Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
48.95%
No
37.06%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
12.59%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Old 05-20-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Holy smokes, this was a gorgeous episode of television. The quality of the actual content was, ummm, suspect at times, but this was a treat to look at.

I feel like I've got at least two dozen nits to pick with last night's episode, but why bother. It's over, and I'm happy that it's over. After last season and 5/6 of this season, I was ready for this to wrap the fuck up already. Still, I generally like how everything ended, and I'd be pretty happy if they revisited this series ten years from now to see where everyone is at that point in their lives.
Old 05-20-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by Draven
Ah yes, we all understand exactly how the radiant heat of dragonfire works
OF COURSE we do!

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Do bigger dragons pack more heat?
Old 05-20-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Upon reflection, I understand how people could be disappointed, but overall I still dig it. Visually it was probably one of the strongest episodes in the history of television. Content wise....well... it was good enough.
Old 05-20-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Did anyone mention Dany's S2 House of the Undying vision coming true?

As soon as she touches the throne she is sent through the wall (Jon Snow) and meets up with Drogo and her son in the afterlife.
Old 05-20-19, 07:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have HBO anything, but I am sure the ending is fine. How could the writers, producers, etc. ruin the ending of the best mini series, to date, ever? I am looking forward to this December when the entire series is packaged for retail sale in Blu-Ray. The only question IS is, will I watch the entire series from beginning to end or just skip to season 8?
Old 05-20-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrVette99
I don't have HBO anything, but I am sure the ending is fine. How could the writers, producers, etc. ruin the ending of the best mini series, to date, ever? I am looking forward to this December when the entire series is packaged for retail sale in Blu-Ray. The only question IS is, will I watch the entire series from beginning to end or just skip to season 8?
I watched everything over the last 2-3 weeks before the finale and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
The following users liked this post:
MrVette99 (02-06-20)
Old 05-20-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
They didn't have any original source material to work with, and we have no idea how detailed (or vague) the outlines and notes were that Martin allegedly provided. Certainly everything that came after Drogon flew away with Dany's body was cobbled together from notes on the back of a napkin or something.

Overall I enjoyed the last few seasons for what they were. I understand that showing the long voyages in between locations was unnecessary because there were trips of urgency, not of discovery. I understand that as events move towards a conclusion they move faster. I didn't think characters acted outside of their established personalities, either. Jamie was always conflicted in his feelings or Cercei, and Dany was every bit as vindictive and vicious in the beginning as she was when she burned Kings Landing. It's just that she was burning "bad" people, so we elevated her to the status of hero.

I'm not saying the finale was perfect. Far from it, but there's a lot of room between perfect and trash. Anyhow, it's the finale we have. All the griping in the world isn't going to change anything.
You know one of those spin-off ideas has to revolve around Arya Stark. Martin would probably write it himself if he lives to be 500.
Old 05-20-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Why would you just want to skip to season 8? The show is heavily serialized with a ton of backstory for every character. If you're planning to purchase the complete series Blu-Ray, start from the very beginning.
Old 05-20-19, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burn Notice and Dexter were great right up to the end too but ended sucking. Of the 3, Dexter is the only one I care to watch again. I'm not even sure I'll buy GoT if they release a UHD set. You'd think that would be announced by now though. The studio/distributor had 2 years to prepare season 1-7 while the last 6 episodes were being made. It can't take that long to prepare the 2 or 3 discs for the last 6 episodes and start pressing it.
Old 05-20-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Now will George R.R. Martin please get his shit together and finish the damn books
The following users liked this post:
MrVette99 (02-06-20)
Old 05-20-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 866 Likes on 390 Posts

Maise Williams tweeted, I’m just here for the memes

Old 05-20-19, 08:13 PM

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm fine with the ending, for those that are upset, how would you have ended it all?
Old 05-20-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Viper187
Burn Notice and Dexter were great right up to the end too but ended sucking. Of the 3, Dexter is the only one I care to watch again. I'm not even sure I'll buy GoT if they release a UHD set. You'd think that would be announced by now though. The studio/distributor had 2 years to prepare season 1-7 while the last 6 episodes were being made. It can't take that long to prepare the 2 or 3 discs for the last 6 episodes and start pressing it.
With Dexter you might as well just stop after season 4. The last season was the worst of any show I have ever watched.

Burn Notice had a good finale but the last few seasons were just repetitive.
Old 05-20-19, 08:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan
I'm fine with the ending, for those that are upset, how would you have ended it all?

I liked it, but I would imagine many wanted to see Cersei get beheaded or burned alive and Jon on the Iron Throne.
Old 05-20-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts

I would have had the Mountain pick up Cersei and use her to bludgeon half the city to death before the Hound shows up and throws a chicken at him. Scared of chickens he jumps out of tower to his death but lands on Jon who was in the corner taking a whiz. Drogon picks up Bran and dumps him into a chimney "For your eyes only" style. Dany sits on a whoopie cushion placed on the iron throne by Tyrion which gets Jamie's attention and they start fighting., Arya kills all of them due to PTSD and declares herself Queen as she rips off her face to reveal she's actually Lady Mormont.
Old 05-20-19, 09:45 PM

Since the entire season was a catastrophe, I actually expected worse. It was bad, a lot of nonsense, but I expected it so I'm not bitter, just happy it ended, but holly crap how bad it was!

