DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Good Omens (Amazon) -- C: Neil Gaiman, S: David Tennant, Michael Sheen -- premieres 5/31/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647752-good-omens-amazon-c-neil-gaiman-s-david-tennant-michael-sheen-premieres-5-31-19-a.html)

dex14 05-28-19 08:32 AM

Good Omens (Amazon) -- C: Neil Gaiman, S: David Tennant, Michael Sheen -- premieres 5/31/19

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...08db32cc12.jpg

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2ZSXlNRRoGU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hUJoR4vlIIs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With Armageddon just days away, the armies of Heaven and Hell are amassing and The Four Horsemen are ready to ride. Aziraphale, an angel, and Crowley, a demon, agree to join forces to find the missing Anti-Christ and to stop the war that will end everything. Based on the best-selling novel by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good Omens follows an unlikely duo and their quest to save the world. New Series premiere May 31, 2019.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adria Arjona as Anathema Device
· Alfie Taylor as Wensleydale
· Amma Ris as Pepper
· Anna Maxwell Martin as Beelzebub
· Ariyon Bakare as Duke of Hell Ligur
· Brian Cox as Death
· Daniel Mays as Arthur Young
· David Morrissey as Captain Vincent
· David Tennant as Crowley
· Frances McDormand as God
· Ilan Galkoff as Brian
· Jack Whitehall as Newton Pulsifer
· Jon Hamm as Gabriel
· Lourdes Faberes as Horsemen of the Apocalypse
· Michael McKean as Sergeant Shadwell
· Michael Sheen as Aziraphale
· Miranda Richardson as Madame Tracy
· Mireille Enos as Horsemen of the Apocalypse
· Ned Dennehy as Duke of Hell Hastur
· Nick Offerman as U.S. Ambassador
· Nina Sosanya as Sister Mary Loquacious of the Chattering Order of St Beryl
· Sam Taylor Buck as Adam Young
· Sian Brooke as Deidre Young
· Yusuf Gatewood as Horsemen of the Apocalypse

CREW INFORMATION:
· Caroline Skinner as EP
· Chris Sussman as EP
· Neil Gaiman as BOOK/CRTR/EP
· Rob Wilkins as EP
· Rod Brown as EP
· Terry Pratchett as BOOK
Six episode first season.

stingo 05-28-19 09:01 AM

Re: Good Omens (Amazon) -- C: Neil Gaiman, S: David Tennant, Michael Sheen -- premieres 5/31/19

Super excited about this show. Read the book twice and am very interested to see how they've adapted it. The trailers look and sound really good. Fingers crossed.

RichC2 05-28-19 09:13 AM

Re: Good Omens (Amazon) -- C: Neil Gaiman, S: David Tennant, Michael Sheen -- premieres 5/31/19

There's something about the look of the ads that I don't like, but I love this book so I'll give it a shot.

melasnus 05-28-19 09:33 AM

Don't know about the book, but the trailers look good.
Definitely will give it a go. :)

dex14 05-28-19 12:12 PM

Outside of the two leads, the supporting cast looks exciting as well.

Eric F 05-29-19 03:50 PM

Read it when it came out like 13yrs ago. I don't remember much other than I liked it.

Neil Gaiman is pretty cool, when Books of Magic was running I corresponded with him (probably through DC or direct (must have been snail mail)) and he would respond on funky postcards from London (wish I had kept them). Now I feel obligated to read all his stuff. Peter David was one of those other guys who responded to me directly- I really got a kick out of that.

Series comes out in a couple of days, looking forward to it.

Michael Corvin 05-29-19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 13557407)
Read it when it came out like 13yrs ago.

:hscratch:

Closer to 30.

Eric F 05-30-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13557564)
:hscratch:

Closer to 30.

