Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Mirror (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 09:40 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Black Mirror (Netflix) -- Season 3 Thread

Here's a full episode rundown for Black Mirror, season three: episode titles, headlining cast members, and who's directing each episode.

San Junipero (season premiere) - stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Mackenzie Davis, directed by Owen Harris

Shut Up And Dance - stars Jerome Flynn and Alex Lawther, directed by James Watkins

Nosedive - stars Bryce Dallas Howard, Alice Eve and James Norton; directed by Joe Wright

Men Against Fire - stars Michael Kelly, Malachi Kirby and Madeline Brewer; directed by Jakob Verbruggen

Hated in the Nation - stars Kelly MacDonald, directed by James Hawes

Playtest (season finale) - stars Wyatt Russell and Hannah John-Kamen, directed by Dan Trachtenberg.

As previously reported, Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker is onboard as the lead writer for every one of the episodes...except "Nosedive". That one's been written by Parks And Rec's Rashida Jones and Michael Schur, both of whom are apparently big fans of the series (according to IndieWire, Brooker said "the feeling was mutual"). Raise your hand if you saw that coming.

Most of the season's plot details are being kept under wraps, but we do know a bit about a few of them: "Nosedive" is reportedly "a social satire about identity in the social media age", "Hated In The Nation" offers a new take on police procedurals, and "Playtest" is a video game-themed episode.
Old 10-07-16, 10:02 AM

re: Black Mirror -- British anthology series -- Channel 4 / Netflix

Looks like there will be a 4th season: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...or-series-four

Trailer for Season 3

<iframe width="638" height="359" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I-vAp9n8rQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-21-16, 05:49 AM

All 6 Season 3 episodes are up on Netflix.
Old 10-21-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Nosedive was still based on Brooker's story, btw. They just let Jones and Schur do the actual screenplay. I think they were just trying to lure in the US audience with that episode, bait and switch style
Old 10-22-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nosedive made me cringe so many times, in a good way.
Old 10-22-16, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Excellent season, every bit as good as the first two. I think San Junipero was my favorite. In fact, I would recommend saving it for last. The actual last episode, "Hated in the Nation," was among the weaker entries.
My ranking, from favorite to least favorite:
1. San Junipero
2. Shut Up and Dance
3. Nosedive
4. Men Against Fire
5. Playtest
6. Hated in the Nation
Old 10-22-16, 11:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome start, loved the first one, so happy this show is back!
Old 10-22-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

How long until the new season shows up on BBCA? Ever?
Old 10-22-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
How long until the new season shows up on BBCA? Ever?
Unlikely, Netflix bought the rights to the series and now owns it, I don't see it ever showing up on BBCA.
Old 10-22-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Time to borrow a borrowed Netflix account!
Old 10-23-16, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
My ranking, from favorite to least favorite
interesting being I thought Playtest and Nosedive where two of the best eps and San Junipero was right near the bottom.

but then again with each ep being a stand alone it's a given that certain eps will resonate with some viewer more than others. I think all of the stories are very well done so it really just comes down if one digs the theme of a given ep and it's spin on technology.

I had a few issues with season 3 but I'm hesitant to even mention them given the nature of the show. Being even a hint about something can be sort of a spoiler and 1/2 the fun of this show is watching the eps totally blind as to what is going on.

all I know is any time I watch a short run British show I REALLY wish we could get the same sort of season runs on USA tv. Yet no, USA tv is always at least 13 eps and it's almost a given 4 of those are going to be filler like in nature.
Old 10-23-16, 07:44 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Yeah, this stuff will resonate with everyone differently. It's all good.
I think part of the reason I ranked San Junipero so high is because I recently read a book (Calculating God by Robert Sawyer) that had a very similar plot point. And in retrospect I might agree that Nosedive should be ranked higher than Shut Up and Dance. But the reason I bumped it higher is because I've actually had that stray thought of "what if" regarding computer cameras catching us in compromising situations.
Old 10-23-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I will probably start on this series today or tomorrow. If it's going to be like the first 2 series then I will marathon it in a clip.
Old 10-25-16, 04:58 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I watched the first episode of Season 3 last night. A great start that proved to be, once again, a insightful look at how technology has changed society ... and where we could be heading.

There's no way I can binge watch this show -- way too unsettling and I enjoy reflecting a bit on each episode.

Last edited by funkyryno; 10-25-16 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-29-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's good to be back. Knocked out the first 3 episodes. Wow, that first episode was cool but hated the last part - it seemed tacked on, because they had "stars" in on that one. It was weird, because I didn't even recognize Bryce Dallas Howard. She's at least 30 pounds heavier, so she was either pregnant at the time of filming or she had just had the baby before she thinned out. In any event I would have still hit dem guts.

The second episode was all fucking gravy and is currently my favorite, because it was at least fun and had a very Resident Evil (the game) feel to it, with the haunted house on the English countryside and all.

The 3rd episode is currently the most fucked up shit I have seen in a while. Jesusfuckingchrist.

#mindblown

I'll start on the last 3 tomorrow probably.
Old 11-01-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really liked the cinematic styling of the first two episodes, the third episode was interesting because I had just watched the very similar Nerve, albeit this was much more uhm icky. I loved the shout out to BioShock in the Playtest episode.

I'll get to the second half soon, glad there's so much more to go

Last edited by RichC2; 11-01-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-01-16, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just read that Bryce actually gained the 30 lbs on purpose for the episode. It's no coincidence that her last name was "Pound" in the episode.
Old 11-02-16, 07:20 AM

So far I've watched 4... great to have this show back.

