Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix) -- choose your own adventure episode

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix) -- choose your own adventure episode

Old 10-01-18, 09:20 AM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (Netflix) -- choose your own adventure episode

Netflix Inc. is about to let you decide how your favorite show will end.

The streaming service is developing a slate of specials that will let viewers choose the next storyline in a TV episode or movie, according to people familiar with the matter. The company expects to release the first of these projects before the end of this year, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans are still private.

Viewers will get to choose their own storylines in one episode of the upcoming season of “Black Mirror,” the Emmy-winning science-fiction anthology series. The show is famous for exploring the social implications of technology, including an episode where humans jockey to receive higher ratings from their peers. The fifth season of the show is expected to be released in December.

The foray into choose-your-own-adventure programming represents a big bet on a nascent form of entertainment known as interactive TV. As Netflix expands around the world, it’s looking for new ways to lure customers. By blending elements of video games with traditional television, the company could create a formula that can be applied to any number of series.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-black-mirror
Old 10-02-18, 08:11 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 40,113
Received 92 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

I wonder if this will be a "the viewer is under our control" type twist, BioShock style.
Old 12-20-18, 07:10 AM
  #3  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

“Black Mirror” fans, we have good news and bad news.

The good news: Netflix has confirmed via its own site that “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” is going to be a film installment in the sci-fi anthology series. The bad news: The streamer hasn’t officially confirmed when the movie will drop or if it’s part of the show’s upcoming fifth season.

On Tuesday, eagle-eyed Reddit user PhoOhThree discovered “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch” chilling on its own Netflix page, separate from the landing spot for the Charlie Brooker-created series’ other 19 episodes. And it is labeled “A Netflix Film.”

Here’s a screenshot of the page:



The only other bit of info we get from this mysterious page is a “Be right back” description — which fans will recognize as the title of a Season 2 episode and one of the series’ favorite references for promos, not (direct) confirmation “Black Mirror” will actually “be right back.”

Netflix declined TheWrap’s request for comment on when “Bandersnatch” will launch, what its runtime is and if it is part of “Black Mirror” Season 5.

“Bandersnatch” is the first “Black Mirror” project to be labeled a “Netflix Film,” even though previous episodes’ runtimes have rivaled that of a feature, with Season 3’s “Hated in the Nation” clocking in at 89 minutes. Oh, and let’s not forget that both Season 3’s “San Junipero” and Season 4’s “U.S.S. Callister” won the Emmy for Outstanding Television Movie.

But seeing as that prize is now out for any small-screen film that comes in under 75 minutes, per the Television Academy’s new rules, here’s hoping “Bandersnatch” comes in above that mark.

Now, there is even more good news here — if we can trust a deleted tweet, that is.

Last month, the verified Netflix-operated account @NXonNetflix tweeted a list of some of the streamer’s series and film launch dates for December, one being (you guessed it) “Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.” And according to that schedule, “Bandersnatch” will launch on Dec. 28. Unfortunately, the tweet was deleted and only survives via screengrabs, like the ones here and here.

At the time, Netflix declined TheWrap’s request for comment on the reported leak and the premiere date for “Black Mirror” Season 5.

However, if “Bandersnatch” — or “Bandersnatch” + Season 5 — is coming this month, it would be right on schedule, as the fourth season of the anthology series debuted on Netflix in the final week of December 2017.

If that’s the case, let’s hope it’s the eagerly-anticipated (but still not confirmed) “Choose Your Own Adventure” episode. And it might be, seeing as the Bandersnatch is a character in Lewis Carroll’s “Through the Looking Glass.” (Yes, you can go nerd-out about that somewhere else now.)
https://www.thewrap.com/black-mirror...ovie-season-5/
Old 12-27-18, 07:51 AM
  #4  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XM0xWpBYlNM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a sprawling fantasy novel into a video game and soon faces a mind-mangling challenge. Welcome back.

Last edited by dex14; 12-27-18 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-27-18, 08:11 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,016
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XM0xWpBYlNM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. In 1984, a young programmer begins to question reality as he adapts a sprawling fantasy novel into a video game and soon faces a mind-mangling challenge. Welcome back.
This looks like it will be a tarantula sting in the balls. Can't wait!
Old 12-27-18, 08:52 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,165
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Superb series. Looking forward to this. My favorite episode so far is probably the Black Museum. I did like the first episode though with the pig as it was so out there.
Old 12-27-18, 08:52 AM
  #7  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Apparently there is 5 hours worth of choose your own path footage on it.
Old 12-27-18, 09:20 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,016
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Apparently there is 5 hours worth of choose your own path footage on it.
There seems to be some debate online as to whether this is or is not going to be the choose your own adventure Black Mirror interactive episode or not. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Old 12-27-18, 09:34 AM
  #9  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
There seems to be some debate online as to whether this is or is not going to be the choose your own adventure Black Mirror interactive episode or not. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
I mean... the trailer is all like “Change your mind… Change your life… Change your past… Your present… Your future” so it kind is hinting like it is. We’ll see. I wonder how it would all work.

