DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Fleabag (Amazon) -- created by and starring Phoebe Waller-Bridge (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/647646-fleabag-amazon-created-starring-phoebe-waller-bridge.html)

dex14 05-15-19 07:04 AM

Fleabag (Amazon) -- created by and starring Phoebe Waller-Bridge

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0abfcc82d6.jpg

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I5Uv6cb9YRs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aX2ViKQFL_k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Award-winning writer, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, writes and stars as Fleabag, an unfiltered, dry-witted woman who hurls herself at modern living in London as she deals with the loss of her best friend, a breakup, and financial troubles at her café. Get an uncensored look at this fast-paced and funny confessional of a woman so totally detached, she’s utterly lost.
I guess no thread was made for this back in 2016. A shame. Very good show.

Season 2 drops this Friday, May 17th, on Amazon. Of course, it has already aired on the BBC.

jpcamb 05-15-19 07:40 AM

Re: Fleabag (Amazon) -- created by and starring Phoebe Waller-Bridge

First season was great! Contemplating rewatching it as its been a long time since I saw it. Will definitely tune in for the new season. :)

andicus 05-15-19 09:36 AM

The second series is also excellent.

Very minor spoiler regarding casting. You're introduced to the character in the first 5 minutes:
Spoiler:
Andrew Scott was a great addition to the cast!

And, FWIW, Fleabag has been discussed in the General UK Chatter thread. https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/60...w-chatter.html

wendersfan 05-15-19 09:48 AM

The second season was even better than the first, which I didn't think possible. And the series finale was perfect.

dex14 05-21-19 11:37 AM

I knocked out Season 2 last Friday. Really great stuff. I've become a real fan of Waller-Bridge.

Here is a great write up from Alan Sepinwall: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-r...finale-837647/

Is there any word on second season for Crashing? Or was that one and done?

andicus 05-21-19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13553561)
I knocked out Season 2 last Friday. Really great stuff. I've become a real fan of Waller-Bridge.

Here is a great write up from Alan Sepinwall: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-r...finale-837647/

Is there any word on second season for Crashing? Or was that one and done?

I didn't hear about Crashing S2 (would love to see it!), but I did read that she's said there won't be a S3 for Fleabag. That's too bad.

Bill Needle 05-21-19 08:36 PM

(Re-posted from the UK show thread)

Just binged S2. Amazing television; I absolutely loved it. What a cast.

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 13550338)
The second season was even better than the first, which I didn't think possible. And the series finale was perfect.

​​​​​​​Definitely.

jpcamb 06-10-19 08:01 AM

My biggest complaint on this season is it was only 6 episodes. It was over way too fast. I absolutely loved how
Spoiler:
Andrew Scott/The priest kept catching her asides to the camera. I could have pissed myself laughing at that exchange each time.

This is a show you should watch without your phone in hand as Phoebe has a shit ton of very subtle eye movements to the camera which are pretty priceless. I absolutely love her! I just hope its not years before a season 3 comes out.

andicus 06-10-19 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13562793)
My biggest complaint on this season is it was only 6 episodes. It was over way too fast. I absolutely loved how
Spoiler:
Andrew Scott/The priest kept catching her asides to the camera. I could have pissed myself laughing at that exchange each time.

This is a show you should watch without your phone in hand as Phoebe has a shit ton of very subtle eye movements to the camera which are pretty priceless. I absolutely love her! I just hope its not years before a season 3 comes out.

It won't be. Apparently it will never come out. She has said that the second series was the last, much to my disappointment. :(

dex14 06-10-19 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13562803)
It won't be. Apparently it will never come out. She has said that the second series was the last, much to my disappointment. :(

True... but she also has said:

Few people may be more familiar with the fluidity of the new model of TV than Phoebe Waller-Bridge. The celebrated British actress and scribe is set to bring back the Amazon dark comedy Fleabag in May, three years after she released what was intended to be a one-off adaptation of a stage play.

Taking that time away from the show is what actually inspired her to come back to the project, something Waller-Bridge initially didn’t want to do. “I decided to not to do a second season,” she said during the final panel of the Television Critics Association’s two-week winter press tour, “and I had real pride in my artistic integrity.”

She feels the same about a third season. With the second run in the can, Waller-Bridge says she’s putting Fleabag to bed again. “I may be surprised again,” she added.

As for the time gap, Waller-Bridge said it was one of the reasons why the material appealed to her again. She had no interest in picking up the narrative where it left off.

