Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Elementary (CBS) -- Season 7 -- The Final Season Thead -- premieres 5/23/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-23-19, 07:01 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yWOhB8JKIB0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ELEMENTARY begins its farewell season Thursday, May 23 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT). In season seven, Holmes (Jonny Lee Miller) and Watson’s (Lucy Liu) new careers as consultants for Scotland Yard are disrupted by news that a member of their inner circle has been gravely wounded in the United States. As Holmes’ stateside legal trouble – the result of a confession to a murder he didn’t commit – threatens to keep them from returning to New York, their greatest foe to date, tech billionaire Odin Reichenbach (James Frain), waits on the horizon to test their limits.
HOLMES AND WATSON'S NEW CAREERS AS CONSULTANTS FOR SCOTLAND YARD IN LONDON TAKE THEM INSIDE THE TABLOID JOURNALISM INDUSTRY, ON THE SEVENTH SEASON PREMIERE OF "ELEMENTARY," THURSDAY, MAY 23

Ophelia Lovibond Returns as Kitty Winter, Sherlock's Former Protégé

"The Further Adventures" - Holmes and Watson's new careers as consultants for Scotland Yard in London take them inside the tabloid journalism industry when a popular model is the victim of an acid attack. Also, as Watson grows increasingly homesick for New York, Captain Gregson is wracked with guilt over his unresolved rift with his former consultants, on the seventh season premiere of ELEMENTARY, Thursday, May 23 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network. Ophelia Lovibond returns as Kitty Winter, Sherlock's former protégé.

REGULAR CAST:

Jonny Lee Miller (Sherlock Holmes)
Lucy Liu (Joan Watson)
Aidan Quinn (Captain Tommy Gregson)
Jon Michael Hill (Detective Marcus Bell)
James Frain (Odin Reichenbach)

RECURRING CAST:

Ophelia Lovibond (Kitty Winter)

GUEST CAST:

Tamsin Greig (DCI Athelney Jones)
Ravi Kapoor (Dr. Garret Halsey)
Saffron Burrows (Ruby Carville)
Maritz Veer (Lola Quinn)
Jamie Thomas King (Derek Casey)
Danny Schwarz (Chip)
Dave Shalansky (Tony)
Federico Dordei (Beppo)
Tara Summers (Nurse)
Tom Vickers (Moped Man)
Harry Smith (Reporter #1)
Ian Harkins (Reporter #2)

WRITTEN BY: Robert Doherty & Jason Tracey

DIRECTED BY: Christine Moore
13 episode final season.

Old 05-23-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: Elementary (CBS) -- Season 7 -- The Final Season Thead -- premieres 5/23/19

I'm always leery of these short-order final seasons. What happens is that most of the prime creative staff behind the scenes have already left, looking for more stable jobs with ongoing shows.
Old 05-23-19, 02:49 PM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts

I'm in until the end.
Old 05-23-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I'm in until the end.
Same here. Glad this is starting up. Not much to watch recently with everything closing out for the season.
Old 05-24-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 980 Likes on 608 Posts

Episode 701:

The mystery in this episode wasn't that compelling. Heck, the opening sequence with the thief breaking into Sherlock's place was more interesting than the main mystery. But this episode seemed to mostly be about setting the stage for the rest of the season: the ongoing conflict between Sherlock and Captain Gregson back in NY, the tension between Joan and the London PD, and Joan's overall dissatisfaction living in London, and then the final scene with the phone call from Bell.

Some random thoughts:

Ugh, Joan, ditch the blonde hair. And for god's sake don't sleep with that cabana boy named Chip.

Kitty! Nice to see her back. I hope she's in some more episodes this season.

Saffron Burrows! I've always liked her, and always wanted to see her more often. Not much screen time here, but it was welcome.
Old 05-31-19, 09:37 AM

Great ep last night... the pieces are starting to fall in place.

This season is hitting its stride early.
Old 05-31-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, good episode. Looks like this possible terror cell will be the throughline for the season.
Old 06-01-19, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
The mystery in this episode wasn't that compelling. Heck, the opening sequence with the thief breaking into Sherlock's place was more interesting than the main mystery.
The opening sequence is based on one of the original Sherlock Holmes short stories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ad..._Six_Napoleons

The TV show Sherlock also used the story in one of their episodes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Six_Thatchers
Old 06-02-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Cool--thanks! Now that you mention it, I do remember that episode of Sherlock with the Thatcher busts.
Old 06-06-19, 09:04 PM

“The Price of Admission” – Holmes takes extreme measures to secure his return to New York when he leans on his father’s disreputable connections to aid his legal re-entry into the United States. Also, while Holmes looks for a way back to the United States, Watson helps the NYPD investigate a murder at a storage facility that caters to wealthy clients with items they want hidden from U.S. Customs, on ELEMENTARY, Thursday, June 6 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.
Here’s this week’s synopsis.
Old 07-27-19, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Not much talk since the premiere. Any impressions of the season arc concerning Odin Reichenbach? I feel like they gave him that name just so they could use "Reichenbach Falls" as a pun later on.

