Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

Only thing that happened in this episode that gave ma a WTF moment was when Cersei just walked right past the Hound. He easily could have killed her and then fought his brother. It just seemed like a weird opportunity he passed up. He knew he was going to die anyhow.. why not at least go out knowing he took her out?
Old 05-13-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Only thing that happened in this episode that gave ma a WTF moment was when Cersei just walked right past the Hound. He easily could have killed her and then fought his brother. It just seemed like a weird opportunity he passed up. He knew he was going to die anyhow.. why not at least go out knowing he took her out?
What reason would he have? He's never cared who sat on the throne. His entire life has been about killing his brother.
Old 05-13-19, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
What reason would he have? He's never cared who sat on the throne. His entire life has been about killing his brother.
Mostly is affection for Arya. He knows she wants Cersei dead. It's the whole reason she came there with him. He could have at least done that for her.. it would have taken him like 3 seconds.
Old 05-13-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Jon is responsible for all those people dying also. It's just as much on him for betraying her.
If he doesn't feel the need to tell his sister's something that even he knows is going to ruin everything none of this happens. There was zero reason for him to tell them that especially with him knowing how they felt about her.
COMPLETELY agree.
She already felt cornered by deceit and betrayel.
Jon's finally set her off.
When he pushed her away, I knew how she would react.
Old 05-13-19, 12:48 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 05-13-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Skip to 31:40

Old 05-13-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go D&D. Thanks for subverting my expectations. You know what I had been expecting? For Dany to be like her Father. That she would burn them all. Oh, wait, that really happened? Now, I'll admit, you had me for a second when the bells started ringing. I thought, oh, maybe it's going to turn out different.
Nope. She burns them all. Ballistas ain't all that. Dany's been practicing on her PS4. Euron's crew were the backups. The first team were taking a rest down below deck. The Golden company became the roasted company. The soldiers of Kings Landing were Storm Troopers. I mean, talk about a one sided battle.
Thanks for making me truly, truly hate someone. Dany's a piece of shit.

Greyworm's a piece of shit. He threw his spear at an unarmed soldier, who was turned around. How cowardly is that?

The North are pieces of shit.

The unsullied are pieces of shit.

The Dothraki are as they have always been.

Here I was rooting for Cersie. For Cersie! I was hoping she had more up her sleeve.

Now, you did something good. You didn't have Arya kill Cersie. Thank you. Didn't give a flying fuck about Cleganebowl.

But, I do want Arya to kill Dany. I want that bitch dead. And Jon better rethink his bending the knee.

Bran needs changed.

Tyrion's gonna die, isn't he? Deranged Dany ain't gonna put up with his letting Jaime escape. She ain't gonna put up with anything, you know, like a tyrant.
How many did she kill? She's a fucking monster. Dragons have infinite fire breathing? Don't they need a cool down?

Varys we hardly knew ya. Really, we didn't.

Brienne, the most honorable person on the whole fucking planet gave up her virginity to a man who loves someone else very deeply. She was fucked, for fuck's sake.

Euron's dead! The swashbuckling pederast is dead! Ding! Dong!

Jaime is the same man he was in the first season, in love with Cersie. But, after the slaughter, the destruction, the Mad Queen? Well, I kinda teared up when the died together.

Sigh.

One more to go.

One.
Old 05-13-19, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

If he doesn't feel the need to tell his sister's something that even he knows is going to ruin everything none of this happens. There was zero reason for him to tell them that especially with him knowing how they felt about her.
Jon has been noble to a fault since the beginning.
Old 05-13-19, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

That was crazy.

Daenerys completely lost it. Total BBQ blood bath. Hard to empathize with her now after she murdered all those innocent people. She’s a fucking mass murderer psychopath.

There’s people online who are absolutely livid about this episode because of Dany’s turn. They think it ruined 7 seasons of character development with her. I guess those were rooting for her. But when you think about it, they’ve been slowly planting the seeds for Dany to fall apart. This episode was a culmination of everything against her causing her to snap. I think Jon basically rejecting her love was one of the last straws.

The Hounds final battle with his brother was pretty brutal. A fitting way for him to go out.

And Arya has more lives than a cat.

its going to be interesting to see what happens in the series finale. Pretty obvious the ending is going to be extremely divisive.

Also, really surprised they wrapped Cersei’s arc in this episode. I would have thought they would have kept her to the very end. I’m sure many are disappointed she died in a pile of rubble than getting her throat or head slashed. But I guess dying in the arms of her brother and their demented relationship was only appropriate.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-13-19 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-13-19, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I've fucking been telling you guys Dany would turn into the Mad Queen, but noooooooooooo...

