Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
48.95%
No
37.06%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
12.59%
Other
1.40%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Oh yeah, that scene when Dany walking forward at the top Drogon spread his wings behind her look liked she a evil she-demon that was pretty cool.
Old 05-20-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

It pretty much ended the only way it could've. It was fine.

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Wow, the level of bitching on facebook. Some are even crying that they wasted 10 years of their life. lol Nasty comments posting every 2 seconds in the fan group.
Fuck all fandom.

I loved this article from The Onion...

‘Game Of Thrones’ Showrunners Disappointed With How Quality Of Fans Has Dropped Off Over Past Couple Seasons

LOS ANGELES—Saying their once-beloved viewers have lost much of their luster in recent years, Game Of Thrones showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff acknowledged Friday they have been frustrated with the way fans of the HBO series have declined in quality over the past few seasons. “During the show’s first couple of years, our viewers showed a lot of promise and challenged our assumptions about what a fan base could be,” Benioff told reporters, lamenting the fact that when Game Of Thrones moved past George R.R. Martin’s original source material, the show’s supporters began to lose coherence and now barely resemble the industry-defining audience they once were. “At this point, however, they’ve become a tired cliché. It’s hard to watch them lose everything that made us love them in the first place. Nothing they do makes any sense anymore, and it just seems like they want the show to be over with as quickly as possible. It’s pretty sad, to be honest.” At press time, Benioff and Weiss expressed regret that they failed to do more to prevent the fans from becoming so unbelievably shitty.
Old 05-20-19, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

If anything I was a little underwhelmed, but it was OK. Bran the Useless becomes king, but I guess that wasn't really that important. The 'huge reveal' that Jon was the true heir to the throne turned out to be almost meaningless.
Old 05-20-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't find it ridiculous at all. Greyworm's character was defined by unflinchingly following Dany's lead and carrying out her orders. With her dead, he had no orders to follow, so all he could adhere to was what she'd given him before she died. She had put him in charge of her military, but not in a position of judicial authority. Sure, he could have decided to murder Jon, but that would not have been very consistent with his character. He's a soldier driven by cold duty and not by raw emotion.
At the moment Jon told Grey Worm he killed the queen (if that's even what he did, that's just you speculating), the guy doesn't go "wait a second" and then proceed to have a calm internal monologue about what he should do now that his queen is dead. That's also beyond ridiculous. That guy, before and after Missandei, only lived to serve his Queen, Danaerys, not any other queen or ruler. Jon would have been dead 2 seconds after telling him.

And, assuming Grey Worm doesn't kill him, what do you think would have happened when the Dothraki found out? They also would have gone "well geez... we got nobody to serve/follow now... let's bail!". Which is apparently what they did!

I'm pretty sure killing Dany isn't like killing the Night King, i.e. that the Unsullied and Dothraki woudn't suddenly die or put themselves on standby until the next suitable ruler shows up.

It's obvious to me they skipped that entire bit between Drogon flying away with Dany and Jon being in jail, because they had no idea how to handle it.

Last edited by eXcentris; 05-20-19 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't find it ridiculous at all. Greyworm's character was defined by unflinchingly following Dany's lead and carrying out her orders. With her dead, he had no orders to follow, so all he could adhere to was what she'd given him before she died. She had put him in charge of her military, but not in a position of judicial authority. Sure, he could have decided to murder Jon, but that would not have been very consistent with his character. He's a soldier driven by cold duty and not by raw emotion.
Did you not watch the previous episode? He threw that spear based on raw emotion (he watched his true love die).

Jon murdered his Queen. Raw emotion would dictate that he would kill Jon.
Old 05-20-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
At the moment Jon told Grey Worm he killed the queen (if that's even what he did, that's just you speculating), the guy doesn't go "wait a second" and then proceed to have a calm internal monologue about what he should do now that his queen is dead. That's also beyond ridiculous. That guy, before and after Missandei, only lived to serve his Queen, Danaerys, not any other queen or ruler. Jon would have been dead 2 seconds after telling him.
To quote someone I'm sure you view very highly, "that's just you speculating."

I justified my speculation with what has been established for these characters over several seasons. Can you say the same? When has Greyworm ever given into emotion that caused him to operate outside of the parameters he's been given?

