of the last Batman Brave and Bold shows and was done quiet well.
Old 06-10-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be down for one with the same voice cast, but I agree that the 90's X-Men series has really not aged all that well. It seems like the most noteworthy thing about it was adapting comic arcs over entire seasons, and the fact it was the first introduction to the X-Men for a lot of different people. Well, that and having Jubilee be in it instead of Archangel or some of the other more popular mutants.
Old 06-10-19, 09:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, you're saying BTAS doesn't hold up? Or X-men? If you're talking the former, you're crazy, even though the animation took a nose dive.

Not sure you guys are aware but they continued the series in comic form during the last Secret War, and named it X-men '92, and it lasted past the miniseries stage though I didn't read it. So there's nostalgia there but I'm not sure there's enough to green light a cartoon series. If they want to revive something, revive Gargoyles.
I was the perfect age for Men TAS and watched the whole run as it aired. Also collected the comics, figures and cards at the time. But re-watching it again....eh. I mean its not terrible, but its not something that holds ups very well 2 decades later. I also recently rewatched Daria again and that still seemed pretty good.

Batman TAS was OK. I don't think I'd ever rewatch it though.
Old 06-10-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I was the perfect age for Men TAS and watched the whole run as it aired. Also collected the comics, figures and cards at the time. But re-watching it again....eh. I mean its not terrible, but its not something that holds ups very well 2 decades later. I also recently rewatched Daria again and that still seemed pretty good.

Batman TAS was OK. I don't think I'd ever rewatch it though.
Oh, ok, you were talking about X-men as TAS. I agree with you, I just thought you were talking smack about BTAS.
Old 06-10-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by robin2099
I would be down for one with the same voice cast, but I agree that the 90's X-Men series has really not aged all that well. It seems like the most noteworthy thing about it was adapting comic arcs over entire seasons, and the fact it was the first introduction to the X-Men for a lot of different people. Well, that and having Jubilee be in it instead of Archangel or some of the other more popular mutants.
The original voice actor for Apocalypse has already died. I don't think there's much chance of using the original voice cast even if this continuation/reboot got off the ground.

Old 11-12-21, 10:37 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Awesome that it is Marvel Studios doing this.
Old 11-12-21, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: X-Men '97 - revival animated series coming to Disney+

That might be the best use of a company using a meme to promote a product ever.
The following users liked this post:
dave94 (11-12-21)
Old 11-12-21, 11:04 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

The 1990s “X-Men: The Animated Series” is getting a revival on Disney+ with a premiere sometime 2023, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Currently called “X-Men ’97,” the revival will pick up where the classic show left off, with several cast members from “X-Men: The Animated Series” are returning; some will reprise their original roles and others will step into entirely new roles.

Returning cast members include: Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Adrian Hough, Christopher Britton, Catherine Disher, Chris Potter, Alison Sealy-Smith, Alyson Court.

“X-Men ‘97” is also welcoming a number of new voices to the cast, including Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, AJ LoCascio.

Head writer and executive producer on the series is Beau DeMayo. Supervising director is Jake Castorena and supervising producer is Charley Feldman.

Consulting on the new series are “X-Men: The Animated Series” writers Eric and Julia Lewald, and director Larry Houston.

The original “X-Men: The Animated Series” consisted of 76 episodes that aired across fives seasons between 1992 and 1997. It is currently available on Disney+. The animated series is credited for introducing the Marvel comic team to a mainstream audience, which arguably helped set it up for its 2000 live-action film. That film, starring Patrick Stewart and a then-unknown Hugh Jackman, started the early days of the superhero boom.

Houston first spoke about a possible revival in a 2019 report in The Hollywood Reporter, which said that the creative team was putting together a pitch to continue where the series left off.
https://www.thewrap.com/x-men-97-199...d-series-2023/
Old 11-12-21, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Not shocked, but pretty happy.
Old 11-12-21, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I really didn’t watch a ton of the original series, but I’m interested in the revival.

I wish WB/HBO Max would take note of this and revive Batman: The Animated Series too instead of whatever their new animated Batman show will be.
Old 11-12-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I really didn’t watch a ton of the original series, but I’m interested in the revival.
At the time, it was as good as BTAS. The animation doesn't hold up and the stories are super truncated, but it kept as close to actual story arcs from the comics in 30 min format. I always thought Evolution was the best X-Men series, but that came out years later. Eh, mon cher?

And I never knew it WASN'T EG Daily as the voice of Rogue.

Old 11-13-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't have much faith in this and see Disney completely dicking this series up.

There's probably going to be a run on the DVD volumes so might want to pick them up asap.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.