This one seems to be directed by David Slade.
Old 12-27-18, 10:03 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,016
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I mean... the trailer is all like “Change your mind… Change your life… Change your past… Your present… Your future” so it kind is hinting like it is. We’ll see. I wonder how it would all work.

This one seems to be directed by David Slade.
I agree with you completely. But there is no official indication it is the choose your own adventure. I hope that it is. I have nothing to do this weekend lol.
Old 12-27-18, 12:54 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,129
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Superb series. Looking forward to this.
Same here.
I kinda stumbled onto this series at the first of the year and couldn't help myself from binging it all.
My favorite episode so far is probably the Black Museum.
The most unforgettable for me is the "U.S.S Callister."
Really smart writing and a great performance by Jesse Plemons.
Old 12-28-18, 02:53 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,178
Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

It IS the “choose your own adventure” story. I’m working through the pathways right now. I started out choosing A or Left each time and
Spoiler:
it booted me back to the beginning of the story.


I might have to come back to it tonight just to try out different pathways.
Old 12-28-18, 09:07 AM
  #13  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

This is amazing.
Old 12-28-18, 11:14 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34,503
Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

I just finished it. There are some dead ends but it brings you back to your "bad decision." And it was cool how it incorporated what you're doing into the episode, even discussing Netfix from the future. Pretty cool and smooth.
Old 12-28-18, 11:48 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 10,043
Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
This is amazing.
Saw this pop up. Would I had to have watched the series at all for this? I saw the first episode and unfortunately I have not revisited it yet.
Old 12-28-18, 12:06 PM
  #16  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Saw this pop up. Would I had to have watched the series at all for this? I saw the first episode and unfortunately I have not revisited it yet.
No.
Old 12-28-18, 12:09 PM
  #17  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I just finished it. There are some dead ends but it brings you back to your "bad decision." And it was cool how it incorporated what you're doing into the episode, even discussing Netfix from the future. Pretty cool and smooth.
How did it end for you? I had to eventually

Spoiler:
kill the dad and chop him. The game was released and then they eventually find out the dad was murdered. Then Netflix reboots the game and it ends with the woman at Netflix.

I though there was maybe an opportunity to go back and save the mom? But I didn’t choose to go with her on the train after I found the rabbit.

I also am not sure about Colin. They don’t seem to revisit it after the girlfriend comes to the house. So is he just missing? Maybe there was more with him that I didn’t see?
Old 12-28-18, 12:28 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,858
Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
How did it end for you? I had to eventually

Spoiler:
kill the dad and chop him. The game was released and then they eventually find out the dad was murdered. Then Netflix reboots the game and it ends with the woman at Netflix.

I though there was maybe an opportunity to go back and save the mom? But I didn’t choose to go with her on the train after I found the rabbit.

I also am not sure about Colin. They don’t seem to revisit it after the girlfriend comes to the house. So is he just missing? Maybe there was more with him that I didn’t see?

You
Spoiler:
are able to go back and save mom. You unlock the safe with the passcode of TOY and takes you back to childhood and you go from there and take the bus with mom. Then there's a separate end credits scene of Colin listening to white noise on his walkman.
Old 12-28-18, 12:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,858
Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

It's a cool concept and I had fun with it. It runs about 90-minutes maybe closer to two hours by the time you finish it all. There's no way that there is 5 hours worth of footage. I'd be here all day.

I liked it enough.
Spoiler:
There should have been some sex in the episode - choose to bang the doctor or something.
Old 12-28-18, 01:47 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,698
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

I enjoyed it. Got what was supposedly the true ending, but I’m looking for more paths.
Old 12-28-18, 03:13 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34,503
Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
It's a cool concept and I had fun with it. It runs about 90-minutes maybe closer to two hours by the time you finish it all. There's no way that there is 5 hours worth of footage. I'd be here all day.
Probably 5 hrs total to include all the paths. Some scenes were filmed twice but only one was played depending on your choice. I know that happened with the cereal.
Old 12-28-18, 03:58 PM
  #22  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,049
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You
Spoiler:
are able to go back and save mom. You unlock the safe with the passcode of TOY and takes you back to childhood and you go from there and take the bus with mom. Then there's a separate end credits scene of Colin listening to white noise on his walkman.
Weird, I had the same path as you but it played out different:

Spoiler:
I opened the safe with the TOY passcode but this did not save mom. The young kid rode the train with her and he died too. I wonder what i did wrong to get a different ending?
Old 12-28-18, 04:01 PM
  #23  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 31,099
Likes: 0
Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Weird, I had the same path as you but it played out different:

Spoiler:
I opened the safe with the TOY passcode but this did not save mom. The young kid rode the train with her and he died too. I wonder what i did wrong to get a different ending?
I read that ending. I have not heard anything about
Spoiler:
saving her.


Do you guys think we should do a separate thread for spoilers on this standalone?
Old 12-28-18, 04:17 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 31,858
Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

In retrospect, I may have blinked or been distracted. You may be right, Groucho.
Old 12-28-18, 08:09 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 22,786
Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Wow ... I may win the prize for shortest experience ...

I pressed play, settled in, and was greeted by a 2 minute montage of “I’m sorry” clips from past episodes as it told me my BluRay player was not compatible. Huh. That sucks.

Should a spoiler filled thread go in TV or in Movies?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.