Probably why I don’t remember. Must have been a reprint that listed 13.

dex14 05-30-19 08:02 PM

This is up now. Early.

melasnus 05-30-19 11:52 PM

Dropped early on the West Coast.
I hope it lives up to the trailer...-popcorn-

Tom Banjo 06-01-19 07:41 AM

3 episodes in, and I like it a lot so far. Will try to finish tonight. The dialogue early in episode 3 really stood out to me as a brilliant knock on humanity and religion during the scenes involving
Spoiler:
Noah’s Ark and the Crucifixion.

Dan1boy 06-01-19 12:59 PM

Wifey and I absolutely loved the first episode. The wait was worth it for sure! Amazing chemistry, crisp and funny dialogue and well edited.

The Valeyard 06-01-19 07:42 PM

Two episodes in and I'm finding it pretty MEH.

dex14 06-01-19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13559080)
Two episodes in and I'm finding it pretty MEH.

Yea. I’m two in as well and feel the same. I wouldn’t call it bad, but I don’t think this is my sort of thing.

Jay G. 06-01-19 11:23 PM

As a fan of the book, I'm maybe a bit biased, but I enjoyed it. My wife (who has a copy of the book signed by both Gaiman and Pratchett) was much more excited by it though.

I wonder if its faithfulness is maybe a bit of a detraction for those who hadn't read the book. The book can be a bit meandering, going off on tangents a lot, and while this works in a book, and I personally loved seeing (nearly) everything from the book on screen, it's maybe a bit overstuffed as a TV series.

I think the pre-title sequence of Episode 3 is the best though, and is really mostly all-new material for the show.

TheBigDave 06-02-19 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13559147)
I wonder if its faithfulness is maybe a bit of a detraction for those who hadn't read the book. The book can be a bit meandering, going off on tangents a lot, and while this works in a book, and I personally loved seeing (nearly) everything from the book on screen, it's maybe a bit overstuffed as a TV series.

I haven't read the book, but I just finished the show. I agree with your assessment. It felt very self-indulgent. Like they couldn't bare to leave anything on the cutting room floor. It would have worked much better if they condensed it down to 3-4 episodes. Or maybe if it was a Terry Gilliam movie. But I'm sure the book's fans would have been upset to see so much left out.

Jay G. 06-02-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 13559259)
I haven't read the book, but I just finished the show. I agree with your assessment. It felt very self-indulgent. Like they couldn't bare to leave anything on the cutting room floor. It would have worked much better if they condensed it down to 3-4 episodes. Or maybe if it was a Terry Gilliam movie. But I'm sure the book's fans would have been upset to see so much left out.

It very nearly was a Terry Gilliam movie:
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a27645...to-the-screen/

[Neil Gamain said] "Terry Gilliam tried to get it made – he put it together with Robin Williams and Johnny Depp to play Aziraphale and Crowley, and a fantastic cast, had all his funding in place, needed a big Hollywood studio to step up... and then 9/11 happened."

"He went out to Hollywood expecting to choose between which major studio... but nobody was interested in a funny thing about the end of the world."

It was Gilliam who eventually suggested that Good Omens might work better as a television series, but Gaiman and Pratchett struggled to find the right writer for the project.
A bit more on the Gilliam angle, they had sent him a proof of the book before it had even been released:
https://www.thewrap.com/good-omens-m...n-neil-gaiman/

Gaiman added that they thought so highly of Gilliam they even sent a proof of the novel to him so he could write a blurb for the published copy. And in a comedic twist that could’ve been in “Monty Python’s Flying Circus,” Gilliam got the book, but he had no idea why, because the accompanying note from Gaiman was lost.

“He just thought someone had sent it to him as a potential thing to film, and he read it and fell in love,” Gaiman continues. “The next thing I knew, Terry Pratchett and I are meeting Terry Gilliam in the Groucho Club … he was like ‘I want to make this movie.'”

