Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones: The Last Watch -- HBO documentary -- premieres 5/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-19, 01:46 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Game of Thrones: The Last Watch -- HBO documentary -- premieres 5/26/19

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9K7c0jXkaGc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
From director Jeanie Finlay, a farewell to Westeros with the people who built the realm.

The Last Watch, a two-hour documentary, premieres May 26 on HBO.
Old 05-26-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones: The Last Watch -- HBO documentary -- premieres 5/26/19

I'll be watching this later tonight. But I don't know if there will be many here chiming in to talk about a 2 hour behind the scenes documentary.
Old 05-26-19, 07:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

i can finally take a Sunday off and not watch something in "real" time. i'll dvr it and watch whenever...
Old 05-26-19, 07:17 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

We can all talk about how much of a dweeb Kit is for crying at the table read.
Old 05-26-19, 08:14 PM

You would too if you saw the garbage that he must have saw on the pages!
Old 05-26-19, 09:01 PM

Wow! Talk about bitter. I watched some minutes and everyone seemed pissed off with this last season. Cast and crew alike.
Old 05-26-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

We finally saw the battle of Winterfell!

Actually that was pretty good. I like that they focused on the "little people" it takes to make a show like this. The extras, the food truck lady, etc... The Night King guy was funny. A little too thick on the melodrama though. I mean I get that you miss your daughter but geez, do we really need to see a video call for 2 min?
Old 05-27-19, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

What a terrible waste of time that was. I don't care what sandwiches actors ordered, or what some really small part actor was feeling. I thought this would really be about the main cast and how they were preparing. The parts about Emelia were good but very sparse. The Knight King "actor" was terrible.
I think the Geller family video had more insight when Ross was trying to help Rachel get a date on prom night.
Old 05-27-19, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I thought it was fantastic and way exceeded any expectations I had for it.
Old 05-27-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Don't forget this is a documentary, not a making-of. You'll have plenty of the later on the disc special features. Plus I've already seen a zillion interviews with the main cast. In a documentary, I like another approach, show me stuff I woudn't usually see in the making-of type stuff.
Old 05-27-19, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked it. It was different. I liked that this film gave some love to many of those who are behind the cameras. The show is such a massive undertaking and so many people need to be on the same page.

And if you watch the show via HBOGo or HBONow, there is already a pretty detailed behind the scenes documentary on the making of the episodes. So I’m glad this film wasn’t redundant.

i always find the table reads interesting and it was interesting seeing how emotional everyone got during the reading of Varys and Daenerys’ deaths.

Old 05-27-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I liked it. It was different. I liked that this film gave some love to many of those who are behind the cameras. The show is such a massive undertaking and so many people need to be on the same page.

And if you watch the show via HBOGo or HBONow, there is already a pretty detailed behind the scenes documentary on the making of the episodes. So I’m glad this film wasn’t redundant.

i always find the table reads interesting and it was interesting seeing how emotional everyone got during the reading of Varys and Daenerys’ deaths.

Good interview with Emilia Clarke in latest Entertainment Weekly where she was saying Kit Harrington never reads the script before the table read so on camera there was the first time he found out that he killed her.
Old 05-27-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

This documentary seemed rushed to me. They should have spread it out over 4 or 5 episodes so that we really got to know these people. The makeup lady was so happy to be there and then suddenly turned. Ridiculous.I'm petitioning HBO to re-shoot this documentary but do it right this time.
Old 05-27-19, 10:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Old 05-27-19, 11:35 AM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Tweet that, I guarantee you'll trend!
Old 05-27-19, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the time we got to the 2nd hour I'd already lost interest. I occasionally looked up if something caught my eye. The paper snow with the sign not to drive on it was interesting and how they only put the paper snow down that was going to be in the shot. But yeah I was looking more for the main cast and their reactions and not that the director needed 2 maids twice a week to keep his apt. clean. I mean who cares about crap like that.
Old 05-27-19, 12:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I only halfway watched as I was falling asleep, but I thought it looked great and am anxious to watch it fully someday. Catching up with those behind the scenes people is much more interesting to me than the stars that have heavy exposure already.
Old 05-27-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

They did talk a little to David Nutter, who is a director on the series, and apparently he's had some health issues recently. Someone referenced that he walks like a penguin. He doesn't look like he's in the best of shape and he said he's had some back issues and surgeries.

If you don't know who Nutter is, he's usually the guy Warner Brothers hires to direct a lot of their big Fall Pilots. He directed the Pilots for Arrow, The Flash, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Smallville, Without a Trace. That is until he got hired on Game of Thrones.
Old 05-27-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by barelypure
By the time we got to the 2nd hour I'd already lost interest. I occasionally looked up if something caught my eye. The paper snow with the sign not to drive on it was interesting and how they only put the paper snow down that was going to be in the shot. But yeah I was looking more for the main cast and their reactions and not that the director needed 2 maids twice a week to keep his apt. clean. I mean who cares about crap like that.
If you're looking for more technical aspects on the show and interviews with the stars and Weiss/Benioff, just watch the behind the scenes documentaries that I mentioned in the extras section on HBO Go/HBO Now.

This film was giving a broader approach to the series and showing us others who don't get that kind of exposure. Thousands of people work on this series including the extras and actors who you don't see their actual faces like The Night King. I mean if you really don't care about those people, then sorry you feel that way.

Old 05-28-19, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Don't forget this is a documentary, not a making-of. You'll have plenty of the later on the disc special features. Plus I've already seen a zillion interviews with the main cast. In a documentary, I like another approach, show me stuff I woudn't usually see in the making-of type stuff.
It was too long. It wasn't a documentary as much as it was just video of behind-the-scenes stuff that was slapped together for a presentation. Documentaries have a theme and a driving tone and pacing to them. This was just a bunch of footage - I got bored with it.
Old 05-28-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
This documentary seemed rushed to me. They should have spread it out over 4 or 5 episodes so that we really got to know these people. The makeup lady was so happy to be there and then suddenly turned. Ridiculous.I'm petitioning HBO to re-shoot this documentary but do it right this time.
Nah, this documentary was perfect. I have a very small attention span and I prefer things as simple and straight forward as possible. Details and logic? Lame! I don't want to do any thinking, just give me action! Complex and elaborate stories are for nerds.
Old 05-28-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

During the Battle of Winterfell part, one of the extras says something like “I can’t wait to see what this looks like on TV.”

Yeah, us too bud, us too.

This is was a good reminder that actors, or artists as I’m sure they prefer to be called, are largely insufferable.

Great show about a crazy Irish local and a guy who spreads snow around movie sets. Otherwise, this was as insubstantial as they come.
Old 05-28-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

I watched it. I think there was an interesting documentary in there somewhere buried under some really poor editing.
Old 05-28-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

One thing I did notice about this film was the non-linear editing. I felt like they did jump around from various points in the making of the final season too much.
Old 05-28-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm slightly more interested in viewing this now after reading the comments in this thread. Would much rather learn about the guy who spread the show then listen to David Benioff and D. B. Weiss jerk off into the camera for 90 minutes explaining all the hard work they put into ruining the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.