Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
48.95%
No
37.06%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
12.59%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

this was shit. utter shit.

Night king was useless. All was dumb.

They left a lot of questions yet none of the actors will reprise their roles. utter shit
Old 05-20-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I don't buy that. These guys gave a decade of their life and obviously were very passionate about the source material. I don't think they want to go down in history as the guys who took a dump on GOT in the end. OTOH, I still don't understand why they felt the need to box themselves in with two shorten seasons since budget wasn't a concern.
Too late for that. They already have.
Old 05-20-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
can we talk about that gorgeous shot of Dany with Drogon wings?
Old 05-20-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soap opera level garbage. Obvious trope on obvious trope. Happily ever after moments that were seemingly created by someone who didn't watch any of the previous seasons. Mainly just boring. This final season has gone for flash over substance time and time again. Every "emotional beat" was pounded home Hollywood-style with zero subtlety. Every character was reduced to a shell of their former complexity. All the logic of this world that had been carefully built up of a decade was sacrificed immediately for the sake of plot expediency. What was once tension-filled, subtext laden political maneuvering with life or death consequences at the Small Council became cutesy bantering among the "good guys". Dragons are disposed of casually and then suddenly become invincible weapons of the apocalypse. Instead of the delightfully awful Joffrey we get cardboard pantomime "villains" like Euron. Sansa suddenly becomes "the smartest person I know" because the plot demanded it. Tyrion suddenly becomes the dumbest Hand in history because the plot demanded it. A novice like Sam becomes the Grand Maester of the Realm because the plot demanded it. Daenerys burns children because the plot demanded it.

I did like the resolution of Jon's arc, that was properly on tone

Also, to all of you who did like the final series here complaining about those of us who did not like the final series: people can not like things you like. It's not a personal attack.
Old 05-20-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think it's interesting how the show began as a conflict between the Starks and Lannisters, but ended with an alliance between a Stark and Lannister to rule (King Bran Stark and his Hand Tyrion Lannister)
Old 05-20-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Also, to all of you who did like the final series here complaining about those of us who did not like the final series: people can not like things you like. It's not a personal attack.
After 8 years of loving the show and giving it praise, I got called out for trolling and threadcrapping when I didn't like the NK episode a few weeks ago.
Old 05-20-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think it's interesting how the show began as a conflict between the Starks and Lannisters, but ended with an alliance between a Stark and Lannister to rule (King Bran Stark and his Hand Tyrion Lannister)
Further, everyone on the council was either a castoff from their family or lowborn, The wheel is truly broken.

Regarding Jon, I assume everyone at the gathering who ultimately chose Bran were aware of Jon's lineage. Sansa, Arya and Tyrion all knew. Unless they all convened and agreed to not disseminate that info, one of them would surely have brought it up if they thought the others didn't know. I'm assuming Varys' notes did get out, and that given a Targaryen had just torched King's Landing, no one was in a hurry to have another Targaryen rule.
Old 05-20-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
So you think D&D thought the show just didn't warrant more episodes then? Cause HBO would have gladly given them budget for more (as has been reported). This was all about them. Who knows what talks they were already in regarding the Star Wars project when they decided on the short season.

In this case, HBO would have doled out a blank check to keep this show going. They're going to lose thousands of subscription now that it's over.
I actually think that they believed that more episodes would have hurt the show for the last 2 seasons (I disagree with them). They would counter that if they did 7 more episodes for Seasons 7 & 8, than people would have complained that the show was stringing it out and the episodes were bloated. The Sopranos actually had this problem in the final few seasons, as the show started to drag and David Chase probably could have wrapped it up in less episodes. In the end, I think D&D could have made 2 (10 episode) seasons for 7 & 8 and it may have been alittle bloated, but it would have been able to flesh out plot points regarding Bran, Dany's motives for going to the darkside, and maybe alittle more on the White Walkers. It's a catch 22 for any show on where to end it, and whether you go past it's expiration date, or end it too soon?
Old 05-20-19, 09:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I definitely feel like the last two seasons were rushed, just a few more episodes they could have had a little more breathing room.
Old 05-20-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee
However ... the reason that they didn't show Jon being taken to jail is that it would have fully shown just how stupid that would have played out. Dany's forces would have pulled him apart limb-by-limb in their rage. The idea of 'let's put him in jail and consider our next step?' From the same crew that just murdered everyone in sight? Please.
I will continue to disagree. Point me to just one instance in the show where Greyworm or one of the Unsullied killed someone out of emotion rather than duty. They "murdered everyone in sight" in the The Bells because they were fulfilling their duty to follow Dany's lead, not because they were enraged. If it was rage driving them, they would have immediately killed Cersei's soldiers as soon as they threw down their swords and they wouldn't have waited for Dany to start killing surrendered soldiers and civilians before doing the same.

