TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

Old 05-14-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

For those of you that don't read the books and have been wondering:

What is the Cleganebowl?
Among the most popular Game of Thrones theories, fans have spent years waiting for the Cleganebowl—the showdown between brothers Sandor and Gregor Clegane, better known as The Hound and The Mountain.
Old 05-14-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Get Hype!
Old 05-14-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Solid viewpoint:
Old 05-14-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

about those megan ellison tweets - I think it's unwarranted to think that a character has to "earn" her motivation over a pre-defined amount of time in order to make it justifiable to snap and commit mass murder. At the end of season 7 there was no way she would have done what she did. But the fact that she lost Rhaegal, Jorah, Jon and Varys in the span of two episodes to me is enough of a reason to turn. It triggered her mad queen gene.
Old 05-14-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 404 Posts

Is there even an iron throne remaining for anyone to sit on?
Old 05-14-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 373 Likes on 272 Posts

OK so who was it on here that called Jamie Lanister growing his hand back?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/14/enter...rnd/index.html
Old 05-14-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,030 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
OK so who was it on here that called Jamie Lanister growing his hand back?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/14/enter...rnd/index.html
That wasn't on the show, just a behind-the-scenes publicity still.
Old 05-14-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Movie producer Megan Ellison, the founder of Annapura Pictures, put out a pretty nasty tweet to Weiss and Benioff.

https://twitter.com/meganeellison/st...75511432847360

But she later backtracked. I think she realized her comments were pretty unprofessional.

https://twitter.com/meganeellison/st...15327021637640

https://twitter.com/meganeellison/st...55562837217281
Thanks for that.

Hollywood is a very, very small community. Where not playing nice in public can be a career-ending move.

Calling these guys out as "obviously sexist fucks" .... did anyone see that coming? No? So ... how different is she than Dany?

If women have a problem with the stereotype of going bat-shit crazy, perhaps they shouldn't act that way and set women back in the process.
Old 05-14-19, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dany looked on impassionately as Drago poured molten gold over her brother's head killing him and some expected her to be some delicate flower. She burns up the slaver, the Dothraki leaders, etc. and some still expected her to be some delicate flower. She's shown her bad side over and over. We just didn't want to see it.
Old 05-14-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Yup. Let's assume that Dany dies. Honestly, I think the show ends with the last of the Targaryen bloodline (at least how it exists in the show) being stamped from the earth. That means that someway, somehow, Jon dies also. Who has the best claim to the Iron Throne at this point. Since Gendry has been legitimized by royal decree, wouldn't it be him? The deaths of Dany and Jon (and perhaps Tyrion as well) will provide a lot of gravitas to the final episode but the show ending with Gendry and Arya on the throne with Sansa as warden of the north would still give fans their "happy"-ish ending.
No doubt Gendry's stock has definitely risen. And I heard people theorizing about him before this season even started. However, for the average viewer, this would be ridiculed worse than the finale of Lost.

For someone with so little air-time before this season to be sitting on the Iron Throne? That's waaay out of left field. Are they setting up a very gifted blacksmith to sit on the Iron Throne? Seems to me he should be designing the next Iron Throne, not sitting on it.

That said, Arya could be queen and Gendry her Prince Phillip.
Old 05-14-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by barelypure
Dany looked on impassionately as Drago poured molten gold over her brother's head killing him and some expected her to be some delicate flower. She burns up the slaver, the Dothraki leaders, etc. and some still expected her to be some delicate flower. She's shown her bad side over and over. We just didn't want to see it.
exactly. I don't know why people are acting so shocked, or claiming that this transformation was so rushed. It's been right there for a long time.

Originally Posted by ctyankee
No doubt Gendry's stock has definitely risen. And I heard people theorizing about him before this season even started. However, for the average viewer, this would be ridiculed worse than the finale of Lost.

For someone with so little air-time before this season to be sitting on the Iron Throne? That's waaay out of left field. Are they setting up a very gifted blacksmith to sit on the Iron Throne? Seems to me he should be designing the next Iron Throne, not sitting on it.
Agreed. Gendry makes no sense.
Old 05-14-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
How did Jaime's returning to the woman he can't get over destroy all of his character development? Despite being an interesting, well portrayed character, despite his keeping his personal word to defend the North, despite his relationship with Brienne, he was haunted by personal demons, a family destiny he could not escape, and a love gone so very, very, wrong. He may not have been an outright villain, but he was hardly a good man.

