Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

I don't think that the writers would have to Biblical scholars to be aware of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse or that Death rides a White Horse...

The imagery at the end of the episode was both surreal, stark and foreboding. With hope thrown in for good measure.
Old 05-16-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
No, it was definitely Cersei and Jamie, or at least providing the boat for them. Now why he would do that favor for Tyrion and risk his own head, who knows?
I guess so. It just seemed odd to call Davos "the world's greatest smuggler" if all he wanted was a row boat left on the beach. Any random soldier could have gotten that accomplished. But maybe only Davos knew about the passage into the Red Keep from that spot near the shore and Tyrion needed him to provide the whole plan.
Old 05-16-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the same passage Tyrion used to escape and that he used to go in and have his conversation with Jamie last season.
Old 05-16-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I guess so. It just seemed odd to call Davos "the world's greatest smuggler" if all he wanted was a row boat left on the beach. Any random soldier could have gotten that accomplished. But maybe only Davos knew about the passage into the Red Keep from that spot near the shore and Tyrion needed him to provide the whole plan.
There's also the fact that the Iron Fleet is in the bay and getting that boat in was probably no small feat.
Old 05-16-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
It's the same passage Tyrion used to escape and that he used to go in and have his conversation with Jamie last season.
Good point. I'd forgotten about that.

There's also the fact that the Iron Fleet is in the bay and getting that boat in was probably no small feat.
Also a fair point.

Old 05-16-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ScHoLaR oF SMuT
if arya is smart she will have gotten the dead missandai's face to wear later as she murders grey worm and then dani
That's my guess too and Grey Worm's downfall as he is shocked to see the love of his life in front of him again. If it's Dani's downfall, that would mean that Jon is dead.
Old 05-16-19, 09:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://onairwithryan.iheart.com/con...NOCa-WBf0f51ro

Some "fans" are petitioning HBO to completely remake season 8 with "competent" writers.

I went ahead and started this.

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-hbo-do-...rones-season-8
Old 05-16-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Arya wouldn't have gotten Missandei's face for a whole host of reasons: she wasn't there, didn't see her die and probably doesn't know she's dead, and while she knows that Dany murdered thousands, she doesn't know what Grey Worm has done.
Old 05-16-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Fire...I try to avoid.
Do you really believe in a magical land, with magical people and magical beasts being flame retardant is out of the question?
Huh? I suspend my disbelief willingly on the subject. My point was simply in response to the "Jon doesn't have that Targaeryean (sp?) trait because fire burned him at some earlier point in the show". It seems to me that it is at least possible that it is a developed trait, because I find it hard to believe that Dany never ever came into contact with fire before the point that we saw. Because pretty much every kid in history gets burned by fire at some point, that's how kids learn not to touch fire. So it seems likely that she either knew she was impervious to fire from the get-go (she didn't), or that she gained that ability, that some event made her impervious to fire, i.e she wasn't always impervious. And if that is the case, the same could be true for Jon.
Old 05-16-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought the reason Viserys burned was because he wasn't "the dragon" and didn't have the traits/destiny to rule like Dany did. If we take that into account, then Jon in this universe is probably similarly destined, and they can handwave the previously burned stuff somehow.
Old 05-16-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Makes me wonder what Illyrio is doing, patiently waiting for his chance to cash in the favors Dany owes him. (I realize in the book there's a major plot point surrounding what Illyrio wants that is not in the show)
Old 05-16-19, 11:05 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Huh? I suspend my disbelief willingly on the subject. My point was simply in response to the "Jon doesn't have that Targaeryean (sp?) trait because fire burned him at some earlier point in the show". It seems to me that it is at least possible that it is a developed trait, because I find it hard to believe that Dany never ever came into contact with fire before the point that we saw. Because pretty much every kid in history gets burned by fire at some point, that's how kids learn not to touch fire. So it seems likely that she either knew she was impervious to fire from the get-go (she didn't), or that she gained that ability, that some event made her impervious to fire, i.e she wasn't always impervious. And if that is the case, the same could be true for Jon.
We got a glimpse of Dany's power in season one when she walked into a bath without flinching after her servant said it was still way too hot.
Old 05-16-19, 11:31 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://onairwithryan.iheart.com/con...NOCa-WBf0f51ro

Some "fans" are petitioning HBO to completely remake season 8 with "competent" writers.

The press is only making it worse by reporting on crap like this.
Old 05-16-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank god this thread has more of a reasonable discussion on the latest ep, and the series as a whole. It's fine to critique or compliment, but most of the reddit circlejerk threads are nauseating to read. Grown adults are taking a TV show way too seriously.

