Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
48.95%
No
37.06%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
12.59%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by Gunde
I don't wanna blame D&D. They pitched this is an adaptation with a very reasonable expectation that Martin would get his fucking books done. Suddenly they were faced with the challenge of having to bring everything together and create an ending to someone else's lifework. All this while having never done TV before. In truth, that's not what the signed up for.
Could they have handed the reigns over to someone else? Maybe. That's speculation - the TV business doesn't always work like that.
Old 05-24-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

I don't wanna blame D&D. They pitched this is an adaptation with a very reasonable expectation that Martin would get his fucking books done. Suddenly they were faced with the challenge of having to bring everything together and create an ending to someone else's lifework. All this while having never done TV before. In truth, that's not what the signed up for.
VERY good point.
Old 05-24-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I refuse to watch any youtube videos where the screencap has those eyes. How is that a thing?
Old 05-24-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
That was hilarious and sad.
Indeed.

"He really likes coins"
Old 05-24-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I refuse to watch any youtube videos where the screencap has those eyes. How is that a thing?

It certainly is creepy, and has nothing to do with the video. I imagine people are simply more likely to click on those links for some reason.
Old 05-24-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If you can find them on Twitter or Facebook (or just find my page) there are some hilarious memes going around about all the story points that D&D forgot about in Season 8.
Old 05-24-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Could they have handed the reigns over to someone else? Maybe. That's speculation - the TV business doesn't always work like that.
I don't know if this is brought up, but watching the behind the scenes episodes made me empathized with the cast and crew as well. Who knows if they were ready to be done the series, those 55 day shoots for the battle episodes didn't seem all that fun. I am sure some of the cast and crew were ready to move on after devoting 9 years of their life to it. It is a massive production so doesn't surprise me if D&D thought 10 seasons would burn everyone the fuck out.

However, I feel like 80 episodes would have been perfect, because after Season 6, I think we would all complain dragging the series four more seasons just to deal with the Night King and Dany breaking bad. People were already complaining that Dany was staying at Essos way to long.

Are there any serialized TV shows that sustained its greatness for 6+ seasons?
Old 05-24-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope. 4-5 is optimal. Every show I can think of that went past that saw a drop in quality. But I can't imagine that steep a drop if Martin had finished the books.
Old 05-24-19, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Nope. 4-5 is optimal. Every show I can think of that went past that saw a drop in quality. But I can't imagine that steep a drop if Martin had finished the books.
tons of stuff D&D removed that are in the books. The last two books are a meandering mess with more and more characters added, subplots and even then the characters are nowhere near in place. Martin wrote himself into a corner and cannot write himself out it would appear. All he has to do now is follow what the television show did and end the main series.
Old 05-25-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I posted this to my Facebook, ideas of how I’d have tweaked the final season if I was somehow in a position to do so. My friends seemed to like it, so I thought I’d just copy it here and see what people think:

How I’d have ended Game of Thrones, if anyone cares:
1. Jon kills the Night King, fulfilling the purpose of his resurrection by the Lord of Light.
2. As Jamie and Cersei embrace before the roof collapses on them, he stabs her through the back just before the collapse occurs, as that was his true purpose for returning to her (and this therefore does NOT negate the last 8 seasons of his character development).
3. Following Dany’s razing of King’s Landing, Jon confronts Grey Worm regarding his willingness to kill the people that had surrendered. GW kills Jon in the ensuing fight, but no one sees this happen except Arya, who is hidden in the shadows.
4. Arya takes Jon’s face and uses his identity to get close enough to Dany to kill her.
5. As Drogon flies away with her dead body, Bran wargs into Drogon and forces the dragon to suicide himself by flying into a mountainside or something similar.
6. Sansa becomes queen of Westeros, with Winterfell as the new capitol. Tyrion is chosen to be her Hand. After all she’s been through, she comes to realize he is actually a rare good man and falls in love with him despite his deformities. They get married, this time by their own choice.
As much as I’d love to add a #7 that puts Tormund and Brienne together, she never showed any interest in him.