I fucking hate fandom. If I wanted everything shit on constantly, I'd buy a dog and feed him laxatives.
Here's my problem with Jamie's story line, he pledged his sword to the north to save mankind, then shortly after having helped he said he never cared for the people anyway. Sloppy writing.
Old 05-14-19, 10:58 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

Thanks for that.

Hollywood is a very, very small community. Where not playing nice in public can be a career-ending move.

Calling these guys out as "obviously sexist fucks" .... did anyone see that coming? No? So ... how different is she than Dany?

If women have a problem with the stereotype of going bat-shit crazy, perhaps they shouldn't act that way and set women back in the process.

Maybe Dany was just on her period?

Old 05-14-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by barelypure
Exactly. Been saying that shit for years. But she's hawt!
Old 05-14-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I can't believe people still are arguing that it wasn't a complete leap.

I have no problem with her eventually going Mad Queen, but I'm sorry, we were not there yet. You can blah blah about foreshadowing, and prophecy (which they have ignored already countless times, so stop acting like that means anything anymore), but I just don't think she was there yet to burn all those innocent people. Yes, absolutely destroying the Red Keep after surrender, I could buy, but just literally flying back and forth and destroying the entirety of King's Landing? No, I'm sorry, but they did not lay enough groundwork for that.

Everyone keeps talking about all the bad shit she's done, about who she's burned, but who do they bring up? All people who either didn't bend the knee, in open defiance, or scumbag slavers and the like. This is a completely different thing, and to say, "oh they didn't love her", I'm not going to side with that as her taking that as a valid reason to light up the whole fucking city, after they have thrown down their weapons and surrender.

Nevermind the fact that Grey Worm, who seemed like a quite honorable guy, decides it's OK to kill soldiers who have laid down their weapons? Was that in character? Have we seen that before? I understand he just lost the love of his life, but really?
Old 05-14-19, 11:15 AM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Agreed. Gendry makes no sense.
Is he the Neville Longbottom of Game of Thrones, or something?
Old 05-14-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I understand he just lost the love of his life, but really?
Yes, really. He has no dick. She still loved him anyway. Now that she's gone, who will love a eunuch?
Old 05-14-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Nevermind the fact that Grey Worm, who seemed like a quite honorable guy, decides it's OK to kill soldiers who have laid down their weapons? Was that in character? Have we seen that before? I understand he just lost the love of his life, but really?
that was the far more problematic event, from a character development POV.
Old 05-14-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
Some people keep hoping for Return of the King.
I hope that doesn't happen.
GoT has ALWAYS been tough...no saccharin allowed.
Anything else would be completely out of character for the series.
Old 05-14-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Theon. Lady of Bear Island.
I'd argue against Theon's death. He pretty much committed suicide with that run into the Night King. He should have stood his ground, moving slightly forward, and fought instead of that rage suicide run. As it was it felt senseless.
Old 05-14-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

that was the far more problematic event, from a character development POV.
How so? His whole character arc was he was devoted to Dany and did whatever she told him too no matter the morality of it. As soon as he saw she was continuing to attack he continued also.
Old 05-14-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
How so? His whole character arc was he was devoted to Dany and did whatever she told him too no matter the morality of it. As soon as he saw she was continuing to attack he continued also.
good point, maybe so. It bugged me more, but it's not like we had a lot of insight into his character, so maybe it was the dishonorable nature that bothered me, and he always seemed honorable. But your explanation makes sense too.
Old 05-14-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen

Exactly.
Old 05-14-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

good point, maybe so. It bugged me more, but it's not like we had a lot of insight into his character, so maybe it was the dishonorable nature that bothered me, and he always seemed honorable. But your explanation makes sense too.

Missandei's death meant the one person who made him HUMAN is gone. Before her, he was just a eunuch soldier trained to kill...that's it. He was dreaming of a life with her after the war. That was all taken from him. That plus his loyalty to Danny means Greyworm has nothing to lose. "Fuck this city..."

People forget...VERY FEW characters on this show are 100% Pure/Good or Rotten/Evil. Even Cersie loved her children like no one else and seemed a great mother. Everyone has a dark and a light side.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-15-19 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 12:55 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for that.

The friend I watch GoT with is a young woman who is a very strong feminist. I mean, I'm a feminist, but not to the degree she is. At any rate, before the episode last Sunday we discussed what it would mean for the show when Daenerys were to 'broke bad' (we both expected that to happen). It would mean the two primary antagonists would both be women, so what would be the ramifications of that happening? We ended up concluding there were enough (generally) positive female characters to make up for it, particularly the Stark sisters.

Not sure my point, other than to mention that claims of sexism aren't necessarily unwarranted, but I would argue they probably are...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.