I thought Dany's fall from grace was well signposted. She has shown signs of cold ruthlessness since Season 1. The pace has certainly been accelerated this season and she has been driven to the edge since arriving in Westeros:

- Arrived at Dragonstone and shortly lost her allies the Greyjoys, Martells and Tyrells thereafter in quick succession due to strategic errors.
- This Jon Snow dude shows up and refuses to bend the knee. They both think the other is hot though so +1.
- She rescues him and his friends from the Army of the Dead. Loses one of her dragons as a result.
- Meets up with Cersei and believes that she will help them. Oops.
- Finally fucks this hot Jon dude. Yay!
- Arrives in Winterfell. The locals are xenophobes and the Starks and their allies are frosty as ice towards her.
- Wins the big battle with considerable casualties, including her closest advisor Jorah. She gets some credit for the victory, but Jon gets the love.
- Finds out that hot Jon is her nephew. She still finds him hot (incest is best!) but has a huge problem in that he now has the better claim for the Iron Throne.
- Swears Jon to secrecy, and he promptly blabs all to his family, who then blabs to Tyrion, who then tells Varys, who apparently tells everyone within ravens' flight distance.
- Loses another dragon.
- Her BFF Missandei is executed right in front of her, by Cersei no less.

So other than a few victories, Dany's arrival in Westeros has been beset by failure. She's lost two of her three "children", her closest allies are either dead or have betrayed her in some way and the remainder either distrust or outright hate her. The guy she loves turns out to be the rightful ruler. So on the cliff's edge, she finally says "fuck it, break the wheel be damned" and decides she will rule through fear as that seems to be the only thing that has worked for her in the past, as many places in Essos can attest to. She becomes the wheel. It's tragic but befitting her arc.
Old 05-16-19, 11:32 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QCHlCiB98N4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-16-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
https://youtu.be/9K7c0jXkaGc

”The Last Watch” documentary airs May 26th
I wonder if HBO is nervous that the finale will be poor received so this doc a week later will make ppl appreciate the sacrifice. lol
Old 05-16-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
We got a glimpse of Dany's power in season one when she walked into a bath without flinching after her servant said it was still way too hot.
And she picked the egg up that had been sitting on burning wood chips (or something like that) and didn't affect her, but it burned (i forgot her name)'s hands when she took it from her.
Old 05-16-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I wonder if HBO is nervous that the finale will be poor received so this doc a week later will make ppl appreciate the sacrifice. lol
Having it a week later will probably also let them keep subscribers for an extra month, depending on billing cycles.
Old 05-16-19, 03:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Arya wouldn't have gotten Missandei's face for a whole host of reasons: she wasn't there, didn't see her die and probably doesn't know she's dead, and while she knows that Dany murdered thousands, she doesn't know what Grey Worm has done.
Daniel i must disagree with you here. .arya CAN transition into ANY dead person's face ANYTIMEregardless of death timelines, cause of death or knowledge of events leading up to moment of mortality. arya in season 5 learned and earned her faceless skills and the mystical magic associated with face transitioning at the hall of black and white where arya has full access to the "hall of faces" which is nothing short of a criterion closet crammed fkn packed with every single dead human unit's face that ever was

Old 05-16-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ScHoLaR oF SMuT
Daniel i must disagree with you here. .arya CAN transition into ANY dead person's face ANYTIMEregardless of death timelines, cause of death or knowledge of events leading up to moment of mortality. arya in season 5 learned and earned her faceless skills and the mystical magic associated with face transitioning at the hall of black and white where arya has full access to the "hall of faces" which is nothing short of a criterion closet crammed fkn packed with every single dead human unit's face that ever was
Wait, does it say in the books that it has all the faces of every dead person ever no matter where or how they died? Also does Arya have to go back there every time to get a new face?
Old 05-16-19, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by ctyankee
That's my guess too and Grey Worm's downfall as he is shocked to see the love of his life in front of him again. If it's Dani's downfall, that would mean that Jon is dead.
thats right!!!! you and i are riding this monkey train out of the chaos, out of the heartbreak... and right into the glory - with you and your pride and me with my husky puppy ,Stinky
Old 05-16-19, 03:24 PM

Wait, does it say in the books that it has all the faces of every dead person ever no matter where or how they died? Also does Arya have to go back there every time to get a new face?
no. not every single dead face is stored there.......it has the faces ONLY of those who died that were not wearing "other" people's faces.

also... arya does NOT have to go to the hall of faces. to fetch a face..she can wear anyone's face no matter where she is and she also can alter her body frame to impersonate men or women..(** look S07 ..she became fugly walder frey)
this hall of faces is where arya and all faceless assassassins learn to be "no one"...when they train and get to that level the Faceless god augments assassins with magic along with the necessary conventional ritual of washing, skinning and drying the dead person so as to "wear" them as the assassin impersonates to do a greater good...

Last edited by ScHoLaR oF SMuT; 05-16-19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Here's a visual (warning, large):

Spoiler:

Should I setup another poll?

Originally Posted by Gunde
We are talking about adults getting this worked up over god damn fiction.
They do all time...it's called "politics."

Sure, I get ya.
However, my point was this is a MAGICAL environment the story takes place in, meaning that which is rational can go out the window at any time.
Old 05-16-19, 04:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

We’ve already established that teleport devices are conveniently located throughout the map.
Old 05-16-19, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, she can just fast travel to any city she's already visited.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.