#BURNTHEMALL
Old 05-13-19, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking / hoping Bran will warg Drogon in order to put an end to Dany's short reign. While I agree that Drogon probably wouldn't hurt Jon ("Aegon"), he's still a threat to everyone else as long as Dany is around. Wouldn't go as far as predicting the dragon is the one to kill Dany, but he could at least control it and make it docile to give someone a clear shot at getting to her. There has to be more to Bran's character & abilities than being the guy who broke the news about Jon's parentage.
Old 05-13-19, 05:34 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I still am dumbfounded that people didn’t see Dany coming a mile away after the end of last week’s episode. But just because she did what’s she’s done doesn’t mean I was rooting for Cersei either. Both were always power hungry. I think it was always going to come down to Jon. I’m looking forward to the finale regardless.
Old 05-13-19, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

With King's Landing destroyed, Winterfell will become the new capitol/seat of power with Sansa as queen and Tyrion at her side.
Jon, Dany, Grey Worm and the Dothraki all have to go. Who kills who and how is anybody's guess.
Jon will openly oppose Dany for the throne. She's not having it and Grey Worm kills Jon.
Ayra kills Dany because she's going to kill Sansa also.
The Dothraki army gets incinerated by the dragon.
Old 05-13-19, 05:52 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I think they’ll all be sitting at a table, and then just a black screen. The end.
Old 05-13-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Perfection 10/10 for me...
Old 05-13-19, 06:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Gorgeous looking episode.

Brienne better be in the finale... her last image shouldn't be head down weeping.

too bad Cersei didn't have those elephants. they would've helped. LOL.

ps: Dany has green eyes too.
Old 05-13-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
COMPLETELY agree.
She already felt cornered by deceit and betrayel.
Jon's finally set her off.
When he pushed her away, I knew how she would react.
she reacted that way because she accepted her destiny of being the Mad Queen... not because a boy rejected her. She wanted war, not a retreat.
Old 05-13-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

The most surprising part of this episode...that I felt kinda bad for Varys even though he has always been such a snake.
Old 05-13-19, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've fucking been telling you guys Dany would turn into the Mad Queen, but noooooooooooo...

#BURNTHEMALL

Old 05-13-19, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
she reacted that way because she accepted her destiny of being the Mad Queen... not because a boy rejected her. She wanted war, not a retreat.
Except for the fact they say that was the reason in the "inside the episode". All of her trusted advisors either died or betrayed her and she didn't have anyone to help calm her down. She didn't want to be the mad queen.
Old 05-13-19, 07:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Holy shit what an awful episode. This series started off so promising, multiple seasons of brilliance, but can’t imagine ever watching it again knowing how these last two seasons have gone.

A few great moments of course, love the Hound’s end, and Arya’s flee. But they ruined potentially great character arcs with Dany and Jaime, and the selective power of the dragons or the weapons used against them are beyond laughable.
Old 05-13-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Yea, last month I started a rewatch and I'm through the first 4 seasons. She is definitely about getting what she wants regardless of others. A brutal leader. I don't buy the argument that they changed her character this season. Her rage has been there since her marriage to Drogo, just controlled by whoever she had around her.
It was easy to cheer on Dany when she was freeing slaves and mass-crucifying their masters and burning down Slavers’ Bay, but then you have to realize that she’s going to do the same thing when she gets to Westeros and faces opposition. She has never not been ruthless and cruel to those who stood in the way of her ambitions.

She had always been an entitled, power-hungry narcissist. It was just difficult to see because we rooting for when she was taking on bad people.

Ned was dead wrong about Robert having her killed back in S1, and that is right in line with the harshness of the world that GOT has always presented to us.
True.

Old 05-13-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, who hired the Imperial Stormtroopers to man the scorpions? After being so effective in the previous episode, they can't hit the broad side of a barn in this one?

I think this episode for me was about characters remaining true to themselves despite what others (including the fanbase) might think.

Jaime's always said he would be by Cersei's side and he was.

Dany's talked about the Red Keep lying in ashes and it is. In fact, as she destroys King's Landing, the hidden caches of wildfire go off. The caches put in place by her dad, Mad King Aerys, to blow up King's Landing if Robert Baratheon took the city, which is why Jaime killed him.

I think Jon was surprised that his troops joined Dany's in the carnage/pillage - sadly they're only human, having no better nature.
Old 05-13-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/co..._stark_out_of/
Old 05-13-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I am not surprised or dissapointed that Dany went full "Mad Queen" this episode. I did find some other things frustrating, though. Jamie going back to Cersei felt like a waste of a character arc. Also, her dying by being crushed by rubble was wholly unsatisfying. Especially when they went through all the trouble of having the rest of the prophecy about her come true. Also, what was the point of Arya going to King's Landing at all? Nothing, now.

All my predictions have been wrong, but I'm hoping they're keeping Arya alive to kill Grey Worm, who is going to try to kill Jon. I guess we'll see.

And I really hope they don't do something dumb like Jamie and Cersei are still alive down there. But, they've done dumber stuff so we'll see about that too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.