“I needed to take space from Fleabag after that first series and the play,” she said. “[The titular character's] a different person now. She’s in a different stage of her life. It’s not the immediate next chapter. You can delve into a whole new level of psychology and really depart from the first series.”

As for the events that happened between the first and second seasons, Waller-Bridge says the show handles them in true Fleabag fashion — with a quick break of the fourth wall.

“The most honest thing she’d do is just turn to you and tell you what was going on in a really quick way,” she said. “I just wanted to get rid of the exposition and get on with the story.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-again-1186562

Seems like it is over and if something strikes her, maybe she'll revisit. But it could be a long time.

andicus 06-10-19 09:31 AM

Well, that sounds like good news. "So you're saying there's a chance?" :D

Double_Oh_7 09-01-19 12:29 AM

So she has a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" deal?... do a season whenever you feel like it.

GoVegan 09-04-19 10:46 AM

I saw her float an idea for revisiting the show when she's 50.

I'm ok with either. The ending of season 2 was great, but I still want more. I'm going to a theatrical screening of the play next week just for a final fix.

JTH182 12-19-19 08:36 PM

I didn't even realize this first came out in 2016. Just binged both seasons in 2 days, and now I'm sad that there won't be a 3rd. This is a terrific show.

mphtrilogy 12-20-19 08:03 AM

just finished up S2, it was a fun ride... She's a talent for sure...

dex14 04-06-20 03:08 PM

Fleabag wasn't always a TV show. Before it was an Emmy-winning Amazon Prime dramedy, Fleabag was the name of a one-woman theatrical show by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. But now, fans of the former can now see Fleabag in its original form when a recording of the play becomes available to rent on Amazon this month to raise money for coronavirus charities.

Starting Friday, for two weeks the Fleabag play will be available to purchase as a 48-hour download on Amazon Prime Video in the U.S. and U.K. All proceeds will go to charities fighting coronavirus — namely The National Emergencies Trust (NET), NHS Charities Together, and Acting For Others. There is also a Fleabag Support Fund that will distribute grants of £2500 to U.K. theater freelancers affected by the crisis. Additional recipients in the U.S. will be announced later this week.

“I hope this filmed performance of Fleabag can help raise money while providing a little theatrical entertainment in these isolated times," Waller-Bridge said in a statement. "Thank you to all our partners and to the creative team who have waived their royalties from this production to raise money for such vital causes in this unbelievably challenging situation. All money raised will support the people throughout our society who are fighting for us on the frontlines and those financially devastated by the crisis, including those in the theatre community. Thank you in advance to those who donate. Now go get into bed with Fleabag! It’s for charity!"
https://ew.com/theater/phoebe-waller...irus-charities

dex14 04-10-20 12:27 PM

Rental of the play is up. It is $5.

davidh777 04-17-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13721351)
Rental of the play is up. It is $5.

She was on Colbert last night talking about it, and how proceeds are going to COVID charities and affected actors.

I don’t know why, but she just looked smoking in that remote video interview. I couldn’t take my eyes off her.

andicus 04-17-20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 13725510)
She was on Colbert last night talking about it, and how proceeds are going to COVID charities and affected actors.

I don’t know why, but she just looked smoking in that remote video interview. I couldn’t take my eyes off her.

I've always found her attractive. I was called a misogynist on another forum for saying so. :rolleyes:

whotony 04-18-20 08:13 PM

I couldn’t get through the first ep so I’m assuming it gets much better after that?

The Questyen 04-18-20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by whotony (Post 13726316)
I couldn’t get through the first ep so I’m assuming it gets much better after that?

Sounds like it just might not be for you. It's about as good as television gets from episode 1.

whotony 04-18-20 08:53 PM

Maybe, I’m willing to give it another try.

PacMan2006 04-18-20 11:38 PM

I love this show. But to be fair, it's striking to me how much of a copy it is of Michaela Coel's "Chewing Gum."

Double_Oh_7 04-19-20 06:18 AM

Season 1 is good, but S2 is about as perfect as television gets.

[email protected] 04-21-20 09:00 AM

When I first tried to watch it, I didn't like it either, gave up after the first episode (she's such an unlikable character). But after all the praise it got, I decided to give it a second chance. I'm glad I did, the show grew on me and I ended up liking it quite a bit. Maybe not as much as some critics did, but it was definitely enjoyable.