Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Punky Brewster (Peacock) -- sequel series starring Soleil Moon Frye

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts
Re: Punky Brewster (Peacock) -- sequel series starring Soleil Moon Frye

^ I remember that Wonder Years episode too (her character was memorable, to say the least)

I'd like to see that documentary someday. Whoever in the trailer mentioned it was the "awkward years" was spot-on, and I'm sure as shit glad there wasn't a camera recording everything I did or said in that 12-16 period. Probably a few years after that as well.
Old 02-26-21, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I think Brian Austin Green was the one who said the "awkward years" line in the trailer for the documentary.
Old 03-01-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I went through the ten episodes this morning. Pretty quick watch. If you liked the original series, it's pretty much the same thing, just with updated "wokeness". It's like 80's sitcom taking place in today's world. I'm not too sure about the decision to make Cherie gay, but ok, it didn't kill the show for me. It won't fall on any top 10 or even 100 lists, but it was a perfectly fine addition to the original show. Same apartment building, same set designs. Punky herself is still just as endearing as she was back in the 80's and it's like Soleil Moon-Frye never stepped out of the role..

It was nice to see Alexa Bliss and Charlotte Flair for an episode, as well as Seth Green and a guest appearance by Margaux, who I probably wouldn't have recognized. No Allen or anything, though. The kids are pretty well-done. Most of these reboots (like Fuller House) have the most bland kid characters imaginable, but I actually enjoyed all of these kids. Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Travis was a good character, although it's a little bit of a stretch for me to see him as an ex-musician. Nice nostalgia with the tree house episode.

And they addressed the biggest loose end from the original series in Punky's mom. I was worried they were going to tease the reunion all season and then just leave it as a cliffhanger when they meet. But they didn't. And we got to see Punky reunite with her, a scene which had me tearing up a little. All in all, season 1 was a decent follow-up to the original series. They left it at a place where it could be a one and done as well as a starting point for a season 2. I guess we'll know later which is the case. Better than the Saved By the Bell reboot and more heart.
They don't mention her dad at all. I can't recall if they ever mentioned him in the original series. I guess if the do a second season, it's possible they could do a story arc with him and her mom.
Old 03-02-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I watched all 10 episodes and I still feel like MysterioMan's post sums things up pretty well. I did not catch the end of MysterioMan's post that notes that this show is better than the Saved By The Bell reboot but I agree. I like the SBTB reboot as it has its charms but I found myself enjoying Punky a bit more. Again, MysterioMan said it all, if the kids on the show were more annoying than charming the show would fall flat on its face.

I am a bit more impressed with Freddie Prinze Jr., as I thought he was great and hope he sticks around if there is a season 2.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (03-03-21)
Old 03-02-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm a couple episodes in, and I'm liking it so far. Simple, light-hearted, family-oriented sitcom with likeable characters, and just enough throwbacks to the original to not be blatantly clinging to something it used to be. It's making it on its own. I'd say so far this is as well done as the Full House reboot, and that one lasted 5 seasons.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
They don't mention her dad at all. I can't recall if they ever mentioned him in the original series. I guess if the do a second season, it's possible they could do a story arc with him and her mom.
I just recently watched the original series for the first time in preparation for this as it was one I always meant to watch and just never got around to it. If I recall correctly, I believe it was mentioned in one of the earlier episodes, maybe the pilot, of the original show that he walked out on the family and never came back. I'm not sure Punky ever knew him. Might be interesting if they bring it back for another season if she got to find both of her parents.
Old 03-12-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
In somewhat related news... this SMF doc is coming to Hulu next month.

https://youtu.be/0kbgWzN0OWc
This is out on hulu now. I just finished it. Pretty interesting for anyone who loved the Gen X era. She documented the 90's and her friend circle pretty well. She doesn't hold back on her behavior back then for the sake of her image and splices with Soleil looking back as a wiser, older woman giving perspective is really heartbreaking at times, especially after her first non-consentual sexual encounter. Footage of Jonathan Brandis and some of the other actors that committed suicide was sad. She's lost a lot of friends over the years and carries guilt over not recognizing the signs. I had no idea she was involved with Charlie Sheen at all. Good nostalgia piece if you loved the 90's. Like opening a time capsule. You also get interview snippets from David Arquette, Stephen Dorff, Balthazar Getty, Danny Boy O'Connor, Brian Austin Green, and Mark-Paul Gosselaar.
Old 03-21-21, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I just finished the season today. I had three more episodes left to watch. Overall, I thought it was good. A nice throwback to 80s and 90s style comedies. Very simple and light hearted.

