Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
48.95%
No
37.06%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
12.59%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The scene where Brienne of Tarth filled in the Kingsguard entry for Jamie was touching, although in retrospect maybe it bordered on the sappy.
With all of its rather conspicuous flaws, this season did bring us some wonderful moments mixed in with the mess. I think this was one of them.

I agree that it seems unlikely that Jon would not have been murdered by Grey Worm but I guess you to cut the writers some slack on that one for the purposes of the story.

I found Samwell's plea for democracy (and the reaction to it) rather ham-handed, silly and unnecessary. On that note, I wonder why Sam and Arya were even there. Brienne at least was a knight and I guess she is officially the heir to Tarth.

All in all, it was a moderately satisfactory ending I suppose.
Old 05-20-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Before Jon enters the throne room we see him come upon a resting Drogon who wakes and investigates who is coming in. If it had been anyone suspicious, Drogon wouldn't have let him pass.

Drogon has only himself to blame since he let the killer in. He didn't have a good excuse so he flew off with the evidence.
Old 05-20-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
Before Jon enters the throne room we see him come upon a resting Drogon who wakes and investigates who is coming in. If it had been anyone suspicious, Drogon wouldn't have let him pass.

Drogon has only himself to blame since he let the killer in. He didn't have a good excuse so he flew off with the evidence.
You should write a book: The Thoughts of Dragons
Old 05-20-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Bran as King is going to be a real hoot. Border dispute? "The border is just where it needs to be." Marital infidelity? "His schwantz is just where it needs to be." The Six Kingdoms is being ruled by the fifth Beatle beaked out on LSD.

And the Starks sure came away with all the goods, they get to rule the Six and the independent North. Seriously, no one under those tarps had any objections to this outcome? Why didn't they all just claim independence and go right back to war?
Old 05-20-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
This was played WAY too ham-fisted, way too obvious.
Originally Posted by DJariya
I know entertainment is always subjective and it’s unfair to get mad at people who didn’t think something worked, but we need get over this sentiment that everything is either a 10 or a 0.
It's just the times we live in now.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not sure how anyone who has watched the show would think he would lie about it.
Exactly.
Originally Posted by ctyankee

A. Drogon did go nuts.
I'm not sure if it's possible to be able to judge if a DRAGON is "nuts" or not, but OK.
Old 05-20-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Let's just a say a majority of co-workers did not like the episode, as this is not an internet thing. I am the lone wolf at work defending this episode, as people are really disappointed. I have to say that I did not go into the last episode with high expectations as I have been burned by series finales too many times (Seinfeld, The Sopranos, etc) so I pretty much knew this episode would not blow me away.
Old 05-20-19, 02:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Well ... to answer your question ... Jon could have just said that Drogon went nuts and just carried Dany away. See ... not so hard was it? And I came up with that without having my hand held.
Originally Posted by kefrank
Congratulations, you came up with an idea that would have been completely out of character for Jon Snow.
What using his brain? You got me there.

But riddle me this .... since we're talking about the (apparently) resolute "character" of Jon Snow ... where does murdering a former lover while in her embrace and the Queen you bent the knee to fall? I must have missed that episode.

Old 05-20-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Arya should have used her many faces trick and disguised herself as Jon Snow, stabbed Dany.

The bummer with that is that Jon would still have not done much anything. He literally had one job and he did it, so I have nothing.
Old 05-20-19, 02:43 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
It's just the times we live in now.
With respect, if we just shrug at how it is now, trust me, it's only going to get worse.
Old 05-20-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What using his brain? You got me there.

But riddle me this .... since we're talking about the (apparently) resolute "character" of Jon Snow ... where does murdering a former lover while in her embrace and the Queen you bent the knee to fall? I must have missed that episode.
The thing about that scene is that unlike Ned and Robb, Jon learned from their mistakes and finally (finally!) did the wrong thing for the right reasons. He was fully prepared to take responsibility and face the punishment, just like Varys and Tyrion were.

Plus, "Drogon did it" is a pretty fucking dumb excuse when it's already been established multiple times to all the characters that matter, that DANY. IS. IMMUNE. TO. FIRE.
Old 05-20-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Not immune to getting her head bitten off though.
Old 05-20-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper187
What about Daario Naharis?

WTF happened to Benjin Stark?

We never saw the San girl or Oberyn's bitch die.
Who the fuck cares about this shit? You need every little thing spelled out?
Old 05-20-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious

As an aside, the dragons were handled horribly. Their fire explodes wood, sets people on fire, explodes most stone, does nothing to stone if it’s got iron sitting on it and melts iron. And Drogon melting the iron throne was such silly, hamfisted nonsense that I honestly wouldn’t have found the scene to be any worse if he’d looked at Jon and said, ‘curse your game of thrones, cousin Jon, curse it all to hell,’ before letting loose.

