TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones: The Last Watch -- HBO documentary -- premieres 5/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones: The Last Watch -- HBO documentary -- premieres 5/26/19

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I'm slightly more interested in viewing this now after reading the comments in this thread. Would much rather learn about the guy who spread the show then listen to David Benioff and D. B. Weiss jerk off into the camera for 90 minutes explaining all the hard work they put into ruining the show.
Those two pig dicks are barely in this, but when they are you will want to punch the screen.

Also thought it was funny how prominent the coffee cart is featured.
Old 05-28-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It was too long. It wasn't a documentary as much as it was just video of behind-the-scenes stuff that was slapped together for a presentation. Documentaries have a theme and a driving tone and pacing to them. This was just a bunch of footage - I got bored with it.
Well it's a tad unfocused and it won't win any Oscars but the point is that it ain't your usual "making of", which is what some were expecting. And that's fine by me.
Old 05-30-19, 05:44 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I watched it. I think there was an interesting documentary in there somewhere buried under some really poor editing.
Agree!

There were some nice moments captured but no overall story that linked everything together other than 'its Season 8 and its the biggest yet and we all are so tired of this but we are still gonna miss it'

While this was clearly true, there were also great scenes that pointed out the unique craziness of show business through the stuntman turned actor playing the Night King who the fans in Spain were still able to recognize and the fanboy extra who had been working on the show for years who finally reached nirvana by offering Kit Harington his crew jacket and actually being acknowledge and remembered by him! (Shivers!) I loved the credits sequence that later showed him leading GOT tours of the sets now that his career had ended!

Some clear misses were the scenes focusing on the makeup crew who IMHO 'selfishly' and naively outbid others to win the makeup work on the show without even having enough crew and supplies to do the work after they they were awarded the job. I felt no sympathy for her or her daughter who she abandoned out of her own greed. And her constant complaining about having to wait the long hours to hear if things had been wrapped. Wow, pretty ungrateful considering how many other shops out there would have killed for that work.

I also didn't enjoy much of the scenes centering around Bernie Caulfield who is widely respected as the true force who pulled the show together, or David Nutter who though he is also widely respected came across as being aloof and eccentric and sort of sad. These two people are both incredibly successful and must have some fascinating things to say but this documentary just made them come across as boring.

Or course whenever the actors were on screen it only made you want to see more of them. It was fascinating to watch the table read even if just to take note of who was seated next to who. And Kit Harington's widely report emotional breakdown is completely overblown. He clearly was surprised and moved but not more than that. It would have been nice to see more of the other actors 'out of character' but as others pointed out that wasn't the point of this documentary.