Bringing in Punky's Mom and the continuing foster care of Izzie does leave things open for another season. Also Cherie and her partner still have a wedding. But, it is self contained enough to be one and done. The cast really grew on me and surprisingly I enjoyed Freddie Prinze Jr. in this. It quite fit his personality being the dorky musician Dad.

Punky and her Mom's scene in the restaurant was nice and did make me smile. I did think Soleil was a little over the top was some of her acting, but eventually she did get back into the Punky character.

Surprised Peacock hasn't renewed this yet. This can't be that expensive to make and the cast is pretty small unlike the Saved by the Bell reboot. Just to correct myself from earlier, Punky's dog is named "Brandy", but Izzie said it was a male dog? But, a nice nod to Punky's late dog Brandon.

BTW, Peacock does have the original show, but it says it expires in 23 days. WTH? They couldn't get the rights to keep that up longer? It's an NBC show.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-21-21 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-21-21, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just finished the season today. I had three more episodes left to watch. Overall, I thought it was good. A nice throwback to 80s and 90s style comedies. Very simple and light hearted.

Bringing in Punky's Mom and the continuing foster care of Izzie does leave things open for another season. Also Cherie and her partner still have a wedding. But, it is self contained enough to be one and done. The cast really grew on me and surprisingly I enjoyed Freddie Prinze Jr. in this. It quite fit his personality being the dorky musician Dad.

Punky and her Mom's scene in the restaurant was nice and did make me smile. I did think Soleil was a little over the top was some of her acting, but eventually she did get back into the Punky character.

Surprised Peacock hasn't renewed this yet. This can't be that expensive to make and the cast is pretty small unlike the Saved by the Bell reboot. Just to correct myself from earlier, Punky's dog is named "Brandy", but Izzie said it was a male dog? But, a nice nod to Punky's late dog Brandon.

BTW, Peacock does have the original show, but it says it expires in 23 days. WTH? They couldn't get the rights to keep that up longer? It's an NBC show.

IIRC, the show was syndicated after NBC canceled it after season 1. Rights might be iffy. It’s never streamed anywhere before, AFAIK.
Old 08-20-21, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk God

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/pun...-2-1235045256/

Cancelled after 1 season

Considering 6 months had passed since the season aired, I'm not surprised. It didn't get great reviews and hardly anyone talked about it in the press or online. I think it was already forgotten. I enjoyed it for it's cute nostalgia and the now series finale ended well enough where the season was pretty self contained. So no huge loss. There's tons of other shows to watch.
Old 08-20-21, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
IIRC, the show was syndicated after NBC canceled it after season 1. Rights might be iffy. It’s never streamed anywhere before, AFAIK.
The original series had an even spilt with 2 seasons (44 eps) on NBC and 2 seasons (44 eps) in syndication.
Old 08-21-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/pun...-2-1235045256/

Cancelled after 1 season

Considering 6 months had passed since the season aired, I'm not surprised. It didn't get great reviews and hardly anyone talked about it in the press or online. I think it was already forgotten. I enjoyed it for it's cute nostalgia and the now series finale ended well enough where the season was pretty self contained. So no huge loss. There's tons of other shows to watch.
I thought this and SBTB were actually pretty good,but the show had been out of syndication/cable reruns for a good quarter century and was never something building a new generation of eyeballs on any major streaming service. The preteen audience out there will have never heard of Punk Brewster,and even some of their parents are probably too young to have watched when it was first run. Seems like the Mad About You and Murphy Brown reboots it was doomed to fail
Old 08-21-21, 04:55 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't watched it but this was in one of my feeds:
https://ew.com/tv/punky-brewster-rev...celed-peacock/
Old 08-21-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I already posted it. Only 3 posts above.
Old 08-22-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I liked the new show enough to watch a second season. I'm glad they got to tie up a loose end from the old series regarding what happened to her mother, but they still had an avenue for more stories.
Old 08-24-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a shame, but it was more a product of its time. It was great to see what became of the character after Henry passed away and good for nostalgia.