Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
48.95%
No
37.06%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
12.59%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by Gunde
IMO, this is pure "fan service" and wouldn't feel true to this world or the story Martin is telling.
Totally fan service. I don’t deny that. I think anything true to the story GRRM wants to tell would require a time jump epilogue showing the children of the characters we know starting their own war for the throne. I fully believe one of the points he wants to get across is that there’s no “happily ever after,” just the same shit happening again and again as new generations come of age.
Old 05-27-19, 04:33 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by actionjackson29

I’m glad you’re not a writer.
My mother was a writer. I’ve tried and failed several times to follow in her footsteps, but it’s just not my thing. I’m content with music being my creative outlet.
Old 05-28-19, 05:47 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Per TMZ:
UPDATE: 3:34 PM PT -- Kit's reps got back to us, and say he "has decided to utilize this break in his schedule as an opportunity to spend some time at a wellness retreat to work on some personal issues."

Kit Harington was hit hard by "Game of Thrones" coming to an end -- so hard, he checked himself into a rehab center for stress and alcohol before the final episode aired.

The actor, who famously played Jon Snow on 'Thrones,' entered a luxury Connecticut facility for a mental health retreat weeks before the May 19 finale ... according to the NY Post, which first reported his rehab stay.

Kit's been getting treatment for stress, exhaustion and alcohol abuse. The Post says his wife -- fellow 'GoT' star Rose Leslie -- has been very supportive of the decision to get professional help.

The rehab facility is believed to cost over $120,000 per month ... no word yet on when Harington will be released.

As you know, 'GoT' wrapped its highly-anticipated 8th final season earlier this month. Reviews of the whole season were extremely mixed, at best, and downright awful at worst. It still got HUGE ratings, though.

Video of Kit reacting to the final script in the 'GoT' behind-the-scenes documentary as he read the fate of his character and Emilia Clarke's Daenerys Targaryen went viral ... because he broke down in tears.

Clearly, he wasn't just being dramatic. He has since said he needed therapy after learning how the show ends for his character.

Kit's also been very open about how much the show's worldwide attention has impacted his life. He told Variety the "darkest" point was when Jon Snow was killed ... but later came back to life.
Old 05-28-19, 05:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I doubt it was because of how the show ended for Jon Snow, and the fact that he's no longer on a hit show and his future is unknown.
Old 05-28-19, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
I doubt it was because of how the show ended for Jon Snow, and the fact that he's no longer on a hit show and his future is unknown.
I'm sure he'll be ok. He'll never have this success again, but not many people do get repeat hits. He should take some time off... take small roles in indie movies... find a juicey part thats very against type... wait until a great part comes along for TV.
Old 05-28-19, 06:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm sure he'll be ok. He'll never have this success again, but not many people do get repeat hits. He should take some time off... take small roles in indie movies... find a juicey part thats very against type... wait until a great part comes along for TV.
oh I know, but I'm pretty damned sure he didn't go on a bender because Jon Snow didn't end up on the iron throne like the article implies.
Old 05-28-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Ah yes, celebrities and socialites. What would overpriced shrinks and luxury "mental health retreats" do without them.
Old 05-29-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I rather enjoyed this

[img]
[/img]
Old 05-29-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

That's pretty good!
Old 05-31-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Of course not, but it may explain why he didn't make the final cut for the new Batman role...earlier this year, it was rumored he was being looked at.
Old 05-31-19, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Of course not, but it may explain why he didn't make the final cut for the new Batman role...earlier this year, it was rumored he was being looked at.
Rumored. Exactly. It was shot down as not being true.
Old 06-07-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

For those Alt-Shift-X fans, his last episode video finally got posted today:

Old 06-21-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I, like many of you, have GoT ending fatigue and only watched this video because of how many likes it had. Even then, I was highly skeptical but, having watched it, I am quite impressed with what this guy came up with. There are a few quibbles I would have, but overall this would have made a much, much better ending to the series (episode 3 onward):

Old 06-21-19, 03:40 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
I, like many of you, have GoT ending fatigue and only watched this video because of how many likes it had. Even then, I was highly skeptical but, having watched it, I am quite impressed with what this guy came up with. There are a few quibbles I would have, but overall this would have made a much, much better ending to the series (episode 3 onward):

Wow that would have been significantly better. Season 8 was completely awful and basically ignored all previous arcs and foreshadowing. I dont even want to finish the books at this point. On to WOT series which will be awesome for a few years as well
Old 07-01-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Do you guys think that Daario will try to track down and kill Jon Snow after he hears what happened to Dany?
Old 07-01-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Do you guys think that Daario will try to track down and kill Jon Snow after he hears what happened to Dany?
Who cares it's over. It ain't happening.
Old 07-05-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

GoT fans still have this to look forward to...or not.

