DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Punky Brewster (Peacock) -- sequel series starring Soleil Moon Frye (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647822-punky-brewster-peacock-sequel-series-starring-soleil-moon-frye.html)

dex14 06-04-19 12:16 PM

Punky Brewster (Peacock) -- sequel series starring Soleil Moon Frye

EXCLUSIVE: Another classic sitcom is eying a return with its original star. UCP is developing Punky Brewster, a sequel to the 1984 NBC sitcom, with Soleil Moon Frye set to reprise her role as the titular character that became a pop culture icon of the 1980s.

The multi-camera original series, created by David W. Duclon, centered on Punky (Frye), a bright young girl raised by a foster dad (George Gaynes). In the multi-camera/hybrid reboot, Punky (Frye) is now a single mother of three trying to get her life back on track when she meets a young girl who reminds her a lot of her younger self.

The followup series is written and executive produced by Steve and Jim Armogida (School of Rock, Grounded For Life). Frye will also serve as executive producer along with Duclon and Emmy-winning producer Jimmy Fox (The Arrangement) of Main Event Media, an All3Media America company

Punky Brewster, which catapulted its young star Frye to fame, ran for four seasons, two on NBC, the rest in syndication. It nabbed three Primetime Emmy nominations including two for Outstanding Children’s Program. Frye also voiced the Punky character in It’s Punky Brewster, an animated animated spinoff series that ran two season and earned a Daytime Emmy nomination for Outstanding Animated Program.

While UCP has produced hourlong and half-hour comedy series with Difficult People, Psych, Playing House and Happy!, Punky Brewster marks a the studio’s first foray into multi-camera/family sitcoms.

Other popular sitcoms of the 1980s and 1990s that have made a return with the original stars over the past few years include Boy Meets World, Full House, Will & Grace, Roseanne and Will & Grace.

Following her breakout role on Punky Brewster, Frye has guest starred on such series as Friends, Saved by the Bell, and The Wonder Years and recurred on Sabrina, the Teenage Witch opposite Melissa Joan Hart. Frye has done extensive voice work on numerous animated series and films including The Ren & Stimpy Show, The Proud Family, Robot Chicken, and Bratz. Frye hosted 3 seasons of the Daytime Emmy-winning series Home Made Simple for Oprah Winfrey’s OWN network and was an ongoing contributor for Today. Additionally, she has written two books, Happy Chaos and Let’s Get This Party Started. Frye recently wrapped production of Heirlooms, a crime comedy co-starring Shelley Long and Luke Wilson.

Headed by Dawn Olmstead, NBCU-owned UCP is behind Amazon’s Homecoming, Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy, Hulu’s The Act, USA’s Mr. Robot, Dirty John, The Purge & The Sinner, Syfy’s The Magicians, and YouTube Originals’ Impulse, among others. The studio’s development slate also include Chucky for Syfy, Public Figures for Quibi, and an adaptation of the popular podcast, Dr. Death.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/punky-b...Eeja0wc8HQKB3M

MysterioMan007 06-07-19 06:37 PM

re: Punky Brewster (Peacock) -- sequel series starring Soleil Moon Frye

I remember the original show, but I never really binged it or even saw that many episodes. Might have to give them a watch. I really like the "sequel/continuation" trend. Much better than remaking everything. Hopefully, this gets a shot.

dex14 01-16-20 07:24 AM

Punky Brewster Sequel Ordered to Series at NBC's Streaming Service

Everyone’s favorite pigtailed moppet is officially back: NBC Universal’s streaming service Peacock has greenlit a sequel to the 1980s sitcom Punky Brewster, TVLine has learned.

As previously reported, Soleil Moon Frye will return as the titular character, and Cherie Johnson will reprise her role as Punky’s best friend, Cherie. Freddie Prinze Jr. will guest-star in the premiere as Punky’s ex-husband, Travis. The cast also includes Lauren Donzis (No Good Nick) and newcomers Quinn Copeland, Oliver De Los Santos and Noah Cottrell.

Season 1 will consist of 10 episodes that will follow a grown-up Punky, who’s now a single mom with three kids. Punky is in the process of pulling her life together when she meets Izzy (played by Copeland), a girl in the foster-care system who reminds Punky of her younger self.

Steve and Jim Armogida (School of Rock) will write and executive-produce the sequel series; Frye, original series creator David Duclon and Jimmy Fox (The Arrangement) also will serve as executive producers.
https://tvline.com/2020/01/16/punky-brewster-sequel-series-order-revival-peacock/

Gizmo 01-16-20 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13671894)
Punky Brewster Sequel Ordered to Series at NBC's Streaming Service
https://tvline.com/2020/01/16/punky-brewster-sequel-series-order-revival-peacock/

No one is asking for this. This feel just like the sequel series to Fuller House, Raven etc.

movieguru 01-16-20 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 13671941)
No one is asking for this. This feel just like the sequel series to Fuller House, Raven etc.

The single mom raising three kids makes it sound a lot like Fuller House. If this shows doesn't focus on the annoying love triangle/ romance plots like fuller House did, it may be interesting. Fuller House just got old well before the first show ended,

MysterioMan007 01-16-20 10:25 PM

I'll probably catch it at some point. I need to fully watch the first series first I remember the first show was about 4 seasons or so and it was everything 80's Sad that George Gaynes is no longer with us, but it will be interesting to see what became of Punky in her adulthood

windom 01-16-20 10:45 PM

I guess it would cost too much to get Mayim Bialik to do a Blossom revival. Damn you, Big Bang Theory!

mwbmis 01-17-20 11:22 AM

Blossom makes a lot more sense as a Peacock revival than Punky Brewster. I certainly don't remember it as some sort of ubiquitous syndication show like Saved by the Bell.