But let's just go with the idea that Greyworm would have murdered Jon immediately as soon as Jon confessed to killing Dany. Is there a reasonable way that could have been avoided? Yes. Jon could have gone to Davos first, had him gather Northern soldiers to protect his life and negotiate a peaceable surrender. Did they really need to show how that played out? I don't think they did. The audience doesn't need their hand held all the time.
Old 05-20-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Yep. D&D basically said fuck it to move on to something new. Cause their career is clearly more important that getting the ending of HBO's biggest show ever correct.
from what I recall, HBO announced back in 2016 that the show was ending with a 13 episode season 7 and 8 according to what Benioff and Weiss thought the show needed. So they had already decided and mapped this out 2 years before they were even hired to work on Star Wars. So those who are criticizing them because they think they trashed the show and didn’t care about the “fans” because they were moving on to greener pastures are talking ridiculous. Just total sour grapes.

As already mentioned, these guys gave almost 10 years off their lives to this show and produced one of the highest rated and most talked about shows on HBO ever. HBO has to be more than pleased with what they did. They worked in sometimes harsh conditions to put out some quality entertainment IMO. And who was HBO to say to them no, you needed 30 or 40 more episodes instead of just 13? If that’s what they thought they needed, then let them finish it that way. It’s a catch 22 indeed. They aren’t novelists and we aren’t TV writers, so that’s all that can be said.

Petitions to to fire them, re-do season 8, get them off Star Wars are just pathetic and ridiculous. No studio or network is going to take any of that seriously.

I know entertainment is always subjective and it’s unfair to get mad at people who didn’t think something worked, but we need get over this sentiment that everything is either a 10 or a 0.

Old 05-20-19, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
from what I recall, HBO announced back in 2016 that the show was ending with a 13 episode season 7 and 8 according to what Benioff and Weiss thought the show needed. So they had already decided and mapped this out 2 years before they were even hired to work on Star Wars. So those who are criticizing them because they think they trashed the show and didn’t care about the “fans” because they were moving on to greener pastures are talking ridiculous. Just total sour grapes.
If they really thought they could properly wrap up one of the most involved/character driven/complex stories to hit television with a 6 episode final season, they are horribly unqualified to be running any show/movie.
Old 05-20-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

There was no way for the show to meet the high expectations people had for it before people started shitting on this season. It was no where near Six Feet under or Breaking Bad good for a final episode but it was also markedly better than the Sopranos or Seinfeld. Was it pretty; no, was it serviceable given what they had absolutely. Does it merit a 5.0 err 4.8 on IMDB, no, I'm a little tired of the fanboy campaigns to lower scores on shows and movies. I would give the show a 6.8 or so out of 10, I liked it, it was far from perfect but it worked for what it was. Given the utter shit people sit through on network TV week after week this show still raised the bar on TV as a whole.
Old 05-20-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yeah, I don’t see how what you’re saying makes this any better. They thought they could satisfactorily wrap up the show with that amount of episodes, and in the opinion of many, they clearly did not.
Old 05-20-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

I find it hilarious that some hear are bitching that Jon wasn't killed by Grey Worm on sight as if that would have been a more satisfying ending for the character and the show.
Old 05-20-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I find it hilarious that some hear are bitching that Jon wasn't killed by Grey Worm on sight as if that would have been a more satisfying ending for the character and the show.
In some ways I may not have minded if nearly all the main characters were killed and they just reset the kingdom with each realm essentially going to self rule. A final montage with people like Yara going to the Iron Islands, etc., each going to sit on their respective thrones with a final image of Jon walking North and Sansa sitting on the throne then end.
Old 05-20-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I think the problem is that they were given a cliff notes version of what events would happen and didn't have the skills/ability to fill in the gaps with proper pacing and logical choices. Many of the complaints could have been handled with an additional line or a simple step back and saying (does this makes sense). I don't hate any of the major events that happened, but how we got there left too many open ended questions.

Things I liked
Brienne and Jaime's ending - Many will hate the fact that a strong female characters spent her last moments onscreen writing good deeds for a guy who left her. However, Brienne got her final moment 3-4 episodes back with her getting knighted by Jaime. Jaime got his moment last night when he went from the Kingslayer to the Queen protector.
Bran as King - One of the best qualities to have as a leader is the ability to relate past events/outcomes to current problems and in that sense there might not be a better leader
Jon to the Nightwatch - This is honestly where he belongs, and if I understand the ending correctly, this was more of a way to get him back to the wildlings to live out his days with them.