I liked the 1st the best so far, the 2nd was also very very good.. I didn't care for ep 3.., ep 4 was cool, and a shot out to Cameron from halt and Catch Fire!
Old 11-02-16, 07:43 AM

Gugu Mbatha-Raw is so gorgeous. I've been obsessed with her ever since I saw Beyond The Lights. I hope she eventually makes it into the Star Wars universe, as it was previously rumored.
Old 11-02-16, 02:46 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

"San Junipero," which as been one of my favorite so far, was a little refreshing as it wasn't as depressing, being as it was a love story. (Although, the more you think about it, the more unsettling the whole premise of the episode was).
Old 11-02-16, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno
"San Junipero," which as been one of my favorite so far, was a little refreshing as it wasn't as depressing, being as it was a love story. (Although, the more you think about it, the more unsettling the whole premise of the episode was).
exactly, which makes this show great.
Old 11-03-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm a big fan of this show but just got a chance to watch the new season last night. I only watched the first episode. This isn't much of a binging show for me, I like to take some time to reflect on each episode.

Some thoughts on season 3/episode 1

Spoiler:
It's good to have the show back in all it's fucked up glory. What I liked about this episode was that is once again showed a future that isn't exactly out of reach. It also showed the positives of why this kind of world would be accepted. If you're not nice to people you will be downvoted and if you're downvoted you'll actually lose out on certain things. It makes it so that the pleasant people are rewarded and the nasty people get their deserved comeuppance. Seems like a good world to me.

Of course, that follows with the depressing negatives of such a society. Where everyone is openly fake and all relationships are flimsy and the goal isn't to really be nice, it's to get upvotes.

My problem with the episode was that they laid everything out too neatly for you. I think if you got rid of the entire scene with the truck driver and the end scene in jail, the episode would have been much better. I also would have liked it if after Lucy's tirade, that she didn't really learn her lesson and that she still needs to wallow in the misery of being a 2.4 or whatever it was. That extra bit of fucked up-ness would have worked better for Black Mirror. Just my opinion.
Old 11-03-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Finished up season 3 and really enjoyed every episode. One of my favorite series on television.

This season ranked:

1. San Junipero
2. Nosedive
3. Hated in the Nation
4. Men Against Fire
5. Shut Up and Dance
6. Playtest
Old 11-05-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I know that Nosedive is more about 'social media ratings' than 'Ebay feedback'. I've run an Ebay business since I was a teen (over 15 years). That was painfully accurate. The ups and downs and the attitude you need to have. And how *that one complaint* can tear it all down. That was all accurate and made me very uncomfortable. Can't stop thinking about it.

South Park had a similarly-themed episode with Cartman terrorizing restaurants with Yelp.
Old 11-06-16, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently watched all three seasons of Black Mirror. Brilliant show. Really topical, and it definitely has a "Twilight Zone" vibe re: the anthology aspect. I'm sure many of us can relate to a lot of these episodes. The obvious "message" in these episodes is the scary over-reliance we have on technology & how this is negatively affecting our lives.

Not going to go into a review of the entire series, just some episodes:

-S01 EP01.....wow, there was some twisted, sickening s$#% that went down here. Very compelling, however.

-The Christmas episode (between Seasons 2 & 3) was fantastic. I could easily see the smooth Don Draper from Mad Men (Jon Hamm) running a "dating service" where he gives advice to guys re: how to dress & score with women - LOL.

The sequence when the various characters were "blocked" & couldn't interact with/see other people reminded me of an episode in the '80's TZ, when people were deemed "pariahs" and were ignored by the rest of society.

-S03, E02: This is set in the future where everyone can see everyone else's "rating" via a eye technology, and where everyone is constantly on their I-phones, etc. hits to home. This is obviously based on Facebook & likes on social media sites. I truly hate FB, have never had an account there, and never will have an account.

I also hate weddings, since people act so fake (at all the ones I've been to). The woman's "friend" who was getting married was a truly horrible, manipulative person. So, I was amused when the main character went off on this friend, thereby shocking the audience.

The final scene - when the woman & the guy were cussing each other out from the jail cells was HILARIOUS - I liked how they were so over the top insulting to each other, and how it was obviously a catharsis for both of them.

-San Junipero, S3: One of the most poignant episodes of any TV series I've ever seen. This was definitely relatable to me due to both the partial '80's setting (I'm an '80's kid & a huge fan of that era) & the nursing home aspect: I have had (and still have) relatives in nursing homes, and understand how difficult an existence that is - i.e. being in such bad physical shape that you can't take care of yourself, etc. So, having technology available to you where you can "escape" that disheartening existence by going into a fantasy world where you're young & vibrant & where life is a never-ending party is extremely attractive.

The love story/relationship between the two main characters was quite touching; I'm not a huge fan of love stories in films/TV series, but this was very effectively done here.

Amazing '80's soundtrack as well, including INXS, Belinda C., Robert Palmer, OMD, etc.

One of my favorite scenes was when the young woman was trying to figure out what to wear to the club, and stood in front of the mirror trying on various outfits, while playing different '80's songs on her cassette deck; each specific song correlated to the outfit she was wearing - very nostalgic.

This is an episode I've already seen twice, and will probably re-re-watch again soon at some point - it was that good.

- S03, E04: This was the episode where the military got implants so that they were seeing "the enemy" as horrible monsters/aliens, but they were actually normal humans. Excellent, and obviously a metaphor for the way that "the enemy" in any given situation is demonized by the news media, in order to make it "easier" for them to be seen as sub-human.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.