Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Little Lies (HBO) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/9/19

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 08:45 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Big Little Lies (HBO) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/9/19

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4VV8u766E7Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eCWevZV945M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the surface, in the tranquil seaside town of Monterey, California, everything seems the same. The mothers continue to dote, the husbands support, the children remain adorable and the houses are just as beautiful. But the night of the school fundraiser changed all that, leaving the community reeling, as the "Monterey Five" - Madeline, Celeste, Jane, Renata and Bonnie - bond together to pick up the pieces of their shattered lives. Created by David E. Kelley, teleplays by David E. Kelley and story by Kelley and Liane Moriarty, and based on the novel by New York Times #1 bestselling author Liane Moriarty, BIG LITTLE LIES returns for its seven-episode second season SUNDAY, JUNE 9 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO. The new season explores the malignancy of lies, the durability of friendships, the fragility of marriage and, of course, the vicious ferocity of sound parenting. Relationships will fray, loyalties will erode... and the potential for emotional and bodily injury shall loom. The new season will also be available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and affiliate portals.
Season 2, episode 1: "What Have They Done?"

Debut date: SUNDAY, JUNE 9 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT)

Following first-day-of-school events, Madeline (Reese Witherspoon) is worried by Bonnie's (Zoë Kravitz) behavior and, later, is shocked when Abigail (Kathryn Newton) says she doesn't want to go to college. Mary Louise (Meryl Streep), Celeste's (Nicole Kidman) mother-in-law, offers her unvarnished assessment of Madeline's character. Jane (Shailene Woodley) learns from her new coworker, Corey (Douglas Smith), that she's known in town as one of the "Monterey Five."

Teleplay by David E. Kelley; story by David E. Kelley and Liane Moriarty; directed by Andrea Arnold.
Old 06-09-19, 10:44 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/9/19

Such a great show. Great first ep of #2. The clover of actors is unreal.
Old 06-10-19, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Shailene looks so good with black hair and bangs. Damn.
Old 06-10-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great start and glad to have the cast back for more.
Old 06-10-19, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Great start and glad to have the cast back for more.
Ditto.
Old 06-16-19, 08:53 PM

“I used to like to sit on your face. You think that’ll happen again?”
Old 06-17-19, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Tonight's episode was fantastic.
Old 06-18-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Laura Dern's nutso rich white woman character.
Old 06-18-19, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by writer106
I love Laura Dern's nutso rich white woman character.
Yup. She's terrible and Dern seems like she's having a ball.
Old 06-18-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

That Mother in Law(Streep) is Mental.
Old 06-20-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

For those of you who watched the "This Season on..." post-show clip, do you think that's a major spoiler or a dream sequence? You'll know what I mean if you've seen it. There was some foreshadowing of what I'm talking about in dialogue of the latest episode.
Old 06-20-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Just getting caught up after being away for a few weeks. Solid 1st episode and really good seeing all the ladies back together again.

I guess Kidman's mother in law (Streep) is really going to pursue what really happened to her son and be a thorne on the ladies side.

and this show is 2 weeks in and there's only 11 posts. This was one of the most talked about and hyped shows in 2017. I guess it lost some momentum for this forum 2 years later or this forum just continues to be freaking dead.

I watched on HBO Go and there's a roundtable segment in the extras with all the ladies talking about the episode.
Old 06-21-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
or this forum just continues to be freaking dead.
For comparison sake, on the TV Time app, this episode alone has 687 comments.
Old 06-21-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
For comparison sake, on the TV Time app, this episode alone has 687 comments.
687 posts for 1 episode and this forum has 12 posts for 2 weeks. And most of the 12 aren't even talking about the episode.

sometimes I question why I still hang out here where it seems like this forum is barely hanging on by a thread. Or most of the posters here simply are too lazy to share their thoughts anymore.

Several shows have started new seasons in recent weeks aside from Big Little Lies and this forum doesn't seem to care.

