DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Big Little Lies (HBO) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/9/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647858-big-little-lies-hbo-season-2-thread-premieres-6-9-19-a.html)

BDB 07-15-19 11:58 AM

Re: Big Little Lies (HBO) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 6/9/19

That last episode was a little bit too much filler for me, also I don't believe it's that easy to take custody of kids by a grandparent. especially for a Mom, and I know it's a TV show, but the whole re-enactment of his falling, how is that relevant to the court case? her lawyer might be shit!

And then there's this!!

windom 07-15-19 12:07 PM

Will Celeste call Perry's father as a witness? That seems like the only person that could have any dirt on Mary Louise.

Maybe it would be Alexander Skarsgard in old age makeup!

Giantrobo 07-15-19 04:07 PM

Pretty intense ep. The way shit is just falling apart for everyone is crazy. Also, I swear Streep does some of her best work when the character has short hair and wears glasses.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-16-19 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by bdb (Post 13578527)
that last episode was a little bit too much filler for me, also i don't believe it's that easy to take custody of kids by a grandparent. Especially for a mom, and i know it's a tv show, but the whole re-enactment of his falling, how is that relevant to the court case? Her lawyer might be shit!

And then there's this!!

https://twitter.com/jenny10larsen/st...94254739247104

lol

Daytripper 07-17-19 03:45 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/news/season-2-...130030534.html

Daytripper 07-22-19 09:45 PM

Well that ending was rather underwhelming. It was everything they kept teasing us with and it actually happened. Not terrible, but I was hoping for more. The courtroom scene was pretty powerful though.

Giantrobo 07-23-19 12:38 PM

Gotta admit, their closing scene left me wanting more...

stingermck 07-23-19 02:35 PM

Yeah court room was amazing, and then it ended with a thud. Put it up there with Sopranos and GOT, with HBO unable to stick the landing.

starseed1981 07-24-19 09:36 AM

I enjoyed the finale despite the weak ending. But this season really didn't need to happen. It was basically an excuse to get Meryl Streep on HBO TV. If they do make a 3rd season I won't be around for it.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-24-19 05:59 PM

Maybe that ending sets up for season 3 if they do one.

Spoiler:
So the Zoe Kravitz character broke and the other ladies will confirrm she murdered him?

Daytripper 07-24-19 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13583383)
Maybe that ending sets up for season 3 if they do one.

Spoiler:
So the Zoe Kravitz character broke and the other ladies will confirrm she murdered him?

So, if there is another season, it will be another mostly court room story line. To show how broken Bonnie is. With her abusive past, etc. I can see HBO wanting for this to continue. Especially since the ratings were bigger this season. With the right writers and possibly Jean-Marc Vallee back in the director's seat full time, not an editor, I'd give it a shot.

mcnabb 07-25-19 05:50 PM

I thought it was a really strong Season 2, but that finale was a total dud. I hate that this happens in TV and Movies as so many of them just can't stick the landing, and you just don't care about what comes next. I think they did a great job with the micro story this season and dealing with the issue of 'abuse' with the different characters. But they dropped the ball on the macro story as the 'murder investigation' was just one big tease to get another season.

mcnabb 07-26-19 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13568183)
sometimes I question why I still hang out here where it seems like this forum is barely hanging on by a thread. Or most of the posters here simply are too lazy to share their thoughts anymore.

I agree, but the problem with TV discussion in 2019 is binge watching and the 'Season' Threads. For example, I binged the show in the past 2 weeks, so I couldn't talk about each episode week to week with you guys. Since I got behind, I didn't venture in this thread because I feared any spoilers as I knew many people were ahead of me. If we went back to 'episode' threads, then I would have commented after everyone with no worries of spoilers. Now I understand that this forum doesn't get as much traffic as it did years ago so 99% of the shows don't get an episode thread like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, but it's a big reason why I don't comment until I finish watching the show. I did the same for Stranger Things as I didn't venture into the Season 3 thread until I finished the whole season.

Daytripper 07-28-19 04:25 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...160054049.html

mwbmis 12-09-19 10:48 PM

When I started watching season 1, I couldn't wait to get to the next episode. But season one, like the book, was kind of a closed loop that didn't require a second season. I thought this season of television kind of bore that out. Sure there were some fun moments, but it all felt so unnecessary. I had to make myself watch the last few episodes

d2cheer 04-29-20 02:12 PM

Blasted through the 2 seasons of this and thought it was fantastic. Incredible acting by most involved. Streep as usual was great and I have to admit I was hoping she would be offed at the end. :lol:

Dern really shined in season 2. I don't know what awards were won etc but she earn a supporting actress emmy for sure.

Decker 04-29-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13732647)
Blasted through the 2 seasons of this and thought it was fantastic. Incredible acting by most involved. Streep as usual was great and I have to admit I was hoping she would be offed at the end. :lol:

Dern really shined in season 2. I don't know what awards were won etc but she earn a supporting actress emmy for sure.

Season 2 will be eligible for Emmys this Summer. It just missed the cutoff for last season - and that was probably intentional as it will be competing in the Best Drama Series categories instead of Limited Series where it competed and cleaned up for Season 1, and HBO didn't want it running against GoT. For the first season, Dern won Best Supporting Actress, Skarsgard won for Supporting Actor, Kidman won for Best Actress (Reese was also nominated), and the series (and EP Reese) won for Best Limited Series.

I would expect Dern and Streep to battle for Best Supporting Actress in a Dramatic Series. Not sure if it will be in the mix in any other categories this year.

mickey65 04-29-20 11:01 PM

I recently bought the DVD set for this (since DISH dropped HBO on my TV), and really enjoyed it. Of course the first season was a little better, but season 2 held up pretty well - after the slow start from the first episode.

bluetoast 04-29-20 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13732647)

The award she won was playing the exact same character in Marriage Story and winning an Oscar. :lol: