Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 14 Thread -- premieres 5/28/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 14 Thread -- premieres 5/28/19

Penn and Teller did a bit on mentalism about a month back on Fool Us. Penn despises it with a white hot passion so they decided to reveal how two team acts do it. Essentially it's nothing more than the front man giving a tell to the mentalist.

So if they tell Howie to choose a color marble out of a box, and Simon to write down of a number between 1 and 10. So when the "mentalism" begins front man starts tossing key words into his dialog to tell the mentalist what they chose. It's nothing more than a key that has been memorized.

Something like:
Wonderful = red
Delightful = blue
funny man = green
bald one = orange

amazing = 1
talented = 2
America's host = 3

and so on. So the front man goes to Howie and tells the mentalist "the wonderful Howie was thinking of a color" can you tell us what it was?" Then over to Simon, "the amazing Simon was thinking of a number, what was it?"

So red, 1.

Penn & Teller did it with playing cards, but that's the general idea. There are some things they pull off that I haven't figured out, but it was pretty interesting watch these acts work after watching that.
Old 08-22-19, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm finally up the Greg Morton episode. We watched about half that episode. I loved his Pac-Man suit but yeah, that was just bad. It's even worse that the judges are fawning all over his mediocre, at best, "talent." I can do an average Kermit and Donald Duck similar to Morton. It's limited to one line much like Morton. Speaking a line or two "in character" isn't a skill. It's good to get a smile out of a small child. What he needs to do is to create an act around it. Have Darth Vader discussing ruling the galaxy with Miss Piggy who'd rather rule it more. Then have Keanu Reeves come in to break up the party. Just anything other than simply reciting a line that panders to our memory and love of classic movies.

Also, after watching half this episode, I wouldn't put any of these acts through in any other season. The show is reveling in mediocrity this year.
Old 08-22-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm finally up the Greg Morton episode. We watched about half that episode. I loved his Pac-Man suit but yeah, that was just bad. It's even worse that the judges are fawning all over his mediocre, at best, "talent." I can do an average Kermit and Donald Duck similar to Morton. It's limited to one line much like Morton. Speaking a line or two "in character" isn't a skill. It's good to get a smile out of a small child. What he needs to do is to create an act around it. Have Darth Vader discussing ruling the galaxy with Miss Piggy who'd rather rule it more. Then have Keanu Reeves come in to break up the party. Just anything other than simply reciting a line that panders to our memory and love of classic movies.
I agree with you, but, obviously, it works for more than just small children as it's gotten him this far on the show. Of course, he's only gotten this far in his career as an act, -and there's a reason. A better constructed act would be great, but it would also expose his weaknesses. We've both said it, -his act is more about evoking nostalgia (for lack of a better word), than appreciating his "skill".

Last edited by DWilson; 08-22-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-22-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I guess the man mentalist was giving the wrong code word to his patner ofr the bubble gum flavor.
Each candy must have had someting written on the wrapper to inform him what the flavor was.
He grabbed the paper quickly for each one.

Not sure what was going on with Hough's candy.
I guess the woman wasnt understanding his code word.
That shouldnt take more then a minute to make a guess.

Maybe iif the knife throwers did their act as a comedy bit it would have worked, it was pretty funny as they performed.

The little girl singing the Bond song was brutal and Simon called that one correctly.
Old 09-01-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Until this week’s episode, I had no idea that Benicio Bryant was a boy. I thought that was a girl this whole time.
The name should obviously give it away, but I guess I never caught or paid attention to his actual name before.
Old 09-02-19, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Until this week’s episode, I had no idea that Benicio Bryant was a boy. I thought that was a girl this whole time.
The name should obviously give it away, but I guess I never caught or paid attention to his actual name before.
Thank you. I've been wanting to post the very same thing, but I was afraid maybe it was "just me".
Old 09-02-19, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you. My daughter was ripping to me to shreds when i didn't know he was a boy either until this past episode.
Old 09-04-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if I mis-read the situation, but it seems like the director screwed the magician's illusion by focusing on his hand at the end and then panning down for the reveal, -we didn't see it suddenly appear on camera, they just tilted down and it was there. Or perhaps that was as it was intended, but it seemed kind of an anti-climax. Maybe it's just me...
I realize the kid violinist is very talented but I really found the production on his number grating; I couldn't wait for it to end.

Last edited by DWilson; 09-04-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-04-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure why I keep watching (well, I do know why, bonding time with my daughter who will soon be off to college), but there's no way that Kodi doesn't win this thing. I thought after last week he might be vulnerable, but he crushed it last night. Maybe i'm extremely biased because i have a son with autism (not nearly as bad as Kodi), but I don't know how can not vote for him. Amazing talent.
Old 09-04-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Did Disney actually sign off on those Lightwave(?) kids using Marvel characters?