I like good and smart debates and discussions on TV, but when people here aren't willing to do it, then I have to wonder why do I even bother anymore?
Old 06-21-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, it's frustrating to come here wanting to talk about an ep only to see a few posting. I feel like a show has to be really huge for this forum to get excited about it. ie. Game of thrones.
Old 06-21-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I dunno. The end of the second episode was great. But it just seems like an unnecessary coda to season 1 at this point.
Old 06-24-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I was a huge fan of the first season. Thought it was of the best series I had ever seen. But so far, thumbs down on this season. I think the writing is really terrible.
Old 06-24-19, 11:52 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm loving it, so good. Meryl is a lunatic! Asking for a DNA test. If I was Jane I would have told her to get fucked. and then showing up to try and meet Ziggy, again - Fuck right off, and restraining order.
Old 06-25-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I was a huge fan of the first season. Thought it was of the best series I had ever seen. But so far, thumbs down on this season. I think the writing is really terrible.
Like what? I feel it has maintained its level of writing; but I could be wrong. I'm curious where you feel it's failed.
Old 06-25-19, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
You might be the only one....
Old 06-25-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo

You might be the only one....
No. I have a few friends who are watching it and we've been talking about it after each episode. A couple agree with me. In fact one said, and I quote: "This season is slow, boring and the story has no direction. It's like the same circles of things happening. And yet, nothing really happens. It kinda reminds me to the disappointing Sharp Objects. In pace. Spending 3 episodes going nowhere."

Giantrobo, to answer your question. At the top of my head. The dialogue between Reese's ex husband (Nathan) and current husband (Ed) was pretty unrealistic based on their past relationship and exchanges. Nathan asking Ed to talk to his wife Bonnie (Zoe Kravitz) to find out why she's being so distant. What man asks another man to speak to his wife about something like that? They're not even friends. Speaking of Bonnie, just how small is Monterey? Everyone keeps running into her everywhere. Madeline and Celeste (Reese/Nicole) driving through the woods and Bonnie is walking along the side of the road. Jane (Shailene) watching her son surf and Bonnie goes jogging by. Then there was the scene where Ed gets upset at Madeline when she didn't tell him that Jane's son was fathered by Celeste's late husband (Perry). Or when Ed snaps back at Celeste after the school meeting asking her to open up more to him about her life. When she asked why he didn't comfort Madeline after her speech. What husband gets that emotionally involved with their wife's friends? I also think the way Renata (Laura Dern) spoke to that doctor in the emergency room was really over the top. Even for her character. Her kid wasn't even in real danger. And yes, I know there is abuse history with the child so she is overprotective. But that was a bit much. I don't hate the show. But it's a pale comparison to season one so far.
Old 06-25-19, 01:47 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The actual village of Monterey is pretty small, that would be the area along the bay where Reese gets her coffee next to the old cannery row leading to the aquarium. So it's entirely plausible that people bump into each other all the time. That being said, this show plays fast and loose with the geography in the area so don't expect too much factual accuracy.

Bixby Bridge is featured pretty extensively as if its just outside of town when its pretty far south on the 101. A lot of the ocean front houses look like they are actually down in Carmel where the richer folk live. I never saw anything like Reese's house in Pacific Grove which would be the most likely location given how much they use the park alongside it for shots.

In fact I think I heard they filmed most of this season in LA so they are probably just using Malibu.
Old 06-25-19, 02:04 PM

I'm enjoying so far. But, IMO, Streep is over the top. I completely understand why they wanted to cast her and accolades and press that go with casting her. I just think someone who wasn't AS big may have been more suited.
Old 06-25-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluesix

In fact I think I heard they filmed most of this season in LA so they are probably just using Malibu.
It definitely looks like Malibu. I have friends and family all throughout Southern California and used to stay at a house next to the Getty Villa. So we hit all of the beaches up and down the PCH in that area. Beautiful!

Old 06-25-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm enjoying so far. But, IMO, Streep is over the top. I completely understand why they wanted to cast her and accolades and press that go with casting her. I just think someone who wasn't AS big may have been more suited.
Agree 100%. I feared this the moment I heard she was cast. And I think she's great otherwise. Just doesn't fit in here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.