TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

X-Men: The Animated Series - Revival

Old 06-08-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

X-Men: The Animated Series - Revival

X-Men: The Animated Series Revival Is Being Pitched at Disney+ with Original Creators

We could be seeing X-Men: The Animated Series coming back with new episodes, as the creative team behind the classic cartoon wants to continue the show. As Disney now holds the rights, those involved with the X-Men cartoon are planning to approach the company with the idea to pitch the series. Although the show ended its original run over two decades ago, the team is hopeful to simply resume the show from when we last saw the X-Men in 1997. This also suggests the art style would be similar, although a bit updated. "The one thing we'd like to do more than anything else is to continue where we left off," says artist and producer Larry Houston.
Old 06-08-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: X-Men: The Animated Series - Revival

Best interpretation of the comic. Only thing that bothered me was the way they changed the Phoenix storyline ending. They could have used the Madelyne and Rachel storylines to continue it but since it was for kids it's obvious that it needed the change.
Old 06-08-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can they pickup from the end of the second to last season? The last two was a mess because of the production changes.
Old 06-08-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It was really an ugly show though, especially compared to the more stylistic but consistently animated BTAS. I wouldn't mind just doing a new X-men cartoon altogether.
Old 06-08-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It was really an ugly show though, especially compared to the more stylistic but consistently animated BTAS. I wouldn't mind just doing a new X-men cartoon altogether.
Probably do it in the style of the new Marvel shows like Avengers and Guardians, which I find the writing so bad they're unwatchable.

Old 06-08-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The latest animated Marvel productions under Disney are unwatchable. That being said, I really wonder how much of an appetite exists for a continuation of a cult classic cartoon over 20 years old. No one under the age of 30 even knows of the original.

The show I'd love to see get continued is X-Men: Evolution. It remains the best Marvel cartoon series despite straying from the comics.
Old 06-09-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
Can they pickup from the end of the second to last season? The last two was a mess because of the production changes.
Back in 2017 they said what they wanted to do if they were ever given the chance:

Spoiler:
"I had honestly never thought about it for all these years, but now that you mention it, an idea for a season just came to me: The five-season series ends with a dying Charles Xavier being whisked away to space by Lilandra, where she can maintain his fragile body, but where it seems he will be gone forever from his beloved X-Men. It's like a death. Season Six could open, months later, with the X-Men in disarray, a few gone, the ones remaining at each other's throats. They miss their leader. Then somehow they are called to, and transported to, an existential crisis on Lilandra's distant world. The team grudgingly reunites 'for Charles,' heads off to space, solves the crisis, and a somehow-healed Charles Xavier is either able to return to Earth with them or, if he can't, his heroic final sacrifice heals the team's wounds and they return to Earth as the proper X-Men again."
Old 06-09-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The latest animated Marvel productions under Disney are unwatchable. That being said, I really wonder how much of an appetite exists for a continuation of a cult classic cartoon over 20 years old. No one under the age of 30 even knows of the original.

The show I'd love to see get continued is X-Men: Evolution. It remains the best Marvel cartoon series despite straying from the comics.
People know X-men. The old shows will be on the network.

Avengers: EMH was my favorite recent Marvel series but none of them hold a candle to 90s X-Men. Only Timm's DCAU is better.
Old 06-09-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Revisionist history makes TAS seems awesome. I rewatched most of it a few years ago and it was....ok. The last season seemed to change animators and it looked really bad.

Maybe Disney will do it right. The "new" Darkwing Duck on the "new" Ducktales seemed to get it right.
Old 06-09-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
People know X-men. The old shows will be on the network.

Avengers: EMH was my favorite recent Marvel series but none of them hold a candle to 90s X-Men. Only Timm's DCAU is better.
Avengers EMH was good, then they cancelled it so they could replace it with a new version that fit in with their dreadful Spiderman show.
Old 06-09-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best Marvel cartoon this century was The Spectacular Spider-Man. Sad it only got two seasons.
Old 06-09-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Count me amongst those who donít think that the original has aged very well. The animation in those nineties Marvel shows sucked. Itís good from the perspective that it followed a lot of the big comic arcs but overall eh. Now if DC Universe would want to revive Batman: The Animated Series that would be a great idea.
Old 06-10-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Revisionist history makes TAS seems awesome. I rewatched most of it a few years ago and it was....ok. The last season seemed to change animators and it looked really bad.

Maybe Disney will do it right. The "new" Darkwing Duck on the "new" Ducktales seemed to get it right.
Wait, you're saying BTAS doesn't hold up? Or X-men? If you're talking the former, you're crazy, even though the animation took a nose dive.

Not sure you guys are aware but they continued the series in comic form during the last Secret War, and named it X-men '92, and it lasted past the miniseries stage though I didn't read it. So there's nostalgia there but I'm not sure there's enough to green light a cartoon series. If they want to revive something, revive Gargoyles.
Old 06-10-19, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Count me amongst those who donít think that the original has aged very well. The animation in those nineties Marvel shows sucked. Itís good from the perspective that it followed a lot of the big comic arcs but overall eh. Now if DC Universe would want to revive Batman: The Animated Series that would be a great idea.
DC or Hanna Barbera(are they still around???) need to revive Space Ghost,Birdman and Herculoids.

They did a homage of Space Ghost on one of the last Batman Brave and Bold shows and was done quiet well.
Old 06-10-19, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would be down for one with the same voice cast, but I agree that the 90's X-Men series has really not aged all that well. It seems like the most noteworthy thing about it was adapting comic arcs over entire seasons, and the fact it was the first introduction to the X-Men for a lot of different people. Well, that and having Jubilee be in it instead of Archangel or some of the other more popular mutants.
Old 06-10-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, you're saying BTAS doesn't hold up? Or X-men? If you're talking the former, you're crazy, even though the animation took a nose dive.

Not sure you guys are aware but they continued the series in comic form during the last Secret War, and named it X-men '92, and it lasted past the miniseries stage though I didn't read it. So there's nostalgia there but I'm not sure there's enough to green light a cartoon series. If they want to revive something, revive Gargoyles.
I was the perfect age for Men TAS and watched the whole run as it aired. Also collected the comics, figures and cards at the time. But re-watching it again....eh. I mean its not terrible, but its not something that holds ups very well 2 decades later. I also recently rewatched Daria again and that still seemed pretty good.

Batman TAS was OK. I don't think I'd ever rewatch it though.
Old 06-10-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
I was the perfect age for Men TAS and watched the whole run as it aired. Also collected the comics, figures and cards at the time. But re-watching it again....eh. I mean its not terrible, but its not something that holds ups very well 2 decades later. I also recently rewatched Daria again and that still seemed pretty good.

Batman TAS was OK. I don't think I'd ever rewatch it though.
Oh, ok, you were talking about X-men as TAS. I agree with you, I just thought you were talking smack about BTAS.
Old 06-10-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
I would be down for one with the same voice cast, but I agree that the 90's X-Men series has really not aged all that well. It seems like the most noteworthy thing about it was adapting comic arcs over entire seasons, and the fact it was the first introduction to the X-Men for a lot of different people. Well, that and having Jubilee be in it instead of Archangel or some of the other more popular mutants.
The original voice actor for Apocalypse has already died. I don't think there's much chance of using the original voice cast even if this continuation/reboot got off the ground.