Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the finale?
Yes
49.63%
No
35.56%
Not sure yet, need to sit on it.
13.33%
Other
1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Old 05-21-19, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

Originally Posted by smirnoffski View Post
Just a knack that, in the prior episode, they tried so hard to show death and destruction from the POV of the commoners in King's Landing. But their perspective is totally neglected in the finale. I would have at least expected to see scenes involving the commoners as they were rebuilding and reacting to the "election" of King Bran and even reacting to the concept of an elected king.
I mean, all the commoners in Kings Landing are dead. Seemingly the only people who are really affected are the North and the Lannisters. I'm not sure what Bran sitting on the Iron Throne does for the layperson, say, in Dorne or the Iron Islands.

"So, uh, the queen is dead. She and the pricks at Kings Landing were massacred by a dragon queen. Who's also dead. But her troops are like occupying parts of Westeros. And the remaining lords got together and decided this crippled Stark kid is going to be our king."

"Ok, but what does this do to our taxes?"
Old 05-21-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Game of Thrones (S8E06) -- 79 minute Series Finale -- “The Iron Throne” -- 5/19/19

The Guardian had a "GOT awards" article. I'd like to add one:

Worst investment/waste of space: The Golden Company
Old 05-21-19, 09:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Anyone see a preorder link for Season 8 at Walmart.com? Thanks. I only see DVD version...
Old 05-21-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I heard and read that the finale was pretty divisive, any truth to that?
Old 05-21-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
With Dexter you might as well just stop after season 4. The last season was the worst of any show I have ever watched.

Burn Notice had a good finale but the last few seasons were just repetitive.

I think the last season of Califronication was godawful, with the son.
Old 05-21-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sequel!

I was already there the moment they mentioned where Drogon was going. They literally gave her a comic book death. A world where fire resurrection is possible + body not being laid to rest + sad/angry Drogon going east to Volantis with her body + east being where Red Priests that can resurrect people are = too much for me to not be thinking Dany’s being resurrected.

I hope she realised what a dumpster Westeros is and just chills in Mereen. Send a covert message to Grey Worm and the Unsullied that the Queen is back, maybe even send one to ride or die girl Yara, and just chill and fix things in Essos.

Also, if Drogon is smart enough to know what the Iron Throne represents, than that boy is smart enough to know what the Red Priests represent. No wonder he didn’t kill Jon. Drogon knew this had to happen to get Dany back to her real home. Drogon is and has always been the true MVP of this show.
Old 05-22-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah chilling in Mereen instead of going after those who betrayed her seems like such a Dany thing to do.
Old 05-22-19, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Sequel!

https://twitter.com/drogonsdaughter/...23442859724800

I was already there the moment they mentioned where Drogon was going. They literally gave her a comic book death. A world where fire resurrection is possible + body not being laid to rest + sad/angry Drogon going east to Volantis with her body + east being where Red Priests that can resurrect people are = too much for me to not be thinking Dany’s being resurrected.

I hope she realised what a dumpster Westeros is and just chills in Mereen. Send a covert message to Grey Worm and the Unsullied that the Queen is back, maybe even send one to ride or die girl Yara, and just chill and fix things in Essos.

Also, if Drogon is smart enough to know what the Iron Throne represents, than that boy is smart enough to know what the Red Priests represent. No wonder he didn’t kill Jon. Drogon knew this had to happen to get Dany back to her real home. Drogon is and has always been the true MVP of this show.
That's the best post of this thread.
Old 05-22-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
It's never as good as a Song of Fire and Ice. It starts off great, but turns into a muddled mess halfway through. Brandon Sanderson comes to the rescue for the final books and delivers a satisfying ending.
I think WOT is both better and worse than ASOIAF. It does get a bit muddled though after a while but even then there are great elements.

Some ways I would compare:

Characters are more grey in ASOIAF but WOT has many many multi-dimensional characters that you can become real fans of. This will help the show.

ASOIAF has better, deeper dialogue which is the foundation of the early years of the show

WOW has better visuals which will translate well to TV

WOT is more exciting, GOT is more suprising and unexpected.

WOT is very much high fantasy and not realistic but fantastic. It will be difficult to get the tone right and not be cheesy.

Martin's first three books, are better written than WOTs first three, but I enjoyed WOT more. I have read ASOIAF 3 times, WOT at least 7 or 8 times partially, and 3 times complete.

Both are incredible as audiobooks.
Old 05-22-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I think WOT is both better and worse than ASOIAF. It does get a bit muddled though after a while but even then there are great elements.

Some ways I would compare:

Characters are more grey in ASOIAF but WOT has many many multi-dimensional characters that you can become real fans of. This will help the show.

ASOIAF has better, deeper dialogue which is the foundation of the early years of the show

WOW has better visuals which will translate well to TV

WOT is more exciting, GOT is more suprising and unexpected.

WOT is very much high fantasy and not realistic but fantastic. It will be difficult to get the tone right and not be cheesy.

Martin's first three books, are better written than WOTs first three, but I enjoyed WOT more. I have read ASOIAF 3 times, WOT at least 7 or 8 times partially, and 3 times complete.

