Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is trying to watch a 22-25 episode season (1 hour drama) simply too much to commit to these days?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Is trying to watch a 22 to 25 episode season for a 1 hr drama too much for you these days?
Yes
28.30%
No
41.51%
Depends
30.19%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Is trying to watch a 22-25 episode season (1 hour drama) simply too much to commit to these days?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Question is in the title. Is trying to following a 22 to 25 episode season for a 1 hour drama simply too much of a chore or time commitment for you these days?

Let alone trying to follow more than a handful of shows. Most 1 hour dramas on the main networks produce that much.

Or do you like the fact that you get more content and more episodes to develop characters and story? Or are you simply weary and tired of the huge time commitment?
Old 05-09-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Is trying to watch a 22-25 episode season (1 hour drama) simply too much to commit to these days?

In a general sense, yes.

I've found that if I'm not watching a show live or semi-live, it ends up piling up on the dvr. It seems like a huge chore to watch tons of piled up episodes, independent of whether the show is episodic or serialized.
Old 05-09-19, 04:27 PM

Re: Is trying to watch a 22-25 episode season (1 hour drama) simply too much to commit to these days?

Originally Posted by DJariya
Or do you like the fact that you get more content and more episodes to develop characters and story? Or are you simply weary and tired of the huge time commitment?
Whether serialized or not, I've found that I've become weary and tired of the huge time commitment.

For example, nowadays I would find it difficult to commit time to something like the original Dallas or Dynasty with 25-30 episodes per season. Especially if I'm not watching it live or semi-live. (This is the primary reason why I don't really buy tv on dvd/bluray sets anymore).
Old 05-09-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It really depends on the quality of the show and the characters to me. I think it is a valid argument that shorter seasons forces a show to be tighter with less filler episodes. But I will say that really good shows use those filler episodes to flesh out character and maybe be a little more nuanced and a little less reliant on plot. It is a different (and dying) animal for the most part, but I would not let the number of episodes prevent me from watching a show that I think I would enjoy
Old 05-09-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I voted no but will admit to having the entire season of Blacklist on the DVR with no immediate plans or time to watch. Meanwhile I'm binging Castle so take that for what it's worth.
Old 05-09-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I started to watch Supernatural when it was around season ten. It’s been too much to watch everything. Only show I’ve wanted to watch but got exhausted.

Will probably bing Game of Thrones at some point. Never watched a minute.
Old 05-09-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Overall, yes. Feel like 6-8 episodes is the sweet spot, 10 can work too. Even 13 feels a bit much now. For example, I watch the DC CW shows but by Feb/March I'm ready for them to end.
Old 05-09-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I only watch a few so I don't think it's a big time sink if I'm watching weekly over a 8-9 month period.

I want to say quality plays a factor. You have a show like Walking Dead with short seasons go to shit so they pile up on the DVR while I've binge watched 3.5 full 22 episode seasons of Brooklyn 99 in the last couple months (and before that the entire My Name is Earl run). So season length might be less important than quality.
Old 05-09-19, 07:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If its good and a crisp actiony type show, nope... if its a drama-ish show... yep
Old 05-09-19, 07:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

As per my comments on the other thread, yes, way too many episodes, in this day and age. Especially with streaming and the shit ton of TV shows being made.
Old 05-09-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I want to say quality plays a factor. You have a show like Walking Dead with short seasons go to shit so they pile up on the DVR while I've binge watched 3.5 full 22 episode seasons of Brooklyn 99 in the last couple months (and before that the entire My Name is Earl run). So season length might be less important than quality.
B99 is a 30 minute show. I was talking specifically about 1 hour dramas that air over 8 to 9 months during the TV season.

Watching a 1 hour is committing 900 to 1000 minutes plus with no commercials per show or more with potentially multiple shows. That’s a huge time commitment, especially for many here who seem to simply have no time to watch that much TV.

if you DVR say 10 1 hour dramas, that’s roughly 10,000 minutes of only Network TV to commit to. That’s probably extremely daunting for most here who barely have time to do other things like play with their kids, eat or sleep. And then there’s cable and streaming content.

I’ve sensed in this forum that interest in new network TV shows has declined because most here simply don’t want to commit that kind of time to new shows in addition to stuff that try to watch already.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-09-19 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-09-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Wasn't it Netflix that determined viewers rarely hang on past 10-12 episodes today?