If we're going to bring back 80s NBC Sunday night comedies then maybe we can do Sister Kate next. They can even get Fab to come back and lipsync to Blame It on the Rain again.

DJariya 04-16-20 10:55 AM

First teaser of the new Punky Brewster

Inhumans99 04-16-20 11:10 AM

I was a fan of the OG Punky Brewster series so I plan to watch (I know in another thread it was noted that I might be able to watch free w/limited commercial interruptions, if this is still true...yay, because there are several Peacock shows I look forward to sampling).

Michael Corvin 04-16-20 04:24 PM

Yay! Another streaming service.

ben12 04-16-20 05:43 PM

I'm not watching if there's no Glomer.

printerati 04-17-20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13560197)
Soleil Moon Frye set to reprise her role as the titular character

Not so much since she got the reduction...

Deftones 02-02-21 02:34 PM

Re: Punky Brewster (Peacock) -- sequel series starring Soleil Moon Frye

Trailer

Mr. Flix 02-02-21 03:06 PM

Looks... rather generic. I have a soft spot for the original show, so I'd probably give this revival a chance if it was already on a service I streamed, but I'm not picking up Peacock just for this.

MysterioMan007 02-03-21 09:29 AM

Peacock comes with my cable service, so I'm not paying any extra for it. I just recently went through the original show. A little over-the-top silly in later seasons, but I still enjoyed it. I hope they address whatever happened to her mom during the original series. Glad to see Cherie back. Hope this is at least decent.

MysterioMan007 02-25-21 12:36 PM

I went through the ten episodes this morning. Pretty quick watch. If you liked the original series, it's pretty much the same thing, just with updated "wokeness". It's like 80's sitcom taking place in today's world. I'm not too sure about the decision to make Cherie gay, but ok, it didn't kill the show for me. It won't fall on any top 10 or even 100 lists, but it was a perfectly fine addition to the original show. Same apartment building, same set designs. Punky herself is still just as endearing as she was back in the 80's and it's like Soleil Moon-Frye never stepped out of the role..

It was nice to see Alexa Bliss and Charlotte Flair for an episode, as well as Seth Green and a guest appearance by Margaux, who I probably wouldn't have recognized. No Allen or anything, though. The kids are pretty well-done. Most of these reboots (like Fuller House) have the most bland kid characters imaginable, but I actually enjoyed all of these kids. Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Travis was a good character, although it's a little bit of a stretch for me to see him as an ex-musician. Nice nostalgia with the tree house episode.

And they addressed the biggest loose end from the original series in Punky's mom. I was worried they were going to tease the reunion all season and then just leave it as a cliffhanger when they meet. But they didn't. And we got to see Punky reunite with her, a scene which had me tearing up a little. All in all, season 1 was a decent follow-up to the original series. They left it at a place where it could be a one and done as well as a starting point for a season 2. I guess we'll know later which is the case. Better than the Saved By the Bell reboot and more heart.

DJariya 02-25-21 04:02 PM

I've watched the 1st 2 episodes so far and they're fine for that they are. It's a 80s style multi-camera sitcom that takes place in 2021.

They did a really good job recreating Henry's old apartment. And I liked seeing Punky acknowledge the photo of him. The kids are fine, including the one who plays Punky's real daughter. It was also cool seeing Cherie back in this incarnation. I'll probably finish the rest up later tonight.

I noticed that Punky called the dog "Brandon" That was a nice nod to her original dog as a kid.

Inhumans99 02-25-21 04:11 PM

AV club was down on this (I think they gave it a C or C+) but based on MysterioMan's and DJariya's comments I very much look forward to watching. Will check this out starting tonight, and thanks for the reminder that they episodes are up and ready to watch.

dex14 02-25-21 04:13 PM

In somewhat related news... this SMF doc is coming to Hulu next month.

MysterioMan007 02-25-21 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 13897027)
AV club was down on this (I think they gave it a C or C+) but based on MysterioMan's and DJariya's comments I very much look forward to watching. Will check this out starting tonight, and thanks for the reminder that they episodes are up and ready to watch.

I think a 'C' is a fair grade. Average. It won't be something I constantly rewatch, but I didn't hate it and I didn't have any trouble getting through it.

MysterioMan007 02-25-21 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13897029)
In somewhat related news... this SMF doc is coming to Hulu next month.

https://youtu.be/0kbgWzN0OWc

This looks pretty interesting. Didn't know she had filmed all this stuff. It'll be interesting to see what she did all these years, because I really only remember seeing her in one of the Pumpkinhead movies and that Friends episode where she was punching Joey all the time after the original Punky Brewster ended. I'm sure she did more, but I never saw her stuff. I wonder how she managed to stay "normal" considering how a lot of the 80's child stars turned out.

jpcamb 02-26-21 10:47 AM

she was on Jimmy Kimmel recently talking about the documentary. Seems she took hundreds of hours of videotape and lots of child actors were her friends, she pulled them out of storage to see if she remembered her childhood as it was, and the documentary sort of flowed from there. Might be worth a watch..

Gizmo 02-26-21 12:28 PM

Does Punky ever not wear overalls?

BrewCrew 02-26-21 12:43 PM

I remember seeing her in Wonder Years and Saved by the Bell as well.