Does Howie actually want them to get a long running Vegas show? Because the actual winning prize is only a 4-day show in Vegas.
Old 09-04-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn’t know he was a boy either

i just watched the voice guy and I don’t think he’s good at all.
Just a joke to be this far on this show really.
Old 09-04-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that magic trick was confusing as heck.
They never showed the trick.

One thing that you can see clearly is when he pulls the Liberty card off the table he thumbs the toy off the end of the table and holds it to the back of the card until he flips it over.

the other stuff was terrible camera work.

Last edited by whotony; 09-04-19 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-04-19, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Yeah, the camera work definitely botched the big reveal. Don't they rehearse this stuff ahead of time?

I suspect that trick was dependent on not being able to watch the table close-up while he's distracting us with the card and mini statue of liberty.
Old 09-29-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finally finished the season. I am pleased with the result. Overall it was a pretty weak season, BUT it did make for a pretty level playing field for the finals. I think Kodi was the closest to a shoo-in.

So going into the final I had:

Top 5:
1. Kodi Lee - just an amazing talent and makes you realize science has barely scratched the surface on the human brain. This kid is amazing.
2. Emanne Beasha - hands down the most talented singer of the whole season but 'Murica! No opera for you!
3. Ndlovu - their semi-final performance was incredible and combined with their finals performance... these kids are ready for a Vegas stage. Plus the African influences sets them apart from everyone else.
4. Ryan Niemiller - one of the rare times where a comedian has been so consistent throughout and had no missteps.
5. V Unbeatable - like Ndlovu, they're ready for a stage show. Just fun to watch.

Bottom 5:
6. Detroit Youth Choir - Kids have talent, no doubt, but they just fell short for me compared to Ndlovu.
7. Light Balance Kids - I think their finals performance with Paula Abdul was better than the semi-finals. Still very entertaining.
8. Voices of Service - was never really sold on these guys and gal. They're alright, but I'd have sent them home before the finale.
9. Tyler Butler Figueroa - like VoS, he's talented but was outmatched in the finals. He also sounded off key in the finals performance.
10. Benicio Bryant - Okay, but like the above two, I think I might have gone with a few others for the final.

My replacements for 8, 9, & 10 would have been Berywam (beat box group), Marcin Patrzalek (young instrumental guitarist), and probably Chris Klafford (Norwegian singer songwriter).

Final thoughts:
Terry Crews was amazing. Still not quite as good as Nick in terms of interacting with contestants but way better than Tyra Banks. Gabrielle Union grew on me. She is a ball of fire. She's very passionate and emotional with her comments and speaking to the acts. I never warmed to Julianne Hough. It seemed like she was always fumbling for the right thing to say.
Old 09-29-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you guys see that Heidi Klum and a woman who's a judge on the British version will be the two female judges for the next Champions season? I wonder if that means Hough and Union won't be back next summer.
Old 09-29-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I liked Union and Hough, I hope they stick around.
Old 11-22-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Union and Hough, I hope they stick around.
Sorry, they won't be back. Simon and Howie will be be next summer. No word on other judges.
Old 11-22-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Good riddance. Hopefully they take the search seriously this time. I have to watch this with the wife and those judges were completely worthless last season.
Old 11-23-19, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Good riddance. Hopefully they take the search seriously this time. I have to watch this with the wife and those judges were completely worthless last season.
Union never had any kind of chemistry with the other judges and Hough, -who had some charm when she first started performing, -has just gotten a little weird, and off-putting, and full of herself over the years.
Old 11-23-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Sucks Hough is out.

Could Sharon Osbourne or Klum return?

I hope they don't get that girl from the Pussycat Dolls and the Masked Singer.
Old 11-23-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Paula Abdul and Margaret Cho.
Old 11-23-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Could Sharon Osbourne or Klum return?
Klum is doing the AGT: The Champions in 2020, so I don't see why they wouldn't want her back. I'm sure Mel B would jump at the chance to come back if they want her. They'll probably want to keep the show "fresh" though and bring in some new people.
Old 11-23-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
They'll probably want to keep the show "fresh" though and bring in some new people.
How about they do something crazy like bringing in someone willing and capable of doing some actual judging instead of mindlessly heaping empty praise over every act.
Old 11-24-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hough was even more vapid than Klum. Not gonna miss her. I thought Union finally grew into judging by the end of the season.
Old 11-24-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Hough was even more vapid than Klum. Not gonna miss her. I thought Union finally grew into judging by the end of the season.
Agree Klum was was an empty gown and I was glad to see her go. Scary Spice - as much as I can't stand her as a person - at least had a take now and then even if I disagreed with most of them. Even Simon has gone heavy with the platitudes and doesn't really add a lot any more. Howie is far and away the only one who seems to understand why they are there. They desperately need two more Howies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.