Regarding the latest episode, "The Latest Model", I freaked my wife out by predicting that the model apartment had a secret entrance from the courtyard moments before the discovery.

Also, anyone else think that Conrad's murder-suicide was staged? I think someone who knows about Reichenbach's system has started gaming it. Think about it: If you were able to mark anyone you wanted as a threat to be eliminated in Reichenbach's system, they'd then be eliminated with no real inquiry, just the digital data, by one of a group of assassins that are insanely loyal, because they're thinking they're doing good. If Reichenbach changed his procedure to preventative and did follow-ups, it's not longer the perfect hit system. So someone made sure that Reichenbach wouldn't change anything by killing Conrad and staging the murder-suicide.
Old 07-28-19, 08:14 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Odin Reichenbach? He's no Moriarty. It seems like they are sleepwalking through this last season. I barely follow the plot most weeks. I watch to see Sherlock be quirky and Joan wear great clothes. Sherlock looks strung out and Joan has been dowdy except for that sharp black suit and tie in On the Scent.
Old 07-29-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeFan
Odin Reichenbach? He's no Moriarty. It seems like they are sleepwalking through this last season. I barely follow the plot most weeks. I watch to see Sherlock be quirky and Joan wear great clothes. Sherlock looks strung out and Joan has been dowdy except for that sharp black suit and tie in On the Scent.
Most of the time, veteran crew members and creative talent on established shows look for other ongoing work when a show is known to be ending like this seventh season. It's why many hit shows fall flat on their face (Lost and others) during their last season.

Old 07-29-19, 07:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep this season is a giant snooze fest , most time I’m bored watching my phone and Holmes is really mumbling this season, can hardly understand him most of the time
Old 08-02-19, 09:14 AM

I’ll I’m enjoying this season so far. I’m not finding it hard to follow at all. I like not being able to piece it together on my own sometimes.

Last night’s episode (s07e11 - Unfriended) really helped align things. Once Sherlock’s father showed up, I knew he’d help and that this might be last we see of him.

Spoiler:
I’m sad to see that I suspected right. RIP Morland Holmes. 😢

With only two episodes left in the series - the next ep being called “Reichenbach Falls” - I’m going to be sad to see this series end. I’ve been a fan from the start and am happy to have stuck with this show for its entire run.
Old 08-08-19, 11:34 PM

So ”Reichenbach Falls” aired tonight (s07e12) and we’ve got one show left.

It is gonna be a bit difficult to take Reichenbach down...
Spoiler:
without Sherlock’s body... which we know he faked his death and is hanging out in Italy.

I’m looking forward to the series finale next week and can only speculate that we’ll get a wrap up story involving
Spoiler:
Moriarty... some how.

As I said before, I’ll miss this show and I’m glad I stuck with it until the end.
Old 08-09-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I have really enjoyed this season and the show's entire run.

The point is not actually convicting Reichenbach but to involve him in a very public fight which will expose and those end his operation. That they can easy do without a body.
Old 08-16-19, 10:23 AM

Just finished watching “Their Last Bow” (s07e13) and it was a fitting end to a wonderful show.

Spoiler:
... loved the time jump elements and the meandering connections. The reunions with Bell and Gregson were great and the final scene of Joan and Sherlock in Captain Bell’s Office were reminiscent of a fresh start.

Farewell old friends.

I will truly miss this show.
Old 08-16-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Excellent final, they really worked a lot into one hour.

The time jumps were well done and really added to the episode but I'll admit that I fell for the final jump and thought, what the hell they didn't even give themselves the opportunity for a two hour TV movie down the road.

I'll miss the show, I think I'll watch season 1 this weekend.
Old 08-16-19, 07:18 PM

I got tricked by the last time jump too.

But I did like the wig. 😉
Old 08-17-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that was a very good finale to a great show. It provided closure, but also left Holmes and Watson continuing to work cases.

The relationship between Sherlock and Joan was always the best part of this show and I'm glad they focused on that in the finale.

The only thing in this final season that I wanted but didn't get was to actually have Moriarty (Dormer) appear again. But ultimately it's a minor complaint.

Jonny Lee Miller really did a terrific job portraying this version of Sherlock. I'd only seen him in a few things before, but this show has made me a big fan and I look forward to seeing what he does next. And I already liked Lucy Liu, but I'm an even bigger fan now.
Old 08-17-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Decent finale. As someone that used to watch every episode, I dropped Elementary during season six at some point. The best part of the show was always the easygoing chemistry between Sherlock and Joan. It always felt like a real friendship, which doesn't always happen in tv partnerships.
Old 08-19-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Good finale; watched it last night. Sad to see it go, the show was pretty consistent, considering the amount of years I was on air.
Old 08-20-19, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good finale to a great show, one I really enjoyed watching each week. I loved the relationship and chemistry Holmes and Watson had, they found a great balance.
Old 08-20-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Elementary is one show that could come back as tv movies if the stars so wished.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.