Both are incredible as audiobooks.
Thanks. I have the WOT series on my Kindle but have never started them, now I will give it shot.
Old 05-22-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Drogon is and has always been the true MVP of this show.
I said something similar to my wife while watching the final episode. Then I quickly remembered that he's complicit in the slaughtering of countless innocent men, women and children in King's Landing.
Old 05-22-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I said something similar to my wife while watching the final episode. Then I quickly remembered that he's complicit in the slaughtering of countless innocent men, women and children in King's Landing.
Hey, he was just doing what he was ordered to do. I mean honestly, to him what's the difference between the white walkers he slaughtered and the people running around in Kings Landing?
Old 05-22-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Was this posted yet?

Old 05-22-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Old 05-22-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

that made my day! Thanks!!!
Old 05-22-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just rewatched this season in the past couple days. I didn't have a problem with the finale, but even still watching the episodes again in close succession helped me enjoy them even more. There's more nuance there than I noticed the first time. This is always the case when shows with big expectations also release one episode per week. If this season had been dropped all at once I think it would have been better received.

Knowing where things are going makes watching Jon and Dany's final scene a lot more poignant. He hasn't made up his mind to kill her until she says "they don't get to choose". While that was certainly discernible on the initial viewing, knowing where it's going helps you appreciate Jon's conflict even more.

I know it will probably be at least a year or two before I rewatch the series again, but I'm looking forward to doing so with the knowledge of where it ends.
Old 05-22-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I mean, all the commoners in Kings Landing are dead. Seemingly the only people who are really affected are the North and the Lannisters. I'm not sure what Bran sitting on the Iron Throne does for the layperson, say, in Dorne or the Iron Islands.
Oh, I doubt all the commoners are dead. For a real world example: plenty of people survived the terrible WWII firebombings of cities like Dresden and Tokyo.
Old 05-23-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched the finale as it aired but chose to dwell on it before posting any thoughts. Ultimately, I felt it was dull, boring, and predictable (based on how things were unfolding earlier in the season). I'd like to echo alot of Hiro11's thoughts. The show was deep and complex, but this season (and honestly the two before it as well) were shallow, simple, and rushed. Characters became tropes and made choices that were out of character, all for the sake of moving the plot from one action set piece to another. There was alot of fan service over these final seasons, and characters that should have died developed plot armor to keep the fans happy (Tyrion comes to mind, as does Jaime, who should have died when the Lannister army was destroyed by Drogon in season 7). There were plenty of other blunders by the showrunners during these last few seasons...the handling of Dorne was a travesty, Euron was a complete joke, the complete disregard for the size of the world (Dany saving Jon and Co), etc.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Ideally, GRRM would have focused on completing the books rather than getting involved in all these side projects and attending conventions and press events. There's no question HBO would have given D&D all the time and money they wanted (this is/was the biggest show in the fucking world, so any attempt to argue this will be laughed at), so there's no excuse for the shortened seasons. I think D&D were burned out and ready to move onto new projects, and that hurt the show. This is the type of show that deserves 10 seasons (10 seasons/100 episodes would have been perfect) to properly develop all the storylines. Asking for 10 seasons would have been a dream scenario (but unrealistic), but I could see another 7 episodes (the number D&D cut from the final two seasons) making a difference in a positive way, despite having to rely on D&D to come up with the rest of the story on their own (it blows my mind whenever someone cough EUnit cough claims these latter seasons are as good as the early ones. The quality of writing (GRRMs vs D&Ds) could not be more obvious).

I think the petitioning for a reshoot of season 8 is silly...just leave it be. I just hope that GRRM manages to finish the final two books because I'm confident his ending to the story will be much more satisfying than D&D's.
GoT, on the strength of the first half of its run, will remain among my favorite shows of all time, but it has been passed by Breaking Bad and The Shield, two shows that stayed strong throughout their entire runs. BB and The Shield were impeccably written with alot of attention to detail...all events, even seemingly minor ones, had an impact on the way the show ended, and I wish I could say the same for GoT.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 05-23-19 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-23-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been meaning to re-watch the Shield. Now there's a show with a fantastic ending.
Old 05-23-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 05-23-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
GoT, on the strength of the first half of its run, will remain among my favorite shows of all time, but it has been passed by Breaking Bad and The Shield, two shows that stayed strong throughout their entire runs. BB and The Shield were impeccably written with alot of attention to detail...all events, even seemingly minor ones, had an impact on the way the show ended, and I wish I could say the same for GoT.
It's not an easy show to rank. First 4-5 seasons, top 5 show (heck probably top 3), but in it's entirety I don't even think it's a top 10 show. In a few years time, I'll be curious to see where "best shows of all time" lists put it.
Old 05-24-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
It's not an easy show to rank. First 4-5 seasons, top 5 show (heck probably top 3), but in it's entirety I don't even think it's a top 10 show. In a few years time, I'll be curious to see where "best shows of all time" lists put it.
It will be somewhere in "Lost" territory I think...a show that people have fond memories of, but didn't care much for the final season.
Old 05-24-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nailed it:
Old 05-24-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't wanna blame D&D. They pitched this is an adaptation with a very reasonable expectation that Martin would get his fucking books done. Suddenly they were faced with the challenge of having to bring everything together and create an ending to someone else's lifework. All this while having never done TV before. In truth, that's not what the signed up for.
Could they have handed the reigns over to someone else? Maybe. That's speculation - the TV business doesn't always work like that.
Old 05-24-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Nailed it:
That was hilarious and sad.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.