Getting “Good Omens” to the screen has been a long, winding road for Gaiman — along with Gilliam, fellow Monty Python member Terry Jones also tried to shepherd an adaptation, to no success.
I've also heard Gaiman tell horror stories of other pitches for adaptations, such as one where a major movie studio wanted to film it, but wanted to move the setting to the US, make Adam a teen hearthrob, and just basically miss the point of the book entirely. I think they even wanted to dial down the humor?

As someone who read the book in the mid 90s and has been waiting 20+ years for an adaptation, getting glimpses of the pre-production hell along the way, this turned out far better than I reasonably expected. It's also the best adaptation of a Pratchett work so far (all, maddening enough, TV instead of film). However, I still pine after the idea of that Gilliam adaptation, and I would've accepted losing more from the book if the adaptation had been just a little bit sharper, more focused, and better paced. Still, while not perfect, the show is very good, and I'm happy that this is the version that we got.

Troy Stiffler 06-02-19 11:23 AM

I’m on episode two. Not great. But enjoyable. I felt the same way about The Tick.

Netflix and Amazon should spend a little more time perfecting their series. They are funding these unique project that just don’t quite work.

Does this have any creative connection to Hitchhikers Guide? The humor and narration made me think of it immediately.

Eric F 06-02-19 11:31 AM

Anyone notice the show was shot at 25fps? So I assume it was all shot digitally?

Jay G. 06-02-19 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13559279)
Does this have any creative connection to Hitchhikers Guide? The humor and narration made me think of it immediately.

Not directly. Neil Gaiman wrote a book about Douglas Adams in the late 80s and credits Adams with inspiring him to become a writer and starting Good Omens:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-writer-genius

“I spent a lot of time with Douglas and wrote in a style which was clean, funny, classic English humour. By the time I got to the end I said, this is really fun to write, I should do more of this. So I wrote 5,000 words and sent it to friends to read. One was Terry Pratchett, who phoned me back, eight months later, and said ‘you know that thing, are you doing anything with that?’”
The book has been compared to Hitchhiker's Guide for decades.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...1a63d32f47.png

Terry Pratchett has been described as the "fantasy Douglas Adams" since his first Discworld novel.

Eric F 06-02-19 01:25 PM

It’s amazing to me how much Adria Arjuna looks like a young Jami Gertz here.

I finished it. It was OK, thought the last episode dragged on too long. Reminds me of all the Terry Pratchett Discworld movies.

stingo 06-03-19 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 13559259)

The book was the same way, though more so. I understand the higher ups did not want Agnes Nutter in the series, but Gaiman insisted.

stingo 06-03-19 07:33 AM

I liked the series, though I had one niggling question. Did I miss it, or did they mention
Spoiler:
what happened to the extra baby
?

Jay G. 06-03-19 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by stingo (Post 13559566)
I liked the series, though I had one niggling question. Did I miss it, or did they mention
Spoiler:
what happened to the extra baby
?

Not in the TV show, no. That question is answered in the novel.

Originally Posted by stingo (Post 13559564)
I understand the higher ups did not want Agnes Nutter in the series, but Gaiman insisted.

The TV show was always going to tell the story of Agnes Nutter, what was in question was how to tell it.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/neil-gaiman-...ett-1834788821

"It was a huge, complicated and incredibly expensive shoot, with bonfires built and primed to explode as well as huge crowds in costumes. It had to feel just like an English village in the 1640s, and of course everyone asked if there was a cheap way of doing it. One suggestion was that we could tell the story using old-fashioned woodcuts and have the narrator take us through what happened, but I just thought, ‘No’. Because I had brought aspects of the story like Crowley and the baby swap along to the mix, and Terry created Agnes Nutter.

So, if I had cut out Agnes then I wouldn’t be doing right by the person who gave me this job. Terry would’ve rolled over in his grave."

stingo 06-03-19 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 13559573)
Not in the TV show, no. That question is answered in the novel.

I know re: the novel. I was just wondering if I missed it in the show. Apparently not.

As for Ms. Nutter, I can see them wanting to limit the costs, but I very much enjoyed the way did it.