Bran voted on the throne but Sansa doesn't want the North to bend the knee to her fucking brother? Facepalm.
Bronn not being killed!? Tyrion actually gave him Highgarden and all the gold of the kingdom? Absolute fucking farce.
Jon Snow not getting killed by Grey Work after Dany's death? Like he thought hum, maybe my Queen would want him to live? I'll just keep him alive and in jail just in case... Again, facepalm.
Not sure what to do with Arya, let's have her sail a boat. Where the fuck was that from?
Jon Snow passes Grey Worm on his way to Dany, keeps going, then goes up the stairs passed... Grey Worm again? WTF? He teleported upstairs after killing the Lannister folks?
Hey, it's Edmure! Nice of D&D to show us he's no longer jailed by Lannisters since like 2-3 seasons ago?
And nice council scene! Way to bring a bunch of new unnamed characters that are uttterly useless. New prince of Dorne yes that one is fine, random Ironborn? Random old dudes next to Sam and next to Bornze Yohn?
So Dany's dead, Drogon is unhappy, doesn't kill Jn Snow, melts the throne because reasons, it's a TV show, then leaves with her corpse. Yeah it's for TV.

Last edited by Luds; 05-21-19 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luds
Since the entire season was a catastrophe, I actually expected worse. It was bad, a lot of nonsense, but I expected it so I'm not bitter, just happy it ended, but holly crap how bad it was!

Bronn not being killed!? Tyrion actually gave him Highgarden and all the gold of the kingdom? Absolute fucking farce.
I would've liked to see Oberyn's last daughter survive and end up with Braun. She'd likely have claim to run Dorne, which would've made a lot more sense for him than Highgarden. Would've worked. She was still alive when Jaime left. He could've said fuck it, freed her, and followed Jaime north. "You Lannister ****s keep promising me a woman and a castle. I got tired of waiting around and saving your asses, and chose one myself."

I also thought the night king would last longer. I was hoping the wild fire hidden in King's Landing would come into play. They'd have to take care of Cercei first. Then make their last stand in King's Landing and "Burn them all" in some twist making the Mad King right all along.

Last edited by Viper187; 05-20-19 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

That's not my job!
Old 05-20-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,257 Likes on 837 Posts

remember all of those people who named their kids khaleesi? Don't sneer, because -- at the time -- she was a strong, powerful female role model. It's not their fault that, over the course of the show, the character would become game of thrones final villain. I think hbo could give itself a nice bit of pr by paying the $150 in court fees for those kids to get their names changed. there are just under 800 kids in the us called daenerys or khaleesi, and $120,000 is a small price to pay to avoid all of that bullying.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/20/...&utm_source=dl
Old 05-20-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Luds
Bran voted on the throne but Sansa doesn't want the North to bend the knee to her fucking brother? Facepalm.
Jon Snow not getting killed by Grey Work after Dany's death? Like he thought hum, maybe my Queen would want him to live? I'll just keep him alive and in jail just in case... Again, facepalm.
Not sure what to do with Arya, let's have her sail a boat. Where the fuck was that from?
Jon Snow passes Grey Worm on his way to Dany, keeps going, then goes up the stairs passed... Grey Work again? WTF? He teleported upstairs after killing the Lannister folks?
Hey, it's Edmure! Nice of D&D to show us he's no longer jailed by Lannisters since like 2-3 seasons ago?
And nice council scene! Way to bring a bunch of new unnamed characters that are uttterly useless. New prince of Dorne yes that one is dine, random Ironborn? Random old dudes next to Sam and next to Bornze Yohn?
So Dany's dead, Drogon is unhappy, doesn't kill Jn Snow, melts the throne because reasons, it's a TV show, then leaves with her corpse. Yeah it's for TV.
Well, when you put it like that, this finale was a moronic piece of shit.

Can't wait to see what those mental giants do for Star Wars.
Old 05-20-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher

Can't wait to see what those mental giants do for Star Wars.
They can hardly do worse than those geniuses who did Ep. 7&8...
Old 05-20-19, 11:48 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I know that GRRM supposedly gave D&D a roadmap of how to end the story, but I have a hard time believing that Bran is who he’s been planning as ruler this entire time. If he somehow ever finishes writing these books I’d bet money it’ll end very differently than this.
Old 05-20-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 05-21-19, 12:11 AM

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I know that GRRM supposedly gave D&D a roadmap of how to end the story, but I have a hard time believing that Bran is who he’s been planning as ruler this entire time. If he somehow ever finishes writing these books I’d bet money it’ll end very differently than this.
I'll take that bet every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 05-21-19, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did not really like the ending. Not sure how so many people somehow survived the fight against the Night King when it showed most of them dying. Did not really feel like She would have killed all the innocent people. I could see her attacking the keep and trying to kill Cersei. What they had her do was way out of character.

Jon killing her just did not feel right and making the three eyed raven into the King was a joke really.

Sad ending to a good series. I hope the books end in a better way or at least fleshes it out in a way that makes sense.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.