Personally, if the show is awesome with compelling characters, I'll find the time. Being a huge X-Files' fan, I'd be crushed if we only got 10 episodes of it per season. But many shows don't meet that bar, which is often why I end up dumping a series after 6-7 episodes.
Old 05-09-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

10 episodes is a perfect season length for me. 6-8 episodes feels too short (I enjoy 1-2 filler episodes where they flesh out a certain character). 12-13 episodes feels too long now, as they usually end up with 3-4 filler episodes. I think the perfect show for me should be 5 years, 10 episodes a year, as so many shows jump the shark in that 6th, 7th, 8th season.
Old 05-09-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

I have ~18 I'm watching currently, and about 1-3 weeks behind. Most are shows I watch with the wife, and some I watch on my own.

I also have ~12 1/2 hr shows currently watching, and same backlog, varies between 1-3 weeks. These aren't dramas, but they're still going to run over 20 episodes.

So, the short answer is "no" because I am doing it. But I've been saying for the past 3 or so years that I want to thin out the list.

When the writer's strike happened years ago, and after they settled I was not happy they cut the seasons to around 8-12 episodes that year. But now, I'd be fine if they cut it back.
Old 05-09-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 405 Posts

If the creators felt they needed that many episodes to tell their story then sure but that's not why shows had that many episodes.
Old 05-09-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

At this point, there are a few shows I would like in the 10-13 episode range. I like a lot of shows and 22-23 is starting to feel REALLY long. I enjoy everything I watch yet I'm good with the upcoming summer break so I have less to keep up with for a while.
Old 05-10-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only shows that meets the OP criteria that my wife and I are currently watching are Supernatural and Agents of SHIELD (which is switching to shorter seasons for 6 & 7) -- I don't it's an issue with a time investment that keeps us from watching other 22 episodes hour longs, it's that most of them are typical network schlock and aren't very good, and wouldn't be worth my time even if they were 8 episodes.

Last edited by ultimaton; 05-10-19 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Forgot about SHIELD
Old 05-10-19, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
In practice, I've found that show quality has very little to no bearing on my viewing patterns.

For example in the recent past, one of the few shows which I looked forward to watching live, turned out to be one of the worst tv shows ever produced: CSI Cyber. It turns out the atrocious CSI Cyber also had a very high rewatch value for me on the dvr, and later the dvd versions.

On the other hand, other really horrible tv shows either didn't keep my attention and/or had no rewatch value for me, such as Under The Dome or Scorpion.

On the other side of the coin, some "high quality" shows didn't keep my interest at all such as Game of Thrones.
Old 05-10-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Yes. Not only is there just too damn much TV, but I also find myself less and less willing/able to both mentally and physically watch as many episode as I used to.
Old 05-10-19, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I gave up The Good Doctor, New Amsterdam, and that new Hulu show with Dexter's ex-wife because it was too much. I only follow Grey's Anatomy, This is Us, and this may sound funny but there's a third show whose name escapes me that I follow religiously but I can't think of the name now and can't access Hulu right now. Other than that just Game of Thrones which is about to end. I'll go weeks sometimes without watching and then watch a few in a row.

I do follow other shows which are cyclical, Orange is the New Black, The Handmaiden's Tale, and Cobra Kai.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 05-10-19 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I gave up The Good Doctor, New Amsterdam, and that new Hulu show with Dexter's ex-wife because it was too much. I only follow Grey's Anatomy, This is Us, and this may sound funny but there's a third show whose name escapes me that I follow religiously but I can't think of the name now and can't access Hulu right now. Other than that just Game of Thrones which is about to end. I'll go weeks sometimes without watching and then watch a few in a row.

I do follow other shows which are cyclical, Orange is the New Black, The Handmaiden's Tale, and Cobra Kai.
The Good Doctor is only 18 episodes. But close enough I guess

and The Enemy Within is also a short season (13 I think because it premiered midseason), but it's NBC, not Hulu.
Old 05-10-19, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Good Doctor is only 18 episodes. But close enough I guess

and The Enemy Within is also a short season (13 I think because it premiered midseason), but it's NBC, not Hulu.
Available through Hulu
Old 05-10-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

for me it depends on the show but if they are doing a ten episode arc with a mid season finale and then come back a few months later with the second half I would be good depending again on the quality of the show. most shows on TV or cable don't have the chops to pull off 20 episodes at an hour each. I gave up on Vikings when it started to pile up but I also thought the story started to suffer ever since Ragnor Luthbridge died and his kids were simply not able to carry the show. TWD arguably sucks now and I cant think of a show that I would like to see that many episodes of.
Old 05-10-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Depends on:
1) How engaging the show is
2) How much extra free time the viewer has
Old 05-10-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

If it's a good or fun show, no problem.

What's more annoying to me are the shows with short seasons and more than a year between seasons. I forget everything that happened.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.