Things I didn't like
Arya appearing at Jon's side despite the Dothraki and Unsullied standing around everywhere. Poor setup for a conversation between the two
Dany's death - It was going to happen, I actually said as much in the last thread, however her standing around with no guards doesn't make any sense
What the hell happened to the Dothraki horde? There looked to be a good amount of them (which that number still seems to go up or down depending on the story) and there is no way they would let another King/Queen sit the throne. So what happened to them.
Tyrion finding Jamie/Cersei. The emotional scene was good, but once again a poorly executed setup for an emotional event. There is no way Tyrion could have gotten down there considering the whole thing collapsed last episode.
Sansa becoming Queen of Winterfell - this felt like some fanservice and an odd one at that. Bran, her brother, is the sitting King and saying "I won't bend the knee" would have immediately set off the other lords doing the same. Too many A type personalities in that council for it not to have kicked up a shitstorm just to get her the Queen title.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. Ultimately I loved the show, but felt that GRRM hand was sorely missed in the last two seasons. Say what you will about the man but his pacing of events is very well setup and executed.
Old 05-20-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yeah, I don’t see how what you’re saying makes this any better. They thought they could satisfactorily wrap up the show with that amount of episodes, and in the opinion of many, they clearly did not.
Old 05-20-19, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The last season of this show reminded me very much of the final season of Penny Dreadful. The first two seasons of that show were some of the best TV around with great writing, sets, design and above all else acting. It was spectacular and the third seasons promised to be the best yet. Then it got broadcast and it felt very rushed and some character decisions didn't seem quite in line with what had come before. I know the showrunners were moving on to other things, and i am sure this played a large part in this final season feeling rushed. Same for GoT. This season would have been better as a 10 episode with more time to flesh out better endings for characters that deserved it.
Old 05-20-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I found it a little strange that Tyrion, who was being labeled a criminal for betraying Dany, was able to lead the charge and convince everyone that Bran was the rightful king.
Tyrion's freed brother was dead.
The one who had ordered him arrested was dead.
Not much point in keeping him in the pokey.
And he was, in fact, the last of the Lannisters (a major family of the realm).

I would watch the hell out of a Arya spinoff as an explorer/warrior.
Not sure the character or actor is strong enough to headline a series.
Great scene seeing Tyrion mourn the deaths of Cersei and Jaime.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
you can tell that they ran out of steam and didn't know how to end it properly, so they just said fuck it and threw something together.
Agreed.
I think fans deserved something better, but that's the way it goes in Hollywood.
Old 05-20-19, 10:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don’t think anyone is saying that him being killed by Grey Worm was what we wanted, but that the story could have been written in a more satisfying way.
Old 05-20-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

Just remembered one of my favorite moments of this episode. "Sir Podrick"

And it took me awhile to recognize Robin. He must have switched to giant's milk too.

For those of you that liked it, I have no problem with that, glad you did. I won't say that I "hated" this season, but I certainly did not like it. For 7 seasons there was a certain standard that was presented to me, and I do not feel it continued in S8. The cinematography in the finale was probably the best of the season.

They should have had Arya die as she was killing NK too. She basically did nothing the rest of the series. When was the last time she used a face? As Walter Frey?

The talk with Tyrion started out as lets talk about the prisoners, then it turned into let's pick a King or Queen.

I was under the impression Jon abandoned the Night's Watch too.

No lines from Tormund that I remember?

Last edited by IDrinkMolson; 05-20-19 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson

No lines from Tormund that I remember?
Tormund not getting any lines at the end was bullshirt. He was one of the best characters of the series.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-20-19 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Welcome! Everything is fine. You're in the Good Place.
Old 05-20-19, 10:26 AM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I've never seen the show. Just YouTube clips. Take my comments for what they're worth. I'm sure it's a good show, but it's clearly unrealistic. Why do I say that? EVERYBODY gets their throat slit ALL the time and NOBODY walk around wearing throat armor. Just wear a piece of metal on your neck, people, are you kidding me?! Anyway...

Yep. D&D basically said fuck it to move on to something new. Cause their career is clearly more important that getting the ending of HBO's biggest show ever correct.
This absolutely makes no sense. It really, really doesn't. This sort of thing does not happen anywhere nearly as much as fans accuse it of happening and I don't think it happened here.

Originally Posted by rw2516
I also believe this is correct. The only way for "the game" to end was by switching from birthright to chosen. To do this all heirs had to be eliminated, and the chosen ruler unable to have children. Jon's exile was the compromise that achieved this. His going free or being killed would have continued the fighting and not ended the "game"
Dany had to do something bad enough to make Jon eliminate her from the game. Jon had to made prisoner in order to bring that council together to end the game. Had he been killed the council wouldn't have happened and the fighting would just continue.
And in the end, Jon Snow is still the hero. The true heir who sacrificed it all for everybody else and rides into the sunset.
That's really, really good. I love that.

Originally Posted by dhmac
I love this, too.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Further, everyone on the council was either a castoff from their family or lowborn, The wheel is truly broken.
Love this.

All of those those and their conclusions really work. Again, all I know is YouTube clips, episode synopsis, etc. But all of these comments above seem a fitting way to end.

Originally Posted by dom56
That's beautiful.
Old 05-20-19, 10:44 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

After 8 years of loving the show and giving it praise, I got called out for trolling and threadcrapping when I didn't like the NK episode a few weeks ago.
No. You got called out for repeatedly just making comments like this. It does nothing for the conversation. Plenty here don't seem to like what happened with this season, but at least they are offering comments as to why instead of just saying fuck HBO, fuck D&D, GRRM is a corporate shill now who only cares about cashing checks over and over again. There's a difference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.