Old 07-06-19, 10:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

that looks terrible, although I did laugh at the faces made by the Drogo guy,
Old 07-14-19, 04:34 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I have been thinking about the last couple seasons and I think the problem really is simple. And actually the opposite of what many people think. It sucked because they tried to stick to GRRMs arc and ending.

In something of this size, there are tons and tons of little changes to characters plots and arcs. It's like the butterfly effect, but really by Season 3 or 4, the world, characters and arcs of all the main characters were just different than the books. It was it's own thing at that point, and as time went on it became more and more difficult to align with the books.

Dany, Jon, Bran, Sansa even Arya (though maybe the closest) were just not like the book characters very much at all, and the people surrounding them were VERY different. Selmy is still alive in the books, Doreah is as well in fact like GRRM likes to point out many more people were alive in the books than the show.

Because of this, the book Arc essentially no longer fit the TV shows characters. And that is why people hate it.

Dany's Mad Queen turn made NO sense in the TV show. It may in the books.

Bran's story was NOT the best story of the TV show as Tyrion said, in fact pretty much everyone had a better story than Bran. The characters in the TV would have NEVER elected Bran, nor would they have embraced Jon Snow even with the lineage thing which was just a useless MacGuffin in the show.

TV Jamie would not have left Brienne. He might have started, but would have come back.

It would have angered book fans a touch, but going into the last 2 seasons of the show, the showrunners should have looked at the characters and situations they were in on the show, and figured the arc that made most sense for the TV show even if different than the books even completely different.

There were paths forward for Sansa to wind up on the iron throne. In many ways would have been the simplest to do, and she could have effectively been reunited with Tyrion as the king consort.

There was a path forward for Arya as well. Even in the season that we GOT, it would have been simple with a few changes to have either Arya or Sansa wind up there. If Arya saves many of the people of King's Landing from Dany and then kills Dany, it would have been an effective end to the show.

John would have been more difficult but they could have had the reveal of his lineage way earlier and have him OPPOSE Dany the whole way, leading him to wind up there.

The whole white walker battle could have been different, happen at KL and have Dany saving the day and not taking the Iron Throne but given it.

But the GRRM sequence made literally ZERO sense for the TV show. None of that was organic or earned.

I hope it is a lesson for the WOT series. They can follow the books for 3 or 4 seasons, maybe, but after that the story will need to be almost completely different while still incoporating some of the major events.
Old 07-14-19, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Bran's story was NOT the best story of the TV show as Tyrion said, in fact pretty much everyone had a better story than Bran. The characters in the TV would have NEVER elected Bran, nor would they have embraced Jon Snow even with the lineage thing which was just a useless MacGuffin in the show.
That moment was possibly the most ridiculous of the entire series. It wasn't just the absurdity of the situation, but also the laughable reasons given for choosing Bran while all of them sat there and nodded approvingly. It was a true LOL moment. What a shameful final move in "The Game of Thrones."
Old 07-15-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
That moment was possibly the most ridiculous of the entire series. It wasn't just the absurdity of the situation, but also the laughable reasons given for choosing Bran while all of them sat there and nodded approvingly. It was a true LOL moment. What a shameful final move in "The Game of Thrones."
I have to go with Sam going on about voting for a leader and his little speech at an event he would never been present for IRL.
Old 07-15-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I assume Sam was there to represent the Reach as the now head of House Tarly since House Tyrell was wiped out. Of course there were a lot of people whose presence at that meeting didn't make sense.
Old 07-18-19, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like the season as a whole, it felt rushed.

Writers seemed to just want to get it over with.

That's my impression. The whole season was just not up to what we had gotten previously in terms of sub text or plausible development.

Just my feelings.
Old 07-18-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by greensmoke

That's my impression. The whole season was just not up to what we had gotten previously in terms of sub text or plausible development.

Just my feelings.
A little, but more than the writers, I think the actors wanted to move on as well.
Old 07-19-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by greensmoke

Just my feelings.
It felt as though everyone thought someone different should win the crown and quickly grew bored with the discussion and so in some twisted sense of fairness they went with the only character no one chose and wrote it out of spite.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.