Old 05-20-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

I do think it is reasonable to assume that a killer of the Queen would be arrested and later publicly executed rather than killed on sight.
Old 05-20-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Did you not watch the previous episode? He threw that spear based on raw emotion (he watched his true love die).
No, he threw that spear because he was following Dany's lead. He didn't throw it until he saw Dany laying waste to a surrendered city. There may have been emotion in it for him once Dany justified the act, but he was still only loyally following her lead.

Old 05-20-19, 12:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Terrible ending. Last 2 episodes were like WTF. The only shows that come close for endings I hate are Burn Notice and Dexter. Dexter is the only one I care to watch more than once. I'm not even sure if I care about a UHD release of the series now.

Aside from the ending being complete shit...

What about Daario Naharis? He's still sitting in Mereen and not pissed about Jon Snow killing his queen?

WTF happened to Benjin Stark? He wasn't shown after saving Jon.

We never saw the San girl or Oberyn's bitch die. Was kind of hoping the girl would survive the poison long enough to get saved and end up with Sir Braun.

I also found it strange Littlefinger was never mentioned. Sansa didn't even tell Tyrion and Jaime that he was responsible for everything that happened between their families, and it was all about her mother.

Jon being a Targaryen never made sense anyway. Based solely on the show. I don't do books. Fuck the books. This is based on observing ONLY the show. Remember the book Ned Stark got when he was looking into John Aryn's death? The book showing each family's line consisted of one hair color. Every Targaryen has silver hair, Lanisters had blonde. Every one of Robert's bastards had black hair. At one point, they said there were 19 bastards. Now fast forward to season 4 or 5 when they show young Cercei getting the witch to tell her future. The witch told her she would have 3 kids, and Robert would have 20. 20, not 19. There was no solid timeline for Rhaegar and Lyanna being together and Jon being born. Just that it happened, and Robert started a war to get her back. It's entirely possible he knocked her up before she left with Rhaegar. It makes more sense.
Old 05-20-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
"A Song of Ice & Fire"... I'm surprised it didn't also say "There and Back Again". Corny.
LOL, nice one.
Originally Posted by dhmac
Did they ever say where Drogon went?
They (Jon?) just said he went East.

Originally Posted by TGM
and the show did set up the possibility of soooo many spinoffs... Arya out West, Dany revived by dragon CPR and looking for revenge, Jon, Ghost, and Tormund at Castle Black, Sansa ruling the North, King Bran and his men of mischief....
I could live without them.
Dragon torches pointy chair, dragon leaves with body,
I liked the metaphor.
Jon is in jail. Wait what? They found out Jon killed Dany (how???) and he's still alive? rotf
Jon isn't someone who was going to hide it...it goes against the basic premise of the character.
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
So, in the end it didn't matter he was Targaryen.
In that respect, no.
However, it did complicate the nature of his relationship with Dany and, therefore, added to the drama.
Old 05-20-19, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go again.
Posters who say they just KNEW how it would all end...
Funny, I don't recall them putting down predictions BEFORE the episode aired.
That's some really pathetic shit.
Old 05-20-19, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Loved it. Great ending to a great season and a great show. It was great they offed Dany so early so we could see what happened with the Starks (it was always a story primarily about them) and thought it wrapped up about as good as it could be expected. Can’t wait to start my rewatch!
Old 05-20-19, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jon murdered his Queen. Raw emotion would dictate that he would kill Jon.
Of course he would, the notion that he's just some robot soldier waiting for orders is ridiculous. In order to believe that, you have to forget his entire love story with Missandei. Not only that but, it's also obvious that he's been full of rage since her death. And now Dany gets killed and he goes "ok then, not sure what to do here, better put you in jail and wait for new ruler".

And then there's the Dothraki...
Old 05-20-19, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

You wanna talk shit endings let me introduce you to Quantum Leap. I'm just getting over it now and it's been like 30 years.
Old 05-20-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

For a super short season, I think it ended about as well as it could be. It did feel a little rushed though (I hate using that term as IMO it's so cliched) But, I felt like this could have been spread out over 2 episodes maybe 3.

I was also underwhelmed when Bran was named the king. I found it a little strange that Tyrion, who was being labeled a criminal for betraying Dany, was able to lead the charge and convince everyone that Bran was the rightful king.

Jon Snow deserved a better ending. But, I wasn't surprised that he was basically sent away to live out his days in the boonies. I was happy to see him take out Dany.