Thoughts? It’s not perfect, but I humbly believe it’s better than what we actually got.
Old 05-25-19, 08:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I posted this to my Facebook, ideas of how I’d have tweaked the final season if I was somehow in a position to do so. My friends seemed to like it, so I thought I’d just copy it here and see what people think:

1. Jon kills the Night King, fulfilling the purpose of his resurrection by the Lord of Light.
2. As Jamie and Cersei embrace before the roof collapses on them, he stabs her through the back just before the collapse occurs, as that was his true purpose for returning to her (and this therefore does NOT negate the last 8 seasons of his character development).
3. Following Dany’s razing of King’s Landing, Jon confronts Grey Worm regarding his willingness to kill the people that had surrendered. GW kills Jon in the ensuing fight, but no one sees this happen except Arya, who is hidden in the shadows.
4. Arya takes Jon’s face and uses his identity to get close enough to Dany to kill her.
5. As Drogon flies away with her dead body, Bran wargs into Drogon and forces the dragon to suicide himself by flying into a mountainside or something similar.
6. Sansa becomes queen of Westeros, with Winterfell as the new capitol. Tyrion is chosen to be her Hand. After all she’s been through, she comes to realize he is actually a rare good man and falls in love with him despite his deformities. They get married, this time by their own choice.
As much as I’d love to add a #7 that puts Tormund and Brienne together, she never showed any interest in him.

Thoughts? It’s not perfect, but I humbly believe it’s better than what we actually got.
Pretty much think all of that would have been better than what we got.
Old 05-25-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Despite a few issues (like Dany bending the knee which would never happen), I'm with this guy, i.e. the Night King wins the battle of Winterfell because it makes no sense to have the main villain dispatched and 8 years of building up the threat disappear in a few seconds.

Old 05-25-19, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="700" height="394" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NCpcEwgsd-M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jason momoa watching GOT final episode*cusses out the ending*

Last edited by ScHoLaR oF SMuT; 05-25-19 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

IMO, this is pure "fan service" and wouldn't feel true to this world or the story Martin is telling.
Old 05-26-19, 09:33 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

IMO, this is pure "fan service" and wouldn't feel true to this world or the story Martin is telling.

true but irrelevant because it hasn't been the story Martin was telling for the past few seasons.
Old 05-26-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Agreed. For example, people landed on this "Bran will warg into a dragon!!!!" thing and wouldn't let it go. So when the showrunners didn't do it, they get criticized for it.

Just because people wanted something to happen doesn't mean a) it should have and b) the showrunners deserve to be raked over the coals for not doing it.
Old 05-26-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

So is anyone going to watch The Last Watch making-of documentary tonight?
Old 05-26-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
No. I've not bothered with any of the post episode discussions simply because if I have to be told what I just saw the producers/writers/directors failed to do their job properly and feel this will be nothing more than an extension of those.
Old 05-26-19, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Yup I'll be watching. Love seeing all the behind the scenes aspects and especially for a show of this magnitude.

I guess those who are angry about this final season won't be watching. Sorry they feel that way.
Old 05-26-19, 02:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

definitely.
Old 05-26-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I like it, except for #5 that would be awful.
Old 05-26-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yup I'll be watching. Love seeing all the behind the scenes aspects and especially for a show of this magnitude.

I guess those who are angry about this final season won't be watching. Sorry they feel that way.
I know. Watching the trailer, with everyone talking about what a massive undertaking Season 8 was, it feels, I don't know, weird that so many people put in so much work for a product that now is being so publicly denigrated. As if it had no value.

EW joined in on the damage control this week :

Old 05-26-19, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I’m glad you’re not a writer.
Old 05-26-19, 06:48 PM

looking forward to GOT 2 hour documentary.
Old 05-26-19, 10:04 PM

this is how i want to close the book on GOT....knowing that it was a magical moment born from george martinès masterpiece and that took flight on the wings of directors, doers and dreamers.
...and with that the whiners and the winners lived happily ever never.
the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.