Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Now GOT is Finishing, is there any Show which deserved a thread per episode ?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 12:16 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Now that GOT has finished, i think the default should be very single show has one thread per season, not per episode

IT's sad seeing episode threads with 4 responses

Only GOT generates any meaningful discussion. Not even Walking dead does that now

Old 05-19-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Now GOT is Finishing, is there any Show which deserved a thread per episode ?

Good point.
Old 05-19-19, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Now GOT is Finishing, is there any Show which deserved a thread per episode ?

I’m in favor of season threads, but not series threads. If a show becomes a one and done then the mods can edit the thread title to reflect it as a series thread.
Old 05-19-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

For better or worse, Westworld does.
Old 05-19-19, 03:04 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes i would agree with Westworld as an exception
Old 05-19-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Until another "event" series comes along, season threads should be fine. No reason for multiple Bob Hearts Abishola threads. Not that there will be that many in the first place...
Old 05-19-19, 09:48 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Price is Right?
Old 05-19-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I’m in favor of season threads, but not series threads. If a show becomes a one and done then the mods can edit the thread title to reflect it as a series thread.
I just thought of an exception to this. I think that when Crisis of Infinite Earths comes along that it should maybe have it’s own thread. I guess it really depends on how next season of Arrow goes, whether it’s mostly just Star City minus Oliver or if it’s actually GA hopping the multiverse.
Old 05-19-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Westworld is the only close enough. But it's still far from where GoT is right now.
Old 05-19-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The Flash still gets a lot of talk per episode.
Old 05-19-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

It's getting pretty apparent that the vast majority of scripted TV whether it's cable, streaming or network TV are just not appointment TV for most here. So interest is very minimal on wanting to talk about stuff week to week.

I think I've seen it mentioned it a few times, but some here say they watch what they watch, but really have nothing to say about it. That equals dead threads.
Old 05-19-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

GOT S8 is the only tv series/sitcom I've watched live for years. That's not just how people watch media anymore. And I'm old. Ask anyone under 25 if they do that. The overwhelming majority don't. Water cooler shows are now officially dead. Episode threads are pointless.
Old 05-19-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Probably Watchmen or HDM.
Old 05-19-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Season thread works.
Old 05-20-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Water cooler shows are now officially dead. Episode threads are pointless.
Right...until the next one comes along. People said it after The Sopranos, and Lost came. Then it was said after Lost, and Breaking Bad came. Then they said it after Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead came. Now we're saying it with Game of Thrones. Granted, some of those shows overlapped, but there will always be something...we just don't know what it is yet.

Could it be "The Continental" series upcoming on Starz? Lord of the Rings on Amazon? Watchmen on HBO? Or something that will come out of nowhere and capture everyone's imagination (this is actually the most likely scenario)?
Old 05-20-19, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Right...until the next one comes along. People said it after The Sopranos, and Lost came. Then it was said after Lost, and Breaking Bad came. Then they said it after Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead came. Now we're saying it with Game of Thrones. Granted, some of those shows overlapped, but there will always be something...we just don't know what it is yet.

Could it be "The Continental" series upcoming on Starz? Lord of the Rings on Amazon? Watchmen on HBO? Or something that will come out of nowhere and capture everyone's imagination (this is actually the most likely scenario)?
It won't be anything on a streaming service. The closest we ever got was Stranger Things, and even then you can't have a water cooler show if you have all the content released at once. People can't discuss it if they aren't all on the same episode at the same time.
Old 05-20-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
For better or worse, Westworld does.
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Yes i would agree with Westworld as an exception
Really?

I watched Westworld way after the fact, and going through and finding the episode threads, the discussion seemed pretty light. More than most other shows, sure, but not that much. Are we talking just from a spoiler/mystery standpoint?
Old 05-20-19, 10:02 AM

I think that's a big part of it. You have fan theories to discuss and debate. Plus the requisite "That was the worst episode ever!" bitching that has been as much of a staple of Westworld threads as the GoT ones lately.
Old 05-20-19, 10:44 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

A other show will come along, they always do. Even Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad picked up viewers long after season one or even season two as the fan base kept building. If you're asking what current show could do this, as others have said I hear amazing things about Westworld and I'd say Stranger Things has a similar vibe that could work for this. The only trick is people binge it.

I watch Matlock reruns on my day off, who's with me!
Old 05-20-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

You just can’t predict what will become popular “Event” TV that will have active discussions week after week which brings out the best and sometimes worst in people.

I’ve always thought according to this forum that only serialized shows bring discussion. But, even some semi popular and serialized shows currently on TV don’t bring out much discussion.

5 years ago, Empire was considered Event TV on FOX. That show quickly became irrelevant.

Its pretty obvious that not every new show has material that is worth talking about week after week.
Old 05-20-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
My point is that fewer and fewer people follow stuff on tv when it originally airs. And this trend isn't about to go away. Media isn't consumed that way anymore.
Old 05-20-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I would have said people need to start watching the Expanse week to week, but now it's moving to Amazon Prime, so I'm guessing it will be released all at once.

But seriously people, watch the Expanse!!!!
Old 05-20-19, 02:01 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Good Place should have an episode-by-episode thread, because it's highly serialized and a great show, but unfortunately only a handful of us are watching it week to week.
Old 05-20-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The Good Place should have an episode-by-episode thread, because it's highly serialized and a great show, but unfortunately only a handful of us are watching it week to week.
Same with stuff like Doom Patrol and Teen Titans, which comes out weekly, but the number of DC Universe subscribers is probably pretty low and even then it's always available so easy enough to binge. The DVR and then the advent of streaming really took the appointment out of appointment viewing, which was good for the consumer but man watercooler discussions will never be the same.
Old 05-20-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Ratings are down across the board. A hit today has a fraction of the audience a hit from ten or twenty years ago had.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.