I did like Arya bailing to basically bailing to become an explorer. I would watch the hell out of a Arya spinoff as an explorer/warrior.

Great scene seeing Tyrion mourn the deaths of Cersei and Jaime.

Overall, not the best series finale for a show that impacted pop culture like this one, but I was happy with my experience watching this show over the last 9 years/8 seasons.

Not surprised that this series finale is divisive among the really hard core fans of the show.
Old 05-20-19, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Waste of time.

Glad I saw John Wick 3 this weekend.

Also.. fuck Bran Stark. That little shit knew exactly what was going to happen and let thousands die.
Jesus. How many times has Bran said something to the effect of "You were exactly what you needed to be?"

Things had to go exactly as they did for things to turn out the way they did.

I was pretty happy with the finale. No big surprises, really, but as others have pointed out, still some tense moments.

They way things turned out, it may as well be Tyrion ruling. Bran seems as though he won't be offering much input.
Old 05-20-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts

I'm mixed on the ending. I never really complained about the rest of the episodes (except the darkness in the one) as I really enjoyed them. But Bran hasn't really been in the story line the last couple of years until this season.. it just seemed weird that at the end it came to him. It's like if the last episode of The Big Bang Theory was all about Stuart.

But anyhow they kind of made it clear that they broke the wheel and Bran's really just a figurehead and Tyrion is actually going to be the one calling the shots but I don't know.... they ended it in a much more hopeful place for the future which I guess is nice.

Overall though, despite what I would consider a lack-luster ending, I really enjoyed the series. However I can't imagine myself ever watching it again.

Edit: Forgot to mention it was bizarre to me that Jon lived. He kills the queen and Grey Worm doesn't kill him? Make no sense. Then he walks by Dothraki and they do nothing. I mean they sacrificed everything for their queen.. crossed the sea.. who knows how many thousands died.. and I don't see how they could see Jon's justification for doing what he did. But.. I guess.. oh well?

Last edited by General Zod; 05-20-19 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Of course he would, the notion that he's just some robot soldier waiting for orders is ridiculous. In order to believe that, you have to forget his entire love story with Missandei. Not only that but, it's also obvious that he's been full of rage since her death. And now Dany gets killed and he goes "ok then, not sure what to do here, better put you in jail and wait for new ruler".

And then there's the Dothraki...
Dothraki respect force. When Daenerys killed all the other Khals, their riders joined her. So it would be believable that the Dothraki would not harm the one who was able to defeat the mother of Dragons.
Old 05-20-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Even with the drop in quality this season it’s one of the best shows ever made

Ending was alright, they were never gonna be able to please everybody
Old 05-20-19, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This ending just limp-dicked its way to the finish line. I was a fan of all the episodes before it this season, but you can tell that they ran out of steam and didn't know how to end it properly, so they just said fuck it and threw something together. It's still a great series but that finale was meh.
Old 05-20-19, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead

Dothraki respect force. When Daenerys killed all the other Khals, their riders joined her. So it would be believable that the Dothraki would not harm the one who was able to defeat the mother of Dragons.
"joined her" as opposed to "we're ok with him in jail and then exiled forever"? And how is the later respecting force? The Dothraki aren't really known as subtle folks who have a Varys like approach when dealing with grey areas. They are more white and blackish, as in kill or be killed (or join).
Old 05-20-19, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

After the steaming turd pile that was the last few episodes, I was actually surprised that I enjoyed how everything was wrapped up in this one.

The scene where Brienne of Tarth filled in the Kingsguard entry for Jamie was touching, although in retrospect maybe it bordered on the sappy.
Old 05-20-19, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

meh. glad this season is done with.
Old 05-20-19, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

"joined her" as opposed to "we're ok with him in jail and then exiled forever"? And how is the later respecting force? The Dothraki aren't really known as subtle folks who have a Varys like approach when dealing with grey areas. They are more white and blackish, as in kill or be killed (or join).
D&D just took a page from 2016. The woman that wanted to rule got stabbed and all the persons of color went away. Jon gets sent to rebuild the wall.
Old 05-20-19, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

So at the end, didn't Jon actually blow off the Night's Watch and head off to live with the Wildlings and Tormund north of the Wall? Just making sure I was clear on it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.