Sam’s suggestion of democracy drawing guffaws, even from the leader of the Ironborn. Tyrion’s Bran-worshipping ode to the importance of stories. Dany’s back and forth on Jon. No one having a problem with the north leaving the seven kingdoms. The episode had so many moments that felt like they were put together by a mediocre writer who’d just read summaries of the previous seasons. The most disappointing thing to me is that I don’t have any major problems with where everyone ended up and I think it could’ve been a tremendous final season and finale if the plotting, pacing and writing had been on par with earlier seasons.
Old 05-20-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Arya should have used her many faces trick and disguised herself as Jon Snow, stabbed Dany.

The bummer with that is that Jon would still have not done much anything. He literally had one job and he did it, so I have nothing.
People have suggested Arya face switch with a character a few times when it seems impractical. Doesn’t she have to take a dead person’s face? And would it change her height? Because Jon Snow is short, but he’s not 5’1 like Arya.
Old 05-20-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Who the fuck cares about this shit? You need every little thing spelled out?
Benjen Stark (Coldhands) was killed in Season 7 in the Deus Ex Machina that saves Jon after he's left alone North of the Wall. There was never any explanation as to how/why he ended up that way, or why he stayed aligned with men when he seems to be half a White Walker.
Old 05-20-19, 04:17 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
Benjen Stark (Coldhands) was killed in Season 7 in the Deus Ex Machina that saves Jon after he's left alone North of the Wall. There was never any explanation as to how/why he ended up that way, or why he stayed aligned with men when he seems to be half a White Walker.
He also was Bran's Deus Ex Machina savior in Season 6 after the fall of Hold The Door. After the rescue, he explained how he ended up that way (the Children of the Forest saved him).
Old 05-20-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He also was Bran's Deus Ex Machina savior in Season 6 after the fall of Hold The Door. After the rescue, he explained how he ended up that way (the Children of the Forest saved him).
Shit. It's been so long since season 6 I forgot about that.
Old 05-20-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Yeah, I kind of liked him coming to the rescue once. It gave fans some closure on Benjen. But to have him appear a second time, at just the right moment, and at a location probably 100+ miles from where he appeared last time, was some of the worst writing of S7.
Old 05-20-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23

People have suggested Arya face switch with a character a few times when it seems impractical. Doesn’t she have to take a dead person’s face? And would it change her height? Because Jon Snow is short, but he’s not 5’1 like Arya.
I suppose. I was just spitballing.
Old 05-20-19, 05:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- "The Iron Throne" -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by Mordred
He was already dead. I wasn't aware the Whitewalkers carried Valeryian steel or forking Dragon Glass.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-22-19 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Welcome! Everything is fine. You're in the Good Place.
Old 05-20-19, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As an aside, the dragons were handled horribly. Their fire explodes wood, sets people on fire, explodes most stone, does nothing to stone if it’s got iron sitting on it and melts iron. And Drogon melting the iron throne was such silly, hamfisted nonsense that I honestly wouldn’t have found the scene to be any worse if he’d looked at Jon and said, ‘curse your game of thrones, cousin Jon, curse it all to hell,’ before letting loose.
I think it works because the dragon concentrates the flame to melt it. He's not using it to firebomb or as a projectile. He's just using it like a flamethrower on that one spot.
Old 05-20-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher

the best part was actually Jon covering his face with his arm to avoid the flames
I get heat singe roasting s'mores from afar with a stick over a small campfire
he would have been burnt to a crisp standing near that blast furnace .... good thing they didn't have hair spray back then (though a bottle may be sited on set if you look hard enough based on past episodes)
Old 05-20-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
the best part was actually Jon covering his face with his arm to avoid the flames
I get heat singe roasting s'mores from afar with a stick over a small campfire
he would have been burnt to a crisp standing near that blast furnace .... good thing they didn't have hair spray back then (though a bottle may be sited on set if you look hard enough based on past episodes)
Ah yes, we all understand exactly how the radiant heat of dragonfire works
Old 05-20-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Do bigger dragons pack more heat?
Old 05-20-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I definitely feel like the last two seasons were rushed, just a few more episodes they could have had a little more breathing room.
They didn't have any original source material to work with, and we have no idea how detailed (or vague) the outlines and notes were that Martin allegedly provided. Certainly everything that came after Drogon flew away with Dany's body was cobbled together from notes on the back of a napkin or something.

Overall I enjoyed the last few seasons for what they were. I understand that showing the long voyages in between locations was unnecessary because there were trips of urgency, not of discovery. I understand that as events move towards a conclusion they move faster. I didn't think characters acted outside of their established personalities, either. Jamie was always conflicted in his feelings or Cercei, and Dany was every bit as vindictive and vicious in the beginning as she was when she burned Kings Landing. It's just that she was burning "bad" people, so we elevated her to the status of hero.

I'm not saying the finale was perfect. Far from it, but there's a lot of room between perfect and trash. Anyhow, it's the finale we have. All the griping in the world isn't going to change anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.